Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did I Just See Weir In The Commercial For Season 5?!?!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just remembered this, on the season 5 premeire there was a commercial for pizza, anyway there was this little girl, what was funny was that she had a mustache she couldn't be more than 10, it made me laugh, just thought I would spread the laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
      It wouldn't make any sense to do that. To randomly switch actresses after 4 years. It rarely works when shows try and switch actors/actresses in a role and Torri and Jessica look nothing alike and it just wouldn't work on so many levels. Doing that certainly wouldn't be what I would call a "decent" way to conclude the arc.
      so it makes no sense to replace an actress who has left if the character is integral to a plotline?

so what if they don't look alike... if anything, they could bring Jessica back, keep her on for 2 more seasons, and then say that she's the definitive Elizabeth Weir, not TH...

plus, i liked Jessica's portrayal of Weir a helluva lot more than TH... TH was never able to convince me that she was a high-level intra-governmental negotiator... someone who's done what EW has done would be far more self-confident than TH's EW was...
      Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
      Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
      Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
      Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
        so it makes no sense to replace an actress who has left if the character is integral to a plotline?

so what if they don't look alike... if anything, they could bring Jessica back, keep her on for 2 more seasons, and then say that she's the definitive Elizabeth Weir, not TH...

plus, i liked Jessica's portrayal of Weir a helluva lot more than TH... TH was never able to convince me that she was a high-level intra-governmental negotiator... someone who's done what EW has done would be far more self-confident than TH's EW was...
        If an actor leaves a series, no matter the circumstances, or is not available to wrap up a storyline then they have to find a way around that, it's as simple as that. It's rare that a show chooses to keep the character and replace the actor and expect the viewers to ignore the change - and there's a reason for that. It doesn't really work, it requires too much suspension of disbelief.

Jessica only played Weir in a couple of episodes in SG1 and SGA started off as a new show with a new Weir who made the role her own over the course of 3+ years. To turn around after that time and go back to the start with the original actress would just be too big a change - it would be like ignoring everything that had happened in the past 3+ years. It would be like Devlin's proposal to make a sequel to the Stargate movie that ignored the 10 years of development in SG1 since the original spin-off - the fans just felt it would be a complete mis-step.

If you're gonna have the character played by a different actress, you might as well have it be a brand new actress rather than go back to one who breifly played the role years ago.
        sigpic

Comment

If an actor leaves a series, no matter the circumstances, or is not available to wrap up a storyline then they have to find a way around that, it's as simple as that. It's rare that a show chooses to keep the character and replace the actor and expect the viewers to ignore the change - and there's a reason for that. It doesn't really work, it requires too much suspension of disbelief.

Jessica only played Weir in a couple of episodes in SG1 and SGA started off as a new show with a new Weir who made the role her own over the course of 3+ years. To turn around after that time and go back to the start with the original actress would just be too big a change - it would be like ignoring everything that had happened in the past 3+ years. It would be like Devlin's proposal to make a sequel to the Stargate movie that ignored the 10 years of development in SG1 since the original spin-off - the fans just felt it would be a complete mis-step.

If you're gonna have the character played by a different actress, you might as well have it be a brand new actress rather than go back to one who breifly played the role years ago.

it's so rare that i can name at least 3 series its happened in?

Family Matters - replaced Harriette's actress in final season
          FM also replaced the actors who originally played Ritchie
          Fresh Prince of Bel Air - replaced Vivian's actress midway through (and made an improvement IMHO)
          FPOBA also replaced the actors who played Nicky
          Full House replaced the actors who played Jesse's kids
          MASH - Father Mulcahy was played by 2 different actors
          Lois and Clark - Jimmy Olson played by 2 different actors
          Superboy - Superboy was 2 diff actors
          Bewitched - Darrin was played by 2 actors
          King of Queens - Spence's mom, though she was only recurring
          Stargate - Elizabeth Weir

okay, maybe more than 3...

so rare that this recurring situation has its own name: the Darrin Syndrome, named after Darrin from Bewitched...

oh yeah, real rare

and no, replacing TH with JS would not be erasing everything TH did... it would be concluding the Weir character arc/storyline using the actual character on-screen without having to cast a THIRD actress...

Comment

» The essentially have recast her. They cast FRAN's actress.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
              so?
              sigpic
              The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
                Would you rather we have another Ford?
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

it's so rare that i can name at least 3 series its happened in?

Family Matters - replaced Harriette's actress in final season
                  FM also replaced the actors who originally played Ritchie
                  Fresh Prince of Bel Air - replaced Vivian's actress midway through (and made an improvement IMHO)
                  FPOBA also replaced the actors who played Nicky
                  Full House replaced the actors who played Jesse's kids
                  MASH - Father Mulcahy was played by 2 different actors
                  Lois and Clark - Jimmy Olson played by 2 different actors
                  Superboy - Superboy was 2 diff actors
                  Bewitched - Darrin was played by 2 actors
                  King of Queens - Spence's mom, though she was only recurring
                  Stargate - Elizabeth Weir

okay, maybe more than 3...

so rare that this recurring situation has its own name: the Darrin Syndrome, named after Darrin from Bewitched...

oh yeah, real rare

and no, replacing TH with JS would not be erasing everything TH did... it would be concluding the Weir character arc/storyline using the actual character on-screen without having to cast a THIRD actress...
                  All those shows in 50+ years of television?!! Why that must be a huuuuge percentage of... oh wait. Maybe not. And maybe the reason the "syndrome" has a name is because it's such a dodgy thing to do and one that sticks in the audience mind precisely because it doesn't really work that well...
                  sigpic

Comment

All those shows in 50+ years of television?!! Why that must be a huuuuge percentage of... oh wait. Maybe not. And maybe the reason the "syndrome" has a name is because it's such a dodgy thing to do and one that sticks in the audience mind precisely because it doesn't really work that well...
                    actually, i can't account for 50+ yrs of TV, those are just off the top of my head.... research should yield more

like The Riddler in Batman (the 60s tv series)
                    played by Frank Gorshin in 1966, John Astin in 1967, and then Gorshin again in 1967
                    Last edited by IrishPisano; 15 July 2008, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Sure is a good thing SGA's characters are at best tenuously related to the story, huh? TPTB can do whatever they want! What artistic freedom! Why, McKay could be replaced by any goofy scientist, Sheppard could be replaced by any military guy... and it would have absolutely no effect on the narrative! Who needs characters that are actually integral to the plot, anyway? It's so much more convenient if the characters fill niche roles and act as mere observers to all sorts of strange and whacky events like being trapped in X or shooting guns at Y!
                      Last edited by AutumnDream; 16 July 2008, 03:12 AM.

Comment

well the characters in SGA are hardly as integral to the plot as SG1... except for Michael... and technically Weir since we got that cliffhanger

Comment

Your sudden interest in the Weir character is very touching, but I'm sorry to inform you that the current producers have made it clear they don't have the necessary skills to write for the character.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
                            Your sudden interest in the Weir character is very touching, but I'm sorry to inform you that the current producers have made it clear they don't have the necessary skills to write for the character.
                            nah, they made that clear way back when SGA started, lol

SGA has never had consistently strong writers

Comment

Working...
                            X