Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season 5 is totally dependent upon ratings and of course, if Skiffy's other much-ballyhooed stuff tanks, then they'll look for dependable. Ratins will depend on the writing - if the writing stinks, viewers will leave, no matter WHO is on the show. Then you've got some SGA fans who are ticked off at cast changes and may bail (if you watch a show for one actor, that is what happens - after all, many RDA fans left when he left, so, that's just life), then you've got (yes, they DO exist) some sG1 fans who are ticked off SGA is still around when their beloved (and I'm quoting a not-to-be-named fan) show gets the axe.

Of course, woudl help if Skiffy promoted the show, actually did NEW promo material, etc. Gawd, if they could just push one friggin' segment on Entertainment Tonight, or Access Hollywood. I mean, whatsface with the weird hair and bad voice got booted off American Idol, so there's room for a new segment!

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
      Personally I think the current ratings will be good enough to get a season 5, since all of it's prgramming is taking a ratings hit. I really want a season 5 so I really hope it happens though it may not. Hopefully scifi can figure out that all of this (the ratings drop) is their bloody fault and they pretty much shot themselves in the foot on this one.
      I hope so. I too think that the current ratings would be enough for a S5 go ahead, and I truly do think we will get at least 5 seasons of SGA. Beyond that is another matter though. It would be so interesting to see how they would handle a 100th ep as a season (possibly series) finale.

Comment

The current ratings are good enough for a s5. The question is, will they hold through s4 or fall too far.

Personally, s4 sounds promisining, despite all the changes, so I'll still be around. I hope we get a 5th, 6th and 7th even. I'm not sure after 7 seasons though. These shows tend to have a shelf life and I don't think SG-1 was as strong after 7th, nor X-Files, or any other show that went past 7 seasons. Except the Simpsons. Geez. That one's the exception to almost everything.
        sigpic

Comment

I'm hopeful for a fifth season, but not certain of it.

As long as ratings stay steady, it should make it - it would still be doing better than Skiffy's favourite children, Dresden Files and Galactica. I am worried about the ratings though - some people aren't happy about the changes, and obviously Skiffy's schedulers/advertisers/programmers are morons (seriously, a goldfish could probably do a better job than Bonnie and Mark).

(and yes, I realise how crap and broken the Nielsen system is)

Hasn't Doctor Who been airing in the fall? Could Atlantis get paired with that?

Comment

I will do my best to remain cautiously optimistic for a 5th season of SGA (since I trust Sci-Fi about as far as I can throw them). In the meantime, I plan to just try and enjoy Season 4 when it rolls along.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
              Well, there isn't really anywhere else to take it.....
              They could always take it to PBS. But of course they'd have to find away to produce the show without paying most of the Actors, and staff in general. I guess they could try paying David, Rachael, Jason, and Amanda with "ego strokes," and Joe with "that Nancy-boy hair gel he likes so much."

They also might have to put up with a few Elmo guest spots...
              Last edited by Ripple in Space; 21 April 2007, 08:36 AM.
              sigpic
              "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
              ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
                I'm hopeful for a fifth season, but not certain of it.

As long as ratings stay steady, it should make it - it would still be doing better than Skiffy's favourite children, Dresden Files and Galactica. I am worried about the ratings though - some people aren't happy about the changes, and obviously Skiffy's schedulers/advertisers/programmers are morons (seriously, a goldfish could probably do a better job than Bonnie and Mark).

(and yes, I realise how crap and broken the Nielsen system is)

Hasn't Doctor Who been airing in the fall? Could Atlantis get paired with that?
                I agree. I too am concerned about the ratings but extremely optimistic about my second favorite show continuing for a long while.
                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by saberhagen83 View Post
                  I hope so. I too think that the current ratings would be enough for a S5 go ahead, and I truly do think we will get at least 5 seasons of SGA. Beyond that is another matter though. It would be so interesting to see how they would handle a 100th ep as a season (possibly series) finale.
                  I agree and hope it lasts past five seasons but if it lasts at least sive seasons it will still last longer than most shows and unforunatly the SG series' are two of the few good shows out there.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                    I will do my best to remain cautiously optimistic for a 5th season of SGA (since I trust Sci-Fi about as far as I can throw them). In the meantime, I plan to just try and enjoy Season 4 when it rolls along.
                    I can't trust them either but I will remain positive till they stab us in the back......again.

Comment

I just want to throw in my two-bits on this topic as well...

As you might know (or not), I'm a bit hesitant about the changes that took place for Season 4 but there's also no way I'm not giving this show its fair chance to convince me. After all, it didn't let me down before, and I sobbed me a river when Ford had to leave at the end of Season 1. That said, I came to like Ronon a lot and am really glad I stayed with Atlantis so far!

Looking at the ratings for the second part of Season 3, both gives me hope for a fifth year and makes me worried because they are not as high as they could be (but also not too low). At this point there is nothing to get truly worried about IMHO.

As it is, chances do look promising for Atlantis' return next year if the ratings don't go descending into the void, and if the actors stay on the show (I don't know about contracts or anything but should one of the main cast leave for good, Skiffy might not want to test for a substitute at this stage and shut down the Gate alltogether).

Unfortunately I get the impression that Skiffy isn't promoting the show as much as they should after a seven month gap!

Too bad, there's also not much I can do about it, since I am living in Germany and have no influence on the ratings whatsoever. *is sad*

And I agree with whoever said that Season 4 will most likely have no part in the decision process of renewing Atlantis for a fifth season. Due to the long pause between airing third season's first and second part, the fourth Season premier will take place too far near the end of the year to be relevant. It's all up to the eps that are on SciFi right now!

On the other hand, I think that the network will probably give a fifth season a go anyway because there's the opportunity (as someone mentioned earlier in here) to wrap the show up with a true blast at its 100th ep's end! Skiffy will surely be considering that too.

Here's hoping for Season five and keeping my fingers crossed!
                      Twinchy---
                      sigpic
                      FanFic---------------------------------------------------Twinchy's Lair

Comment

Originally posted by twinchaosblade ½ View Post
                        I just want to throw in my two-bits on this topic as well...

As you might know (or not), I'm a bit hesitant about the changes that took place for Season 4 but there's also no way I'm not giving this show its fair chance to convince me. After all, it didn't let me down before, and I sobbed me a river when Ford had to leave at the end of Season 1. That said, I came to like Ronon a lot and am really glad I stayed with Atlantis so far!

Looking at the ratings for the second part of Season 3, both gives me hope for a fifth year and makes me worried because they are not as high as they could be (but also not too low). At this point there is nothing to get truly worried about IMHO.

As it is, chances do look promising for Atlantis' return next year if the ratings don't go descending into the void, and if the actors stay on the show (I don't know about contracts or anything but should one of the main cast leave for good, Skiffy might not want to test for a substitute at this stage and shut down the Gate alltogether).

Unfortunately I get the impression that Skiffy isn't promoting the show as much as they should after a seven month gap!

Too bad, there's also not much I can do about it, since I am living in Germany and have no influence on the ratings whatsoever. *is sad*

And I agree with whoever said that Season 4 will most likely have no part in the decision process of renewing Atlantis for a fifth season. Due to the long pause between airing third season's first and second part, the fourth Season premier will take place too far near the end of the year to be relevant. It's all up to the eps that are on SciFi right now!

On the other hand, I think that the network will probably give a fifth season a go anyway because there's the opportunity (as someone mentioned earlier in here) to wrap the show up with a true blast at its 100th ep's end! Skiffy will surely be considering that too.

Here's hoping for Season five and keeping my fingers crossed!
                        WOW great post and I agree. Things look very prommising for the show as long as the ratings don't bottom out. If the show ended on the 100th episode mark it would be a good sendoff. But here's hoping to season 5 and beyond!

Comment

Originally posted by ussrelativity View Post
                          I think Eureka is coming back in July, so it wouldn't be placed with anything related to Stargate.
                          Eureka has been referenced several times, so I have a question for the group. Eureka airs on Tuesday. What effect do you think are caused by airing on a Tuesday versus SGA airing on Friday? I personally am much more likely to be home on a Tuesday night to watch than a Friday (and I did watch Eureka last summer - found it entertaining by not nearly as good as the 'Gates).
                          sigpic
                          Sig by Luciana
                          My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffles View Post
                            Eureka has been referenced several times, so I have a question for the group. Eureka airs on Tuesday. What effect do you think are caused by airing on a Tuesday versus SGA airing on Friday? I personally am much more likely to be home on a Tuesday night to watch than a Friday (and I did watch Eureka last summer - found it entertaining by not nearly as good as the 'Gates).
                            Hmm good question. Though I'm not always home on Fridays, like this one I'll be at the Spidey 3 premiere, I always tape it. I'd say that it depends on the group, though since the gates have always been on Fridays it would hurt if they moved nights.

Comment

Problem is that:

1. Many, many people use DVR's to record programmes, and these aren't counted in the ratings.

2. Many, many people (Me and others I know) just download the latest episodes. Heard of Torrents? They showed Atlantis in Canada before America, and torrent statstics showed tens of thousands of people downloading in the first couple of hours after the latest episode aired.

3. Too big of a gap between episode 10 and 11, so people have gone off to do other things.

Television stations should start including ALL statistics, no matter where they come from - Torrents, DVR's etc. Then, we'll have a true idea of just how many people watch (I bet it's more, much more, than the 1.3 rating Atlantis got for the recent episode). StarGate is especially popular in Europe and other areas than it is in the US, no?

Comment

Originally posted by skydragon786 View Post
                                Problem is that:

1. Many, many people use DVR's to record programmes, and these aren't counted in the ratings.
                                Actually they are. Companies take dvr and tivoing into account on ratings and the statisitcs that show that "live + 7 day" arent published, however when people tivo and dvr shows and don't watch them within 7 days arent counted.

2. Many, many people (Me and others I know) just download the latest episodes. Heard of Torrents? They showed Atlantis in Canada before America, and torrent statstics showed tens of thousands of people downloading in the first couple of hours after the latest episode aired.
                                I have but it's not enough to hurt ratings IMO
                                3. Too big of a gap between episode 10 and 11, so people have gone off to do other things.
                                Agreed
                                Television stations should start including ALL statistics, no matter where they come from - Torrents, DVR's etc. Then, we'll have a true idea of just how many people watch (I bet it's more, much more, than the 1.3 rating Atlantis got for the recent episode). StarGate is especially popular in Europe and other areas than it is in the US, no?
                                Never going to happen. Nelison as well as other companies will NEVER count torrents b/c they are illegal. Stargate is popular everywhere yes but they will never count torrents as part of the ratings.

Comment

Working...
                                X