No announcement yet.

Fanfic Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^I seem to recall there was maybe an LJ comm somewhere for help and support in US/UK translations for writers. I think maybe it was linked to in a discussion in the Writers' Lair comm?
    sigpic

Comment

There's actually a thread in the Fanfic folder here on GW for help with Americanisms.

As to betas - a good beta should at least correct grammar and spelling and punctuation, plot holes and continuity. Suggestions as to phrasing, speech patterns, american phrasings etc can also be made, but in the end are solely up to the writer.

I've betaed for several people - some of who I was proud to have my name referenced as beta and some who I wish would just pretend I never looked at it because they didn't even bother to correct the grammar and spelling and punctuation, plot holes and continuity. I mean if you're not going to fix the basics don't bother having it betaed.

Also, even if a fic has been proof-read several times, mistakes can slip through. I've found one way to help on that is to read it backwards. It forces you to really look at it, rather than filling in what your eyes think you see.
      sigpic

Comment

what also helps, let the fic simmer for a few days. Finish it on monday, let it sit until wed or thu, then print it out and read it off paper.

things stand out at you when you're not as familiar with it and when you can sit down, away from a screen, and concentrate on them
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pilgrim soul View Post
          ^Actually I think Carson would have gone to university - uni as an abbreviation seems to be a more recent thing over here, at least its not something that I heard used a great deal until the last ten years or so - but then I live in a rather backward area of the country. College is the place you go to study at a level between high school and university.

If I'm writing from the point of view of one of the characters I do try as best I can to use the correct words and phrasing. In some ways its probably easier for those of us outside of the US because we are bombarded with so much American media but even in my favourite shows there are frequently phrases and references that go over my head.

Is there an American-English dictionary online anywhere? There's got to be surely.
          I guess it depends on how old Carson is supposed to be. Early 30s I thought which would have him at university in his early 20s.

And here, most people would ask where you went to college (although most of our higher learning institutions have "University" in the name). We have technical colleges, junior colleges, and vocational schools, but basically there isn't anything between high school and university.

And if you ever wonder what a phrase or reference means, feel free to ask (though you may get several different interpretations from different parts of the country). People up north may not get what "That's slap-your-mama good" means.

Originally posted by KatG View Post
          Also, even if a fic has been proof-read several times, mistakes can slip through. I've found one way to help on that is to read it backwards. It forces you to really look at it, rather than filling in what your eyes think you see.
          Interesting idea. I'll try that next time.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          what also helps, let the fic simmer for a few days. Finish it on monday, let it sit until wed or thu, then print it out and read it off paper.

things stand out at you when you're not as familiar with it and when you can sit down, away from a screen, and concentrate on them
          Another great suggestion. And you're right - sometimes I find things on paper that I didn't see on screen (and vice versa).
          sigpic
          Sig by Luciana
          My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Originally posted by pilgrim soul View Post
            Is there an American-English dictionary online anywhere? There's got to be surely.
            Not so much an American-English dictionary, but I did find this useful for checking whether a term existed - A Historical Dictionary of American Slang.
            It isn't particularly extensive as far as I can see (I guess a lot of slang is too regional), and the examples they use turn it into the squarest slang dictionary in the world , but I haven't yet found anything more complete.

If anyone needs to go the other way then this site, English slang and colloquialisms used in the United Kingdom, is fantastic.
            Please note though that this site is not for squares - especially the section beginning with F.

ETA: The American/British - British/American Dictionary
            Last edited by smurf; 25 June 2008, 04:02 PM.

Comment

One of my pet peeves is seeing someone use the spell-check, but not a dictionary. I don't have the patience to try and guess which word was supposed to have been corrected.

Also, on betas, people thanking betas, and then producing a fic where all a reader can do is scratch their head and go, "but why are you thanking them?"
              Did you ignore them, and are thanking them out of good manners? Or do you both think beta-ing means "read it before I posted"?

Comment

Here's the link to the thread on GW for "Talking American". It's an interesting read and a good resource.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...aking+american
                sigpic

Comment

There's actually a thread in the Fanfic folder here on GW for help with Americanisms.

As to betas - a good beta should at least correct grammar and spelling and punctuation, plot holes and continuity. Suggestions as to phrasing, speech patterns, american phrasings etc can also be made, but in the end are solely up to the writer.

I've betaed for several people - some of who I was proud to have my name referenced as beta and some who I wish would just pretend I never looked at it because they didn't even bother to correct the grammar and spelling and punctuation, plot holes and continuity. I mean if you're not going to fix the basics don't bother having it betaed.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

Both really good points. I am posting a new fic now

(which was betaed BTW... oh and I want to say, I take everything she has to say with the greatest importance. If I don't understand something, I will ask her... basically to understand WHY so I can stop doing whatever it is I am doing! Oh! Sorry about that...)

Anyway, I am re-reading some of the earlier things... I said Bitter and Bitterly in the same sentence. Never caught it before, she didn't catch it either. I was able to change it before it went live.

As for our favorite Jaffa.... The point I was trying to make was If you find him difficult, then don't write him. Just have him tagging along in a story just to say every other sentence... doesn't do anyone any good.
                  Slidell and I are re-watching SG1. Why don't you join us? SGBFFF-SG1-Rewatchsigpic
                  You want to read Torn written by Slidell Yes... yes you do.

Comment

I don't think anyone has mentioned my pet peeve and that is the number of stories started on Fanfiction.net and never finished. That's one of the reasons I just don't start reading stories anymore until they are actually completed. I mean some have been really good, leaving you with a cliffhanger, one that you're waiting on edge of your seat for and then - nothing.

As for spelling, grammar, etc., as long as it's not too bad, I will forgive the occasional error if the story is interesting and the characters are credible. (In other words true to the ones that we see on the scene). After all we aren't dealing with professional writers here but fans who love their shows and favourite characters enough to write about them. And it can be very off putting if the readers are too critical and expect such a high standard. However, don't get me wrong, I hate stories that are so full of spelling and grammar errors that they are almost unreadable.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Astraldust View Post
                      I don't think anyone has mentioned my pet peeve and that is the number of stories started on Fanfiction.net and never finished. That's one of the reasons I just don't start reading stories anymore until they are actually completed. I mean some have been really good, leaving you with a cliffhanger, one that you're waiting on edge of your seat for and then - nothing.
                      I agree 100%. Several came to mind immediately. Resent those with a passion! And the slow updating fics!! I lose emotional attachment to those stories and eventually lose interest.

I would also like to make a comment on review response. I can't call this my pet peeve, since it is an impractical expectation, but I tell you, it is *wonderful* to receive responses from the writers. Of all the fics I have submitted reviews for, Sky and sbz are the only two who have given *quality* feedbacks consistently, which are very much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by Astraldust View Post

As for spelling, grammar, etc., as long as it's not too bad, I will forgive the occasional error if the story is interesting and the characters are credible. (In other words true to the ones that we see on the scene). After all we aren't dealing with professional writers here but fans who love their shows and favourite characters enough to write about them. And it can be very off putting if the readers are too critical and expect such a high standard. However, don't get me wrong, I hate stories that are so full of spelling and grammar errors that they are almost unreadable.
                        Oh I hate it when people don't finish a fic. I will rarely read a WIP. I have to know the author really well, and know that they're really good about updating before I'll read a WIP. Even then, I may pass until it's done. The nice thing about FFnet is that you can search for complete fics only, or if a new one is in progress, sign up for alerts each time a new chapter comes out, then wait for them to finish.

As for grammar, spelling, etc., I don't expect perfection, but I do expect people to take pride in their work.
                        sigpic

Comment

Oh I hate it when people don't finish a fic. I will rarely read a WIP. I have to know the author really well, and know that they're really good about updating before I'll read a WIP. Even then, I may pass until it's done. The nice thing about FFnet is that you can search for complete fics only, or if a new one is in progress, sign up for alerts each time a new chapter comes out, then wait for them to finish.

As for grammar, spelling, etc., I don't expect perfection, but I do expect people to take pride in their work.
                          About ff.net Too bad I've read some fics that were not marked as completed even though they were...

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
                            About ff.net Too bad I've read some fics that were not marked as completed even though they were...
                            Oh, then the search function wouldn't work.

If I see a story that sounds interesting I always read the last couple reviews to see if it's complete.

I don't read WIP anymore, as JZ9 said, I lose interest. I enjoy a story much more reading it all the way through at once.
                            sigpic

Comment

Hopefully this doesn't annoy authors out there - if so, sorry. However, I've left reviews on many stories, and the reviews have always been positive, even if I've commented on a flaw or two in the story or misuse of a word here or there (in one, an author used "mortally wounded" when it should have been "seriously injured", since the character was in no danger of dying; that wasn't the only "flaw"), and the author wrote back and attacked me for attacking her story and thereby attacking her, and criticized me for being so "hostile" to her story. I was rather surprised at how incensed she was over having one little phrase pointed out to her. I thought reviews were supposed to be honest, even if they aren't all out praise for the author's creativity. I left another review for an author where I said what I liked and pointed out where a few things "might" have been better and got a really long e-mail back from the author debating every single point where I suggested something might have been better. I realize people feel very strongly about their creations, but a little constructive criticism(?) doesn't seem out of place to me.

Comment

I couldn't agree more.

As to FFnet that's what I've been doing, putting stories on alert and waiting until they are finished. The only trouble is now my story alert is full of incomplete stories, some of which date back several years. I'll have to go through them sometime and delete stories older than two years. I guess after that amount of time the author has no intention of updating.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X