No announcement yet.

The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love the video Jumble. I think that's one of my favourites (apart from Sex Bomb, of course. )

Very quick Heellloooo Wooohooos! since I have to go to work in half an hour on one of my rare afternoon things. I'm supposed to be trying to copy a DVD called "Grief In The Family" (nice subject matter, but such is my job and I really can't complain for the rewards it brings) but I can't be bothered to sort it out. Will have to wait until next week.

Rergarding Helen's grief:

Originally posted by jumble View Post
    I'm a bit on the fence regarding the mourning/lack of mourning for Ashley thing. We saw Helen's devastation in Eulogy, and when it was touched upon in Next Tuesday the impression I got was that, yes, it'll always be there, but that she keeps it private most of the time because it's just too painful to bring it out. Look how hard it was for her to actually come right out and say to Will "Next Tuesday is Ashley's birthday. Please don't go away because I need you to be with me". And from the point of view of the show, I agree with what Cags said, too much on screen wood have been a mistake.

Just my opinion
    That's exactly how I see it. You don't ever... ever, ever get over the death of a loved one; you just learn to incorporate your feelings for the loss into who you are now (because it changes you). And nothing goes against the natural order of things more than the death of a child. Helen's grief is so deep and so painful that she can't... she can't allow it to even be considered at times when she needs to focus on other things. it would swallow her. It's there and, yes, I am sure, there are private moments when she grieves openly, but we, as an audience don't need to see that week in and week out.
    I actually liken her grief to Jack's in SG-1 over Charlie. You know he functioned - for the most part - and never let on how painful it was... but every now and then, there was something in an episode that hinted that he still carried the burden of grief deep inside. Remember in Lost City (*takes moment to fangurl one of my favourite episodes and.... oh look, who directed it again?* ) when Sam asks about the picture and if he still sees his ex? He just can't talk about that life he had. He can't! It hurts too much the be reminded.
    It's a typical male reaction to "bury" feelings of loss and not acknowledge how deeply they have affected you but it's by no means only men who do that. Women do too and, in some ways I see Helen being exactly the sort of person who would deal with it in that way.
    It's completely fitting that she hasn't been more open about her loss, but there have been things in S2 that she did that were not typical which hints at someone who isn't quite thinking the same way she used to. It's very subtle but it's there if you study it. Pretty awesome if you ask me!
    At the same time though, I'd love to see a few little private acknowledgements here and there. I want to see that Helen - although a strong, smart and capable woman - has vulnerabilities and flaws. Flawed people - particularly emotionally flawed ones - are very attractive to me as characters. That's why I used to adore Mulder so much... has nothing to do with those sexy grey-green eyes of his... oh no no no.

And, er, did I sillyfy that enough at the end to prevent GW breakage?

Did I just make that word up?

Oh... *wibble*

*runz off to get ready for work*
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
      Love the video Jumble. I think that's one of my favourites (apart from Sex Bomb, of course. )
      Oh pleeeeeze can we all forget about Sex Bomb?

Very quick Heellloooo Wooohooos! since I have to go to work in half an hour on one of my rare afternoon things. I'm supposed to be trying to copy a DVD called "Grief In The Family" (nice subject matter, but such is my job and I really can't complain for the rewards it brings) but I can't be bothered to sort it out. Will have to wait until next week.

That's exactly how I see it. You don't ever... ever, ever get over the death of a loved one; you just learn to incorporate your feelings for the loss into who you are now (because it changes you). And nothing goes against the natural order of things more than the death of a child. Helen's grief is so deep and so painful that she can't... she can't allow it to even be considered at times when she needs to focus on other things. it would swallow her. It's there and, yes, I am sure, there are private moments when she grieves openly, but we, as an audience don't need to see that week in and week out.
      I actually liken her grief to Jack's in SG-1 over Charlie. You know he functioned - for the most part - and never let on how painful it was... but every now and then, there was something in an episode that hinted that he still carried the burden of grief deep inside. Remember in Lost City (*takes moment to fangurl one of my favourite episodes and.... oh look, who directed it again?* ) when Sam asks about the picture and if he still sees his ex? He just can't talk about that life he had. He can't! It hurts too much the be reminded.
      It's a typical male reaction to "bury" feelings of loss and not acknowledge how deeply they have affected you but it's by no means only men who do that. Women do too and, in some ways I see Helen being exactly the sort of person who would deal with it in that way.
      It's completely fitting that she hasn't been more open about her loss, but there have been things in S2 that she did that were not typical which hints at someone who isn't quite thinking the same way she used to. It's very subtle but it's there if you study it. Pretty awesome if you ask me!
      Very well put

At the same time though, I'd love to see a few little private acknowledgements here and there. I want to see that Helen - although a strong, smart and capable woman - has vulnerabilities and flaws. Flawed people - particularly emotionally flawed ones - are very attractive to me as characters. That's why I used to adore Mulder so much... has nothing to do with those sexy grey-green eyes of his... oh no no no.
      Ah, so this is why you love me?

*ignores reference to green eyes since I'm too busy to......... um....*

Oh ok, green eyes are AWESOME!!!

Oh... *wibble*

I think you did........ and why does that ^^ make my think of SyFy?

Comment

Morning Woohoos.

Firstly, a belated Happy Birthday to Nad! I didn't get chance to get on here after all. *hugs*

I've been so, so busy this week. Next week actually looks easier since I'm not at work as much. I haven't been on my computer that much. One more reason why I love my new phone, because I can still keep it touch on twitter and check emails. But coming on GW isn't so easy

When I get a free moment, I'll read back through the thread!

*huggles you all*
        sigpic
        Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Oh... *wibble*

It won't let me green you for this - but, just so you know, this is so very well put and I agree
          sigpic
          Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

*hugs Wendy for the busy week*

How are the driving lessons coming along? Got a date for the test yet?

Comment

*hugs Wendy for the busy week*

How are the driving lessons coming along? Got a date for the test yet?
              *hugs*

My driving lessons are going really well. I'm practising for my theory test but there's no date yet. I'm finding that, weirdly, I really enjoy driving. It doesn't really make that much sense to me. I certainly don't like it when it's busy, not at all. But just driving, I really like that. And maneuvers are quite interesting and I like those, too. I am getting excited about having my own car -- yet nervous. I'm feeling very complicated but mostly looking forward to having my own car.
              sigpic
              Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post
                *hugs*

My driving lessons are going really well. I'm practising for my theory test but there's no date yet. I'm finding that, weirdly, I really enjoy driving. It doesn't really make that much sense to me. I certainly don't like it when it's busy, not at all. But just driving, I really like that. And maneuvers are quite interesting and I like those, too. I am getting excited about having my own car -- yet nervous. I'm feeling very complicated but mostly looking forward to having my own car.
                Good to hear that you're enjoying it and have got past your fears. Well done you!

I doubt anybody 'likes' it when it's busy, but with practise and experience we all learn to fear it less

(Oh, ok, I know I still refuse to drive on the M25 because it scares me In my defense, I've seen people do some really crazy things on there and I'm not about to get in their way )

I used to hate driving in the dark, but it doesn't bother me so much now. Probably because I've had to do it a lot over the last few years and I've got used to it

Hm. This wood be a good day for Martin to lurk, while we're all being good and talking sensibly

Comment

Good to hear that you're enjoying it and have got past your fears. Well done you!

I doubt anybody 'likes' it when it's busy, but with practise and experience we all learn to fear it less

(Oh, ok, I know I still refuse to drive on the M25 because it scares me In my defense, I've seen people do some really crazy things on there and I'm not about to get in their way )

I used to hate driving in the dark, but it doesn't bother me so much now. Probably because I've had to do it a lot over the last few years and I've got used to it

Hm. This wood be a good day for Martin to lurk, while we're all being good and talking sensibly
                  When it's busy, people (other drivers) seem to get "mean". I don't know what that is, but they turn into bullies. And I get bothered by the stop/start when I'm still learning and having to really think about what I'm doing. It's nice to not be as scared, it's still there, and probably always will be, but I'm learning to not let it control me.

*makes note to avoid the M25*

I've yet to drive in the dark

You do know that if he was to lurk, we'd all get silly!
                  sigpic
                  Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post
                    When it's busy, people (other drivers) seem to get "mean". I don't know what that is, but they turn into bullies. And I get bothered by the stop/start when I'm still learning and having to really think about what I'm doing. It's nice to not be as scared, it's still there, and probably always will be, but I'm learning to not let it control me.
                    *does silly cheerleader stuff with pompoms* Go Wendy! Go Wendy!

I cheat out on the stop/start thing - I drive an automatic

*makes note to avoid the M25*

I've yet to drive in the dark
                    You'll be fine with it, like most people are

You do know that if he was to lurk, we'd all get silly!
                    Ah, but we woodn't know it was him lurking

But it wood be just our luck for him to turn up on one of our *cough*fun*cough days

*checks* Nope, no guests today. They obviously don't find us quite so amusing when we're in sensible mode

Comment

Morning Woohoos!

My cold has moved rapidly from my throat to my chest. So breathing = challenging. Ah well. More zinc. More fluids. Too bad I have a full day of seeing patients today.

Originally posted by llp View Post
                      Now, with all that being said....I still can't wait for a week from Friday when it will be on again!
                      One week! Woo!

1. At the same time though, I'd love to see a few little private acknowledgements here and there. I want to see that Helen - although a strong, smart and capable woman - has vulnerabilities and flaws. 2. Flawed people - particularly emotionally flawed ones - are very attractive to me as characters.
                      1. This is what I was saying. I don't want to see Helen running around crying all the time, but the occasional tip of the hat to Ashley would be normal and fitting.

2. Indeed. Perfect people are boring.
                      sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

*stumbles in*

Morning

*stumbles toward kitchen*

EDIT: Yes, some days I DO post just to see my Joe sig.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by luvnjack View Post
                          *stumbles in*

Morning

*stumbles toward kitchen*

EDIT: Yes, some days I DO post just to see my Joe sig.
                          Only some days?

*huggles MoB for feeling worse* I'd offer you The Quilt to make you feel better, but that Josiane is still hogging it

Comment

Only some days?

*huggles MoB for feeling worse* I'd offer you The Quilt to make you feel better, but that Josiane is still hogging it

Aw thanks. I'm a terrible sick person in that I do my best to pretend I'm not sick. Well, unless I'm deathly ill...

In good news... looks like there's a job that's mine for the taking if I want it. I just have to figure out if I want it. …
                            sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
                              Aw thanks. I'm a terrible sick person in that I do my best to pretend I'm not sick. Well, unless I'm deathly ill...
                              I'm the same, just keep going no matter what

In good news... looks like there's a job that's mine for the taking if I want it. I just have to figure out if I want it. …
                              What? Where? Details!!!!!

PS muse just popped this one out...

Comment

Because I'm on the mend, and MoB is not, I hereby pass on the Quilt of Martin Magic Hope it makes you feel better!
                                *hugs*

Jumble, that's so pretty
                                sigpic
                                Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Working...
                                X