No announcement yet.

The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way, happy belated Fourth of July!! *presents hotdogs, chips, tacos, and cake*

Comment

Originally posted by NumberSix View Post
      Is that the way it is for all the shows SyFy airs then? They don't pay anything to make the shows, just buy rights to air them? Who do they buy the rights from?
      This is how all the shows on TV work (for the most part). They are produced and paid for by a studio and then the networks buy the rights to air the episodes.

In Sanctuary's case, they didn't have a big studio backing them, they were privately funded and their biggest funder was 'The Beedie Group' which I believe mostly deals in real estate and property development. They decided to no longer fund the show after season 4. I assume that M.A.D. tried to find another source of funding which would explain the delay in announcement. It was finally decided that it was not possible to fund another season.

*disclaimer* I am not an expert in the TV business, I just read a lot and know a lot of people in the business (living in L.A. you can't really avoid that )

Comment

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post

What Antoa said. Sanctuary isn't really a SyFy show, IIRC. The show is owned/principally funded by another group, and they weren't making money in it, and tv IS a business, so they decided to pull the plug. SyFy is the USA distributor of the show, but not the biggest money for it.
        You're referring to the Beedie Group, right? I saw the thank you to them in the credits and read about them being one of the show's financial backers (the major one, from the sounds of what antoa says above and other stuff I read).

Originally posted by tinnec View Post

What does the writing was on the wall mean?

Grr! Sanctuary would be not that expensive!! It's all green screen! That's as cheap as you can get, I imagine!

What is PNW?

Yay SyFy! Good for you for being supportive! Interesting about SyFy and Sanctuary and rights.

Who dared to back out? I heard if there'd been a fifth season they might've made it their last as they were hoping for at least five seasons....?
        Primeval New World, I think. (which I forgot to mention -- I'm hoping will be aired on a U.S. station so I have a chance to see it.)

At least SyFY wanted them back. That's good news, especially if there's still a possibility for a movie..... I mean... especially since there is still a possibility for a movie (positive thoughts).

The previously mentioned Beedie Group backed out.

By the way, happy belated Fourth of July!! *presents hotdogs, chips, tacos, and cake*
        Oh good. More food!

Originally posted by antoa
        This is how all the shows on TV work (for the most part). They are produced and paid for by a studio and then the networks buy the rights to air the episodes.

In Sanctuary's case, they didn't have a big studio backing them, they were privately funded and their biggest funder was 'The Beedie Group' which I believe mostly deals in real estate and property development. They decided to no longer fund the show after season 4. I assume that M.A.D. tried to find another source of funding which would explain the delay in announcement. It was finally decided that it was not possible to fund another season.
        Just trying to work it all out in my little head. The stupid questions I had bouncing around in my brain were: If SyFy really wanted them back, couldn't they have paid more to purchase the rights than they have in the past (maybe they considered this but decided it was too much), or are they set at a certain amount they'll pay and it's the same for every show? And if the money paid goes to the producers/makers of a show, is that MAD or Beedie Group? And can that $ then be used to produce the show? Or are the rights only bought after the show is made? If that makes no sense, it's probably because it's late and I'm about half asleep.
        sigpic
        Thanks to yamiinsane for my lovely sig.

Comment

So tired and ready to go hooome...which I am, tomorrow...

*huggles the Woohoos*
          sigpic
          Big thanks to josi for avi and sig

Comment

The Foxy Ninja Woohoo? lol
            *think think think*
            Think fast

That is awesome!! I love conversations that come up like that! Once, I had a discussion with a girl on Black Friday about the Eragon books just to kill time.
            Happens a lot around here - it's hard for anyone to miss my love for Martin/Sanctuary/Stargate

What does the writing was on the wall mean?
            It means the end of an organization or activity may be coming - I think Martin meant they knew it was a strong possibility but it wasn't clear until the last minute.

Grr! Sanctuary would be not that expensive!! It's all green screen! That's as cheap as you can get, I imagine!
            Unfortunately not. The green screen saved them spending money on building sets, but the work that Anthem then had to do to create the show was very expensive. The post-production costs must have been phenomenal.

What is PNW?
            Primeval: New World - the Canadian spin-off of the UK's Primeval that Martin and most of the Sanctuary crew are currently working on

Originally posted by Devilish Me View Post
            So tired and ready to go hooome...which I am, tomorrow...

*huggles the Woohoos*
            *huggles Dee* Sounds like you had a brilliant time

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
              Unfortunately not. The green screen saved them spending money on building sets, but the work that Anthem then had to do to create the show was very expensive. The post-production costs must have been phenomenal.
              That was my thinking - CGI is horridly expensive and time-consuming.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NumberSix View Post
                Just trying to work it all out in my little head. The stupid questions I had bouncing around in my brain were: If SyFy really wanted them back, couldn't they have paid more to purchase the rights than they have in the past (maybe they considered this but decided it was too much), or are they set at a certain amount they'll pay and it's the same for every show? And if the money paid goes to the producers/makers of a show, is that MAD or Beedie Group? And can that $ then be used to produce the show? Or are the rights only bought after the show is made? If that makes no sense, it's probably because it's late and I'm about half asleep.
                Syfy will pay what they think is a reasonable amount based on what they think they will get from the advertisers. They make their money from ads and since they are out to make money, they can't pay more for a show than what they can pull in via ads. I do not believe this money is given up front, which is why they need financial backers to make the show - i.e. people to invest. The money goes to the production company (i.e. financial backers) they also get money from DVD sales and any merchandise sales (which is why Sanctuary merch is hard to come by compared to other Syfy shows because it would have to be the Beedie Group that would produce it since they have the rights) and any 'international distribution' of the show. The EP's (i.e. M.A.D.) get a salary. I know that in the first season they waived their EP salary to get the show made (they just got paid as directors and actors). I am not sure about subsequent seasons. I do remember that when I was on the set for a visit during the filming of the season 2 opener, it was payday and so checks were being handed out and AT made a quip about actually getting paid that season

*additional disclaimer* Once again, not an expert.

Comment

I had a great time! filled up withenergy and very very tanned.*giggels*

Though June was definitely not my month, a guy didn't want to take no for an answer so I had to make him What is it withguys I attract... They all seem to be on the psychotic side of life

Hommeee tomorrooooow!

*huggles*
                  sigpic
                  Big thanks to josi for avi and sig

Comment

NumberSix - Just heard that the Space Channel (Canada) and BBC America are partnering up - therefore according to Gillian (who is connected with the show) there is a good chance that PNW (Primevil New World) might start showing up on BBC America later this year or early next year. YEAH! If you have cable TV (which most Americans have some form of) you have a good chance of getting BBC America!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Devilish Me View Post
                      I had a great time! filled up withenergy and very very tanned.*giggels*

Though June was definitely not my month, a guy didn't want to take no for an answer so I had to make him What is it with guys I attract... They all seem to be on the psychotic side of life

Hommeee tomorrooooow!

*huggles*
                      Why does this surprise you?

Glad you had a good time - looking forward to seeing pics of the tan
                      Last edited by Jumble; 06 July 2012, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Hello everyone! Hope all is well.
                        Icon by AceofHadeon Sig by TrueRomantic

sigpic

Comment

*runs in with broccoli and hugs*
                          *jumps on the couch*
                          Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic
                          Letters to TPTB - The Martin Wood Thread - WooHoodStock Guide -S.H.I.P. Website

Comment

*rubs back*
                            Ouch! Watch where you're jumping there, young Nad. I was sleeping on that couch
                            sigpic
                            Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
                              *rubs back*
                              Ouch! Watch where you're jumping there, young Nad. I was sleeping on that couch
                              Sorry

It did make an extra special bouncy experience though.
                              Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic
                              Letters to TPTB - The Martin Wood Thread - WooHoodStock Guide -S.H.I.P. Website

Comment

Originally posted by DutchIndeed View Post
                                Sorry

It did make an extra special bouncy experience though.
                                sigpic
                                Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Working...
                                X