X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

331 Days to go until AT4!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
      I could use some input from everybody as I'm trying to decide whether or not to try to get tickets to AT4.

I have plenty of money. I have plenty of time. I will be able to take as many days as needed to make a nice trip to the UK. I've actually been wanting to get back there as last year was my 20th year college reunion and I still keep in touch with several classmates who mostly live in the UK. I've also wanted to take a combo wool buying/hiking/whisky/golf/B&B tour of Scotland (emphasis on the whisky )

What I'm struggling with is ....Do I really want to spend that much money on something like AT4?

I likely wouldn't go to a larger convention as that is way too many people and way too much confusion/bustle/waiting in line (emphasis on waiting in line ). I like the idea of a much smaller group where you can meet and get to know each other. Plus, the idea of actually being able to see AT from closer than nosebleed seats is enticing.

Oy! All of this worrying before the ticket is in hand and, with my slow typing, may never be in hand.

So here is my question....

Without money, time, and the ability to travel as obstacles, why would you attend AT4?

Thanks in advance

Oh, by the way. And to add a kicker I spend waaaaaayyyy too much of my time at meetings and conventions, so the very thought of voluntarily going to one on a vacation is NOT my idea of a good time.
      Originally posted by ames View Post
      Quick answer: the people.

Longer answer: the people ... and the stories to tell afterwards
      What she said...

The people. I'm don't have to travel that far (a bus from Sheffield) so its not like I am jetting around the world to get there like a lot of fans, but really it is the people. All of them, Amanda, the friends I went to hang out with, the new friends I made, the Gabit staff who make the weekend so much fun and the 249 other fans who make the atmosphere almost drug like.

I'll admit that if it was in another country it would have to be somewhere I'd want to visit anyway to make the trip.

It is completely different to any work convention. I've not been to many work-based conventions, but the few I have been to are completely different in all but name to fandom conventions. Not that I know what type of conventions you go to for work, but I can report that social services ones are boring!

If money and time (and visa legalities) was no problem I'd be living in Colorado, but flying back to the UK for AT4 *nods*
      sigpic
      Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
      My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        well, if i was independantly wealthy and had a couple of thousand to blow (by the time you put together air fare and hotel and the con ticket, it's close to that for a yank), sure, i'd go
        I'm not independently wealthy either, but I have enough and a bit for the trip and am told I need to be spending in on myself. And not on the electric bill or the house. I just have to decide what I want to spend my time doing.

Y'all had gone over costs earlier in the thread, so I knew how much was needed for AT4. Yes, the exchange rate was much better for a while, but I don't know how long that will last in these economic times.

Thanks for all the help from everybody, both now and in earlier months. The info on costs, logistics, etc. has been very helpful

Maybe we'll see you there!

Comment

I could use some input from everybody as I'm trying to decide whether or not to try to get tickets to AT4.

I have plenty of money. I have plenty of time. I will be able to take as many days as needed to make a nice trip to the UK. I've actually been wanting to get back there as last year was my 20th year college reunion and I still keep in touch with several classmates who mostly live in the UK. I've also wanted to take a combo wool buying/hiking/whisky/golf/B&B tour of Scotland (emphasis on the whisky )

What I'm struggling with is ....Do I really want to spend that much money on something like AT4?

I likely wouldn't go to a larger convention as that is way too many people and way too much confusion/bustle/waiting in line (emphasis on waiting in line ). I like the idea of a much smaller group where you can meet and get to know each other. Plus, the idea of actually being able to see AT from closer than nosebleed seats is enticing.

Oy! All of this worrying before the ticket is in hand and, with my slow typing, may never be in hand.

So here is my question....

Without money, time, and the ability to travel as obstacles, why would you attend AT4?

Thanks in advance

Oh, by the way. And to add a kicker I spend waaaaaayyyy too much of my time at meetings and conventions, so the very thought of voluntarily going to one on a vacation is NOT my idea of a good time.

I've been to a lot of science fiction conventions and don't go to many anymore, but the Gabit conventions are unlike any others I have attended. Three hundred people versus fifteen thousand makes a huge difference. As a result, you really do have more of an opportunity to interact with Amanda, who has the most positive attitude of any guest I have ever seen at a convention. She genuinely likes her fans and doesn't just tolerate us. It's a refreshing change from the typical star attitude of so many actors.

I went to AT3 to see more than just Amanda. I had the opportunity to meet so many of the people I interact with online on a regular basis. I have group pictures from the con where I can identify every person in them and tell you about their personalities. That was where the trip really became worth it to me. On top of all that, I got to spend some time checking out London which I had wanted to do since a layover I had there 25 years ago.

It sounds to me, though, is that the trouble for you isn't in deciding to go to AT4 but justifying spending that much money on yourself with nothing tangible to show for it. First of all, not only is AT4 worth it, you are worth it too. Secondly, my memories of AT3 aren't tangible, but I wouldn't trade them for the world.

I'd like to go to AT4, but I'm starting my graduate degree soon and also won't be able to take time off from work. (I took a leave of absence for AT3, but they won't let me do that again.) So it's out of the picture for now. Maybe in a few years if Amanda does another Gabit con in London.

I think you'd regret not going, and I don't think you'd have any regrets if you did go.
          sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
          May we all be so well loved.

Comment

General question here for anyone who might know.

Has anyone (or anyone you know) bought a ticket then had to sell it later on? I'm just walking the fence here a bit and wondering if the ticket would be attractive to anyone or did/would the seller have to lower the price just to get rid of it?

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
              SNIP
              I think you'd regret not going, and I don't think you'd have any regrets if you did go.
              This is so well said.

Cel ... I only know of people who have sold the cocktailparty part of their pass, obviously that was no problem (that goes through gabit). I do remember on the gabit forum that someone offered up normal passes, don't know how that worked out. Would probably also depend on when you would need to sell.

It does seem like Amanda is more popular these days (even more lol) and maybe AT4 will sell out, in that case it might be easier to sell a ticket.

Mmm ... this is no real help is it? Hehe.
              sigpic

Comment

330 Days to go until AT4!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                  General question here for anyone who might know.

Has anyone (or anyone you know) bought a ticket then had to sell it later on? I'm just walking the fence here a bit and wondering if the ticket would be attractive to anyone or did/would the seller have to lower the price just to get rid of it?
                  I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure that the tickets are non transferable and you are not allowed to sell them yourself. If you where unable to make it I think the proceedure was that you had to tell Gabit and they would offer it on your behalf. This is difficult if the tickets are not sold out though, as it possibly wouldn't be sold on.

I guess that a coctail ticket would be more attractive to people but given how those tickets are being handled this year they might be even more strict on having them returned to offer them to existing regular ticket holders.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                    This is so well said.

Cel ... I only know of people who have sold the cocktailparty part of their pass, obviously that was no problem (that goes through gabit). I do remember on the gabit forum that someone offered up normal passes, don't know how that worked out. Would probably also depend on when you would need to sell.

It does seem like Amanda is more popular these days (even more lol) and maybe AT4 will sell out, in that case it might be easier to sell a ticket.

Mmm ... this is no real help is it? Hehe.
                    Originally posted by Mousie View Post
                    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure that the tickets are non transferable and you are not allowed to sell them yourself. If you where unable to make it I think the proceedure was that you had to tell Gabit and they would offer it on your behalf. This is difficult if the tickets are not sold out though, as it possibly wouldn't be sold on.

I guess that a coctail ticket would be more attractive to people but given how those tickets are being handled this year they might be even more strict on having them returned to offer them to existing regular ticket holders.
                    Okay thanks you both. I guess I have a few weeks yet to do some more thinking.

Comment

I still think buying a ticket and then deciding not to go is the lesser of the two evils. You'll be kicking yourself if you decide not to buy a ticket and then later on realise that you want to go.

plus....purely selfishly...I want you to go
                      sigpic
                      Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                      My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

I don't know! I haven't been so undecided about something of this enormity in a long time. It's nuts! One day I'm gung ho and the next I'm getting second thoughts. *shakes head*

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
                          I still think buying a ticket and then deciding not to go is the lesser of the two evils. You'll be kicking yourself if you decide not to buy a ticket and then later on realise that you want to go.

plus....purely selfishly...I want you to go
                          I totally 100% agree Cel!! I want you there too
                          sigpic

Comment

I guess it depends on can you afford to loose the ticket money. A lot of the conventions I have had tickets to in the past have changed the line ups from people I want to see to those I have seen many times before. In those cases I think to myself 'well I can not go, loose the money I've paid for the ticket and save the price of the hotel and travel (Not unrefundable airtickets obviously)'
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm not independently wealthy either, but I have enough and a bit for the trip and am told I need to be spending in on myself. And not on the electric bill or the house. I just have to decide what I want to spend my time doing.
                              well, what i meant by that was...hey if i had the money i'd hit about every con.

but since i don't....well you can't have everything you want

Originally posted by Mousie View Post

that's what i understand as well. and i think the issue isn't 'mary can't go so she sells her ticket to susan for the purchase price or a discounted price' it's to stop someone from buying multiple tickets, then scalpinig them at a huge profit
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I think you would be allowed to try to sell it yourself, but the actual transfer of the pass (when you find someone) has to be through gabit. At least, I thought something like that was mentioned on the gabit forum when someone tried to sell their pass.

Mmm ... you should probably ask Julia or Becky to be sure Cel.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X