This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
    I assume you've never acted before? The script just tells you what to say and general direction. It's your choice from there on out and to sculpt your character on your own or by the director.
    I have, but then I don't see what difference that makes, Keller's role in this ep was clear and like you pointed out there is a director guiding how the scenes should play out.

Comment

Because (yes, all pure speculation)-
      1. You could not start a love triangle with Carson. He is too dignified than that.
      2. TPTB are fanboys, and it was convenient because PM is not a big name like JS.
      3. 'Shake things up'.
      4. He isn't as young and pretty.
      5. Keller would make a better best friend for Rodney.
      6. He wasn't American.
      7. Maybe no one would notice. Or care.
      8. He lacks boobies, yo.
      um big name? come on people know her from Firefly, Serenity and maybe the one X-Files ep. that's probably it

Originally posted by Repli!kat View Post
      *Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! - annnnnd Number 8! We have a winner!!!*
      LOL
      sigpic
      The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrir Foxz View Post
        If that's the case then TPTB were aiming too high because it is impossible to get everyone to like something. I think they were trying to give some depth to Keller and start the ball rolling with developing her.
        I agree. They were aiming too high. I doubt though, that they expected everyone to like Keller. But I'm sure they were hoping to win more people over than they alienated. I'm not sure they accomplished that.

JS portrayed Keller in the manner she was directed to. Who was she seeking pity from, the fans? I bought the fact that Keller was in a situation she wasn't prepared for and scared, I think quite a few people would have been terrified finding themselves off world in another galaxy, cut off from help and being hunter by savage cannibals.
        Actors aren't machines. They all bring different things to a character, regardless of any direction they're given. It's possible another actress would have come across differently, despite the same writing and directing.

Many people would have been terrified. Not all would have reacted with the same level of whine, tears and noise. Personally, I would have had far more simpathy for someone who quietly shook in her boots, but that's just me.

My opinion doesn't have to make sense, it's my interpretation of Keller and how she reacted in the episode.
        Sorry. I misunderstood you. I thought you were referring to Keller's reception in general as a likable character, not your own personal response. Of course you can like what you like -- no explanation required.

When I can understand where Keller's coming from and why she acted the way she did then yeah it does.
        If you liked Keller in Missing, then you liked her. But you would still like her whether or not you had seen worse portrayals of terrified young women in horror films, wouldn't you? I stand by what I said. Just because there are worse performances, doesn't make this one great. I'm guessing you liked it for other reasons.
        Each to their own, but I did and continue to see depth in Keller.
        And I probably never will. It's all a matter of taste.

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
          Actors aren't machines. They all bring different things to a character, regardless of any direction they're given. It's possible another actress would have come across differently, despite the same writing and directing.
          Indeed, maybe with a different actress Keller's 'whining' for one thing might not have been such an issue for some fans, we'll never truly know, but the basic outline of who the Keller character is and acts like as set out by TPTB would be similar IMO.

Sorry. I misunderstood you. I thought you were referring to Keller's reception in general as a likable character, not your own personal response. Of course you can like what you like -- no explanation required.
          No problem.

If you liked Keller in Missing, then you liked her. But you would still like her whether or not you had seen worse portrayals of terrified young women in horror films, wouldn't you? I stand by what I said. Just because there are worse performances, doesn't make this one great. I'm guessing you liked it for other reasons.
          Yeah I would, it makes not difference how bad some movies / acting I've seen has been, I liked Keller in 'Missing' and it's because I could understand and sympathize why she acted the way she did.

And I probably never will. It's all a matter of taste.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrir Foxz View Post
            IfJS portrayed Keller in the manner she was directed to. Who was she seeking pity from, the fans? I bought the fact that Keller was in a situation she wasn't prepared for and scared, I think quite a few people would have been terrified finding themselves off world in another galaxy, cut off from help and being hunter by savage cannibals.
            She should have been prepared for the possibilty that this might happen, I understand that you never know how you will react until it does but surely she wouldn't have been allowed off-world or even on Atlantis without being prepared in some way to face dangerous aliens.

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
            um big name? come on people know her from Firefly, Serenity and maybe the one X-Files ep. that's probably it
            Well I'd never heard of PM before Atlantis but I'd heard of JS.
            What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

Originally posted by CazzBlade View Post
              She should have been prepared for the possibilty that this might happen, I understand that you never know how you will react until it does but surely she wouldn't have been allowed off-world or even on Atlantis without being prepared in some way to face dangerous aliens.
              The thing is neither of them expected to find dangerous enemies on New Athos. Even Teyla was basically unprepared. When asked if she had a weapon she said

TEYLA: Just a knife. I was coming to visit my people – I did not believe I would need a gun.
              So I'm assuming that even if Jennifer hadn't had any basic self defence training, no-one thought she would actually need any.

Comment

I assume you've never acted before? The script just tells you what to say and general direction. It's your choice from there on out and to sculpt your character on your own or by the director.
                See David Tennant in Dr Who, the man can say more with his facial expressions and body language than a lot of actors can with a complete script. You don't always need the words "My heart is breaking" or "I'm scared" to get the meaning across.

Comment

Because (yes, all pure speculation)-
                  1. You could not start a love triangle with Carson. He is too dignified than that.
                  2. TPTB are fanboys, and it was convenient because PM is not a big name like JS.
                  3. 'Shake things up'.
                  4. He isn't as young and pretty.
                  5. Keller would make a better best friend for Rodney.
                  6. He wasn't American.
                  7. Maybe no one would notice. Or care.
                  8. He lacks boobies, yo.
                  Carson and Rodney had great scenes together...I don't really like Rodney all that much but i did love the Rodney/Carson banter..I miss that

Ohhh yeaahhhhh.....What's wrong with the Scottish I'm Scottish

Did I mention he wouldn't look as good in leather?
                  He would to me.....Well if they don't want him can i have him
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure how she could have been prepared for that, should Keller have gone through basic weapons and hand to hand combat training, survival skills and whatnot? There is still the fact that it was a routine mission to see Teyla's people and even Teyla wasn't prepared for the mess they found themselves in. If Keller had been given a crash course in off world travel I still don't think she would have been prepared and would have been pushed to her limits in one way or another.

Comment

Well I'd never heard of PM before Atlantis but I'd heard of JS.
                      Firefly premiered in 2002, Atlantis in 2004
                      sigpic
                      The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Sgt. Dusty is to never be seeing again ever, unless she is showed getting fed upon by a wraith.

Comment

Sgt. Dusty was the only one who I liked in today´s episode. Walking cliché, maybe, but she was the only who knew what to do instead of confused running around.
                          I did mind Sheppard - I think he could finally say something more than just "crap" all the time and show some emotions after he lost one of his officers.
                          But I am not saying that I changed my mind and think that "Sheppard should go"
                          Last edited by Klenotka; 06 September 2008, 03:43 PM.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

She should have been prepared for the possibility that this might happen, I understand that you never know how you will react until it does but surely she wouldn't have been allowed off-world or even on Atlantis without being prepared in some way to face dangerous aliens.
                            You are right Cazz. In real life, Keller would have never been issued a weapon unless she knew how to use it properly and safely. Even in a real life situation, no one knows how they will react in a situation however, if you are trained, you are prepared at least to expect the worst.

Comment

I voted other, as in none. I like them all.
                              It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
                              --J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

Keller. Her character is to unbelievable to play the part of a HMO of a base.
                                supersoldier34sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X