No announcement yet.

Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, kind of random but I trimmed my beard and got a haircut. After I got home, I took a shower. While I was taking the shower, I got the idea for a powerful speech for one of the characters in Broken Silence. I've told Sealurk this already but I get these fantastic ideas when I'm taking a shower. Apparently my muse really likes it when I take showers...
    sigpic

Comment

Cleanliness is next to... being a best-selling author someday?

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
      sigpic
      now also appearing on DeviantArt
      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
        Cleanliness is next to... being a best-selling author someday?
        I like that thinking! At least I won't be one of those writers that gets accused of being a slob.

*balefully looks at a desk with some old bills and envelopes that haven't been put away*
        sigpic

Comment

Heh. I'm one of those creatively messy types, except when it comes to personal grooming. I'm fastidious about that.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
          Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
            Heh. I'm one of those creatively messy types, except when it comes to personal grooming. I'm fastidious about that.
            I'm usually quite fastidious about personal cleanliness too, especially because work demands we dress for the occasion. But as for the other stuff, I admit that I've gotten a little more cluttered than I have in the past. That's actually a good thing though because I was borderline obsessive compulsive about clutter and such for a long time. I'm glad I mellowed out with that.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
              OK, kind of random but I trimmed my beard and got a haircut. After I got home, I took a shower. While I was taking the shower, I got the idea for a powerful speech for one of the characters in Broken Silence. I've told Sealurk this already but I get these fantastic ideas when I'm taking a shower. Apparently my muse really likes it when I take showers...
              So a cure for writer's block is to get naked and have a shower?
              Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Well, I must admit a lot of my ideas come to me while taking a shower too, but I'm not sure if it's really a cure for writer's block!
                Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

This conversation has made my mind go to really funny places O.o Now if only my laptop were waterproof.....

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                  "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                  "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
                    So a cure for writer's block is to get naked and have a shower?
                    For me, yes. I haven't had any big bouts of writer's block with Broken Silence thus far though, just busy schedules and lack of energy getting in the way.

Originally posted by fems View Post
                    Well, I must admit a lot of my ideas come to me while taking a shower too, but I'm not sure if it's really a cure for writer's block!
                    There are three situations where I have lots of writing ideas:
                    • In bed. In fact, Broken Silence originated as a bad dream I had about the Silence. I also get ideas when I'm about to go to sleep or just when I woke up. Either way, I loose sleep.
                    • In the shower: Much of my dialogue comes from there.
                    • On the road: While commuting, especially listening to music, my Muse gives me lots of ideas.

There are certain places not conducive to writing ideas though, with one of them being work--particularly being around certain difficult coworkers.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                      I have many such EUREKA!!-moments in the tub... it's extraordinary.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        I have many such EUREKA!!-moments in the tub... it's extraordinary.
                        I'm very thankful to have had enough of those moments that I know the novel can be completed. It's just a matter of time and effort. In fact I have some ideas for some possible stories involving some the characters. They're just viable plots for short stories at this point and haven't been outlined just yet. I have so much on my plate right now that those spinoff stories will be on the back burner for a while.

By far, one of the most spontaneous writing ideas I've had would be while I was sampling some homemade candy from a co-worker. I took one bite from some homemade toffee and then it just entered my mind: The Fourth Doctor had his Jelly Babies. I decided that the Eleventh Doctor is a toffee guy. In fact, the carpet of his library is toffee-scented.
                        Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 04 February 2012, 08:10 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

My ideas tend to come to me when I am having a quiet moment.
                          Or if I am reading.
                          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                          To thy own self... Be true
                          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Mine tend to happen when driving long distances in the car...perhaps it's the mind-numbing boredom?
                            sigpic
                            sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                            "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Oh yeah, that happens to me too. Heck, it even happens just on my commute to and from work.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Yep -same here (my commute is only 20 mins).
                                sigpic
                                sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                                "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X