This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kes
    ITogetherness for Sam/Jack is No.1 (no Pete Shanahan is number 7, btw). Ahead of any of the other story arcs, ahead of team adventures (that isn't even listed). I'm kind of depressed reading that. I guess shippiness really is the number one thing fans care about.
    Who wants great action/adventure storytelling when you can have cheap melodrama and generic soap opera instead?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      "Pete should be shoved through the vortex of an incoming wormhole"? "OFF WITH HIS HEAD"?? This sounds neither constructive nor like "criticism with good reasons." And no, in this case I can't take a joke, especially because I don't get the feeling that these people are kidding.
      See now statements like that I wasn't defending...

It's directed at shippers and anyone else who want simply for the character to die, no matter what. A majority of them may be shippers, yes, but I know that not ALL of them are.
      Thats what I thought. I'm not defending everyone - far from it - just saying there are many that don't want Pete to burn eternally or anything. Not that you were making unfair sweeping generalisations, I just thought your post presented a good opportunity to rant lol.

I've written a couple of fluffy parodying fics that kill off Daniel even though I don't honestly wish to see the character disappear again, so I suppose I'll have to grant some leeway on the subject, but somehow a lot of the comments I'm seeing here don't seem as if they're intended to be funny... or they seem light-hearted only because the person posting the death wishes takes such absolute joy in the thought of Pete's demise. Could be a matter of perspective, I guess, but it still doesn't sit well with me.
      That's what I was getting at with the S/J thread...most - not all - I believe take it less than seriously. I say this because some of the same people who say they want Sam to realise she wants Jack and break up with Pete, rather than having Pete die or turn evil will sometimes make 'potatoe' comments. Along the lines of mashed potatoes...(not me I swear).

But I can absolutely see how that is offensive.

If they want the story handled intelligently, they should hire different writers. Sadly, I really do think that's the only way it'll happen because I get the sense that TPTB are set to demonize Pete right alongside the fans.
      Lol. I don't think the powers expected him to be demonized to this extent....they certainly would have expected a reaction, and lots of unthinking horrible comments, but I get the impression his actions weren't initially intended to be so controversial. Then again, controversy = discussion/arguing = publicity.

I am a very big fan of Sam and I feel that her "feelings" for Jack have been far more damaging to her character than anything associated with Pete. Even with my truncated viewing, season seven has done more to diminish my love of Sam (and Jack, for that matter) than in all the other seasons combined and the most obvious reason for that is the Sam/Jack storyline. Even when she's supposed to be involved with Pete she's still moping after Jack!
      Sadly, you are not alone on this. Quite a few shippers agree. In fact there was a discussion on the shipper thread recently which had people questioning whether they were on the right thread lol.

Pete has done some less-than-stellar things, but I found them acceptable within the context of the story and Jack isn't exactly a saint, himself. Different contexts? Maybe. But I still think that Pete acted out of love and concern and not out of some sick desire to control every aspect of Sam's life. Jack has done some pretty terrible things himself out of concern for the welfare of humanity, things I haven't always liked or agreed with, but he did them because he felt that he HAD to and I don't think that Pete's reasoning is all that different. Just more personal.
      Yes, more personal. And the good of humanity is slightly different than the good of your new girlfriend. I guess what bothered me is that the relationship was still fairly new, so it was fairly out of line (in my opinion) for a guy you've known a few weeks - a month at the most. Don't think it was a sick desire to control every aspect of Sam's life but it still didn't sit well with me. And, since we're comparing him to Jack, I gotto mention that Jack trusts Sam(and has been in a relationship...friendship...with her for 7 years), and trusts his whole team, completely and unconditionally and vice versa - doesn't always agree or listen as he should, but he trusts their motives, their reasoning etc. It felt like Pete was very mistrusting of Sam, and trust is just so important when forming the basis of a relationship.

I'm one of the ones who would like to see Sam married off to Pete. I think he's far better for her than Jack could ever be.
      I'm happy to agree to disagree on that one. Pete isn't pure evil as some seem to suggest and I think his intentions are basically good, but I don't think he's the best guy for Sam. And I don't want to see her married off to anyone really...don't want a wedding even to Jack (though I doubt you are saying you want her to walk down the ramp in the gateroom dressed in white, with hammond throwing rice in the air huh )

Unfortunately, I also know there isn't a chance in hell of that happening because TPTB are a bunch of Sam/Jack shippers and while they may get off by tormenting the shippers occasionally, in the end their goals are the same: Sam & Jack forever! I find it very depressing. It's one of the reasons I've stopped watching. I much prefer a show where I am allowed to decide whether or not I see ship and where I don't have it shoved down my throat all the time.

If you Sam/Jack shippers hate being taunted with Pete, just imagine how we non-Sam/Jack shippers feel having the S/J ship thrown in our faces. It isn't a pleasant feeling but at least you all can rest knowing that Pete will eventually go away- after all, he's just The Obstacle. For us (or for me at least), I/we know that we're doomed to more and more blatant S/J ship for the rest of the show's life and that the finale will likely end in a very pro-shippy way. Be glad you're on the winning side. Let us have our small victories while we can.
      I can absolutely sympathise with that. Even though some shippers are doubting the overall scheme of things, I'm fairly confident Sam and Jack will end up together in some shape or form eventually.

That must be really hard for non-shippers or anti-shippers or Sam-Pete shippers.

Then again, the shippers aren't super happy about it either....there are concerns the powers will muddy the waters too much in the meantime.

What I'm getting at is that *cue violins*, we are all fans of stargate, we all watch the same show, we all want engrossing storylines and authentic relationships btw characters. If you prick me, do I not bleed...LOL! And we all seem discontent about SOMETHING at the moment....hmm.

Anyway I agree with the spirit of your statements - ie that real death wishes on a character you don't like are childish, unnecessary and disturbing and that there is no place for them on a general forum.

The psychotics anonymous forum is another matter...

Comment

Shadow...

Here's one I prepared earlier

I've pulled over a post of mine from the shipper thread. It quotes Shipperahoy, who is basically saying what you are saying. Just thought you'd like to know that your point of view isn't being ignored.

Everything I say is about the shippers on that thread, not anybody who has expressed views about Pete on this thread or others.

Originally Posted by Shipperahoy
        Can I just take a moment to go off on a little rant here? And I want to make it clear that I'm not posting as a mod but merely expressing a pet peeve of mine.

I just want to say that I find the recent more and more violent posts toward Pete somewhat disturbing. And I'm not targeting this thread I'm just posting here because I know that everyone here is not particularly fond of Pete, including myself. But does anyone else find the "Die, Pete, Die!" sentiments to be a little much. I don't really want to see Pete again and I most certainly don't want him to end up with Sam but I don't want to see him die a horrible death either. Am I alone in this? Does anyone agree with me?
        I agree with you 100%.

Wishing him dead is not the solution.

In fact I just posted a long thing about this, kind of defending the shippers, over at the season 8 thread where the new pete spoilers are (the name escapes me just now), saying that I think most of the shippers say nasty things about Pete only on the shipper thread, and only to vent and to be humorous - which is why the whole potatoe thing started. It's childish and not very productive, but at least it isn't meant maliciously.

I find it very disturbing if anybody actually goes around with the 'die Pete die' or similar mantra and truly believes in it.

Even if they don't really believe it and mean it to be light-hearted, there should be some indication - especially outside of the shipper thread - that it is meant that way.

I don't think I've ever said anything bad about Pete - apart from some sighing and grumbling and some upset smilies - but I'll be more cautious in future anyway.
        And on that note....BED

We need a snoozing smiley.
        Last edited by SaharaGate; 13 May 2004, 05:58 AM.

Comment

I really don't wish Pete to die. That's just a little too cliched, and it continues that "Black Widow Curse" of Sam's. I do, however, want to see him get what he deserves from Sam- the whole stalking thing was not the smartest move the guy has ever made. I have to say, though, that I did like Pete, and I think they have created a great character in him. However, I completely disagree with what he did, and I hope that Sam will realize that this season.
          Always remember to smile. People will wonder what you're up to.

Comment

I know that somewhere deep down in my heart I should be all ticky that Pete is still sticking around. At this point though - I don't really care.

For me personally, I like to stick with the "Same deserves a guy" concept. Why should she have to wait around for Jack to be ready to start a real relationship? It ain't exactly fair, and I doubt that many people do that in RL. But somehow, it is OK in the media because "they're meant to be together".

Just because Sam is with Pete doesn't mean that she can't dump his sorry ass at any point. And just because Sam is meant to be with Jack doesn't mean that she isn't allowed to have some fun along the way. She isn't bound to either in that kind of way - nor should she need to be.

About what he did? Yeah - I agree that it was completely and utterly stupid and I can't wait for his butt to be kicked for it. But not every guy that Sam lays eyes on should be the AntiChrist. It isn't fair to all of those guys out there in the galaxy, and it ain't fair to her, is it?

That's my two cents anyway. Let's not limit Sam to one or the other,but be open to ALL of the possibilities, eh?

Comment

i agree with you shadow some people are so hostile, its unfortunate we cant all get along with eachother without putting people and character, even the good one's down.

Comment

I am so tired of Pete. Tired of the fact that the writers seem to think that personal stories about the team have to necessarily be about them and someone else rather than the team's own interpersonal relationships. If this is really to be the last year, wouldn't it be more of a tribute to the cast and their characters to come full circle and show how they have changed as teammates and friends from season 1? No need for Pete or the girl-next-door or anyone else like that...just good solid interplay between Jack and Sam and Daniel and Teal'c. Oh...and the Stargate!

Comment

I don't see how "letters" to a site like Gateworld can be considered a testament of how most fans feel. I have no doubt one could gather just as many opinions against ship if one went to other places.

Also, Sam would have to be stupid if she didn't "know" what Pete did even before she revealed the existence of the Stargate to him. Her file is flagged, any time it gets looked at it is going to be reported--so they'd already know and have figured out that Pete was behind that through his FBI friend and Sam would have been informed.

But even leaving the "flagged file" out of it, are we supposed to believe she thinks Pete just happened to be walking down that residential street in Colorado Springs at the time she happened to be leaving that van? It's ridiculous.

The only way for him to have gotten there was for him to have followed her all day the day before and spent the night there. So for them to have Sam claim ignorance is just totally unbelievable.

More than that Pete was going to the door of the van BEFORE Sam got out of it, that is why he was right there when she stepped out. That means he was going to reveal his presense there to her himself. So he'd have to tell her why he was there anyway, because that is what he was going to do in the first place. That means he was going to take the consequences for it as well.

If the writers play it any other way, it becomes utterly unbelievable and ridiculous, imo.
                  Last edited by epiphany; 13 May 2004, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SaharaGate

That must be really hard for non-shippers or anti-shippers or Sam-Pete shippers.
                    We're used to it! After all the interviews AT used to give saying that she didn't want a romance between Sam and Jack and didn't want to end up Jack's girl, after we spent years happily watching a show where none of the main characters seemed to feel a need to distract us from the SF and the adventure by gazing longingly at each other, after really enjoying the platonic and professional relationship Jack had with Sam, after various PTB have told us that there would be no more ship after episode X, or that episode Y exists to put an end to ship... well we're used to not getting what we thought we'd been promised or what we wantedto see or what we once fell in love with the show for

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                      ...we're used to not getting what we thought we'd been promised or what we wantedto see or what we once fell in love with the show for
                      TPTB didn't secretly hire Chris Carter, did they?? That would explain a LOT. From the crappy storylines to the poor characterization to the painting of Sam as a weepy inconstant girly girl to the blatant in-your-face ship which directly countermands promises made to the fans... I'm definitely getting X-Files flashbacks... and not just 'cause of some storyline similarities.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                        If they want the story handled intelligently, they should hire different writers. Sadly, I really do think that's the only way it'll happen because I get the sense that TPTB are set to demonize Pete right alongside the fans.
                        I wouldn't be too sure. I just listened to the DVD audio commentary for 'Chimera' the other day, and they talk about how Pete will return in an episode called something like "Pete is back and he's still a nice guy". (Yeah, they said that!) They also said that Pete and Sam may take their relationship to "the next logical level", whatever that means. They didn't elaborate, they were just throwing out a few hints... But I wouldn't count Pete out just yet.
                        Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                          I wouldn't be too sure. I just listened to the DVD audio commentary for 'Chimera' the other day, and they talk about how Pete will return in an episode called something like "Pete is back and he's still a nice guy". (Yeah, they said that!) They also said that Pete and Sam may take their relationship to "the next logical level", whatever that means. They didn't elaborate, they were just throwing out a few hints... But I wouldn't count Pete out just yet.
                          Out of politelness (and a rare moment of tact) I won't comment except to say that I sincerely hope you're right. However, I hope you don't mind if I don't hold my breath.

Comment

Dang. I was really hoping you'd hold your breath.
                            Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

oh shadow your so sinicle, anyway i dont mind looking on to see how the sam/pete things progresses, i have high hopes for this.

*hoping they dont get shot down like a UAV*

Comment

Originally posted by epiphany
                                [snip]
                                More than that Pete was going to the door of the van BEFORE Sam got out of it, that is why he was right there when she stepped out. That means he was going to reveal his presense there to her himself. So he'd have to tell her why he was there anyway, because that is what he was going to do in the first place. That means he was going to take the consequences for it as well.

If the writers play it any other way, it becomes utterly unbelievable and ridiculous, imo.
                                Okay fine. He's Mr. Perfect and he's going to confess all... BUT you don't do that in the middle of stake-out, of all the bad times to confess ones short comings you don't do it in the middle of an on-going operation, AND as a cop he should know that.

So Either they wrote him that way for a reason, OR it was really sloppy writing that makes the character look bad, but that's just my opinion.
                                ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
                                The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

Working...
                                X