Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Awakening, Parts One and Two (101 & 102)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there are some similarities to atlantis for example when one of the cast suggests a name for the huge stargate it seemed similar to when Lt Ford was refering to the puddlejumper as gateship 1 but other than that i found it really original

Comment

Originally posted by andrelage
      there are some similarities to atlantis for example when one of the cast suggests a name for the huge stargate it seemed similar to when Lt Ford was refering to the puddlejumper as gateship 1 but other than that i found it really original
      I guess the difference is that spacegate stuck.
      Rocky

Comment

The plot was good but I am not use to reading in this format unless I had seen the show or pictures of where the plot takes place.

The part of Chase seemed to me that 'Trip', the engineer from Enterprise, could be him. I imagine him in the part instead of Ben Browder, although he could play the part.

I will be downloading the next episode and reading it, later.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
          The plot was good but I am not use to reading in this format unless I had seen the show or pictures of where the plot takes place.

The part of Chase seemed to me that 'Trip', the engineer from Enterprise, could be him. I imagine him in the part instead of Ben Browder, although he could play the part.

I will be downloading the next episode and reading it, later.
          Yeah, I guess they are similar. Glad you enjoyed the episode!
          Rocky

Comment

I've been reading the series over the past few weeks, and it's a damn good series that has a similar feel to it as the other two Stargate series. I know it's a long read, especially Awakening, but I'd suggest doing it, you get used to the script format.

I plan to post an evaluation for each episode like I've been doing with SGA-2 and SG1-9 soon, starting here, but I think I'll head up to bed now.

Alex, I've sent you an email regarding a post on the Horizon site.

Until tomorrow, then.
            Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
            Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
            Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
            Stargate Destiny, Fan
            Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

Originally posted by SierraGulf1
              I've been reading the series over the past few weeks, and it's a damn good series that has a similar feel to it as the other two Stargate series. I know it's a long read, especially Awakening, but I'd suggest doing it, you get used to the script format.

I plan to post an evaluation for each episode like I've been doing with SGA-2 and SG1-9 soon, starting here, but I think I'll head up to bed now.
              Sounds good, I certainly look forward to reading your reviews.

But on the same sentiment as SierraGulf1, if any readers have looked over 'Awakening' and have thought, "Wow, this is a long episode." It is suggested you read it, as it's the introduction to the series, and a lot of what's introduced in the pilot is still holding a lot of relevance in the stories were currently working on for Season Two.

It is a double episode, so if you do think it's too long, read through it and if your eyes start to tire or your attention begins to wonder then have rest for a few minutes and carry on when you're head is in the right place again.

Just out of interest, when I first read 'Awakening', I think it took somewhere between a hour and a half, and two hours to read the whole episode. Which funnily enough is more or less the length it would've being if it were on TV.
              Stargate: Horizon http://www.stargatehorizon.com/

Comment

I read it in bits actually due to the long length.
                sigpic
                Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Well, when I read them I read Awakening and Starship Lost in their entirety without breaks, which took about two and a half to three hours. Anyway, as promised (I'm attempting to write this as if I haven't seen the episodes that follow):

SierraGulf1's Opinions on 1.01-1.02 Awakening
                  Well, as a series opener, it was pretty basic stuff. Every series needs to establish its characters and settings, and this one did so well, especially considering the fact that we can't actually hear the characters speak. As I read it I developed characters I did like and characters I didn't like.

Grant seems like a strong, willful leader, while at the same time eager to explore and learn more about the galaxy that the Horizon gates are connected to. I can imagine that the other members of his team get quite a morale boost every time they hear him speak.

Christine is also a likeable character, although during her times of fear or hesitation I couldn't help but wanting to yell "Get over it and go through the gate!" I'm hoping that she will eventually get used to the everyday happenings on the Horizon and stop being so jumpy. However, she does seem like an intelligent woman who knows what she is doing, and I found her courage in staying on the Horizon at the end despite her fears. But, could somebody give this woman more than a zat to defend herself with?

Lenori is one of my favorites. I like his somewhat quirky personality and interest in learning more about the humans and Vorians. So I suppose he's sort of an alien-Beckett? Here's to hoping for more episodes including him heavily in the future.

Chase, at times, seemed a little over the top with his enthusiasm, and at times came across as a bit dumb. However, I know this isn't true, seeing as he worked on some components of the Valiant. He's a very likeable, Ben Browderish character, but for some reason (maybe it's because it's only a script I'm reading and can't hear the words spoken), his gung-ho personality paired with his speech kind of turned me off. I'm sure that there are some Chase specific episodes in the future that serve the character well.

Sivea, though her introduction seemed fast, seems like an honorable warrior and a valued team member. It is my hope that she doesn't turn into Teyla, the underdeveloped warrior woman who isn't in each episode much. It would be too early to determine now, but I have faith that the writers will make her role a vital one in the future of Horizon. For now, I like her.

I didn't really grow attached to Tom too much, he just kind of seemed there. I understand that it can, at times, be hard to include all characters equally and I'm sure that he'll have his own Tom-heavy episodes in the future. He has great potential.

Finally, David. David seemed to be closer to Tom and know him better than the others. I'm hoping that in the future their friendship can be developed upon as we learn more about the characters.

I'm sure Starship Lost and Explorers will give more exposition on the characters so that I can have my favorites and least favorites. As of now, I like where it's going.

The Draque, at first glance, can seem like a stereotypical sci-fi villian, as well as their superiors, the Ascendant. At times they are, but this can be changed by giving at least some of the Draque independant personalities. We only really met one Draque in this episode, and I liked him so far. I look forward to finding out more information about them and the Ascendant.

Funny, just recently a big honkin' Stargate was introduced on SG-1, and like Ben Browder, you guys had it first. I like that concept, but if a ship were ever to find its way through, it could probably make short work of the horizon. Here's to hoping that doesn't happen.

All in all, a strong pilot episode. It is too early to form opinions yet, but so far I like what I see.
                  ---------------------------------
                  And there we go. I'll get around to writing something on Starship Lost, Ex Deus Machina, and Instinct tonight.
                  Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
                  Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
                  Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
                  Stargate Destiny, Fan
                  Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

Originally posted by SierraGulf1

Sivea, though her introduction seemed fast, seems like an honorable warrior and a valued team member. It is my hope that she doesn't turn into Teyla, the underdeveloped warrior woman who isn't in each episode much. It would be too early to determine now, but I have faith that the writers will make her role a vital one in the future of Horizon. For now, I like her.
                    She does get quite some development, theres Gambit, Beata Memoria, Equilibrium and Homefront are great episodes for Sivea.

Finally, David. David seemed to be closer to Tom and know him better than the others. I'm hoping that in the future their friendship can be developed upon as we learn more about the characters.
                    Well Unseen and Collision are get episodes for those 2, Collision really got me caring about David and they really do connect later in the season.

The Draque, at first glance, can seem like a stereotypical sci-fi villian, as well as their superiors, the Ascendant. At times they are, but this can be changed by giving at least some of the Draque independant personalities. We only really met one Draque in this episode, and I liked him so far. I look forward to finding out more information about them and the Ascendant.
                    Well Sivok gets some interesting development and twists later on towards the end of the season and we also get introduced to a really cool new enemy and fr that check out "Enoly" and beyond.
                    Last edited by Erik Pasternak; 26 August 2005, 09:11 PM.
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I'm glad you've liked what you've read so far, SierraGulf1. It's very interesting to read such a detailed analasys. I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll think of the rest of the season, and Season Two once it starts.
                      Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

Review of
                        Stargate Horizon: Awakening part 1-2.

“You have to look deep to discover what’s beyond the horizon!”

The introduction immediately catches the eye of a true Gater, as we’re told we’re at the Antarctica site. It’s been a part of the Stargate universe for some time, and is therefore also an ideal place to kick off a new series. The very first sentence in this is also crucial, as it informs the reader that something big will happen. “It looks like we’ve got it!” in a Sci-Fi script would very rarely refer to, someone finally smashing an ugly bug – wait… Deja-vu…

Of course this big discovery is connected with the Ancients, and us Earthlings just have to stick our noses in everything. The thing is the nosing around proves, to kick off a chain reaction of events, that will hopefully intrigue the reader. This time we face a new, although not so notorious enemy: Draque and their superiors, the Ascendants.
                        The first impression we might get of this enemy is, that it’s a force to reckon with, simply because of the connection with the Ancients. Another possible impression is the one I slightly got, which was “played out”, as a googling on the name would probably result in hundreds of links. The description of the creatures, because that’s what they are, also shows to add to my suspicion of recycling ideas, along with the fact they’re working for the Ascendants. They’re shadowy figures and this made me think of Anubis, who was also controlling “creatures”/super soldiers.
                        But while pondering upon this I realised, that it can be hard to come up with something brand new, and almost everyone, even our idols, have their own source of inspiration. Like many things this can be reflected upon in our society. The fact that your name’s Ralf, you wear glasses and have neglected hair, doesn’t mean you don’t have a great personality. You have to look deep to discover what’s beyond the horizon! Point being you should always read on, unless it has constant grammar errors, because that’s just annoying…

I’ve heard people claim it’s a rip-off from Star Trek, and unfortunately I cannot comment on that, as I’ve never really seen a full episode. However my opinion is that Horizon also manages to be very creative, and introduces a lot of new things into the Stargate universe. For example there’s the new big Gate, which makes room for more questions and action.
                        There is ofcourse also the Valiant, which is an update from the Prometheus and such. I like and think it's a necessary attribution, as it wouldn't be fair for Horizon to do without, and I also like the fact that it doesn't seem too far developed.
                        There is also a funny parallel with Atlantis, where Ford tries to name the Puddle Jumper, and the naming of the big Gate proves to be just as difficult/funny. It might be a small detail, but it’s the details that harden the story. This is also only one of great many details. Another great detail is including Teal'c and Thor, which makes you connect even more with Stargate. Of course they're not main characters, but their presence makes sure, everything doesn't seem too far away from the Stargate universe, which we all love so much.

To fight this obvious threat against Earth, we need a heroic team. What defines a heroic team is especially a heroic leader, which would definitely be Colonel John Grant. The first expression always matters, and in this case it’s a success. John is a down to earth and respected man, who fits the profile of a natural leader. His abilities are well displayed in this season opener to my pleasing, as when you start reading fiction, most people undergoes a role of living through these characters, and it’s a drag when the handling of those characters is plain bad and simple. It’s an art to be able to develop a character, as it needs to happen naturally and creatively. I find it prudent not to go on any compromises when writing, and start out fresh and slow. Because when you’ve written one good line, that line will produce another good line.
                        A second character we’re introduced to is a female, whose name is Christine Summers. We quickly catch on that she’s a science nerd, and has some sort of past with John (doesn’t have to be romantic). These relationships are very common and also have to be maintained professionally. This is the old “main characters caring for each other”-dilemma, and creates a tension between the characters, and you truly want them to get together, but also realises it would remove the “what if”, which is undeniably occupying the minds of shippers. Another notable thing about the character is a scene, where she has to go through the Stargate, but is reluctant to do so. This has been done and seen before, but I think it’s a smart and necessary way to deal with the opening of Horizon. This IS a new series, which has to work out their own stuff and ideas, but that doesn’t mean they should restrict themselves. Another important thing about characters is that readers should be able to identify themselves with them. As far as I’m concerned I would find it normal for a nerdy scientist, who’s spend most of her time reading books, to be a bit afraid of walking through the Stargate.
                        Another main character would be Major Chase Reynolds. He’s the technician and flight engineer onboard Valiant, which fits perfectly with his “different” speech and kinky personality. He’s a nerd, geek and a dork at the same time. He can be witty and serious at the same time, and possesses a great enthusiasm, which is able to boost the story.
                        Dr. Lenori, a Tok’ra scientist and physician, also makes for an interesting character. We know from Stargate history, that the Tok’ra symbiotes can be what we would call… Arrogant. The split personality of the symbiote and, what we would assume, the human host always makes for some fun. It’s nice to see Dr. Lenori joining Horizon, as you get to fully explore the character, released from the influence of the Tok’ra council.
                        The last character I’ll go into depths with will be Sivea Ve’nal. She’s Vorian and we were introduced to her on a space station, which was to be named Horizon and be the base of operations for the series. She actually has telepathic powers, which works together with her rational way of thinking. She connects well with John and trusts him, and I think the “shipping” might fit even better in this case. But the question of the possible multiple pairings is also interesting, as we’ve seen on Atlantis with Sheppard, Teyla and Weir.
                        Other characters includes Captain David Connor and Dr. Thomas Galloway. David’s a former Special Forces officer, and now the tactical expert, and Tom’s the astrophysicist that also has great flying capabilities. We haven’t seen much of them yet, but there's some short scenes where you get to sense the potential of a big friendship. Their time will come.

I’ve focused a great deal on describing what’s being introduced in this season opening, and have given my point of view, but the writing itself also needs reviewing. The thing is that this is a script, which is very different than stories and fanfics. For some it might be hard to swallow, but I managed to adapt into it, and I must say it’s a very good concept. When I read, it’s impossible to get confused, as you might get sometimes in fanfics. I always had a good grasp of the situation, and it’s very easy to go back and look for a specific thing. The only thing I want to complain about is the misspelling, as they would be extremely easy to correct, if just being focused on a bit more. What troubles me is that I sometimes find something spelled incorrectly, and two sentences later it’s spelled right. I know this might not have an impact on many people, but to me it seems a bit unprofessional and also disturbs me, when I’m in a nice flow going through the text. It’s a personal thing.

Overall this is a good reading experience, which truly should be prescribed for all Gaters. It can’t do anything else, but to enhance your perception of Stargate. You can easily sense the essence of Stargate, and realise that this is a new series, with high potential and I wish it the bests of luck! Horizon’s got hold of a great and different concept, and the writers are adding creative content to it. We should of course also thank the creators/producers for making all this happening.

I truly it hope it was satisfying and helpful, and I’ll be trying to read/review more (only if it’s wanted of course)

Comment

I apologize for any grammar or spelling mistakes... I admit I might be more sensitive about it, when it's other people making the mistakes

Comment

Originally posted by Sobek
                            I truly it hope it was satisfying and helpful, and I’ll be trying to read/review more (only if it’s wanted of course)
                            Of course it's wanted. We always love to see detailed reviews. I can't wait to seeing some for Season Two, once it's airing.

I thought there might be one or two spelling mistakes that were overlooked. But that's something that doesn't normally happen, especially not now. Back then we were only three people and didn't have too much time before the episode aired. Today we have a lot more people, and each of them are looking out for those mistakes.

I'm glad you liked the pilot. And it's always interesting to see what people's first impressions of the characters are. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts as the characters develop over the course of the episodes.
                            Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Rubit
                              Of course it's wanted. We always love to see detailed reviews. I can't wait to seeing some for Season Two, once it's airing.

I thought there might be one or two spelling mistakes that were overlooked. But that's something that doesn't normally happen, especially not now. Back then we were only three people and didn't have too much time before the episode aired. Today we have a lot more people, and each of them are looking out for those mistakes.

I'm glad you liked the pilot. And it's always interesting to see what people's first impressions of the characters are. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts as the characters develop over the course of the episodes.
                              Always nice to know it's wanted - I'll get started on "Starship Lost" today, and perhaps even start on a review tomorrow, if I'm not buried in homework... I know this review was a little different than most, but I just thought that the season opener needs to be handled like an introducing to everything, and therefore I didn't focus too much on the story itself. You can expect that to be changed for later reviews...

Comment

I just finished reading "Awakening" p. 1 & p. 2 and "Starship Lost". I have to confess your pilot episode was virtually identical to "Broken Bow," the Star Trek: Enterprise pilot. The characters, plot, situations, just about everything. Let's go to the instant replay:

John Grant = Jonathan Archer
                                Sivea, Vorian Liason Officer = T'Pol, Vulcan Liason Officer
                                Christine, timid linguist = Hoshi, timid linguist
                                Tom, African Canadian pilot = Travis, African American pilot
                                David, Tactical Officer, blows things up = Malcolm, Tactical Officer, blows things up
                                Chase, southern enigneer = Trip, southern engineer
                                Lenori, Doctor w/nanite worms(?) = Phlox, Doctor w/osmotic eels

Thor kidnapped off Valiant = Klaang kidnapped off Enterprise
                                Grant rescued from fist fight w/Sivok by transport beam = Archer rescued from fistfight w/Silik by transporter
                                Draque base hidden in a gas giant = Suliban base hidden in a gas giant
                                The crew visits a trading/mining outpost in hurricane conditions = the crew visits a tading outpost in blizzard conditions
                                shootout w/Draque in said hurricane = shootout w/Suliban in said blizzard
                                mysterious shadow character controlling the Draque from outside space-time = mysterious shadow character controlling the Suliban from the future
                                John/Sivea/Chase sexual tension = Jonathan/T'Pol/Trip sexual tension

Just too many similarities to be a complete coincidence. There were at least a dozen spelling errors as well. Wow, I really come accross as being quite vicious, don't I? In truth I'm really trying to be constructive. The spelling errors were a little distracting. A little judicious editing should fix that.

All that being said, the next installment, "Starship Lost," was much more Stargate than Star Trek. Nice character development in Christine's character. I like the developing friendship between Christine and Lenori. I do have to ask though, wouldn't it have been more cost effective (and less risky) to toss a bomb through the wormhole rather than physically go through the wormhole to overload (and waste) a naquadah generator?

Anyway, I apologize if I came across as being too harsh. I love the idea of an additional Stargate shows to look forward too. They just don't make enough episodes of SG1 and Atlantis to keep me happy. I look forward to reading the rest of season one and the upcoming season two.

Thank you for your contribution to the Stargate Universe.
                                Last edited by oracle65; 08 September 2005, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X