Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
    I totally 100% agree Cel!! I want you there too
    I'll kick her arse when she doesn't come to AT4 and also if she doesn't come to Belgium, so I am sure she'll come... right Cel???
    Don't make me have to fly over there, cause I don't do flying

Comment

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
      I could use some input from everybody as I'm trying to decide whether or not to try to get tickets to AT4.

I have plenty of money. I have plenty of time. I will be able to take as many days as needed to make a nice trip to the UK. I've actually been wanting to get back there as last year was my 20th year college reunion and I still keep in touch with several classmates who mostly live in the UK. I've also wanted to take a combo wool buying/hiking/whisky/golf/B&B tour of Scotland (emphasis on the whisky )

What I'm struggling with is ....Do I really want to spend that much money on something like AT4?

I likely wouldn't go to a larger convention as that is way too many people and way too much confusion/bustle/waiting in line (emphasis on waiting in line ). I like the idea of a much smaller group where you can meet and get to know each other. Plus, the idea of actually being able to see AT from closer than nosebleed seats is enticing.

Oy! All of this worrying before the ticket is in hand and, with my slow typing, may never be in hand.

So here is my question....

Without money, time, and the ability to travel as obstacles, why would you attend AT4?

Thanks in advance

Oh, by the way. And to add a kicker I spend waaaaaayyyy too much of my time at meetings and conventions, so the very thought of voluntarily going to one on a vacation is NOT my idea of a good time.

I've had a similar issue in the past. I thought about going to AT2 and thought more seriously about it when the Avalon event was scheduled right after it. To be perfectly honest, I was unsure what kind of people went to these events and was slightly concerned about their sanity. In the end I decided it was crazy to spend all that money to fly across the ocean to see two actors.

Then I started to read about conventions, how Amanda genuinely appreciated her fans and how she didn't think they were nuts. I also saw some you tube videos of various Q & As and it seemed like a lot of fun. I bought a ticket to AT3 but still wasn't sure I would go. Just hedging my bets. I was going to visit family in France so I eventually decided to go to AT3 at the start of my trip. That way, if the event was a bust, it wasn't a complete waste of an airline ticket.

My experience was nothing but positive. The people who attended were normal (well, maybe a couple were crazy, I'll leave you to speculate on who those might be ). I met many interesting people from all over the world. Some I may never see again but it was interesting to spend time with them nonetheless. The G4 and their staff were kind and helpful. Amanda was very entertaining and it was wonderful to see how kind, patient and compassionate she was with those fans who were a bit overwhelmed at meeting her. A lot of money was raised for some good causes.

Was there a downside? Only that it cost a lot of money. However, I am not much of a consumer and view the best use of money to be the experiences it can bring to you and to others. I have always felt that travel is important. If you stay home you tend to see the bad side of others around the world because the news focuses on the negative. Travel can restore your faith that most people are good and it often makes you appreciate what you have. (Wow. Getting way too preachy).

Bottom line, it was worth it. My current plan is to attend AT4 so that says it all (maybe I should have just said that ).

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
        I still think buying a ticket and then deciding not to go is the lesser of the two evils. You'll be kicking yourself if you decide not to buy a ticket and then later on realise that you want to go.

plus....purely selfishly...I want you to go
        Me too Cel

hisg1fans going to AT3 was the best thing I've ever done! For all the reasons everyone's already mentioned, when I go I pay for 3 tickets (I take 2 carers with me ) but I wouldn't change that for the world, IMHO its definitely worth every penny!

Julia(samcarterrules)
        sigpic
        Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
          I've had a similar issue in the past. I thought about going to AT2 and thought more seriously about it when the Avalon event was scheduled right after it. To be perfectly honest, I was unsure what kind of people went to these events and was slightly concerned about their sanity. In the end I decided it was crazy to spend all that money to fly across the ocean to see two actors.

Then I started to read about conventions, how Amanda genuinely appreciated her fans and how she didn't think they were nuts. I also saw some you tube videos of various Q & As and it seemed like a lot of fun. I bought a ticket to AT3 but still wasn't sure I would go. Just hedging my bets. I was going to visit family in France so I eventually decided to go to AT3 at the start of my trip. That way, if the event was a bust, it wasn't a complete waste of an airline ticket.

My experience was nothing but positive. The people who attended were normal (well, maybe a couple were crazy, I'll leave you to speculate on who those might be ). I met many interesting people from all over the world. Some I may never see again but it was interesting to spend time with them nonetheless. The G4 and their staff were kind and helpful. Amanda was very entertaining and it was wonderful to see how kind, patient and compassionate she was with those fans who were a bit overwhelmed at meeting her. A lot of money was raised for some good causes.

Was there a downside? Only that it cost a lot of money. However, I am not much of a consumer and view the best use of money to be the experiences it can bring to you and to others. I have always felt that travel is important. If you stay home you tend to see the bad side of others around the world because the news focuses on the negative. Travel can restore your faith that most people are good and it often makes you appreciate what you have. (Wow. Getting way too preachy).

Bottom line, it was worth it. My current plan is to attend AT4 so that says it all (maybe I should have just said that ).
          Hmmm. Who you callin' crazy?

But, we like it when you babble on. Seriously, you always express things very well.
          Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
          William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
          Anon

Comment

That's what I want to add.... I've never been to an AT event, but the cons in general, I have to say that it's the people that have really made them for me....
            Like if you took away the guests and just made it a weekend to spend together, that would be so much fun too....
            Granted, I totally think Amanda is completely a reason to get together for a con, otherwise I'd be goofy to be here.... and I am goofy, but not for that reason...
            Honestly I totally can't wait to meet everyone in person! From some of the stories shared, it sounds way to fun... and that's only the ones you shared...
            *squee* It's just so exciting to think about!
            sigpic
            awesome siggie courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

I went to AT3 for AT. I left a better person for all the other people I met while there, including dear friends from a board I've posted on for two years now.

And if you can combine them? Those are the moments that make you cry, both with sadness for the end of a con, and joy for the love you all share.

I would never trade those memories.

Spoiler:
              Last edited by LilFerret; 18 December 2008, 08:30 PM.
              Jenni

Comment

329 Days to go until AT4!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post

But, we like it when you babble on. Seriously, you always express things very well.
                  Hmmmmmmmmm ...... interesting that you automatically think the "crazy" remark was referring to you.

Comment

Originally Posted by rderoch
                    Hmmmmmmmmm ...... interesting that you automatically think the "crazy" remark was referring to you.
                    That's who I thought of
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Hi guys, I need your help, well actually it's more of a request . I've already PM'd a few people about this, but I was told I could reach people faster like this. Now, in my 1000th post, I unveiled my first big Amanda YT vid, that one was mostly an Amanda centred vid, with all pics of her from early on in her career and her life. There was also a few good pics of her fans and co-stars in there from SG and Sanctuary. I made that vid to show the kind of person she is, and why so many people love her, and why people would want to love her. That vid did rather well in fan and critic reviews btw .

Now I'm going after something else . I'm making another Amanda YT vid, and I'd like this one to be her (of course ) and her fans . I know there's plenty of Amanda and fan pics out there, I know I've seen some . But I like to make a YT vid of her and her fans to show the close and special bond they share . So I'm asking you if that's OK, do yo have any pics of you and Amanda I can use? I can't just go and get a pic of you and her on Samanda and use it without telling you or getting permission, that's just wrong. So is it OK if I use a pic or 2 of you and Amanda in my vid? If it is, can you please PM me and we'll talk . It's up to you of course, and you pick the pics, duh .

Also, as something I just came up with, I got an idea to do something more than just a picture video. I'd also like to add some text in the picture, something said by the fan to make it extra special . So if there's anything you like to say about Amanda, like a fond memory or something, write it in your next post to me and I'll put it in there . If you'd like .

Thanks for reading .
                      Last edited by Rocky89; 19 December 2008, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                        That's who I thought of
                        Well, that's a surprise.

NOT!
                        Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                        William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                        Anon

Comment

328 Days to go until AT4!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
                            I still think buying a ticket and then deciding not to go is the lesser of the two evils. You'll be kicking yourself if you decide not to buy a ticket and then later on realise that you want to go.

plus....purely selfishly...I want you to go
                            Ditto what she said -- both points!

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                            I don't know! I haven't been so undecided about something of this enormity in a long time. It's nuts! One day I'm gung ho and the next I'm getting second thoughts. *shakes head*
                            I so know how you feel, if not the actual specifics of your decision-making process. I have no idea where I'm going to be in 11 months ... although I'm so very, very hoping to be in the UK right about then And let's face it, so long as you're not aiming for a cocktail ticket, the largest thing that the timing of your purchase will affect at the event itself is where you sit in the hall ... and as it's been said many time already, there isn't a bad seat in that house!

Originally posted by LilFerret View Post
                            I went to AT3 for AT. I left a better person for all the other people I met while there, including dear friends from a board I've posted on for two years now.

And if you can combine them? Those are the moments that make you cry, both with sadness for the end of a con, and joy for the love you all share.

I would never trade those memories.

Spoiler:
                            I totally second this opinion. And on a personal note, directly after making that memory, AT then ordered me to stay crazy I told her it wouldn't be a problem LOL yay for memories!!!

Funny, I figured I was in on that select group =o
                            Should I be feeling left out? (j/k m'dear)
                            ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                            ames on facebook
                            ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

327 Days to go until AT4!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ames View Post

Funny, I figured I was in on that select group =o
                                Should I be feeling left out? (j/k m'dear)
                                No comment.

Comment

Working...
                                X