This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Isn't that what the fans want? Romance, fluff, angst, ship/slash, ... why else would they write about it in their fanfics?

[end snark]

I'd say it has no purpose other than to satisfy the fratboys writing it.
    I guess that is the NEW SCI FI show recipe .

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      Isn't that what the fans want? Romance, fluff, angst, ship/slash, ... why else would they write about it in their fanfics?

[end snark]

I'd say it has no purpose other than to satisfy the fratboys writing it.
      You know to me writers write what they want to see on screen. From my limited experience, rarely do they give into the fans demands. This is why SGA bothers me now. What exactly are they saying? When your team mate's fallen, promptly forget about them. Oh wait, many many months have passed so they are not brought up in the conversation any more. Doesn't matter that they were an integral part of your team, or that you spent almost every day with them in a relatively close quarters. The one year was spent cut off from everything/everyone you knew, and in a "normal human behavior" you'd bond or try to bond with what's around you.

By comparison, BSG writers are writing what they want to tell. They love the characters they've created, and gives each one an unique story line and remembers to continue with that story line. They are not afraid to show the effects of the terrible things that take place.
      sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by justhere1971 View Post
        BSG & SGA are no comparison in any way. Not in the story telling, not in character & story integrity - nothing.

As far as the relationships on BSG, it's used to illustrate a point. It's used to illustrate the characters and on a lot of the occasions, their tormented soul. How they react, where they go from there. They are the last hope of humanity -- try putting that kinda pressure on and see what that does to your psyche.

What point does the relationship triangle serve in the SGA world?
        BSG has become an utter mess with relationships. They don't know where they are even going with them.
        sigpic

Comment

Let's take the BSG subject out of SGA S5. We don't want noodles to fly around .

Comment

Like BSG Michael has a plan

and it's to do with a hybrid baby...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Weir View Post
              Like BSG Michael has a plan

and it's to do with a hybrid baby...
              Please don't give them ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Pajus View Post
                Please don't give them ideas
                Erm...I'm not. It's from season 4.
                sigpic

Comment

You know to me writers write what they want to see on screen. From my limited experience, rarely do they give into the fans demands. This is why SGA bothers me now. What exactly are they saying? When your team mate's fallen, promptly forget about them. Oh wait, many many months have passed so they are not brought up in the conversation any more. Doesn't matter that they were an integral part of your team, or that you spent almost every day with them in a relatively close quarters. The one year was spent cut off from everything/everyone you knew, and in a "normal human behavior" you'd bond or try to bond with what's around you.

By comparison, BSG writers are writing what they want to tell. They love the characters they've created, and gives each one an unique story line and remembers to continue with that story line. They are not afraid to show the effects of the terrible things that take place.
                  And therein lies the difference between the two shows; not so much in that TPTB of SGA don't love their show as much as TPTB of BSG, but in the very essence of what the two shows are.

SGA is more of a procedural SF show. Sure, it has underlying story arcs that tend to tie seasons together into a cohesive unit, but the general gist is that most episodes are standalone eps. The characters have more or less set personalities that remain more or less unchanged throughout the course of the season/show with several scattered eps that force each character to deviate from his/her norm. But they revert right back in the next ep usually.

BSG is not procedural. It's storytelling is very much dependent on mythology and season-long and show-long story arcs. For the show to really make sense, one has to watch it from it's premiere or at least read an extensive summary. Over more, BSG is about its characters' humanity and the development of that humanity in both humans and cylons alike. Every action has a reaction and the consequences reverberate in future episodes.

They are 2 very different shows and 2 very different approaches by TPTB.

Count me in the group not looking forward to the "Triangle of Lurve". As much as I am against it because I dislike overt shipping in Stargate, I'm also against it because it simply doesn't seem organic to the show and to the characters.

I'm all for the characters having love lives and relationships, but I'd like them to be kept behind the scenes with a few casual mentions scattered here and there or brought up occasionally for character development.

I'll postpone judgment until I actually see the shippy episodes, but until then I remain apprehensive.
                  sigpic

Comment

...writers write what they want to see on screen.

By comparison, BSG writers are writing what they want to tell.
                    Perhaps the SGA PTB can take an example to the BSG ones when it comes to making a show. Personally I think BSG is doing a far better job at it than SGA and I haven't even seen season 3 or 4 yet of the first (will continue once I'm done with Xena, which I can assure you is far better than SGA too).
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I also can't help but think that TPTB at SGA are attempting to emulate the formula that worked so well for BSG.

People love BSG because of the richness of its storytelling, its characters, and yes, there are people that watch it for the relationships.

We've seen this happen in TV before; when CSI became uber popular, suddenly there was a mass influx of procedurals on prime-time programming. When one of those procedurals deviated from the standard or refraining from intruducing relationships, and it was shown to work, suddenly all the procedurals started hooking up all their main characters either with each other or with other characters.

It's generally a rule that if something works then you'll have many shows trying to recreate that winning formula in a way that may work for their own particular show.

Maybe that's what's happening on SGA.
                      sigpic

Comment

I made a vid to sum up my feelings about S5... it's here.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post

great!!!
                          Stolen Kosovo
                          sigpic

Comment

Funny .

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                              LOL, yeah this is one thing I am really not for, well hey I got my wish about Larrin. She won't be returning next season. So the power of the Briangate is strong. Maybe I can wish for Carson full-time next season.
                              No Larrin in S5? So is she gone forever? YEA!!!!!!

Ok Briangate.....next, we want Keller gone.

Comment

Thats great. shouldnt it be the "Love Doctor"
                                sigpic
                                banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

Working...
                                X