• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
    It's a possibility, though I haven't started fist bumping yet. :-p
    Move to the Ghetto Suburbs

Probably best if you don't, actually...

Comment

I was more shocked at the moronic assumption by Mollizi that JOHN SHEPPARD the military leader of Atlantis would not know who the team was!

Number 1) I think John would have had to have a meeting as to why the team was sent to the planet, tell them what they need to look for before he/Woosely would approve the mission that the team was being sent on.

Number 2) McKay is known for forgetting peoples names (i am bad myself at names) Not the leader of the military personnel part of the expedition. I am pretty sure you meet the new troupes when they show up and give them the tour "Sir! Yes Sir!"

I rolled my eyes when the fist bump happened "Wow they are so hot" but who cares about the whole Fraternizing with lower class men stuff, he's their boss he shouldn't be checking them out.

Yeah I know, look but don't touch and all that!
      Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatLordGeorge View Post
        1)I didnt think it was out of character, not at all, sure Carson can be a bit timid at times around women but there are a handful of times where Carson makes remarks like the fist bump. The last scene in rising comes to mind.

2) i didnt find it ungentlemanly at all to be perfectly honest
        Agreed.
        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

When the all-girls team first turned their back on John and Carson after first introductions, they touched knuckles, the manly "Alright!"-gesture.

What the hell were the writers trying to portray? "Oh yeah! All ladies! We're gonna score tonight!" or something?! I mean, what was up with that?! Why was it necessary? What could it possibly mean other than "Score!"/"Yay!"/"Alright!"?

Whee, a guy's dream, 4 girls. Two each or something.

And then by the end there, I got this whole "I'm the man, so I'll have none of you women stepping in and getting in my way!"-vibe when John, after coming up with that plan which had many holes and then decided to activate the tablet before setting the charge, ordered "the girls" not to leave their positions no matter what.

Who wrote this episode, the men behind "Irresistible" and "Irresponsible"?!

Comment

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=58795

Same annoyances are brought up here.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
              The men who wrote Irresponsible, sure, although this was mostly JM. Irresistible, though, was written by Carl Binder, from a story by BW and RCC.

Comment

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=58795

Same annoyances are brought up here.
                Ouh, I didn't notice it. My apologies.

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
                The men who wrote Irresponsible, sure, although this was mostly JM. Irresistible, though, was written by Carl Binder, from a story by BW and RCC.
                This explains everything.

Comment

Copy paste:
                  When the all-girls team first turned their back on John and Carson after first introductions, they touched knuckles, the manly "Alright!"-gesture.

What the hell were the writers trying to portray? "Oh yeah! All ladies! We're gonna score tonight!" or something?! I mean, what was up with that?! Why was it necessary? What could it possibly mean other than "Score!"/"Yay!"/"Alright!"?

Whee, a guy's dream, 4 girls. Two each or something.

And then by the end there, I got this whole "I'm the man, so I'll have none of you women stepping in and getting in my way!"-vibe when John, after coming up with that plan which had many holes and then decided to activate the tablet before setting the charge, ordered "the girls" not to leave their positions no matter what.

I mean, it was not a necessary thing to write in. These are men who are supposedly 40. We know that the writers want to attract younger viewers but at what cost? OOT and immature behavior?!

I mean, what did it bring to the episode other than showing us a man who's acting way too immature and sexist for his age? I thought we'd gotten past that, but no siree. That fist bump lowered my enjoyment of the episode considerably. It's almost like "Travelers" all over again.

Well it depends on the level, like I said, a lot of my male colleagues are really degrading to the females on my squadron and it's just not on, they'd do a similar thing. It's not sexist, but they ARE objectifying their female colleagues. And sometimes, depending on the level, it's just plain rude.
                  Umm... that is sexist. The fact that it's deeply ingrained into the various international military branches of the world does not make it any less sexist.

Comment

It was not written into the script. It was an adlib JF and PM. How about someone ask them about it when they are a convention?

Comment

Originally posted by Becky S. View Post
                      It was not written into the script. It was an adlib JF and PM. How about someone ask them about it when they are a convention?
                      It was? You know this because you've read the script in its entirety or someone (official source) has stated this?

Whoopity-doo. No hating on Joe Malozzi then, just on Joe Flanigan and Paul McGillion, then, I guess. Either way, it was very immature, sexist and foremost, unnecessary.

They should've cut it in post. But since no one in post production or the director apparently found it objectionable, it stayed. This is why the shows needs a more diversified staff.

Currently, the staff consists of mostly white middle-agish heterosexual men. It's no surprise they didn't find it offensive since it's a boy's club and they're all boys at heart. Not a single female (that I know of) in a high ranking position on the set to tell them "Wait, that should go".

I mean, the footage went through several people in post and none of them found it objectionable and thought to bring it up to the PTB? Or they did and the PTB just dismissed them with a "meh"?

This is also why the females on the show are either just like any males on the show just female or "extremely female" (damsel in distress, girl-out-to-prove-herself, strong sexy kick-ass fighter girl or just badly written female characters).

Comment

From the September 6th blog of Joe Mallozzi: "Joe and Paul had a lot of fun with their walk and talk and subsequent meeting with the all-female team, adlibbing the fist bump at the end of this scene."

Joe M broke down the whole episode in two blog entries - Sept. 6th and 7th. I personally, didn't have a problem with it. I can understand where other people could/did have a problem with it. All I am suggesting is that someone ask either Joe or Pauk at a con why they did it. Yes, they could have edited it out. They choose not too. For that "why not?" question you would have to ask the director or producers.

Comment

Originally posted by Becky S. View Post
                          From the September 6th blog of Joe Mallozzi: "Joe and Paul had a lot of fun with their walk and talk and subsequent meeting with the all-female team, adlibbing the fist bump at the end of this scene."

Joe M broke down the whole episode in two blog entries - Sept. 6th and 7th. I personally, didn't have a problem with it. I can understand where other people could/did have a problem with it. All I am suggesting is that someone ask either Joe or Pauk at a con why they did it. Yes, they could have edited it out. They choose not too. For that "why not?" question you would have to ask the director or producers.
                          My point is that a lot of people find these kind of things offensive. Not only is it immature and sexist, it's also OoT, especially for Carson.

My point is also that this just, once again, proves that there aren't enough women on the staff. No one in the chain of command thought it objectionable enough to cut. Oh, it's a guy thing. Obviously no one's gonna find it offensive, no, no.

It becomes, yet again, glaring obvious that the show lacks diversity within its higher-up staff.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                            That particular gesture means "we're so lame that we don't stand a chance in hell".

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
                              That particular gesture means "we're so lame that we don't stand a chance in hell".
                              Oh yeah, weren't some of them almost half their ages?

Comment

Dusty-whatever probably was, the others were probably pretty close.

Comment

Working...
                                X