Fanfic Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AmberLM View Post
    When an author jumps from one scene/day to the next without a line/page break/ new chapter. It's so confusing when one paragraph you're reading a scene then the next has completely time-jumped. It makes following the plot nearly impossible!
    Agreed, but it has happened to me more than once that the scene break is deleted when you upload a story. This is standard practice on FFnet so I always check there but it has happened randomly on other archives as well. Also, in the case of old fic there may have been scene breaks at the time of uploading, but FFnet (or other archive) has removed them because they've stripped symbols from the formatting due to spam attacks.

Of course, there are plenty of fanfic writers who don't care about scene breaks or basic formatting, so they might have left them out on purpose.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

When Mark gives Sam a lecture about not sleeping with Jack "under my roof" either because he thinks it's immoral to sleep together until they're married/it sets a bad example for the kids etc. - I've read variations on this theme in so many fics.
      I wonder what Mark thinks Sam and Pete were doing the whole time they were together. Shaking hands and saying goodnight at the door?

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        They couldn't even pretend to be that.
        Lol!

Originally posted by fems View Post
        Agreed, but it has happened to me more than once that the scene break is deleted when you upload a story. This is standard practice on FFnet so I always check there but it has happened randomly on other archives as well. Also, in the case of old fic there may have been scene breaks at the time of uploading, but FFnet (or other archive) has removed them because they've stripped symbols from the formatting due to spam attacks.

Of course, there are plenty of fanfic writers who don't care about scene breaks or basic formatting, so they might have left them out on purpose.
        Yeah ff.net is a pain in the mik'ta for that!

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
        I wonder what Mark thinks Sam and Pete were doing the whole time they were together. Shaking hands and saying goodnight at the door?
        Well, in my head that's what happens after the hallway scene in Chimera. He slept on the floor and Sam's wearing a strapless pyjama top under that sheet, right?
        Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Well, in my head that's what happens after the hallway scene in Chimera. He slept on the floor and Sam's wearing a strapless pyjama top under that sheet, right?

And he slept in the hallway, not in the bedroom. And Sam was probably also wearing a chastity belt....

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post

And he slept in the hallway, not in the bedroom. And Sam was probably also wearing a chastity belt....

sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT49eckDNv4&list=PLMtL6e324FDeU74dGLVW3yx3JJMoUpR2z&index=1
              My thoughts exactly.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Can't green u Hedwig!

When it comes to Sam and Pete, I do what Jack probably does - stick my fingers in my ears, squeeze my eyes shut and lalala the theme tune to Stargate lol.

I'm not averse to reading M-rated fic, I just prefer it when it's S/J lol
                Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  My thoughts exactly.
                  I tried to find the clip with the Sheriff and his chafed willy, but it was not to be found
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                    I tried to find the clip with the Sheriff and his chafed willy, but it was not to be found
                    Whenever my sister and I are randomly quoting from that film, which happens quite often cause it rocks, and the chastity belt is mentioned then we will both immediately think of that scene and next the one where they call for a locksmith.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                    X