This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
    Yeah but IMO I want anything related to SG away from scifi, but that could be just as bad.
    With regards to the third series, I would prefer it to be shown via first-run syndication.

Comment

Originally posted by ussrelativity View Post
      With regards to the third series, I would prefer it to be shown via first-run syndication.
      Unforunatly it would have to reach 5 seasons first, so we would likely have to see it on scifi first.
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Unforunatly it would have to reach 5 seasons first, so we would likely have to see it on scifi first.
        What I am referring to is how ST:TNG and DS9 were shown back in the 80's and 90's.

Comment

What I am referring to is how ST:TNG and DS9 were shown back in the 80's and 90's.
          Oh got it sorry.

Comment

Yeah but IMO I want anything related to SG away from scifi, but that could be just as bad.
            Well, there isn't really anywhere else to take it.....

Comment

Oh got it sorry.
              That's okay. It would be really great to be able to see it that way. That way, more viewers in the US would have easier access to the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                Well, there isn't really anywhere else to take it.....
                True. But if scifi cans SGA lets just say I'll go

Comment

True. But if scifi cans SGA lets just say I'll go
                  I would hope in that case, that MGM produces movies for Atlantis, like how they are doing for SG-1.

Comment

Okay, WAY too early to try and predict a s5...

Though I will be surprised if ratings rise substantially over the course of 3.5. Most likely things will stay as is or worse, drop. And no, I don't think the ratings will be affected by the first airing on Canada as Joe M likes to imply. The majority of average viewers have no idea that the season has already finished there - only "hardcore" fans download the show early and they're such a small percentage they have virtually no impact on the Nielsens.

It's going to come down to the long break, whether viewers are still interested in the show, and Friday night competition on other networks.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post

Though I will be surprised if ratings rise substantially over the course of 3.5. Most likely things will stay as is or worse, drop. And no, I don't think the ratings will be affected by the first airing on Canada as Joe M likes to imply. The majority of average viewers have no idea that the season has already finished there - only "hardcore" fans download the show early and they're such a small percentage they have virtually no impact on the Nielsens.

It's going to come down to the long break, whether viewers are still interested in the show, and Friday night competition on other networks.
                      I feel that the other networks aren't worth paying attention to. If it was up to me, I'd keep a channel subscription to only a dozen or so networks.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post

I agree- the downloads are generally by fans who aren't even Neilson families to begin with. The channel doesn't give a crap about hardcore fans if they're not making money of the DVDs, they only care about the Neilson families, which is rather disappointing. Look at Eureka- not the kind of show that has the hardcore fan type, but it's a decent show that attracts regular/casual tv viewers ie. Neilson familes, which is why it does well. Atlantis on the otherhand, attracts the specific sci-fi fan viewers, a large number of whom are college/university age and aren't going to be a Neilson family. This is exactly the reason why I think BSG ratings are suffering as well- it's not that people aren't watching, it's just that the people who are watching aren't in a position to be Neilson families.

I feel that the other networks aren't worth paying attention to. If it was up to me, I'd keep a channel subscription to only a dozen or so networks.
                        I agree.....I only watch a very small number of channels on a regular basis- SPACE, Global, Sportsnet, CBC, and.....that's about it.

Comment

I am a pro-season 5 fan and I think everybody should wish here the same thing. More episode = more adventure = more fun = more life in the fandom. I would like to see the 100th Atlantis episode. I hope they will air it with the SG:U first season finale! So "fly, Atlantis, fly"!
                          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                            I am a pro-season 5 fan and I think everybody should wish here the same thing. More episode = more adventure = more fun = more life in the fandom. I would like to see the 100th Atlantis episode. I hope they will air it with the SG:U first season finale! So "fly, Atlantis, fly"!
                            That would be nice. Although I would prefer to see the third series kept away from SCIFI.

Comment

That would be nice. Although I would prefer to see the third series kept away from SCIFI.
                              Where else could they possibley shop it to that would take it? A major network would mean immeadiate death after three episodes (if that many), are there any other cable channels that might want it? To me it looks like SCI-FI and Stargate have a life-long relationship, through the good, the bad, and the ugly. There are occasional bright patches too though.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
                                They may be stupid but I don't think they are that stupid!
                                I don't know about that, Skiffy is pretty stupid.
                                Sad, but true - Skiffy is pretty stupid, which is why it's not a sure thing that they'll give SGA a 5th season. After SG-1's cancellation I checked out their lineup and didn't see anything that could generate a fraction of the long-term interest that the 10 year SG-1 achieved.

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
                                I think there will be a Season 5 for a few reasons.

One is that the SciFi channel will want bragging rights for SGA's 100th episode. Two I think that they have been making some pretty bad decisions lately regarding programming and kind of counting their chickens before they're hatched. I think they'll almost need to keep SGA on the air for a 5th season if only to seem kinda relevant and be taken seriously in any way as a sci fi network.

Three...I think the changes I'm seeing happening are exciting...and no, I don't just mean the fact that my favorite character will be moved into a new and exciting role. I'm seeing them planning on taking more chances with the characters and storylines and delve further into backstories and such. Each character will get more focus and I think there's a lot of potential with the new mix and chemistry that will form as a result of the changes.

I think it's possible that the changes will translate into better ratings but a lot is dependent on the SciFi network...and that makes me nervous. I mean it could be gold and still not be renewed because of other factors. So again I'm hoping that greed and the need to seem like a legitimate network will factor in and make them choose to renew for a fifth season.
                                I agree. The best hope for a 5th season of SGA is Skiffy's ego. I would be surprised if they didn't want the bragging rights to having 100 SGA episodes. It's too bad that we can't count on Skiffy to use sound business judgement and greenlight Season 5 because the Stargate franchise has a loyal, long-term fan base that no other show in their lineup can match, at this point. I know that Eureka is one of their babies, but with the recent ratings dive of BSG, they should now realize that early success (and extensive advertising) is no guarantee that a show will have legs - especially when they insist on mucking around with the scheduling.
                                sigpic
                                Sig by Luciana

Comment

Working...
                                X