Fanfic Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mousie View Post
    I've read fics where the author want's the character to swear, because it's in context, but won't actually write the words. So they asterisk it out - f***, d*** and the like. That looks silly, if you aren't prepared to type it don't use it!
    Actually, this is a matter of forum censorship. It is sometimes necessary, for characterization reasons, to occasionally use swear words that are banned on "family" boards. In which case you have no choice but to do the asterisk thing- the mods and/or censoring software leaves you no other choice.
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

That's understandable, but I seem to remember it was on ff.net or somewhere similar. Somewhere that they wheren't banned or filtered. Maybe it was just the authors sensibilities.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jz9 View Post
        I would *love* to read a Star Trek TNG/SG-1 crossover!!! Fascinating idea.

And swapping O'Neill with Carter sounds fun!

Unfortunately you are only "wanting" to write, which means when? I'd better not hold my breath.
        I've only found a few ST:TNG/SG crossovers, but none of them stood out particularly to me in as much as I added them to my favorites, which is why I want to write one someday, but the delay is in brushing up on my ST knowledge, and settling on a series, either TNG, DS9 or Voyager.

I'm sorry to say I most likely won't write Sam/O'Neill in a body swap... Body swaps are all very much done in my opinion, and that swap the most. I'm still not sure if I will write my own, again, being quite done... but I said the same thing about writing my own kidfic... there were already so many, but I finally let myself be persuaded that the SG Universe was big enough for another kidfic, and Growing Pains was recieved so well that I'm writing a sequel. As for the body swap, I've seen several, genearlly poorly done, S/J, that were really just an excuse for ship, and didn't spend much time exploring the characters, just thier sudden need for one another. And doing Sam/Jack swap, people would expect ship, and I know I wouldn't be able to deliver. I suck at ship because of that little nagging voice that tells me it will never work out as a happily ever after.

I've seen two Sam/Daniel swaps. One is incomplete as of 2 or so years ago, though it was very promising. Another was written by a Jack/Daniel slasher, and though the fic was "gen" you could definitely see the slash leanings, also had a bit of language and sexual content. However, it was absolutely one of the most hilarious fics I've ever read. Unfortunately, the site is gone and I don't know the author. Info posted bellow in the small hope someone might know where it is now.

Spoiler:
        the story was called The Other side of the Coin, and it's definitely rated mature/R for language and sexual content.

hedwig: Thanks, hope you enjoy the stuff that's "new" to you as well.

I have to say regarding typos.... many of us posting here on this board for fanfiction seem to also be authors of said fanfic ourselves, and I just have to give thanks for spelling checkers.... because looking at our message posts, it definitely looks like we need them!

Mousie: Thanks for the link, I ill have to look more closely. It doesn't mention crossovers, and I remeber when I had joined the forum there years ago, crossovers were strictly forbidden. (as well as not being allowed to use any of her characters etc....) But perhaps, that Pern/SG-1 crossover might someday occur. I know I saw one recently, but was afraid to look at it, because I have in my mind what I would want to happen. The story also didn't have very many reviews to chapter ratio, which is part of my criteria to see if i want to bother reading. If they've posted 30 chapters and have like 2 reviews... I probably am not interested (yeah, they might have posted all 30 chapters in one night... but in my opinion, why bother like that.. just post it all in one chunk and be done)

My betas and beta'ing came from striking up dialog between authors. Either I left comments on thier fic and they responded, or vice versa, but we came to discover a passion for SG fanfic in each other and continued to write to one another even after the story completed, and those conversations eventually led to "hey, can you take a look at this for me?"

and I think that's why as beta for each other, we feel comfortable in doing more than just grammar, but pointing out flaws as we see them in characterization, and still be able to speak to one another afterwards.

Originally posted by pilgrim soul View Post

Spoiler:
        ^If you're talking about me Ali I think "a bit" is being far too kind.

I have a lot of pet peeves most of which have already been mentioned here but I feel the need to vent. These are my personal opinions so, please, no one take offence besides I'm probably guilty of a whole bunch of things other people hate.
        • Fic that obviously hasn't been betaed properly. At least use a spell check and if you're writing fic then you must surely have read fic by other people, or at least have had some minor involvement with the online fandom and if that's the case there is really no excuse for misspelling the names of the main characters.

• Fic that isn't marked properly. If its ship (het or slash) or features, violence/sex/swearing then be fair to your readers and say so up front. Personally I'm pretty open minded but not everyone is and even I've found myself reaching for the brain soap a few times.

• OOC behaviour. Bad characterisation can ruin a great idea and just because you personally don't like a character or, alternatively, are completely besotted with them, don't twist them into something they are not.

• OOC dialogue. Just stop and think, can you really imagine the character saying that line on the show? If not, then maybe you should rethink it.

Also, I think further up the thread someone, Skydiver perhaps, talked about swearing and although I agree its not something that should be over used I would rather read the characters using an occasional curse than them saying things like "gosh" or "golly" which just sounds plain ridiculous (unless they're being sarcastic).

• Mary Sues - There's this wacky young girl with a quirky name who's related to/is the love interest of one of the main characters, she turns up in Atlantis and gets into all kinds of trouble and hilarious scrapes but its all okay because in the end she saves the day and everyone loves her because she's so great. If that sounds like the story you are writing then just stop, seriously just don't go there.

• People who write summaries along the lines of "I'm not good at summaries" or "Better than it sounds" - if you can't even write a one sentence summary then how am I supposed to have confidence in you authoring an entire story?

• Song fic - I have nothing to add to that, its just wrong.

• AU's - now I don't mean an AU such as those that appear on the show I mean the type where they take the characters and transport them into a completely unrelated universe. Like a western fic where the characters are cowboys or something. I want to read about the characters we see on screen, not characters who just share a name and physical appearance with those in the show.

Okay I've finished venting.
        Pilgrim Soul, have to agree with a lot of your pet peeves. Spell checks, bad characterizations, and substituting cutesy curse words for real ones. I'm generally not afraid to write in a few mild swears, because I think they are in character, you can't be a soldier or around soldiers without absorbing at least some minor language. Hopefully, I'm not guilty of **** out my swears, but I will, if it's a phrase, leave it trailing ie, Jack says "son of a ..." or perhaps I may write that the character (or another character hears) cursed, but leave it up to the reader's imagination about what that curse was...
        Originally posted by Katkin View Post
        In no particular order...

Jack, Sam and Daniel all meet at university while in their teens.

Jack and Sam have been secretly married all along. Even tho I am a shipper I HATE THIS.

Jack, Sam, and their adorable twins Grace and Jacob, plot immaterial.

Sam/Daniel pairings.

AnYthing that starts by describing who the characters are and what they look like. WE KNOW THIS.

Any mention of sunkissed golden hair and wide blue eyes.
        Katkin: I agree more or less with your pet peeves (especially secret marriages and why are their kids ALWAYS named Grace and Jacob??) I do disagree on describing the characters... after all, in real bonified published works, where the book is a sequel, so therefore it's unlikely you are reading it without having first read the preceding story in the series, the author always recaps the previous story and describes the characters (which usually makes me skim the first few bits of the story to get down to the meat of the story, unless it's been some time since the release of the first novel, which I suppose is more the point of the recap/description than making someone who picked up the 2nd book first feel less lost)

But aside from that, yes, we know what they look like, but I think a (brief) description of the characters helps to "place" the story. Ie, Carter's rank, the length of her hair, Daniel's hair, Teal'c as to whether or not he has hair, Jack had dyed brown hair in the first two seasons, so describing the amount of gray in it will also help place the season. I'm not saying the author should go into long paragraphs of description, but a sentence or two for each character in the opening segment of a story I believe helps set the time frame. And not limiting to hair/face etc, but work it in with titles and such, recent missions/events. The books published by fandemonium also work in this mild description. Personally, i think it a bit of a requirement.

Of course, descriptions like "limpid blue eyes" are a bit OTT IMHO, and should be sorely reserved for crack!fic
        sigpic

Some people have a way with words. Others not have way.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~iamdragonrider

Comment

Originally posted by iamdragonrider View Post
          Pilgrim Soul, have to agree with a lot of your pet peeves. Spell checks, bad characterizations, and substituting cutesy curse words for real ones. I'm generally not afraid to write in a few mild swears, because I think they are in character, you can't be a soldier or around soldiers without absorbing at least some minor language. Hopefully, I'm not guilty of **** out my swears, but I will, if it's a phrase, leave it trailing ie, Jack says "son of a ..." or perhaps I may write that the character (or another character hears) cursed, but leave it up to the reader's imagination about what that curse was...
          Precisely. There's lots of ways to get around actually using a swear word if you feel it's inappropriate or not permitted on the site where you archive. In fact, I think it can often work better left to the imagination a little. E.g. in a fic I'm working on I wanted Ronon to swear and I wrote it as, "He uttered one of the more colourful Earth curses he’d picked up from the marines." As well as avoiding using a strong curse word, writing it like this also adds that bit more colour to the character - that Ronon, the alien amongst the Earth expedition, picks up Earth swear words from the soldiers. That adds a lot more depth to the story, to me, than simply, ""****!" said Ronon."
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
            Precisely. There's lots of ways to get around actually using a swear word if you feel it's inappropriate or not permitted on the site where you archive. In fact, I think it can often work better left to the imagination a little. E.g. in a fic I'm working on I wanted Ronon to swear and I wrote it as, "He uttered one of the more colourful Earth curses he’d picked up from the marines." As well as avoiding using a strong curse word, writing it like this also adds that bit more colour to the character - that Ronon, the alien amongst the Earth expedition, picks up Earth swear words from the soldiers. That adds a lot more depth to the story, to me, than simply, ""****!" said Ronon."
            And it's certainly more appropriate for Ronan to utter something colorful, perhaps insuuating something anatomically improbable, or questioning the parentage of the person he's cursing at, whether he picked it up, or utters it in his native language with an inflection that needed no translation, than for him to say, "Well, golly gosh, darn gee wilikers! I'll be hog-swaddled!"
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by iamdragonrider View Post
              And it's certainly more appropriate for Ronan to utter something colorful, perhaps insuuating something anatomically improbable, or questioning the parentage of the person he's cursing at, whether he picked it up, or utters it in his native language with an inflection that needed no translation, than for him to say, "Well, golly gosh, darn gee wilikers! I'll be hog-swaddled!"
              You mean Ronon doesn't really talk like that? AUsam_cry2.gif My world just came crushing down on me.

sigpic

Comment

Loved the Ronon bit. Also enjoyed reading all the ranting. LOL!

Dragonrider, please do write a ST/SG crossover, preferably with TNG or Voyager.

Comment

there's a couple sam/jack body swaps...i'd look on the sam and jack site, cause i think the two i read both end up with them having sex with each other.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    there's a couple sam/jack body swaps...i'd look on the sam and jack site, cause i think the two i read both end up with them having sex with each other.
                    Or themselves

I read one, definitely somewhere on the SJ site.

EDIT: I gave a link to the site, but I guess that's not allowed?? It's kind of confusing what you can and can't link.
                    sigpic

Comment

I just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying reading this thread. I've been reading SG-1 Fan Fiction for years, cringing and shuddering or becoming totally absorbed in stories I've read. It's interesting to break down elements of writing into its parts, and whilst it seems easy to do on the surface, it's not, as the 'Peeves' of the thread title testify.

It seems such a basic thing to create rounded characters and a believable world to place them in, but it's not easy. I absolutely adore the world of Anne McCaffrey's Pern, to me this is a wonderfully successful example of what I mean. I have to admit to trying and failing miserably over the years myself. It is sad that many authors of Fan fic don't accept or even see their faults and this is why a thread like this is born! Those that can't take constructive criticism shouldn't publish in my opinion.

Thankfully there is Fan Fiction out there that successfully keep our SG-1 characters intact and create believable worlds and scenarios for them. These are the Fan fics I like. Being a Jack fic fan, H/C mainly, it's finding the stories that have a good balance of everything. This is not to say that I haven't enjoyed some of the 'super' Jack heroism stories, where he still saves the day when he should have been dead! No harm in some off the wall heroic feats sometimes, when it's written well. A good example of Fan Fic like this and my favourite story is 'Find Trust in the Darkness' by Badgergater.

I've written a SG-1/Star Trek DS9 crossover. It was my first ever Fan fic, unfortunately it is a Marty Stu at his most heroic and wonderful! I wrote it for self therapy after an illness and would never inflict this toe curling work on my fellow Fan fic loving bretheren. I have branched out in other more humourous ways but I still don't think I would ever publish anything of mine.

Having said this, on reading more about the pitfalls of writing being brought up on this thread, it may help me improve. Who knows?....one day! Meanwhile, I will continue to enjoy well written stories by fans like yourselves who care about all the elements that make for good writing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mousie View Post
                        That's understandable, but I seem to remember it was on ff.net or somewhere similar. Somewhere that they wheren't banned or filtered. Maybe it was just the authors sensibilities.
                        Or a matter of habit.

I post on a number of forums, each of which has different censorship rules ranging from "anything goes" to places where words like "bloody" are banned and the auto censor will **** out "saltwater" because it has a "****" in the middle. After a while, you form the habit of **** writing even on uncensored board, simply because it's way too much of a hassle to keep track of what is banned where.

Alipeeps- yes, it is possible to "work around" a curse sometimes. But then again, sometimes it isn't. I am actually not much of a fan of "he uttered one of the more colourful Earth curses he’d picked up from the marines" kind of solution; it's strikes me as cumbersome and artificial. It screams "Dear reader, I wanted to put a swear word here but they wouldn't let me". I suppose it's fine to use once to emphasise that Ronon picks up phrases from Earthlings he mingles with, but if you need that word to emphasise something else, you'll be burdening the scene with irrelevant information.
                        Last edited by Womble; 24 June 2008, 12:30 PM.
                        If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

the link to teh sam and jack site itself is fine since it has both adult and younger appropriate fic. but a direct link to adult content is a no-no.

you can give the link to the sam and jack site, the the author/title and people can suss it out for themselves.

Or, what i'll also do is link to 'this is the main adult page, the link to the fic is down a bit on that page'

in other words, no direct linkage

And just be sure to tell people 'hey, this is a grown up only fic' or 'this is a slash fic' or 'this is a character death fic' so that people know what they're getting into
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
                            You mean Ronon doesn't really talk like that? [ATTACH]6051[/ATTACH] My world just came crushing down on me.

After reading these swear word pet peeves, muse has latched onto a few choice phrases. And of course, she now wants to write a true, honest to goodness crack!fic revolving around these phrases, as a shining example of what NOT to write. I'm hoping it's alright to ask if anyone would like to contribute, by giving a few fake swears they may have run across, or would just like to see if I can make them come out of the character's mouth. Consider it a bit of a challenge if you like. I will also consider other phrases, along the lines of sun-kissed golden hair and limpid blue eyes
                            sigpic

Comment

This was a very interesting read.

What I don't understand is, you are more than likely writing in some sort of "word" type program... why don't you hit the little ABC button? I know I can't spell. That is why spell check and a dictonary (did I even spell that word right?) are my friends.

If you can't write a char. then don't do it. There is more to Teal'c than the word "indeed". I can't write him right... in my few fics he's on Chulak. There problem solved.

--
                              ~Mada
                              Slidell and I are re-watching SG1. Why don't you join us? SGBFFF-SG1-Rewatchsigpic
                              You want to read Torn written by Slidell Yes... yes you do.

Comment

Reading this tonight, as I sit stuck on the opening to a scene in a fic I'm writing, has given me quite a few chuckles. I have also had a few "Oh, lordy, I hope I'm not guilty of that" moments.

Thanks, Sky. This is a great thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X