Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Awakening, Parts One and Two (101 & 102)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i didnt think scripts would be good to read, but i read this today for the 1st time and i think u did a good job, did remind me a bit of the 1st atlantis episode but it was interesting and kept me entertained threw out it and it got better as it went along. Looks like i have 3 seasons to read now
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge300491 View Post
      i didnt think scripts would be good to read, but i read this today for the 1st time and i think u did a good job, did remind me a bit of the 1st atlantis episode but it was interesting and kept me entertained threw out it and it got better as it went along. Looks like i have 3 seasons to read now
      Glad to hear that you liked it. It's always nice to see new people checking out the series.

And, honestly, if you liked it so far, you should love what comes later. Because over time the way the scripts are written, and, in my opinion, the series in general, just get so much better. So I hope you keep reading.
      Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

I finally managed to read the opening script for Stargate Horizon. Guess I've got a lot of catching up to do since I'm about 3 seasons behind. "Awakening" had its high and low points, but one thing that's quite apparent is that it is a labor of love, and that a lot of thought and care has gone into the series. That is very much appreciated.

One criticism however, and that is in the eighth act when the Valiant crew supposedly lands on a gas giant. Now, I'm no scientist but I believe I know just enough that I can say that landing on a gas giant is quite simply impossible! For one thing gas giants have no real solid surface to land on. Spaceships might be able to park in the upper atmosphere, but would likely be ripped apart by the exceedingly hostile turbulent forces further down. This quote from Wikipedia
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_giant

"Gas giants may have a rocky or metallic core—in fact, such a core is thought to be required for a gas giant to form—but the majority of its mass is in the form of the gaseous hydrogen and helium, with traces of water, methane, ammonia, and other hydrogen compounds. (Although familiar to us as gases on Earth, these constituents are expected to be compressed into liquids or solids deep in a gas giant's atmosphere.)

"Unlike rocky planets, which have a clearly defined difference between atmosphere and surface, gas giants do not have a well-defined surface; their atmospheres simply become gradually denser toward the core, perhaps with liquid or liquid-like states in between. Therefore, one cannot "land on" such planets in the traditional sense. Terms such as diameter, surface area, volume, surface temperature and surface density may refer only to the outermost layer visible from space."

It's quite possible that there are earth-size planets that possess the turbulent atmospheric conditions described in the story. I'm far from being a perfectionist with respect to scientific matters and realize that some liberties are often taken in the realm of sci-fi but please, no more landing on gas giants.

Looking forward to reading more episodes. Thanks.
        My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Rubit View Post
          AWAKENING, PARTS ONE AND TWO

Ep: 1.01 & 1.02
          Written by Alex Rubit
          Original Air Date: November 4th, 2004

As a mysterious species known as the Draque shows up on Earth and attacks a research facility, Colonel John Grant, along with a newly formed team is sent on a mission to find the Draque, learn what their intentions are and hopefully prevent future misunderstandings with them.

Visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage to download the episode, then stop back here for discussion.
          dont want to sound stupid but is horizon a series or something if so where ca u download the videos.
          "FOR DISTANT WORLDS WE PLEDGE TO RESPECT"

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Daniel Jackson View Post
            dont want to sound stupid but is horizon a series or something if so where ca u download the videos.
            It's a virtual series actually, where you read the episodes instead of watching them. To download the episodes, just head to the new website at http://www.freewebs.com/stargate-horizon, where you can download the latest episodes as PDF files. And you'll also find the complete first three seasons on there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper View Post
              One criticism however, and that is in the eighth act when the Valiant crew supposedly lands on a gas giant. Now, I'm no scientist but I believe I know just enough that I can say that landing on a gas giant is quite simply impossible! For one thing gas giants have no real solid surface to land on. Spaceships might be able to park in the upper atmosphere, but would likely be ripped apart by the exceedingly hostile turbulent forces further down.
              Well, this was a planet in the distant Triangulum Galaxy, and not a traditional gas giant. But actually, and this might just be me, I don't recall that the Valiant landed on that planet. As far as I remember it, it was the Draque ship that had landed on the surface, but not the Valiant. And again, since it's a planet in another galaxy, I think it's hard to really say there's no chance on earth that such a planet could be out there.

Glad you liked what you read so far, by the way. As I always say, if you think the pilot was good, you should love what comes later in the series. And I only say that because the series does improve greatly as it progresses.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Rubit View Post
                And again, since it's a planet in another galaxy, I think it's hard to really say there's no chance on earth that such a planet could be out there.
                Oh, I'm not saying there couldn't be such a planet. There definitely could. The error would be referring to it as a "gas giant", a term that applies to Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune, planets that have no discernible surface and which no ship could land on, Draque or otherwise. Jupiter in fact, gives off a lot of heat of its own and is sometimes considered an almost-star that didn't quite make it to that stage. Landing there might be akin to trying to land on the sun. (No jokes about going there at night.)

There are probably thousands of inhospitable earth-size planets out there that would fit the bill for this story. In fact, there are a few examples in our own system, one being Venus, with atmospheric pressures 90 times greater than earth's, a surface forever concealed by clouds of carbon dioxide and sulphuric acid, and an general environment where earth probes that land there usually perish within a very short time. Another is the Saturnian moon Titan, which is perpetually cloud covered with a Nitrogen atmosphere denser than Earth's and from where the sky is forever concealed.

Okay I'll get off the science bandwagon now.

My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Area 51 is near a few small towns and also close to las veges so why would they be launching VALIANT during the day where many people would be able to see it (since the goverment says its not real.)

Comment

Originally posted by rdcrdc11 View Post
                    Area 51 is near a few small towns and also close to las veges so why would they be launching VALIANT during the day where many people would be able to see it (since the goverment says its not real.)
                    Well, in Horizon the Stargate program went Public, so it's official: Gray men exist (They are called Asgard ), UFOs are real, the pyramids were landing sites for alien spacecraft and so on. There is no reason to keep Area 51 a secret anymore.

Comment

I just found stargate Horizon a few weeks ago. So far it looks great.

Comment

I'm not sure I understand 'Horizon'. On the website, it says a list of the cast members, suggesting video, but all I can find is PDF script files.

Comment

Originally posted by ReplicatorBox View Post
                          I'm not sure I understand 'Horizon'. On the website, it says a list of the cast members, suggesting video, but all I can find is PDF script files.
                          The cast is suggested, as in what actors they would have playing the parts if they could. The show itself is all written down, there's nothing to watch.
                          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I still don't get why it was written in script form, as it'd be easier to read as a book. Constantly changing to the right side of the page to see the "cut to" bit, the repeated use of the word Beat. Why not just say pause.
                            Then there's times beat is used elsewhere, so I wonder does that mean an actual beat noise, or a beat pause? It felt really confusing to read and somewhat detracted from the experience.

Story was alright though, for a pilot.

Comment

interesting series...i like Sutherland alot! great job!

Comment

I think the links are broken to some of the earlier episodes. Is there anywhere else I can find these?

Comment

Working...
                                X