Ronon pulling Mckay's leg at the end.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black Panther View Post
    Carl Binder just did an interview on JM's blog about Tracker. He has answered some questions dealing with this particular subject.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...cenes-snippet/

Ive never felt that Ronon was great friends with Rodney but felt there was a great deal of respect there. However I did find some of the banter harsh and unnecessary towards Rodney and wondered where the respect had gone. Was there a concious decision to portray there banter this way or am i missing something here?”

Answer: There is respect between them. But they are two completely different personalities. Ronon has an abrupt, in your face quality. So if someone is slowing him down while he’s pursuing the man who’s kidnapped someone dear to him, he’s going to let him know. I did not intend for it to be unnecessarily harsh, just Ronon being Ronon.

Michelle writes: “Is Ronon really interested in Keller, or is he pulling Rodney’s chain?”

Answer: Or perhaps he thinks this won’t be much of a competition.

From my own interpretation of the scene coupled with Carl's answers I have to say Ronon was genuine and wasn't pulling Rodney's leg.
    See now, that I don't like because to me that shows a great deal of arrogance from Ronon and I never felt that he would be a smarmy guit over a girl. confident, yes, totaly, but to smirk over the geek thats, no just not liking that idea

which ever way this goes the one thing i was counting on was that all three characters would be teated with respect by the writers and not changed to fit the triangle. ill have to wait and see of that happens.
    sigpic
    banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

Originally posted by Lenas View Post
      Well said, exactly the way I see it.

And as for that interview with CB - of course he have to answer like that - to keep this "love triangle" alive. Naturally he can't reveal the outcome, to make the viewers lose interest.
      Wich they already have by the way, the so called love triangel is just stupid and embarrassing
      First, Ronon and Rodney are not friends. In fact judging by how they treat each other they only have a minimum amount of respect for each other. For this scenario to work Ronon would actually have to care about and approve of Rodney's interest in Jennifer.

Secondly, for there to be a "love triangle" there will have to be two people interested in the same person. If one of the two isn't truly interested then there is no "love triangle".

stclare I don't like it either, but I disagree about it changing Ronon. Just look at the scenario coupled with what we know about their relationship. We have two arrogant men from opposite sides of the spectrum, who only respect each other for their abilities and that they are on the same team, and who are now competing for the same woman. We already know Ronon likes to intimidate Rodney and thinks he is weak. The same way Rodney likes to insult Ronon and thinks he is stupid. So this is well within Ronon's character.

Comment

First, Ronon and Rodney are not friends. In fact judging by how they treat each other they only have a minimum amount of respect for each other. For this scenario to work Ronon would actually have to care about and approve of Rodney's interest in Jennifer.

Secondly, for there to be a "love triangle" there will have to be two people interested in the same person. If one of the two isn't truly interested then there is no "love triangle".

stclare I don't like it either, but I disagree about it changing Ronon. Just look at the scenario coupled with what we know about their relationship. We have two arrogant men from opposite sides of the spectrum, who only respect each other for their abilities and that they are on the same team, and who are now competing for the same woman. We already know Ronon likes to intimidate Rodney and thinks he is weak. The same way Rodney likes to insult Ronon and thinks he is stupid. So this is well within Ronon's character.

I guess I just dont like to see it so obvious i didnt see rodney act arrogant over his feelings for Keller, he was more subdued at the end. subdued rodney not on my top list of things to see. i wonder if its there way to make him more mature....ponders
        sigpic
        banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

Originally posted by stclare View Post
          I guess I just dont like to see it so obvious i didnt see rodney act arrogant over his feelings for Keller, he was more subdued at the end. subdued rodney not on my top list of things to see. i wonder if its there way to make him more mature....ponders
          I know what you mean. As I was typing it I couldn't help but think that sounds harsh! Sadly it is true. As for Rodney I get the feeling his poor record with women doesn't leave much room for him to feel confident much less arrogant. It was heartbreaking to see his face when faced with Ronon's arrogance. The fact that he was mature enough to confront Ronon and wants to let Jennifer decide is a testament to his maturity. Also since he is rarely mature when dealing with women it shows he genuinely likes Jennifer. Thus it is a point for the McKeller ship.
          Last edited by Black Panther; 25 September 2008, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
            Not a joke necessarily, but we have seen that Ronon and Rodney have an interesting relationship.

Personally, I haven't seen anything depicted on SGA that would lead me to believe that Ronon has an equal or greater depth of feeling for Jennifer than Rodney does. Rodney loves her for crying out loud.

And while I'm not claiming that Ronon isn't at all attracted to her, he could very well be playing up his "intentions" for her because he sees how uncomfortable Rodney is with the situation. After all, he really only said, "maybe". Not even a yes. And his tone was far too....playful is the only way I can think to phrase it...throughout that entire scene.

We've never seen Ronon played that way, which is why I find it interesting that the director and Momoa chose to lpay him like that this time around in this particular scene.
            the only thing mckay is inlove with is himself! the man is a total jerk around women... shall we remember how he always treated Sam? the way he was with poor Katie In quarantine? and complaining because he never got captured by "the hot alien chicks"? I will reiterate...HE ONLY LOVES HIMSELF!!!!!
            our Jenn is a smart girl and has figured that out and so has Ronon. I predict it will be Jennifer and Ronon. He was not teasing, just being confident!
            Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
            "twice the man" in only half the body ? bummer, that sure isn't gonna work out http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/im...o/skylight.gif

but it's ok - clearly you're rooting for mckay, so in deference to your admiration for him, I'll spare the Rod -_-
            LOL I loved your comments but can only green you once so more mental green!

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
              I am seriously hoping that's how TPTB meant it.
              I'm not so sure. I think he does have feelings but maybe not as much as Rodney does.

But who knew our Rodney was so take charge? That entire last scene was Rodney confronting Ronon. Awesome!
              Agreed that was really cool seeing him take charge like that.
              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
                LOL I loved your comments but can only green you once so more mental green!
                hey thanks lass

let's get married

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
                  hey thanks lass

let's get married
                  I'd love to laddie, but I need to ask my hubby first! I always appreciate wit and you have plenty.

Comment

Carl Binder just did an interview on JM's blog about Tracker. He has answered some questions dealing with this particular subject.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...cenes-snippet/

Ive never felt that Ronon was great friends with Rodney but felt there was a great deal of respect there. However I did find some of the banter harsh and unnecessary towards Rodney and wondered where the respect had gone. Was there a concious decision to portray there banter this way or am i missing something here?”

Answer: There is respect between them. But they are two completely different personalities. Ronon has an abrupt, in your face quality. So if someone is slowing him down while he’s pursuing the man who’s kidnapped someone dear to him, he’s going to let him know. I did not intend for it to be unnecessarily harsh, just Ronon being Ronon.

Michelle writes: “Is Ronon really interested in Keller, or is he pulling Rodney’s chain?”

Answer: Or perhaps he thinks this won’t be much of a competition.

From my own interpretation of the scene coupled with Carl's answers I have to say Ronon was genuine and wasn't pulling Rodney's leg.
                    Carl Binder's response to that question is disappointing, but not surprising, given how little these writers seem to know these characters or care about consistent, logical characterization. His response is unfortunate because it totally negates the events of several episodes where we've seen Ronon's regard for Rodney, including The Shrine where Ronon was willing to take on a Wraith filled planet for Rodney's sake.

According to Carl, all of that is out the window because we're now supposed to believe that Ronon is so contemptuous of Rodney that he'll act like a total asswipe because he's confident that Rodney's no competition. Well, I'm not buying it, especally when I've seen no interest on Ronon's part for Keller since Quarantine - where he was written so out of character in order to force him with Keller that it was painful to watch.

Also, since when did Ronon become the kind of guy who would find it amusing to compete for a woman? I've never seen any indication that he views women as trophies to be won.

Crappy, plot-driven writing like this is what is making it easier for me to let SGA go. If this is what I can expect for the last episodes, then I may not even bother with the movie, especially if there is any possibility that this character-damaging triangle will be included.
                    Last edited by maxbo; 26 September 2008, 12:55 PM.
                    sigpic
                    Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
                      Carl Binder's response to that question is disappointing, but not surprising, given how little these writers seem to know these characters or care about consistent, logical characterization. His response is unfortunate because it totally negates the events of several episodes where we've seen Ronon's regard for Rodney, including The Shrine where Ronon was willing to take on a Wraith filled planet for Rodney's sake.

According to Carl, all of that is out the window because we're now supposed to believe that Ronon is so contemptuous of Rodney that he'll act like a total asswipe because he's confident that Rodney's no competition. Well, I'm not buying it, especally when I've seen no interest on Ronon's part for Keller since Quarantine - where he was written so out of character in order to force him with Keller that it was painful to watch.

Also, since when did Ronon become the kind of guy who would find it amusing to compete for a woman? I've never seen any indication that he views women as trophies to be won.

Crappy, plot-driven writing like this is what is making it easier for me to let SGA go. If this is what I can expect for the last episodes, then I may not even bother with the movie, especially if there is any possibility that this character-damaging triangle will be included.
                      Personally the only aspect I see this scene dealing with Ronon and Jennifer's relationship is that it confirms Ronon has intentions. The rest strictly deals with how Ronon views Rodney. So this isn't about Jennifer being a prize, but how Ronon doesn't think highly of Rodney.

Ronon and Rodney's relationship has never been written consistantly. On one hand we have moments like you mentioned where I could swear that there is a friendship there. Then we get moments were Rodney is insulting Ronon or Ronon deliberately intimidates Rodney and/or cruelly teases him. It is due to those moments that this scene isn't out of character. The problem is that those moments just don't mix well with their heart touching moments. Ronon and Rodney have a dysfunctional relationship. This scene isn't the only one to show this it is just more in your face about it.

By the way, Quarantine wasn't the only other ep to show Ronon's feelings for Jen it was just more obvious in that ep. Which is the way our PTB work. Once they establish there is a shared romantic interest between two characters that relationship is put in the background and only touched upon occasionally. The only reason they probably focused on Rodney and Jen recently is so they could develop their relationship to have this triangle.

Comment

I loved the scene with Ronan and Rodney in the gym. With Ronan first saying he doesn't have any interest in Dr. Keller...then he does...like he was toying with McKey...I kept thinking.....why does this seem familiar....then it hit me....STAR WARS! Same thing....except I liked this one better....Ronan just kept grinning at Mckay...he was truly enjoying messing with him. Don't really know if he truly has any intentions for Dr. Keller but god it was fun watching him mess with McKay's head!!

Comment

Personally the only aspect I see this scene dealing with Ronon and Jennifer's relationship is that it confirms Ronon has intentions. The rest strictly deals with how Ronon views Rodney. So this isn't about Jennifer being a prize, but how Ronon doesn't think highly of Rodney.
                          The bolded parts are why this "triangle" didn't work for me because they are not supported by fact. I've seen no indication that Ronon is interested in Keller - before or after Quarantine, yet we're now supposed to believe that he's been harboring "feelings" for her just because TPTB decided that they wanted a triangle.

That's horrible storytelling because it relies too much on twisting characters to suit the purpose and it relies too much on "telling" rather than "showing". This type of storytelling doesn't work for me because I'm not going to forget what I've seen over the years just because TPTB tells me to.

I also don't believe that Ronon doesn't think highly of Rodney - again TPTB are "telling" us where they want this storyline to go instead of building on canon.

Ronon and Rodney's relationship has never been written consistantly. On one hand we have moments like you mentioned where I could swear that there is a friendship there. Then we get moments were Rodney is insulting Ronon or Ronon deliberately intimidates Rodney and/or cruelly teases him. It is due to those moments that this scene isn't out of character. The problem is that those moments just don't mix well with their heart touching moments. Ronon and Rodney have a dysfunctional relationship. This scene isn't the only one to show this it is just more in your face about it.
                          I agree that Ronon and Rodney have an interesting relationship where they are more likely to insult each other than grudgingly compliment each other, however, I've never seen any proof that they despise each other. Apparently, you disagree, which is why your interpretation of that scene so different from mine.

By the way, Quarantine wasn't the only other ep to show Ronon's feelings for Jen it was just more obvious in that ep. Which is the way our PTB work. Once they establish there is a shared romantic interest between two characters that relationship is put in the background and only touched upon occasionally. The only reason they probably focused on Rodney and Jen recently is so they could develop their relationship to have this triangle.
                          That's news to me. What other episode did Ronon supposedly show his feelings for Jennifer? I've seen every episode (before Tracker) and I've never seen anything that supports this. That's why that scene in Quarantine was so jarring.

In contrast, I've seen a lot of scenes supporting those who ship other pairings, even though I don't ship any Stargate characters
                          sigpic
                          Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post

That's news to me. What other episode did Ronon supposedly show his feelings for Jennifer? I've seen every episode (before Tracker) and I've never seen anything that supports this. That's why that scene in Quarantine was so jarring.

In contrast, I've seen a lot of scenes supporting those who ship other pairings, even though I don't ship any Stargate characters
                            I saw it in Tabula Rasa and Doppleganger, but then I have my "shippy" glasses on, You obviously don't see it the same way I do so you won't see those eps the same way I do.

Comment

I hate the triangle, but between the most recent episode and interviews it seems to be very real. I think Momoa did a very poor job in the gym scene btw, because his whole demeanor was more playful than serious, which just doesn't mesh with him seriously loving Keller. Even if he had done a good job, I still dislike this entire angle. Joe/Shepp is anti-ship and so am I. I didn't even want the Jack/Sam thing to eat screen time and in their case BOTH have expressed deep emotion for each other.
                              sigpic
                              "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                              ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
                                I saw it in Tabula Rasa and Doppleganger, but then I have my "shippy" glasses on, You obviously don't see it the same way I do so you won't see those eps the same way I do.
                                Ahh, the shippy glasses, you're right I don't have those. So, with shippy glasses there was something between Ronon and Keller in Tabula Rasa - and I just realized that I also heard there was something between Rodney and Keller too. However, without the glasses, I missed it all and that's the way I liked it. Too bad TPTB decided to abandon eye-of-the-beholder ship because when they try to write ship, IMO, it's never good, which is why I'm dreading this triangle.

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
                                I hate the triangle, but between the most recent episode and interviews it seems to be very real. I think Momoa did a very poor job in the gym scene btw, because his whole demeanor was more playful than serious, which just doesn't mesh with him seriously loving Keller. Even if he had done a good job, I still dislike this entire angle. Joe/Shepp is anti-ship and so am I. I didn't even want the Jack/Sam thing to eat screen time and in their case BOTH have expressed deep emotion for each other.
                                I hate the triangle too and agree that based on the interviews it's suppose to exist, however, it's being handled every bit as badly as I feared. These writers do not understand how to write romance in an intelligent, adult, interesting way, but for some reason they seem believe they should keep trying.

I disagree that Jason Momoa did a bad job because according to Carl Binder that scene in Tracker played out exactly the way he wanted it to. Hence, my rant earlier about how I hate it when the writers show such a profound lack of understanding of their characters.

Based on what I've seen of Ronon over the years, the grinning, teasing Ronon in that scene is not a man who is serious about Keller, yet according to Binder, he is. I think they believe it would be funny to have Ronon taunting Rodney, just so we can see Rodney's poor, whobbie face over and over again. To hell with keeping Ronon in character - this is funnier, according to them.

Just when I thought this triangle couldn't get more ridiculous, TPTB prove me wrong.
                                sigpic
                                Sig by Luciana

Comment

Working...
                                X