This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David
    For those who don't know, GateWorld Forum members who attend Gatecon can come to the GateWorld Forum get-together! I think everyone really had a blast last year, so I'm definitely throwing it again.
    I'll be there to harass ya, David. No worries. Although I do hope there's a better mix of fans. No offense meant and I did have a lot of fun, but as an anti-shipper, I also felt kinda isolated and ostracized.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      I'll be there to harass ya, David. No worries. Although I do hope there's a better mix of fans. No offense meant and I did have a lot of fun, but as an anti-shipper, I also felt kinda isolated and ostracized.
      Shadow, you and I can stick together.

The only thing I think that could stop me is the hubby. He's not a SG fan, so to leave him for a long weekend with the kids could be interesting......
      No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

as a shipper and jonas fan i felt the same way. If it wasn't for my close friends it would not have been as much fun.....if i had a penny for every dirty look from a few of the ardent anti-ship/daniel fans i'd have enough to buy my tickets for next year......(and no, i'm not addressing this generally, it was a specific few who reserved their glares and dirty looks just for me and my friends...eh, if that's how they got thier jollies <G>...after saturday it got to be quite predictible and humorous. I should have started taking pictures )

but you know what, i just hung out with my friends and said screw the rest

in the end, it made things easier for next year. I know who to not even try to touch base with
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Really? That bad? Can't imagine.

*pause*

REALLY?

Come on, this is supposed to be FUN. We may disagree on the forum, but that doesn't mean we can't be in same room and talk with each other! Or does it?

I'm best friends with an anti-shipper and slasher. What's the big deal? We have loads of fun together, discuss it light-heartedly and if it gets bad, we throw popcorn at each other. Where's the problem?

In a world that seems to be increasing in conformity
          it's harder and harder to be who you wanna be
          It takes a lot of courage to stand up and get what you need
          And lots of us are happy in a different kind of family

Comment

One of my dearest Gatecon buddies is a Daniel fanatic and extreme slasher. Pretty much the dark side of the moon when compared with me. But we're still Gatecon buddies all the same. How very sad and rediculous to continue to fortify those walls while Stargate fans are united at a convention. IMHO, that' exactly what it's NOT about.

Comment

I have to go to this GC, my life (literally) depends on it. Is there any age limit for attending on your own? I'm 15 at the moment.
              "It's going to look pretty good, then, isn't it," said War testily, "the One Horseman and Three Pedestrians of the Apocralypse."

Comment

It wasn't the whole con. I blended in pretty easily at the con itself. But the dinner... *shrug* Like I said, there was one person who made me uncomfortable so that probably colored my view of everyone else. I was kinda set away from them anyway.

Maybe next time I'll bring popcorn to throw.

Random- no age limit for the con itself, but you might want to see what the rules are for under-age border crossings.

Comment

Originally posted by CoffeeGirl
                  Come on, this is supposed to be FUN. We may disagree on the forum, but that doesn't mean we can't be in same room and talk with each other! Or does it?
                  i don't have an issue with it, which is why i found their snubbing to be rather infantile and humorous. After a while my friends and i were keeping score....'so did x glare at you too??????'

there was a couple of years ago when i was chatting with a person. and we were having a decent little chat....then she read my lanyard, saw what picture was on it and all of a sudden her eyes grew wide and she started to back off....sort of 'oh my god, it's a jonas/ship fan....my god, i must get away before she hurts me'

it was sort of funny. never knew that i was that intimidating and scary.

There are some people that i avoid simply because if you say good morning to them, i'll get online the next week and learn that my 'good morning' has been interpreted as a vicious attack or that i called them some rude and horrible names. So i just don't talk to them at all. Which i'm sure i get taken to task for as well, but hey, what can you do???

sigpic

Comment

Like I said, there was one person who made me uncomfortable so that probably colored my view of everyone else. I was kinda set away from them anyway.
                    there was one person that snubbed me quite rudely, so i'll just make a note to just not have anything to do with her or her group in the future....which was all she needed to do in the first place. If she had an issue with me, she just needed to say something.

sigpic

Comment

I had a similar problem. Only mine wasn't with one of my fellow con-goers. It was one of the guests. I had watched this person for years on television and thought she was most beautiful, and when I met her she was awful - mean and overly self-indulgent.

If she's invited again, I'm staying clear.

But overall, it's a wonderful experience!

Comment

Originally posted by David
                        I had a similar problem. Only mine wasn't with one of my fellow con-goers. It was one of the guests. I had watched this person for years on television and thought she was most beautiful, and when I met her she was awful - mean and overly self-indulgent.

If she's invited again, I'm staying clear.
                        Thats just....wrong.
                        You would hope that someone in kind of position would realise that the fans are what keep her in a job.
                        But beyond that it would be incredibly disappointing. Particularly if you've been a fan for years.
                        Did it turn you off the character that she played?

Comment

In a heartbeat. She's been in my Windows startup for two years. Not the desktop wallpaper, mind you, but the startup image where you punch in your code. Alas, the software that put her there EXPIRED (i.e. her face was stuck there for good), so I still had her up there until recently when I reformatted.

Comment

I am HOPING to be there and I definitely plan on bugging you : D you lucky girl !!!! you
                            Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar
                              I am HOPING to be there and I definitely plan on bugging you : D you lucky girl !!!! you
                              David will protect me from your evil machinations! Assuming he isn't busy chatting up our guest. *rolls eyes*

Comment

David will protect me from your evil machinations! Assuming he isn't busy chatting up our guest. *rolls eyes*
                                HA...David will probably point me in your direction he is devious that way

one of the MANY reason I love him so much!!!!
                                Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Working...
                                X