The secrets on how to make artwork of the Sam/Jack ship family thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jumble View Post
    Wow, this challenge has sure given us a lot to talk about I always thought it was 'Ti Amo', but what do I know
    *clears throat embarrassedly*

Latin would be te amo. Ti amo is Italian. Diligere means to love as in value highly or prize, and would therefore make sense kind of, but amare is the verb to love for people. And classical Latin tended not to use the personal pronouns because the verb endings show who you're talking about so no need for the 'ego'. And 'vos' is the plural for you, so actually 'ego diligo vos' means 'I value you (plural) highly'.

Sorry...

*slinks out*
    sigpic
    Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

*drags Twin back in*

oh yeah that'll be it, if you look at the bottom of the blue tool bar in windows ther should be a little blue box with EN (English) on mine I've activated chinese so I get CH... ????*????*??*

Edit: ok that's odd, I can write in han it comes up with simplifed but when I post it comes up with ??? ah well I guess VB doesn't use simplified
      At least PSP lets me write in han
      Last edited by Aveo_amacus; 01 February 2009, 05:55 AM.
      sigpicMy Fanfic

Comment

Wow, this challenge has sure given us a lot to talk about I always thought it was 'Ti Amo', but what do I know
        I think Ti Amo is italian and Te Amo is latin if my memories serve me right.

so here's my atempt:

it's latin and says:
        To love and be wise is scarcely granted even to a god.

edit: Josi beat me to it. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
          *clears throat embarrassedly*

Latin would be te amo. Ti amo is Italian. Diligere means to love as in value highly or prize, and would therefore make sense kind of, but amare is the verb to love for people. And classical Latin tended not to use the personal pronouns because the verb endings show who you're talking about so no need for the 'ego'. And 'vos' is the plural for you, so actually 'ego diligo vos' means 'I value you (plural) highly'.

Sorry...

*slinks out*
          *giggles*

I know, but I put "ego diligo vos" as the Latin because te amo is so similar to the Italian, which I already had. Plus, it's immediately recognisable as Latin. Oh dear, now you all think I'm complelely stupid! I do know Latin, honest!

Here's my sig...

EDIT: Beautiful sig, Fainne! Lovely use of the Latin. And tut tag! Do you think you could do a tut for that - I want to know how to acheive those effects on PSP. Thanks! *hugs*
          ~Thanks to Achaja for my lovely birthday presents!!~

Comment

Told you I knew nothing, potato potahto

Fainne manip or not, that is one beautiful sig

Comment

Originally posted by LiliJ View Post
              *giggles*

I know, but I put "ego diligo vos" as the Latin because te amo is so similar to the Italian, which I already had. Plus, it's immediately recognisable as Latin. Oh dear, now you all think I'm complelely stupid! I do know Latin, honest!
              nooo, you are not stupid. there are many different phrase which say the same thing

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...eddinglove.jpg

EDIT: Beautiful sig, Fainne! Lovely use of the Latin. And tut tag! Do you think you could do a tut for that - I want to know how to acheive those effects on PSP. Thanks! *hugs*
              very nice. I love the bg!

a tut? sure. but i will do it when I've got more time. I think Aveo waits for a tut from me too AAAH damn uni. but i will make one, i promise. Except for the colouring the sig is very similiar to a tut i already posted here I reposted it in the spoilertags
              Spoiler:

open these two pictures and cute their bodies out. I chose a portrait and a pic of her lying, which makes composition easier. 1, 2

open a canvas 600x200, chose a bright colour from the pics ( I chose #f0e5e2) and fill the canvas with it.

add a new layer -> mark an arbitrary area with the freehand tool -> fill with #fbf8f7 -> LEAVE the selection of the freehand tool

add a new layer -> use a handwritten-text-brush with this colour #7c4d44
              as you can see the brush only works within the selection. Now you can remove the selection. set layer mode on multiplication 70% opacity

now duplicate the layer under the layer with the brushes (which you filled with #fbf8f7) -> effects -> edges ->trace contour

layer mode->multiplication ->20% opacity

merge the layers without the background layer.

copy and paste Amanada's pics as new layers and sharpen them once.

add a new layer behind every amanda pic. Freehand tool -> roughly border Amanda's pictures and fil lthe area with #f4edea -> effects -> edges-> trace contour

new raster layer ->fill with #f1eded -> layer mode: soft light -> cut out a wide area in the middle of it -> trace contours and shift the layer between the two Amanda picture layers

copy the layer with the textbrushes and put it on top -> downsize it

add new raster layer -> select an area right above the small textbrush layer with the rectangle tool and fill it with #ffffff -> layer mode: soft light

merge all layers -> effects -> noise -> edge preserving smooth -> adjustment 4 -> sharpen the layer twice

layers-> adjustment layers-> colour balance layer ->

light2: -39; 14; -15
              midtones: 52;-15; 29
              shadows: 44;-10; 5

merge layers & duplicate them. use Gaussian Blur on the top layer and set it on soft light.

write Amanda with Saginaw

add a new vector layer, use the pen tool to add some lines in different widths with th same colour the text has, set it on multiplication, opacity 70% and it looks like this:
              [IMG][/IMG]

well, hope it wasn't too confusing and you like it

Fainne manip or not, that is one beautiful sig
              thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Fainne View Post
                I think Ti Amo is italian and Te Amo is latin if my memories serve me right.

so here's my atempt:
                http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...jacklatein.png
                it's latin and says:
                To love and be wise is scarcely granted even to a god.

edit: Josi beat me to it. thanks
                Lovely

EDIT: Wonderful sig Lili
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LiliJ View Post
                  *giggles*

But I thought that was the whole point I thought Latin was the root language for so many of the modern european languages and that's why they're all so similar. Spanish, Portuguese and Italian (and Romanian) use the same original language root which is why they're so similar. Am I really wrong on this? I know it was about 4/5 years since I did Latin..
                  sigpicMy Fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Aveo_amacus View Post
                    But I thought that was the whole point I thought Latin was the root language for so many of the modern european languages and that's why they're all so similar. Spanish, Portuguese and Italian (and Romanian) use the same original language root which is why they're so similar. Am I really wrong on this? I know it was about 4/5 years since I did Latin..
                    No, you're exactly right
                    sigpic

Comment

I thought we were supposed to use a language that we don't know, so we had to ask another GimPS to translate?

Though where that leaves Josiane I have no idea since she seems to be fluent in every language Arabic? Burmese? Double-Dutch?

Comment

I thought we were supposed to use a language that we don't know, so we had to ask another GimPS to translate?

Though where that leaves Josiane I have no idea since she seems to be fluent in every language Arabic? Burmese? Double-Dutch?
                        ROFL, not quite Only properly know French & German, though I've dabbled in quite a few others Hence my choice of Italian and Middle High German, though I'll grant you that last one was a bit cheaty I might ask Bekki for some Indonesian for my third attempt though
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aveo_amacus View Post
                          no, it's true. believe it or not, german and french -even russian - has latin roots

well, I thought we all need to use a language we don't know and Oma just did the list so it'S easier for us to translate it. But we didn't limit it to the languages the other shippers speak, did we? I really don't know

what about clingon or elvish? can we use these? i'm not fluent in elvish but i got a dictionary

Comment

no, it's true. believe it or not, german and french -even russian - has latin roots

well, I thought we all need to use a language we don't know and Oma just did the list so it'S easier for us to translate it. But we didn't limit it to the languages the other shippers speak, did we? I really don't know

what about clingon or elvish? can we use these? i'm not fluent in elvish but i got a dictionary
                            What? You don't speak Klingon??? Call yourself a Sci-fi fan?

Comment

No, I don't think we had to limit it, the list was just so we knew who we could ask to translate for some languages I think so, anyway

Edit: who's going to be the first to use Goa'uld??
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
                                No, I don't think we had to limit it, the list was just so we knew who we could ask to translate for some languages I think so, anyway

Edit: who's going to be the first to use Goa'uld??
                                That what I thought

Jaffa! Kree!

Well 'Kree' has many meanings, so that could mean 'I love oranges'

Comment

Working...
                                X