swiss army knife
    flashlight with backup flashlight
    1 pair of jeans
    2 Gabit stewards T-shirts

reading material:
    A field guide to Fynbos
    Out of Africa (just because)

assorted lifesaving junk:
    vaccination record (Hep A, Diphteria, Tetanus - check, check, check)
    malaria prophylaxis

That should do it.

AT5 clashes with my South Africa trip. Luckily it's at the very end of the trip so I just need to cut the trip short and fly to London.
    We'll figure it out.
    I was wondering about that packing list until i got to the South Africa part!

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    Cost is a massive reason England is hard. With the exchange rate the tickets are 400 dollars each. The hotel 200 a night. Every meal 20-40 dollars. Then add in air fare almost doubling and it's 2000 - 4000 for the weekend.

I think that's one big reason cons are dwindling. Yes, some fatigue, but also the economy is just too uncertain to spend that much money on something so frivolous. People have had to make some very hard decisions. Tickets to a con can be several tanks of gas.
    I know that you don't mean anything negative by the use of the word frivolous but I just want to make an observational comment. I agree that most cons would fall into that category and the reason I am not going to Dragon Con, for example, is that I can't justify the cost when I am only interested in a small part of the event (basically AT, RD and anyone from Stargate). From my perspective, Gabit events are different because of the charitable aspect. To me it is not a frivolous trip just for my own benefit. Yes, I can give to the charities outside of the event (and I do) but it is much more fun to do it through the auction and the other means they have set up. So it is the charity, the friends and Amanda that combine to make it worthwhile to me. My friends and family always bug me that i don't spend money on myself and it is something that is hard for me to do so with Gabit the tipping point is really the fundraising. And I am not suggesting anything negative about going to cons just for the fun of it. If you can afford it, more power to you! It is just me. I have always had difficulty spending money just for me. some kind of sickness!

Here is another happy memory. At the last event, toward the end of the auction the young woman sitting next to me turned to me an said "I have the best seat in the house!". The look on her face and the feeling in her voice as she said that just made (and make) me smile.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

I mean no offense by frivolous. And yeah many events are. Heck the new toy I have is frivolous. Different people go for different reasons and there's nothing wrong with that. I've been to many cons and when I couple that with the 'you're just wasting your money on that stupid scifi stuff' when I do go to cons it almost becomes, for me, something that i almost feel guilty about doing. That I'm wasting time and money going. I get the guilt trip asking for rides to the airport or such. The attitude I get at home is what a waste it is so its easier not to go than deal with it.

Bur that's me. For anyone else it's your money, your time. Go if you want to. It's your life and live it as you want.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I mean no offense by frivolous. And yeah many events are. Heck the new toy I have is frivolous. Different people go for different reasons and there's nothing wrong with that. I've been to many cons and when I couple that with the 'you're just wasting your money on that stupid scifi stuff' when I do go to cons it almost becomes, for me, something that i almost feel guilty about doing. That I'm wasting time and money going. I get the guilt trip asking for rides to the airport or such. The attitude I get at home is what a waste it is so its easier not to go than deal with it.

Bur that's me. For anyone else it's your money, your time. Go if you want to. It's your life and live it as you want.
        AT5 was my first con ever! Probably for this reason I'm really waiting for AT6, and from twitter I know that there're many new people who wanna meet AT for the first time in their lives. Yeah it's not a cheap w-e, but I wanna repeat this experience!
        sigpic
        My vids Sig made by me

Comment

People shouldn't feel guilty for it. It is really no different than anything we do for ourselves. No different than a holiday, a new "toy", etc. Nothing wrong with that as long as it is not to the extreme (and here I am thinking of the guy in India who was building a 27 million dollar house for him and his family of 4--such greed when that kind of money could do so much for so many)

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
            AT doesn't strike me as a person who would be slowed down by her work with S4K or her career. But she is after all human so maybe she might spread her events out a bit...that I don't mind at all. I aim to attend AT8 after AT6 is done...that is my long term goal. No pressure G4.

Nice Jumble!!
            I think that there are always new faces at the cons & would be very surprised if fan numbers dropped off...Amanda did say she would do them as long as the fans wanted her...I don't think that's likely to ever change. JMHO.
            Totally agree - as long as there's a demand there'll always be another con

Comment

Originally posted by Trindajae View Post
              Personally, I'm going to be a deliberate unrealist right now, I think. The decision point is far enough in the future that I'm going to follow one of my two basic Rules for Life: Don't cross bridges before you come to them. Even if I make the decision right now, I'm still not going to get to that particular bridge for awhile. So count me in as an excited prospective attendee! (I might even be at grad school in England by that time, who knows?)

(Rule number two, for those who enjoy chuckling at my worldview: "Don't burn your bridges unless there's something chasing you." The method for implementing these two rules is pretty simple. Make 4 plans. Plan A = best-case scenario. Plan B = Most likely case. Plan C = Worst-case scenario. Plan D = Zombie Apocalypse. I laughed so hard during the Sanctuary episode when Druitt said, "So much for plans A through E" because I'm certain they actually had that many contingency plans and that's my favorite kind of planning... Also? When you put Zombie Apocalypse in the mix, the worst-case scenario often stops being quite so scary, thus making it easier to think clearly about how to plan for it. For practical intents and purposes, Zombie Apocalypse also includes earthquake, hurricane, volcano, terrorist attack or whatever massive emergency you want to include. But Zombies make me giggle, so I go with those because I plan better when I'm giggling.)
              The CDC has Zombie Apocalypse preparedness posters. They are all out of stock ATM, but you can download them as pdf files.
              http://wwwn.cdc.gov/pubs/phpr.aspx
              Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
              William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
              Anon

Comment

I'm not offended by the word frivolous, I think in the grand scheme of things conventions are exceptionally frivolous - it's a pure pleasure thing to do/ buy. Unlike food, housing, healthcare and transport.

People should spend their money and time however they see fit though. And life is too short to not pursue things that make YOU happy.

That said, I do get VERY annoyed when people make dozens of posts about how they can't afford their rent/ bills etc and then in the next breath talk about the conventions they're attending. But that's just because my brain informs me they aren't very bright

Comment

I agree - it's an expenditure, and I budget for it.
                  I was recently discussing the new budget with my folks (I'm seriously considering looking into buying a house instead of renting), and my dad questioned my GABIT entry in the monthly expenses. I looked at him and said calmly "it's going to happen. By now, you know I go to these events and I'm not about to give them up, so isn't it better that I'm realistic and include it in my monthly plans?" He hesitated, so I tried this tack: "What would you say if (my sis) didn't put in a line for her ****? You'd ask her when the heck she went cold turkey, then tell her to be more realistic - I'm trying to be realistic here!" At which point he acquiesed my point ... and a little voice in the back of my brain began screaming at me in disbelief for comparing going to GABIT events to having a smoking habit (which I do NOT have), but I quietly distracted that voice with chocolate (relatively harmless addiction I do have), and moved along
                  ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                  ames on facebook
                  ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post

I know that you don't mean anything negative by the use of the word frivolous but I just want to make an observational comment. I agree that most cons would fall into that category and the reason I am not going to Dragon Con, for example, is that I can't justify the cost when I am only interested in a small part of the event (basically AT, RD and anyone from Stargate). From my perspective, Gabit events are different because of the charitable aspect. To me it is not a frivolous trip just for my own benefit. Yes, I can give to the charities outside of the event (and I do) but it is much more fun to do it through the auction and the other means they have set up. So it is the charity, the friends and Amanda that combine to make it worthwhile to me. My friends and family always bug me that i don't spend money on myself and it is something that is hard for me to do so with Gabit the tipping point is really the fundraising. And I am not suggesting anything negative about going to cons just for the fun of it. If you can afford it, more power to you! It is just me. I have always had difficulty spending money just for me. some kind of sickness!
                    I have to agree with you on this (oh and also the packing list ) - I don't spend money doing things for me (or very rarely and only because I have to - like a new bed - a necessity ). And I enjoy spending money I could waste on new clothes or whatever and give it to a charity where 99.999% of it goes to a really important need. The fact is Amanda and Jill have my trust and that is why I do it. As for the con, I enjoy them, and talking with Amanda is nice, but I really enjoy the people. They make it from a good con to a blast! So EH-T you get my thumbs up! and total agreement!
                    sigpic

Comment

Exactly. People should do what they can do. and it's a choice that everyone needs to make for themselves.

When I do go to cons, I COULD rack up a few thousand on the credit card buying auction items. but I CHOOSE not to simply because I was raised not to do things like that. I grew up in garage sale clothes and was taught that if you want something you save for it and after you've saved, if you still want it, get it...but take care of it. So I just can't do the auction thing. I get this immediate 'omg, what am I doing????' and I just can't do it. The closest I ever came was at MTM where i was in the 'last man standing' auction for some of the nautical flags they had on the stage....I chickened out just a few seconds too soon. I do regret it because I was the only person in my group that didn't get one. And I could have afforded it but I just can't break decades of training. I wish I'd stayed standing for just a little bit more.

I don't begrudge anyone that can. I say to folks, life is too short, live it. I wish i could just hop on a plane anytime the whim struck me...but I can't even take recreational sick days from work without spending the whole day worrying 'what if someone finds out I'm not really sick?????'

It's just how I'm programmed.

When I went to my first gatecon, I was in a job that paid 12 an hour and i scrimped and saved and ate 89 cent frozen dinners for lunch and dinner and went without a lot of stuff to save up the air fare and other money. had a great time, but I know what it's like to go to an event and have to choose between a souvenir or dinner.

I'm lucky enough now that i'm in a job where I have more money and things aren't quite that tight, but I still just can't let that mindframe go.

sigpic

Comment

I get family members who try to make me feel guilty by going to London for the event coz they simply don't understand what exactly it's about and what we get up to. I get told that it isn't right to go & leave the hubby & kids behind & wouldn't I be better off putting that money towards a family holiday rather than going on my own etc... Thing is, I have asked & even pleaded with hubby to come but he doesn't want to. And that's fine but I'm not getting any younger & the world can't wait for me to be ready when everyone else is ready. I need to do things for me too. I save hard. Sometimes, we don't have the money to pay our bills on time but that's just the logistics of our business...they eventually get paid...but my holiday savings account also has to wait for it's top up so I don't sacrifice bills or the family's needs for the trip. I go to an event here in Australia every year...Armageddon. It's the one thing I always take a couple of days off work for. Even with that event I get made to feel like I'm some sort of selfish mother who puts "star trek" before her kids. *they still don't get it that it's not Star Trek no matter how many times I tell them * Having said that I did just spend a bit of money on a dinner with Amanda at that event ...my mum pitched in the majority otherwise I wouldn't be going...the dinner was just way out of my budget.
                        The Gabit event is a HUGE treat for me. I also make it a family reunion time, visiting family in Germany. And I try to see as much as I can coz god only knows when I'd be able to travel again. AT6 has been in the planning since I came home from AT4. My philosophy is that life is too short...I'm not waiting anymore. Hubby has been really understanding & supportive. The kids have had relo's in their ears so they tend to waver between "go mum, have fun" & "why do you need to go again?". I'm learning to not listen to the negative responses. Of course I don't get all giddy in front of them anymore so that kinda helps
                        One thing I won't ever do though is go into debt for any event...if I can't afford it I can't go. That's just life for ya. ...or rather for me.
                        For me to go all the way back to London for a Gabit event speaks highly about the Gabit team & Amanda but most importantly for me is the people that attend...a gathering of the worlds most generous, warm, welcoming, wonderful people...how could I not go again.
                        "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Trying to live up to other people's expectations is impossible. I live one life - my own. Luckily I don't have to ask anyone for approval, but I realize there are those out there that have other life styles. I enjoy my AT cons - gone to 3 so far. As long as I can afford to go, I will probably keep going. Besides, I have a lot of friends in England now. Would hate not seeing them occasionally!
                          Last edited by llp; 27 August 2011, 05:30 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Trindaje is prepared for the zombie apcalypse, I am prepared for a safari in Heathrow.
                            I think there is a short story by Bradbury," Lions in the bedroom" (?), gotta be prepared, I tell you.

So it is the charity, the friends and Amanda that combine to make it worthwhile to me.
                            A great combination. :-)

My family didn't really get the whole con thing until a few years ago. My mum probably thought it was another one of my insane obsessions. I think at one point she just realised how much the event means to Anke and myself. Especially, because Anke's main reason for going is the event, not Amanda. You can't accuse her of being a fangirl.

Originally posted by MayoGate View Post
                            I'm not offended by the word frivolous, I think in the grand scheme of things conventions are exceptionally frivolous - it's a pure pleasure thing to do/ buy. Unlike food, housing, healthcare and transport.

People should spend their money and time however they see fit though. And life is too short to not pursue things that make YOU happy.

That said, I do get VERY annoyed when people make dozens of posts about how they can't afford their rent/ bills etc and then in the next breath talk about the conventions they're attending. But that's just because my brain informs me they aren't very bright
                            lol

Originally posted by ames View Post
                            I agree - it's an expenditure, and I budget for it.
                            I was recently discussing the new budget with my folks (I'm seriously considering looking into buying a house instead of renting), and my dad questioned my GABIT entry in the monthly expenses. I looked at him and said calmly "it's going to happen. By now, you know I go to these events and I'm not about to give them up, so isn't it better that I'm realistic and include it in my monthly plans?" He hesitated, so I tried this tack: "What would you say if (my sis) didn't put in a line for her ****? You'd ask her when the heck she went cold turkey, then tell her to be more realistic - I'm trying to be realistic here!" At which point he acquiesed my point ... and a little voice in the back of my brain began screaming at me in disbelief for comparing going to GABIT events to having a smoking habit (which I do NOT have), but I quietly distracted that voice with chocolate (relatively harmless addiction I do have), and moved along
                            Wow, Ames as the voice of reason! That's quite a shock. ;-)
                            No explanation needed besides: "It's going to happen. ...I go to these events..." Way to go, girl!

Exactly. People should do what they can do. and it's a choice that everyone needs to make for themselves.

When I do go to cons, I COULD rack up a few thousand on the credit card buying auction items. but I CHOOSE not to simply because I was raised not to do things like that. I grew up in garage sale clothes and was taught that if you want something you save for it and after you've saved, if you still want it, get it...but take care of it. So I just can't do the auction thing. I get this immediate 'omg, what am I doing????' and I just can't do it. The closest I ever came was at MTM where i was in the 'last man standing' auction for some of the nautical flags they had on the stage....I chickened out just a few seconds too soon. I do regret it because I was the only person in my group that didn't get one. And I could have afforded it but I just can't break decades of training. I wish I'd stayed standing for just a little bit more.

I don't begrudge anyone that can. I say to folks, life is too short, live it. I wish i could just hop on a plane anytime the whim struck me...but I can't even take recreational sick days from work without spending the whole day worrying 'what if someone finds out I'm not really sick?????'

It's just how I'm programmed.

When I went to my first gatecon, I was in a job that paid 12 an hour and i scrimped and saved and ate 89 cent frozen dinners for lunch and dinner and went without a lot of stuff to save up the air fare and other money. had a great time, but I know what it's like to go to an event and have to choose between a souvenir or dinner.

I'm lucky enough now that i'm in a job where I have more money and things aren't quite that tight, but I still just can't let that mindframe go.
                            I am with you and Mayo that cons are extremely frivolous.
                            If you can afford it, good for you. I don't really need an excuse to go other than "I want to".
                            If my only problem is that I have to cut my vacation short, then how can I not call any of it frivolous (the vacation plus AT6)?
                            I only need to figure out how to get from somewhere in the middle of Kruger National Park to Johannisburg. Either by rental car or by plane. I have to worry about *how* I do that not how to *afford* it. Thus I consider myself extremely lucky.
                            Especially because the extra cost for this could probably feed an entire family in one of the townships for a month.

Oh, yeah, before I forget; I pay off my entire credit card bill once a month, there is no "pay it off sometime in the distant future" in my household.

Originally posted by XFchemist View Post
                            AT5 was my first con ever! Probably for this reason I'm really waiting for AT6, and from twitter I know that there're many new people who wanna meet AT for the first time in their lives. Yeah it's not a cheap w-e, but I wanna repeat this experience!
                            Alright! You know what my favorite part about the con is? It's watching those that meet AT for the first time in the photo session. The way they practically float a foot above the ground, they don't hear you, they don't see you, they just float out the door...and then you have to chase them to return their backpack to them.
                            Some are in tears but with a smile on their face.

I love that!

Comment

I do that too. I don't carry a balance. What I put on in June I pay in July. The only times I've carried a balance was when I bought my computers and they had a '90 days same as cash' thing going on. So I paid it off in the 90 days sorta
                              like in installments.

I sometimes have control issues. Wouldn't be a size 14 if I didn't. One little splurge and it'll be easier to make another and then another and things spiral out of control. So I just don't.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Horse View Post

Alright! You know what my favorite part about the con is? It's watching those that meet AT for the first time in the photo session. The way they practically float a foot above the ground, they don't hear you, they don't see you, they just float out the door...and then you have to chase them to return their backpack to them.
                                Some are in tears but with a smile on their face.

I love that!
                                I was exactly like that!
                                sigpic
                                My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Working...
                                X