Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Awakening, Parts One and Two (101 & 102)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, been meaning to post over there.

Comment

Oh, definitely. We're ALWAYS eager to hear people's oppinions on the episodes.

Glad you liked what you've read so far, Maridus.
      Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

Just read the Horizon pilot, and the fact that I then went and downloaded the season 1 boxset should tell you that I liked it. It was pretty cool.

Casting is pretty good for the actors that I know. (Is Andrew Robinson the guy who played Garak in DS9?)

Got slightly confused at times, although I've figured out most of what was going on. One thing I'm not sure about - Horizon (the space station) is in this galaxy, and the Horizon Stargate and the Spacegate go to the Triangulum galaxy, right?

Aah! My 666th post!

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak
          Just read the Horizon pilot, and the fact that I then went and downloaded the season 1 boxset should tell you that I liked it. It was pretty cool.
          Thanks. I'm glad you've liked what you've read so far.

Casting is pretty good for the actors that I know. (Is Andrew Robinson the guy who played Garak in DS9?)
          That's who he is. I think he also makes a great Lenori.

Got slightly confused at times, although I've figured out most of what was going on. One thing I'm not sure about - Horizon (the space station) is in this galaxy, and the Horizon Stargate and the Spacegate go to the Triangulum galaxy, right?
          Indeed. Horizon is in the Milky Way Galaxy, but in an unexplored part of it, while the Spacegate leads into the Triangulum Galaxy. The Horizon Stargate also leads into the Triangulum Galaxy, while a couple of the planets of this particular network are also spread across the Milky Way. Why this network extends across two galaxies will be something that will be explored more and more throughout the series.

Comment

Confusing at first, but with each episode one reads it becomes more and more routine and regular, and everything fits together.
            Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
            Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
            Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
            Stargate Destiny, Fan
            Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

its a very cleaver and good episode... like the intro at the beginning, found it similar to "children of the God" which i loved...

"A man is made up of his worst and darkest moments, and destroyed when he takes nothing from them..."
              -A quote from me

Stargate Frontier a new VS at http://www.stargateomega.com

Comment

Originally posted by RCoombes
                its a very cleaver and good episode... like the intro at the beginning, found it similar to "children of the God" which i loved...
                Thanks. Glad you liked it. It's always great to see new readers' reactions to the series.

Comment

Episode One and Two Awakening was, to put it bluntly, pretty awful.

The opening scene was very promising, mysterious discoveries, vicious evil aliens, cracking Stargate action.

The script formatting was improperly used, the episode was riddled wth sections of prose, like unnecessary over description, back stories, and character thoughts, that have no place in a script format. This made it difficult to read at time. Not only that but there were quite a number of basic spelling mistakes and poorly chosen words.

These things are pretty forgivable, technical problems that I'm sure will be ironed out over time.

The biggest most glaring problem with this episode is that it is ridiculously similar to the pilot of Enterprise. Several scenes are almost identical with similar dialogue and even similar characters, a similar villain and the Vorians do seem more than a bit Vulcan. (Chase is obviously Trip, Grant obviously Archer, Sivea obviously T'pol etc...). It's ridiculous, its lazy, its a disgrace, it is stealing the writing of Brannon Bragga and Rich Berman. And there is no reason that such blatant copying is needed, the original parts of the story are good.

Some of the dialogue is dire, even to the point of making no sense at all. "There for I'm not as ugly as you are" for example is just silly.

There are plot holes aplenty

The Asgard coming to the rescue was a bit of a cop out, it would have been nice to see the team find a solution of their own on their first mission.

The behavior of the Draque and mysterious master made little sense, what was the point of capturing Thor, only to let him be rescued with ease and capturing Grant instead?

Why would the Vorians just let ISGC have the station and control of the gates, especially since it seems their world is in danger too?

There are positives, I'm not trying to be overly negative here, just honest. The Ancients storyline is intriguing and I look forward to seeing how it develops. The Spacegate is an interesting addition to the mix, with a stargate and spacegate and the Valiant there is no shortage of story potential. The Vorians too could well bring an unknown element to the show, what happens when they don't agree with what the Horizon team does, maybe one day they'll want their station back?? Who knows and I think it could develop nicely.

Overall a fairly poor episode. Technically and creatively quite flawed, but acceptable as a first adventure, or it would be if it wasn’t for the fact it was the same as "Broken Bow." That copying brings the whole thing right down.

1 Out of 5
                  I'm A Leaf On The Wind...Watch How I Soar

Comment

Originally posted by cheese
                    Episode One and Two Awakening was, to put it bluntly, pretty awful.
                    Thanks for your honesty. And... I completely agree. This is in my oppinion the worst episode of the series.

The opening scene was very promising, mysterious discoveries, vicious evil aliens, cracking Stargate action.

The script formatting was improperly used, the episode was riddled wth sections of prose, like unnecessary over description, back stories, and character thoughts, that have no place in a script format. This made it difficult to read at time. Not only that but there were quite a number of basic spelling mistakes and poorly chosen words.
                    That's true. Most of what I had written previously was in German; little trivia there.

These things are pretty forgivable, technical problems that I'm sure will be ironed out over time.

The biggest most glaring problem with this episode is that it is ridiculously similar to the pilot of Enterprise. Several scenes are almost identical with similar dialogue and even similar characters, a similar villain and the Vorians do seem more than a bit Vulcan. (Chase is obviously Trip, Grant obviously Archer, Sivea obviously T'pol etc...). It's ridiculous, its lazy, its a disgrace, it is stealing the writing of Brannon Bragga and Rich Berman. And there is no reason that such blatant copying is needed, the original parts of the story are good.
                    The characters are definitely not the same. Over time, and especially now (two years later) they're all quite different from any of those other characters you've mentioned.

And Vorians are definitely nothing like the Vulcans. For one, they've got a sense of humor.

Some of the dialogue is dire, even to the point of making no sense at all. "There for I'm not as ugly as you are" for example is just silly.

There are plot holes aplenty

The Asgard coming to the rescue was a bit of a cop out, it would have been nice to see the team find a solution of their own on their first mission.
                    I agree.

The behavior of the Draque and mysterious master made little sense, what was the point of capturing Thor, only to let him be rescued with ease and capturing Grant instead?
                    It's been a while since I've read it, but if I remember correctly the Draque tried to stop Grant and Sivea from rescuing Thor.

Why would the Vorians just let ISGC have the station and control of the gates, especially since it seems their world is in danger too?
                    The Vorians have a fleet of ships. They're not depending on the Stargate or Horizon when it comes to protecting themselves. In fact, they're not even interested in using the Stargate.

There are positives, I'm not trying to be overly negative here, just honest. The Ancients storyline is intriguing and I look forward to seeing how it develops. The Spacegate is an interesting addition to the mix, with a stargate and spacegate and the Valiant there is no shortage of story potential. The Vorians too could well bring an unknown element to the show, what happens when they don't agree with what the Horizon team does, maybe one day they'll want their station back?? Who knows and I think it could develop nicely.
                    Oh, yeah. There were lots of positives out of which a great show had evolved. But the pilot was definitely... shall we say not all too great.

It's a shame in a way, because I think a lot of people tend to read the pilot, and then they think that's the show. But I have to say it doesn't do it any justice, especially looking at Season Two.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Rubit

It's a shame in a way, because I think a lot of people tend to read the pilot, and then they think that's the show. But I have to say it doesn't do it any justice, especially looking at Season Two.
                      It is a shame, because once you get into it season one has some really good episodes.

Comment

It was confusing at first but i thought it was a pretty good episode.

I really thought it introduced the series nicely and characters as well.

I like Chase the best so far.

I definatley want to see more about this "circle of the ancients" and the ascendent empire.
                        sigpic

Comment

can someone please give me a download link for this episode i went to the main site and coudnt find it so please help

Comment

Sheppard Just go to the main site.

Click "episodes"

Season 1

Awakening 1 and 2 read episode

Then it will come up in a pdf.
                            sigpic

Comment

In this episode when the gate is first dialed on Horizon they dial to the Triangulm Galaxy, but only use a seven Chevron address, rather then an eight cheveron intergalactic address. I was wondering if this was an error, or if there was a reason for it.

Comment

Originally posted by cheese View Post
                                In this episode when the gate is first dialed on Horizon they dial to the Triangulm Galaxy, but only use a seven Chevron address, rather then an eight cheveron intergalactic address. I was wondering if this was an error, or if there was a reason for it.
                                The horizon gate network spans two galaxies, addresses in the triangulum galaxy are still on the same gate network and are therefore a seven chevron address.

Comment

Working...
                                X