GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
    Breaking weather news: A group of fans attending a convention at the Renaissance hotel, descended upon the airport armed with shovels. A number of them were from Canada and the northern US. When interviewed, they stated they always travel in the winter months with folding shovels.
    Erm ... I actually have one in my trunk (boot) right now. That's not *that* unusual, right? *looks hopeful*

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
    Yes. Sky must be there.
    Well presumably there will be *a* sky there, whether it is *the* Sky or not is another matter!

On the topic of weather ... had quite an interesting night tonight.
    After the umpteenth mini-power-outage, our head of EHSS rung in to ask us to review the tornado procedures, as the entire county was under watch for a goodly portion of the night. (The lightning show at lunch - which starts at 9pm for us - was very intense indeed! The smokers who ventured out said it was unreal over on their side of the building. One coworker was speaking with her bf who said a lightning strike had hit right in front of him while he was driving home; many had children and spouses on the phone assuring them they were in the basement, had all the pets and spare water just in case, etc.)
    Apparently there were a couple of tornado sightings in Ontario tonight, although my hometown appears to have been spared again ... driving home was a bit of a slalom though, around downed trees and all sorts of stuff blown everywhere. I passed a crew out (at 2:30am!) clearing power lines. We have some branches on the driveway here, but nothing major that I could see as I came in, which made for a nice surprise.
    ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
    ames on facebook
    ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

I sincerely doubt I'll be there. It's just too expensive for me.

but I think Cel should go in my place
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post

*puts on a low growl* Don't even think about it...
        We'll wait and see. The Grey Cup is Canada's national party (some call it the national drunk) and the 100th anniversary will be special so have to go if I can. However, I expect it will be tough to get a ticket. As for the girls' weekend, who knows? We haven't even been able to schedule a weekend here this summer! I will try for an AT ticket in January and then we'll see how things work out. Maybe if I work 8 days a week instead of seven leading up to Nov 2012 then i will be all caught up and can take most of Nov off....oh, wait...let me do the math...

[QUOTE]
        Originally posted by rderoch View Post
        Breaking weather news: A group of fans attending a convention at the Renaissance hotel, descended upon the airport armed with shovels. A number of them were from Canada and the northern US. When interviewed, they stated they always travel in the winter months with folding shovels.

LOL!

I don't think she that includes you, dear.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

We will miss you! Here's hoping there is a TSE in 2013!

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

TSE would be far more likely. In fact a friend Nd I were talking how, instead of seeing the same sights in Vancouver that we do. 3-4 day road trip from the Midwest to Vancouver.

If money wasn't an issue along with other things like airports etc I'd be there in a heartbeat. Just kinda difficult to arrange with other issues I've got going on. Vancouver is just easier for me.

sigpic

Comment

TSE would be far more likely. In fact a friend Nd I were talking how, instead of seeing the same sights in Vancouver that we do. 3-4 day road trip from the Midwest to Vancouver.

If money wasn't an issue along with other things like airports etc I'd be there in a heartbeat. Just kinda difficult to arrange with other issues I've got going on. Vancouver is just easier for me.
            Road trip!

Yes, as we have discussed before, there is no perfect location for everyone. AT events are great for those in the UK or Europe, TSE is better for us in North America. Then there are the Aussies and Kiwis (or those in SA) who are pretty far from everything. Although at least the Aussies and Kiwis are getting their own events with AT and others from Sanctuary.

One thing that is in favour of me going to AT6 is that i do wonder how long these events will keep going. Eventually there will come a time when they will end (be it fatigue from the G4 or Amanda or lack of interest or money from the fans) and I would hate to have missed my last chance to go.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
              Road trip!

Yes, as we have discussed before, there is no perfect location for everyone. AT events are great for those in the UK or Europe, TSE is better for us in North America. Then there are the Aussies and Kiwis (or those in SA) who are pretty far from everything. Although at least the Aussies and Kiwis are getting their own events with AT and others from Sanctuary.

One thing that is in favour of me going to AT6 is that i do wonder how long these events will keep going. Eventually there will come a time when they will end (be it fatigue from the G4 or Amanda or lack of interest or money from the fans) and I would hate to have missed my last chance to go.
              Oh you ended your note on such a sad chord....lack of interest from the fans, how sad. I like going to the AT events because it's like a big party full of friends. It would sadden me for that to end. Now as for G4 fatigue, I can understand that - which is why they are spreading it out some (in my opinion). But Amanda has a spirit within her that would want her to continue as long as she could....she is the most people giving person I have ever had the privelege to know. Plus her S4K foundation is extremely important to her. I would say if anything, AT might not have the time as she goes into more of a "producer/director/boss person" mode which would be a real shame.
              sigpic

Comment

I have realised I am going to be very busy in Nov 2012. AT6, girls' weekend and it will be the 100th Grey Cup (Canadian Football Championship). As it is a special year I had planned to attend. Better check the dates for that. Probably too much to ask for that it be the week after AT6, that way I could go to AT6, stay in London for the week after and then just stay in Toronto for the Grey Cup on the way back (since I have to fly through Toronto anyway). Off to check dates...
                My packing list for AT6:
                1 pair of hiking boots
                2 pairs of khaki shorts
                T-shirts
                hat
                socks, undies etc.
                bathing costume
                flip-flops
                camera
                binoculars
                swiss army knife
                flashlight with backup flashlight
                1 pair of jeans
                2 Gabit stewards T-shirts

reading material:
                A field guide to Fynbos
                Out of Africa (just because)

assorted lifesaving junk:
                vaccination record (Hep A, Diphteria, Tetanus - check, check, check)
                malaria prophylaxis

That should do it.

AT5 clashes with my South Africa trip. Luckily it's at the very end of the trip so I just need to cut the trip short and fly to London.
                We'll figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
                  Oh you ended your note on such a sad chord....lack of interest from the fans, how sad. I like going to the AT events because it's like a big party full of friends. It would sadden me for that to end. Now as for G4 fatigue, I can understand that - which is why they are spreading it out some (in my opinion). But Amanda has a spirit within her that would want her to continue as long as she could....she is the most people giving person I have ever had the privelege to know. Plus her S4K foundation is extremely important to her. I would say if anything, AT might not have the time as she goes into more of a "producer/director/boss person" mode which would be a real shame.
                  Not meaning to depress anyone.

Maybe it is the way Stargate cons are going that has me thinking that way. From everything I have heard or read, numbers are dwindling. On the other hand, there are other elements to Gabit events that don't seem to be present or are not present to the same degree with other cons. One, as you mentioned, is the ability to see friends again. Another, is the tremendous fundraising for charitable causes. Those things, as much as AT, keep us going back. However, beyond our core group, I could see that there would be fans who may be fans of AT and Sanctuary but would be less inclined to go to an event if she was not starring in a current TV show. I know of a couple of people who have likely been to their last event because of health reasons. Cost is a consideration for many, so even if the interest is there, the means may not.

Wow, I am depressing, aren't I? Quick, someone post a happy memory!

Comment

Maybe it is the way Stargate cons are going that has me thinking that way. From everything I have heard or read, numbers are dwindling. On the other hand, there are other elements to Gabit events that don't seem to be present or are not present to the same degree with other cons. One, as you mentioned, is the ability to see friends again. Another, is the tremendous fundraising for charitable causes. Those things, as much as AT, keep us going back. However, beyond our core group, I could see that there would be fans who may be fans of AT and Sanctuary but would be less inclined to go to an event if she was not starring in a current TV show. I know of a couple of people who have likely been to their last event because of health reasons. Cost is a consideration for many, so even if the interest is there, the means may not.

Happy to oblige..............

Comment

Not depressing. Just a realist. I plan on buying a ticket when they go on sale. Whether or not I will still be able to go in a year is contingent on a number of things, including the fact that airfare from where I'm moving to is more than double what it is from NYC. But here's hoping.
                      sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

A very sad replacement if I must say. Still thinking and considering going yet and I do have 4-5 months to decide.

Yup. Feel the same way. I wish they would have mixed it up for the variety and had AT6 in Vancouver. Hehe. Make some heads spin.

I picked up a second job (working 65+ hours a week now) for the experience, but mainly for the extra padding in my savings account for any trips I might take in the future. And just because. I like the sense of security it gives.

Cost is definitely a consideration for many. Tickets are definitely not cheap and with the economy being so sluggish lately, job decline, etc.. many people are reconsidering what they spend their hard earned dollars on. I'd still love to go to AT6 to see a few friends I miss, but I need to think if spending so much is worth it when I could do a weekend somewhere closer to home at a later time.

I *was* orginally making plans for France and elsewhere for AT6 so if I decide not to go, I might be able to swing a weekend in London around the same time and just swing by the Ren one day to hang out and see my peeps. Like I said, still pondering what to do. Nothing definitely decided yet.

Comment

Cost is a massive reason England is hard. With the exchange rate the tickets are 400 dollars each. The hotel 200 a night. Every meal 20-40 dollars. Then add in air fare almost doubling and it's 2000 - 4000 for the weekend.

I think that's one big reason cons are dwindling. Yes, some fatigue, but also the economy is just too uncertain to spend that much money on something so frivolous. People have had to make some very hard decisions. Tickets to a con can be several tanks of gas.

sigpic

Comment

Personally, I'm going to be a deliberate unrealist right now, I think. The decision point is far enough in the future that I'm going to follow one of my two basic Rules for Life: Don't cross bridges before you come to them. Even if I make the decision right now, I'm still not going to get to that particular bridge for awhile. So count me in as an excited prospective attendee! (I might even be at grad school in England by that time, who knows?)

(Rule number two, for those who enjoy chuckling at my worldview: "Don't burn your bridges unless there's something chasing you." The method for implementing these two rules is pretty simple. Make 4 plans. Plan A = best-case scenario. Plan B = Most likely case. Plan C = Worst-case scenario. Plan D = Zombie Apocalypse. I laughed so hard during the Sanctuary episode when Druitt said, "So much for plans A through E" because I'm certain they actually had that many contingency plans and that's my favorite kind of planning... Also? When you put Zombie Apocalypse in the mix, the worst-case scenario often stops being quite so scary, thus making it easier to think clearly about how to plan for it. For practical intents and purposes, Zombie Apocalypse also includes earthquake, hurricane, volcano, terrorist attack or whatever massive emergency you want to include. But Zombies make me giggle, so I go with those because I plan better when I'm giggling.)

Comment

Originally posted by Trindajae View Post
                              Personally, I'm going to be a deliberate unrealist right now, I think. The decision point is far enough in the future that I'm going to follow one of my two basic Rules for Life: Don't cross bridges before you come to them. Even if I make the decision right now, I'm still not going to get to that particular bridge for awhile. So count me in as an excited prospective attendee! (I might even be at grad school in England by that time, who knows?)

(Rule number two, for those who enjoy chuckling at my worldview: "Don't burn your bridges unless there's something chasing you." The method for implementing these two rules is pretty simple. Make 4 plans. Plan A = best-case scenario. Plan B = Most likely case. Plan C = Worst-case scenario. Plan D = Zombie Apocalypse. I laughed so hard during the Sanctuary episode when Druitt said, "So much for plans A through E" because I'm certain they actually had that many contingency plans and that's my favorite kind of planning... Also? When you put Zombie Apocalypse in the mix, the worst-case scenario often stops being quite so scary, thus making it easier to think clearly about how to plan for it. For practical intents and purposes, Zombie Apocalypse also includes earthquake, hurricane, volcano, terrorist attack or whatever massive emergency you want to include. But Zombies make me giggle, so I go with those because I plan better when I'm giggling.)
                              Sounds like reasonable plans to me. I have no idea where or what I'll be in 2012 let alone the end of the year. I would like to go and that is enough for now....so like Trin .... count me in!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
                                AT doesn't strike me as a person who would be slowed down by her work with S4K or her career. But she is after all human so maybe she might spread her events out a bit...that I don't mind at all. I aim to attend AT8 after AT6 is done...that is my long term goal. No pressure G4.
                                Originally posted by Jumble View Post
                                Nice Jumble!!
                                I think that there are always new faces at the cons & would be very surprised if fan numbers dropped off...Amnada did say she would do them as long as the fans wanted her...I don't think that's likely to ever change. JMHO.
                                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Working...
                                X