This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    And Teyla is always there also. She's standing in the background, running for the jumper, dragging McKay out of his stupor, arguing with John, having actual interaction with Ronon, whining about Kanaan and her people, imitating Counselor Troi, eating ground slugs and a myriad of other things. She may not always be the focus. But. She. Is. There.

John is also just there sometimes. Wallpapered just like Teyla, only with a few more lines. Which by the way, I think in S4 were remarkably repetitive. It may be favorite character prejudice, but I don't see why the Teyla fans are so upset. They never said she was the star. The star is supposed to be the big damn hero. WTF isn't he?????

Leaving now. It's time for wine. This whole thing has rubbed my last nerve.
    I understand what you say and particularly if you are a Weir fan. I agree with John and like I said I was one of a few who like Teyla storyline. But if Teylafan are upset it'sbecause it was time for her to really shine. For me she had the chance to shine a lot this season but her character was profondly modified. She was all motherhood one moment and become again the warrior (what IMO she wouldn't have stop to be even pregnant) She was sensed to be the leading lady and she was a lot in the background. They gave her an huge arc which is really reduced in the story. It seems like nobody ask her if she was okay with what she lives. Atlantis seems to don't even start to search her people before Teyla disappear. Like I said I like this storyline because Rachel was given something to act and her character growth the most for me and IMO we growth with her. But finally the arc was reduced to her pregnancy which sadly didn't even turn to be sci-fi or occasion for team eps what I would have liked for an arc.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    *giggles* Sorry, this is just a funny rant... I can feel the frustration. There's frustration, right? Cause otherwise I'm probably misreading.

I can proof though, that Teyla isn't around as much as Sheppard.
    And quality over quantity.... yes, but if there isn't much quantity you can't have much quality either.

I think the problem with that is that she is supposed to be part of the team... I'm not sure what Rachel's status is supposed to be on the show. She wasn't leading lady, that was for sure in the last 4 seasons. Maybe she is in 5, I don't know how that works really...
    Anyway, as I was saying... I think the Teyla-fans (of who I am one) are just frustrated to have such a wonderful character with so much awesome potential being completely wasted away, like other characters. They all suffer from it except McKay. I think the McKay-fans are the happiest in the fandom (could be mistaken of course). And the whole pregnancy-storyline in 4 didn't do her any good, au contraire it hurt the character some more in my opinion (I know people who liked it).

I don't know... just my 2 cent on the matter...

My whine is Illustrator... oh, I'm putting literally every bit of frustration and snark in my work at the moment.
    I agree with you but for me there can be leading male or leading lady only if you can compare it to something id est the team. Without this they can do what they want but it's uninteresting. Travelers wasn't interesting because what is the point that he did all of this if there isn't witness, if it can have incidence over the show because he is the only one to know ? And sadly growth the most because sadly he doesn't need the team, he always evolve alone.
    Originally posted by Pegasus_SGA View Post

I love a good mix, but I just get the feeling from what we've read that more time will be spent on new characters rather than concentrating on developing the team. I really felt as if the team in S4 was less evident, and i really hope it's not that sort of mix that he's referring to. As Linz said there didn't seem to be many 'B' storylines either. Sometimes at least on those points we get to see more teamyness.
    Yeah really well said for me. Keller someone ? (like I said I like Keller but hey she was on all promotional photos)
    Originally posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
    Not that it matters much, but I have always understood that opening credits meant a lot in terms of who was the "star" of the show.
    SGA draws its strength from its ensemble cast. Each of them brings strengths and weaknesses that make for good drama and character interaction. Each should have an opportunity to shine, but in the end, Sheppard is the glue that holds everything together. Even in those episodes where he is not the primary, he plays an important role. One example that just pops to mind is his brief appearance at the beginning of "Missing". It was important to the story that someone comment about Teyla's "hot date", and Sheppard was the best one for that job.

Let's face it, if it weren't for Sheppard, we wouldn't have the team at all. He personally selected Teyla, Ford and McKay, and then fought to have Ronon added when Ford was no longer there. He provides comic relief when necessary, just like O'Neill did in SG1, and he is able to drop the hammer when it is necessary.

Sheppard is the star of the show; and hopefully that will not change.
    Yoiu are right on Shep but I find it sad. I don't know why it seems impossible for Rodney to make time with Teyla (she has to be too stupid)
    But I'm stupid too because I thought that the credit were in alphabetical order Flanigan -Higginson -Luttrell -Momoa and DH because he was special. I was disappointed in S4 I thought Sam will take place of Beckett. I hope it won't be Keller instead of Carter now
    Originally posted by ruby_caspar View Post
    I totally agree with you about Sheppard - he is the star, but I also think McKay is a very very close second. Though McKay has, proportionally, been given too much development. Don't get me wrong - I'm a big McKay fan, but I don't think the development of other characters should be sacrificed to keep having stories about him.

Ronon is my favourite SGA character, so I'm very happy about the spoilers appearing about him. I'd like to hear more Teyla development, but I'm used to being disappointed on that score by now. I'm actually quite looking forward to Whispers (you know that will end up being all about Sheppard and Beckett anyway) and can't wait to see Picardo on the show. As for lack of Sheppard spoilers thus far - I'm not worried. It's very early on and they're still spinning, and I'm sure Sheppard will continue to be the great wise-cracking flyboy wounded soul we all know and love, and have plenty of great plotlines.

What I want to see more of is team storylines. SGA have proven they can do it really well - Condemned, Vengeance, Aurora etc... but so far it looks like Daedalus Variations is the only one we've got
    I would like too but please don't hate me but I think that McKay replace Shep in the center of the show.

Originally posted by Elinor View Post
    I've always thought of the team as being the group of four that go off world on missions. So that would be Shep, McKay, Ronon and Teyla. Shep refers to them as 'being on his team'. The others are part of the expedition but not team members. Just my take on it though!
    Really well said
    For someone who like the show I said a lot of critics
    sigpic
    Sig by the Great Linda06

Comment

Originally posted by asgard30 View Post
      Please don't remember this what reconfort me it's that sadly there wasn't a lot of interaction with the team for other characters because there wasn't TEAM Yeah it makes me really odd to see what JM said on the TEAM ep like this was new hey you like team eps, don't miss it there will be only one. Like people who like team eps are a minority but I don't think so but I don't know sadly I find myself always in minorities
      ITA
      What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

I'm sorry but I disagree. (I'm really sorry ) for me Shep isn't the leading man. For me SGA is really a question of team and core team there is leading men and lady IMO. Besides it's true he seems in front of all, he has the most of screen time but I thought S4 wasn't great for him and to be honest for Ronon neither. I find them a little too much in the background except for THEIR character centered ep where the others weren't even there.
        I like Keller but I think this is alittle the fault of the writers that people don't like her. (Once again I'm sorry I'm not a writer ) but she was everywhere and like someone said in this thread she divides the team. Everywhere she was there wasn't team. She had ep centered around her that even Carter didn't have. I like Carter I'm a fan of SG1 and I fear she will shine too much. But by trying to don't make her shine we didn't even saw her. Keller could have been more in her place by beeing in the credit than Sam
        You don't agree that Sheppard is the leading man or you just don't agree with what I said? (sorry I don't understand)

I agree that SGA is about the team, I adore the team eps which seem to be distinctly lacking, but I also want to know about a major episode for Sheppard, Sheppard is the lead character, and so far we haven't heard about one, I just would like to know either way if there wil be one, I don't even need details, just a little reassurance that I will get to see a good ep with my favourite character.

Sorry I guess I just don't get what you are disagreeing with (maybe I am just sleep deprived and not thinking straight, a little clarification would be good )

Comment

Originally posted by Listy View Post
          You don't agree that Sheppard is the leading man or you just don't agree with what I said? (sorry I don't understand)

I agree that SGA is about the team, I adore the team eps which seem to be distinctly lacking, but I also want to know about a major episode for Sheppard, Sheppard is the lead character, and so far we haven't heard about one, I just would like to know either way if there wil be one, I don't even need details, just a little reassurance that I will get to see a good ep with my favourite character.

Sorry I guess I just don't get what you are disagreeing with (maybe I am just sleep deprived and not thinking straight, a little clarification would be good )
          Oh sorry you know I'm a little blonde at times I don't explain well myself .
          I disagree with Shep being the leading man because I didn't imagine Stargate as a character centered and like before I never come to fandom I was surprised to discover that people said he is the leading man. It's true he will certainly be the head of the list but I think I confond (?) it with SG1 where I never thought Jack alone could stand for SG1 (more importantly in S9 and 10).
          But if we have to choose someone nowadays I ask myself if people would say Shep. He is the military and team leading man but not of the show. I don't know how to say it I don't want that it seems a critic. But I think the author put all their energy in developping Rodney and finally Shep suffer from this in the same manner than Teyla IMO.
          And to answer you yeah I disagree with Shep leading man because I agree with the rest of your post sorry And I think that finally JM is avare of spoilers. I ask myself that perhaps it's to hide really important things and Shep will have such a big development
          sigpic
          Sig by the Great Linda06

Comment

Oh sorry you know I'm a little blonde at times I don't explain well myself .
            I disagree with Shep being the leading man because I didn't imagine Stargate as a character centered and like before I never come to fandom I was surprised to discover that people said he is the leading man. It's true he will certainly be the head of the list but I think I confond (?) it with SG1 where I never thought Jack alone could stand for SG1 (more importantly in S9 and 10).
            But if we have to choose someone nowadays I ask myself if people would say Shep. He is the military and team leading man but not of the show. I don't know how to say it I don't want that it seems a critic. But I think the author put all their energy in developping Rodney and finally Shep suffer from this in the same manner than Teyla IMO.
            And to answer you yeah I disagree with Shep leading man because I agree with the rest of your post sorry And I think that finally JM is avare of spoilers. I ask myself that perhaps it's to hide really important things and Shep will have such a big development
            Ah I think I understand now, you see the show as being a team show and that no one person is the main focus is that correct? Sorry I didn't get that before, I think I am just being a bit thick today

I hope you are correct and there is a big development for Shep, I think it would be wonderful and its what Shep fans are waiting for

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
              No, just no..... please. Surely I'm not the only Sheppard fan here who thinks that making him be in love with Teyla would be bad for his character (and hers), am I? He's her team leader for crying out loud. And no, I didn't like Jack/Sam either - that very much damaged Jack as a character for me. (And no, I'm not pro John/Elizabeth either).
              I'm a huge Shep fan and don't think any relationship has to damage any character if its well written and I'm kinda fed up hearing this same old argument. SGA will never do outright relationships with the main characters but maybe just hint at it and that's not gonna do any damage. Throwing hot babes at him won't help his character either, but that seems to be the only thing the writers can do for Shep these days. A nice friendship moment like in Sateda or where John and Teyla hug (which can be interpreted as Shippy by some fans if they so wish) is ten times better IMO than watching Shep turn into a fumbling teenager around woman.

The writers need to give Sheppard something meaty and turn his character into something more than the one dementional character he gets to portray most of the time. Joe Flanigan is totally underused on the show and I would rather see him get more deep and meaningful stuff and less screentime, then just be written into every episode as the hot guy who runs around with a gun. He needs something different and unique which delves into his character and where we actually learn something about the man. Being the hero shouldn't mean he's not allowed to show emotion and this bottling up of everything is getting old.

Sheppard needs to grow and to be given a chance to show what lies beneath that mask he wears, and the relationship between Sheppard and Teyla would be a perfect way of getting him to open up. Sheppard should be allowed to show emotion, it can be in private and it would be so welcome seeing something cause that steely control of his to waiver, and who better than Teyla or Ronon to witness this. No one is advocating he falls to pieces but considering the crap the guy has been through over the last few years it's becoming unbelievable that none of this can effect him or take it's toll.

So I do hope that the ptb have something good in store for us this season for Shep, but I'm not holding my breath. It looks like the writers are steering away from team eps in season 5, and giving us way too many fragmented stories with these new characters that I have absolutely no interest in at all. The ensemble cast and team are the reason I watch the show and this is where the focus should be placed for the show to grow and to keep fans interested. If the mix keeps getting diluted with all these new characters then the writers will end up developing none of them. The core of the show should the relationships between the main cast, and that doesn't mean that some have to have a hissy fit anytime some of them interact in a sligthly more intimate or friendly way.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Listy View Post
                Ah I think I understand now, you see the show as being a team show and that no one person is the main focus is that correct? Sorry I didn't get that before, I think I am just being a bit thick today

I hope you are correct and there is a big development for Shep, I think it would be wonderful and its what Shep fans are waiting for
                Yeah it's this. Hey you say things so much better than me
                Originally posted by bluealien View Post
                The writers need to give Sheppard something meaty and turn his character into something more than the one dementional character he gets to portray most of the time. Joe Flanigan is totally underused on the show and I would rather see him get more deep and meaningful stuff and less screentime, then just be written into every episode as the hot guy who runs around with a gun. He needs something different and unique which delves into his character and where we actually learn something about the man. Being the hero shouldn't mean he's not allowed to show emotion and this bottling up of everything is getting old.

So I do hope that the ptb have something good in store for us this season for Shep, but I'm not holding my breath. It looks like the writers are steering away from team eps in season 5, and giving us way too many fragmented stories with these new characters that I have absolutely no interest in at all. The ensemble cast and team are the reason I watch the show and this is where the focus should be placed for the show to grow and to keep fans interested. If the mix keeps getting diluted with all these new characters then the writers will end up developing none of them. The core of the show should the relationships between the main cast, and that doesn't mean that some have to have a hissy fit anytime some of them interact in a sligthly more intimate or friendly way.
                Very well said ITA.
                I miss the old good time (like in S3 ) where when we have spoilers we couldn't even imagine that the main focus wouldn't be in the team. I keep hope but it's true that JM said that the second half of S4 would turn more around the team and we never have less team feeling than in this moment.
                I miss too the exploration when they go to encounter new races and culture. Now when they are in mission it seems it's to encounter other members of Atlantis expedition and when someone encounter a new race this is the only one to know that they exist and to interact with them.
                Nevertheless I think they keep secret points and speak to us of superficial things like new members to keep the secret around the main characters. I really hope.
                sigpic
                Sig by the Great Linda06

Comment

Yeah it's this. Hey you say things so much better than me
                  Believe me I sometimes wonder if English is actually my first language and no I don't say it better I just need to repeat it a few times in different ways to get it to sink in to my brain

I am glad I get it now though

Comment

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....2&postcount=63

And yet another seemingly Shep-light ep.

Comment

Originally posted by Repli!kat View Post

Is he even still in this show? Good to see Jason and Rachel have scenes together.
                      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Repli!kat View Post

I'm becoming increasingly concerned by this lack of any significant Sheppard mention because I can't help but wonder if it's because TPTB have no idea of what to do with him so they plan to just write him into episodes as they go along, or, if there's something more permanent in the works that could mean no Sheppard if there's a Season 6.

I hope the answer is neither of the above and that TPTB surprise me as they did with Miller's Crossing. Although that episode was mostly about Rodney, it turned out to be one of Sheppard's best episodes. It was good to see JF get something that he could sink his teeth into for a change.
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by tatinha View Post
                          About the team, I would say there isn't a team anymore, since Carson died; Weir died; Ford went missing, Teyla is a mother. We don't have a team. I think Carter and Keller could not fill the hole that Carson and Wier left.
                          .: Lovely post, tatinha!
                          Sorry, but I'm snipping this into two sections. I wholeheartedly agree with what you said. There really is no team now that Carson and Elizabeth have been basically thrown out the window. And there is no way Carter, and especially Keller and Woolsey can ever fill those spots. Never.

.: 'Team' and 'family' is gone - don't even get me onto those incredibly forced, ridiculous family scenes with Keller that may only increase in the fifth season. The cast shake-up has done no good things, whether it's reeling in SG1 viewers, stringing along Weir and Carson fans, and for heck "shaking it up".

Besides, when the series started, the focus was Colonel Sheppard, who had an interesting history to be discovered, and that was forgot, which was a great disappointment. The story of the black mark and his family's problems were left in a second plane and Colonel Sheppard's character faded. There is no team and there is no leader and the episodes don't have interesting focuses. That's the problem, in my opinion.
                          .: ITA.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          Looks like there hasn't been a real TEAM in ages, like in ... you know... THE team. Elizabeth, Carson, Zelenka, Lorne, Kate, Chuck, ... all also part of THE team but I have feeling they're not the ones we're talking about here.
                          .: You see, not REAL team in ages. The last time there was the 'real' team was Sunday which also brought the feeling of 'team' and 'family' to an abrupt end. It got way worse with FS and Doppelganger.

.: There's offworld team, which is mainly But without the other half, they fall flat.

.: SGA is suffering from wonky chemistry just like TPTB's brains might be suffering from.

Comment

I have to be honest, the main reason I watch SGA is Shep. For me, it started with the very first episode when it seemed that this was a show about Sheppard and his team, and their adventures in Atlantis and the Pegasus Galaxy. So every time there is an episode where he is not featured, I feel like it is a diversion from the main story they are trying to tell. I don't mind once in a while, that they focus on the others, I love the character development. But then I want them to get back to Shep/Team and the impact they have on their world. I hate to be pessimistic but I hope this lack of news concerning Shep is not a reflection of the end-product, as I really do WANT to like SGA.
                            sigpic

Comment

Anyone needing more proof that Atlantis has switched focus to being McKay centric rather than Sheppard and/or the team, need only read the description for The Shrine just posted on Gateworld.

Although it does have potential as a team episode, McKay is the primary focus for the 100th episode which promises great character development and plot. No big surprise there.

I love McKay but I'm kind of tired of episodes that deal with his deteriorating or accelerating mental state. This is an episode I would have loved to see for anyone else in the cast. At least that way it would have been unique.

sigs by the talented CazzBlade, elephantgirl,CKO, kali1, csom, Luciana, Torri012 and rachel d..thanks so much!

Comment

Originally posted by chensuu View Post
                                Anyone needing more proof that Atlantis has switched focus to being McKay centric rather than Sheppard and/or the team, need only read the description for The Shrine just posted on Gateworld.

Although it does have potential as a team episode, McKay is the primary focus for the 100th episode which promises great character development and plot. No big surprise there.

I love McKay but I'm kind of tired of episodes that deal with his deteriorating or accelerating mental state. This is an episode I would have loved to see for anyone else in the cast. At least that way it would have been unique.
                                It's not the 100th episode...

Comment

Working...
                                X