Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll most likely tune in until the bitter end. I'm too much of an optimist to give up on something that I've invested so much time in. Even during season 9 of SG-1, which I hated, I hung in there in the hopes that things would improve and, IMO, it did with season 10 so I'm glad that I didn't give up.

Even with Weir gone this season I've enjoyed it overall, with the exception of the last few episodes which I found to be lacking due to the lack of team and the focus on one-off stories centering on only one or two of the characters at a time. Still, I understand the reason why they've chosen to focus on these sorts of stories, it's a necessity due to the personal lives of the actors involved in the show, so I know that it won't stay this way forever.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Ice Wolf View Post
      With all the turmoil involving cast changes and the general direction the show has been taking are you going to tune in to watch season 5?

I used to love Atlantis, I caught the episodes as soon as I could, however with all that's happened I've become apathetic towards the show. I don't really care if i miss episodes any more. A lot of this has to do with the cast changes. Weir was a major thing that kept me interested in the show. Through the last few seasons of SG-1 I had gotten a bit bored with it and watched more out of habit and cause Atlantis was coming up etc. Weir was what kept me watching the show cause she was a major part of what made the show fresh.

Another reason for my wane in interest has been because for some reason I had begun to expect more out of the show than I was getting. I wanted tighter more intelligent storytelling and it just didn't seem to be what we were getting. I guess i saw that Atlantis could be so much more and that for whatever reason it wasn't reaching its potential.

I might catch a few episodes of Season 5 but i don't seeing me being the regular viewer i was through seasons 1-3. Which is a shame as Atlantis was my favourite show.
      Yes.

If I wasn't going to watch the show, I WOULDN'T BE HERE TALKING ABOUT IT.

Comment

No.

I did try to watch a few episodes from season four, but I found them dull and poorly written. Harmony and Trio were, imo, dire. To me Atlantis has become somewhat like a cartoon, childish and predicable. It is no longer the show it once was. Add that to the cast changes, I hate Woolsey, and I was looking forward to seeing Weir again. I respect TH and agree with her decision but I do miss the character so much and don't feel the show is the same without her.

I will watch the two episodes that guest star DJ/MS,just because I am a fan of both actor and character but as for the rest I am going to pass.

If when it airs in the US I hear from someone I trust that it is worth tuning in I might consider it, but at this point in time I doubt I will bother.
        sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Guys, I'm gonna derail this thread for a second, largely because it's been the sole source of reported posts today.

Look, if Ed is 100% enthusiastic for season 5, good for ed. If Mary isn't, then good for mary.

Everyone has their own opinion. And everyone is entitled to express it.

BUT

What they are not entitled to express here is 'only idiots won't watch season five' or 'yeah, well those dumb idiots will love everything tptb crank out'

THEY'RE NOT IDIOTS

and I'm talking about both sides here. They're not idiots.

If you love the show and you see a post made by someone that doesn't, don't call them names. Don't disparage their opinions. They're just as entitled to them as you are.

Can you disagree? Of course you can. It's not that you disagree, but how.

Don't mock another's opinion. Don't call then names.

You can say 'mary, i don't agree with you' and that's fine.

You CAN'T say 'mary, you're as dumb as a stump. why are you even here if you're not going to watch the show? Just shut up and go away'

I invite everyone to chill out, grow up and try to express yourselves in a more adult manner.

Try settling for simply expressing your own opinions and stop criticizing others for theirs.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy View Post
            I'll most likely tune in until the bitter end. I'm too much of an optimist to give up on something that I've invested so much time in. Even during season 9 of SG-1, which I hated, I hung in there in the hopes that things would improve and, IMO, it did with season 10 so I'm glad that I didn't give up.
            Yup same here... I hung on with S9 even though I originally found it slow to establish the new story *Ori arc, characters etc* but now looking back I really like S9 of SG1 almost as much as S10... I learned from that season that loosing a character doesn't mean the show will go down hill from there... And I'm am really happy with the fact that I hung on with S9 long enough to see it get up to speed with the new turn

Even with Weir gone this season I've enjoyed it overall, with the exception of the last few episodes which I found to be lacking due to the lack of team and the focus on one-off stories centering on only one or two of the characters at a time. Still, I understand the reason why they've chosen to focus on these sorts of stories, it's a necessity due to the personal lives of the actors involved in the show, so I know that it won't stay this way forever.
            S4 of Atlantis for me has been one of the best so far, I've really enjoyed this new turn dispite Weir no longer being a regular... The one off stories have had some value in aswell as eps like BAMSR and TMC, there has been very little I would really say was bad or I dislike about this season and if S4 is anything to go by S5 will be really good IMO

Comment

Overall love Season 4 and can't wait to tune into season 5...
              sigpic

Comment

Yes. While I do think Atlantis has its problems as a show, and feel that it's not as reliably good in terms of storytelling and characterisation as it used to be, it's still fun, I still care about the characters, and there have been enough good episodes this season to make it worthwhile for me to keep watching. I don't expect perfection in a TV show, and as long as something about it still appeals to me, I'll watch, even if I criticise it from time to time or wish the writers would take it in a different direction.
                'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.' - Nietzsche
                'Real-time genetic mutation. More than human! The next step in our evolution as a species!.' - Lord Kane
                'I don't want to be a *god*. I just want to bring fire to the people - and I want my cut.' - Lex Luthor
                'What one has, one ought to use, and whatever he does he should do with all his might.' - Cicero

Comment

That is how I felt about SG-1 Season 9 and 10! I thought the end of Season 9 began to go back on track. The episiode where Vala appears through Daniel and through the finale were intense. Season 10 was very enjoyable to me.

As per Atlantis, I notice a lot of fans are worried since the last 4 eps have not been all story arc or the action/drama/excitment/thriller type eps. I think by the time the last 4 eps air, a lot of folks are going to be really anticipating Season 5. TPTB have a chance here to really excite the fans and get them talking about how interesting and exciting the end for Season 4 was. The last 3 eps are going to be important in pleasing the fans. The fans will hopefully remember the season with an exciting start and finish.
                  sigpic

Comment

i will be ...if i'm not working
                    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I'm waiting to see how the last episodes of this season turn out. I'd like to give a definate yes, since I've been with the show since the beginning, but this season hasn't lived up to the hype, imo. I was expecting more, considering Atlantis was flying through space last season, which could have led to any number of new adventures. But maybe my expectations were just too high. While I loved BAMSR, the episodes following it have been average at best and dreadful at worst. I actually stopped watching the show live, which is something I haven't done before.

The cast changes haven't really affected me as much as some people, although I'm realizing more and more how much I miss Carson. I just wish SGA could be a little more consistent. We get these excellent eps like BAMSR, imo, but they're mixed in with all of these clunkers. Episodes that are character building don't need to be dull, but that seems to be the trend. And the character development we do get isn't even very substantial. I sometimes feel as if I'm wading through the dreck just to spot a diamond. I'm also not feeling the dynamic of the team anymore. They don't feel very connected, but they also don't seem to have many conflicts. They just seem to be reacting to each other week after week depending on the situation. However, I have liked the brief tension between Sheppard and Teyla even though I've been greatly disappointed with Teyla's arc as a whole. So, I guess the season finale will decide whether or not I tune in next season. Here's hoping it's a good one.

Comment

YES I'll definitely tune in!
                        sigpic
                        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

I'm tuning in. Sure, the cast changes were weird at first (I am getting very used to the idea of seeing Woolsey as a regular), but Stargate Atlantis has a way of making you like all of it's characters.

Besides, the episodes are fun to watch. Season 4 wasn't such a big dissapointment, and I'm sure season 5 will be great. And filled with snark. Oh, how I love the snark.

So, yeah. Tuning in.
                          ~ Proud thunker of Carson Beckett ~

Carson.........................Rodney .......................Teyla........................... John

Comment

Originally posted by Emre View Post
                            ... Stargate Atlantis has a way of making you like all of it's characters.
                            Even Kavanagh?

I'm all for unlikable characters, as long as they're meant to be that way. Unfortunately, some of the "good guy" characters come across as jerks to me, and I'm not talking about McKay.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                              Even Kavanagh?
                              Actually, no. He's an exception in every possible way. I was going to add that, but I forgot. Darn.
                              ~ Proud thunker of Carson Beckett ~

Carson.........................Rodney .......................Teyla........................... John

Comment

Originally posted by Emre View Post
                                Actually, no. He's an exception in every possible way. I was going to add that, but I forgot. Darn.
                                what about Lucius?
                                sigpic
                                The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X