Clear All

Here's a new and delightful story from jennickels:

The Logic of Picking Up Women

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
      Here's a new and delightful story from jennickels:

The Logic of Picking Up Women
      I'll vouch for this. It made me smile and that's always a good thing
      Cake - an AU tale of secrets, lies, intrigue and Jack's favourite thing.

Chapter 1

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        For my personal tastes, the ones I read were friendship at best. IM MY OPINION they were very aware of some peoples' sensitivities towards the pairing and went OTT to avoid it. I generally gave upon them because I didn't care for the characterizations and, as a person with sensitivies towards Saint Daniel, I just didn't care for what I felt to be the emphasis on Daniel and the mimimalization of anyone else.

If you're looking for ship you will be disappointed. If you're a real team fan - as in all equal - you'll find them okay. If you're a 'team = daniel and his support staff' they probably won't measure up for you.

It's like they went so hard to keep the stories 'middle of the road' that they do lack a lot of the relationships that made the team what it is.
        And if it doesn't focus on Daniel, it focusses on Jack and Daniel ... usually with Daniel demanding deep, emotional chats with Jack; refusing to let it go, as though it's his divine right to get answers. And with Sam and Teal'c being pretty much shoved into the background. In at least one of these, Daniel is whining about why Sam won't take his side. And it may be the same book where both Sam and Teal'c get pretty testy with Daniel over his obstinate behavior.

There is at least one book that's about 600 pages long, but SG1 is only in about 1/4 of the book, if even that. Though Teal'c does have a bit bigger part in it than the rest of the team.

Comment

Reading Skydiver and hedwig's replies in combination with some of the reviews/summaries I've seen in the merchandise subforum and the S/J appreciation thread as well as previews on Amazon, I'm starting to seriously wonder who does enjoy the Fandemonium books... I already know I'd take fanfiction over them any day and not just because fanfics are free
          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I think they tried so hard to not offend any group that they homogenized the characters into genericness. I do know that some membes of the fandom were very dedicated to letting MGM know what they did/didn't want to see...and they weren't the sam and jack fans. Did that have any effect? Who knows?

I did try to read them, but just couldn't get into the characterizations and what I felt was OOC actions.
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I think I had also read some reviews about how in some of the books they couldn't even get some of the basic Stargate 'science' right... two-way travel through a wormhole, etc. So I figure that if they can't even both to be familiar enough with the show to get that right then it's not worth my time.

Anyways, just thought I'd toss in my two-cents worth on that
              sigpic
              Stargate Distinguished Service Medal

sig by me

Comment

Thanks everybody for your opinions. I read Cost of Honor several years ago with much the same experience but didn't know if other novels had developed the Ship.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cort View Post
                  I think I had also read some reviews about how in some of the books they couldn't even get some of the basic Stargate 'science' right... two-way travel through a wormhole, etc. So I figure that if they can't even both to be familiar enough with the show to get that right then it's not worth my time.

Anyways, just thought I'd toss in my two-cents worth on that

Despite being a fan run and 'owned' company (which they are) they did seem to contract with a lot of 'foreign' writers...as in writers that seemed to have little to no experience with the show and fandom. And it showed in their product. I do think that they were/are at the mercy of MGM and what the owners of the brand told them to do. I remember hearing that every book had to be critiqued by MGM and rewritten to suit them....and well if their editor at MGM was lax in his/her knowledge, they wouldn't have caught the errors that a fan or someone more familiar would have.

They weren't as bad as the first book series however...one of which had 'Amanda Carter' as a character and no one caught it.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I read 'Transitions' and enjoyed it. I have super strong shippy glasses, so I tend to impart more subtext to the parts that could be described as mildly shippy.

One error in it was Cassie remembering the first time she saw Teal'c and describing him as wearing a hazmat suit (which in the ep he didn't, because it was unecessary).

Overall, I enjoyed it, though. I tend to like a nice teamy action story and will accept the ship level of the series if I can't get a S/J tall with a double shot of ship.
                    sigpic
                    sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

a S/J tall with a double shot of ship
                      ooh, can I get one of those? Little bit off topic, sorry

Chapter 1

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Flower View Post
                        ooh, can I get one of those? Little bit off topic, sorry
                        Not off-topic, LOL. *scribbles down order* "Order up!"

Embrace Me by Polrobin (chapter 1 is my favorite)
                        The Perfect Accessory by hilandncr
                        Follow the Star of the North by ziparumpazoo (a very oblique decription of sexual situation...I don't normally read M fic, and I found her description mild in comparison to many...as a side note, she has wonderful description of the scenery).
                        Northern Skies by Nyaeve (again...mild sexual description)

Will that do for now??
                        Last edited by SaraBahama; 12 February 2012, 11:58 AM. Reason: spelling correction
                        sigpic
                        sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                        "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                          Not off-topic, LOL. *scribbles down order* "Order up!"

Embrace Me by Polrobin (chapter 1 is my favorite)
                          The Perfect Accessory by hilandncr
                          Follow the Star of the North by ziparumpazoo (a very oblique decription of sexual situation...I don't normally read M fic, and I found her description mild in comparison to many...as a side note, she has wonderful description of the scenery).
                          Northern Skies by Nyaeve (again...mild sexual description)

Will that do for now??
                          Cheers! I'm not a huge M rated fan either but I do like Northern Skies. I will give the others a read too.

Chapter 1

Comment

Cheers! I'm not a huge M rated fan either but I do like Northern Skies. I will give the others a read too.
                            I always err on being conservative with the rating - although I recently downgraded this one to a T rating because I really don't think two sentences of light description that's not at all graphic constitutes M. LOL

I'm glad you liked it though

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
                              I always err on being conservative with the rating - although I recently downgraded this one to a T rating because I really don't think two sentences of light description that's not at all graphic constitutes M. LOL

I'm glad you liked it though
                              Haha probably not. I think I read it a while ago and that's probably the reason that I did like it I have a definite issue in that people give me recs and I go to read them and realise I already have, it happened with Embrace Me tonight in fact. I think if I'm going to carry on reading this much, I'll have to get better at favouriting fics

Chapter 1

Comment

Haha probably not. I think I read it a while ago and that's probably the reason that I did like it I have a definite issue in that people give me recs and I go to read them and realise I already have, it happened with Embrace Me tonight in fact. I think if I'm going to carry on reading this much, I'll have to get better at favouriting fics
                                I'm the same, unless a fic really impressed me. Otherwise, I simply forget titles and then I read the summary (or sometimes just the first paragraph) and I realize I've already read it!

But I have a hard time picking anything as a favorite, because I'm very picky. I only have two at FFnet now although I've enjoyed other fics, some more (often) than others.
                                Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Working...
                                X