Keller in "Missing" good or bad??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GateLadyM View Post
    Bad. The more I see her, the more I dislike her. She doesn't come across as a truly professional doctor, and all that whining, whew, I wanted to duct tape her mouth!
    I agree. I respected her before the episode but I didn't like her at all in this one and I saw several conflicts between her and Teyla I thought were interesting.

I like how they didn't make her all macho like but she came off as a complete wimp - worse than McKay. Even though she is a doctor, I found her coming off as pretty weak.
    Geral Corasjo

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      Carson and McKay started out with little or no combat skills. Missing showed that McKay can adqueatly fire a P-90. Give Keller a little time
      LOL ...he adequately fired a weapon that time, however, in one episode he ended up ejecting the clip from his sidearm instead of firing the weapon. Even considering his training since he first arrived, I wouldn't necessarily feel safe knowing McKay had a projectile weapon. When he panics, which he does often, the ability to successfully use a weapon greatly diminishes.

Keller may pick up some self-defense skills in later episodes, however, she is not wired to hurt people. She is a doctor and her first instinct is not violence or self-defense. She would end up shooting her attacker, and then providing medical aid to that same attacker. Carson was the same way. Different character/actor, same basic traits.

Comment

I cannot stand Keller and this episode just confirmed it for me however I actually see a missed opportunity that might have made me a little more sympathetic. If at any point Teyla had told her she was being a selfish little brat and then we had actually seen Keller trying to be brave, maybe not even succeeding, but at least recognising that she needed to take a little more responsibility for herself I may have had more time for her. I mean in the end she did fight back, but that was only when Teyla was no longer in a position to do anything. Being brave is not about shooting someone because you have no choice, that's survival instinct and despite what horror movies try and tell you people do not stand screaming when someone is trying to kill them, I think being brave is recognising that there are things more important than your own fear, like not endangering others because of your fear.

Comment

I really want to give her a chance, but she is getting WORSE with every single episode! Keller in Missing was annoying, condescending and whiny. She came off sounding immature, self-centred, and spoiled. You'd expect a bit more from someone, who - in her own words - "signed up to be a chief of medicine in a whole other galaxy". Which, by the way, is not quite true, as she was appointed CMO by Weir following Carson's death, and was anxiously awaiting a quick reassignment. I know that the story about visiting her father at the end was a kind of thank-you to Teyla, but considering that the Athosian just lost a village full of her people and a man she loved, it was incredibly insensitive of Keller to say that. Jewel is a good actress and I loved her in Firefly, but there's only so much she can do with the material she's given, which IMO is substandard.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
            Good, I'm glad they didn't make her unrealistically macho.
            Yeah, me too, I mean I love Beckett, but shes good too. However, I cant wait for him to return.

Comment

Originally posted by BoyNamedSue View Post
              I really want to give her a chance, but she is getting WORSE with every single episode! Keller in Missing was annoying, condescending and whiny. She came off sounding immature, self-centred, and spoiled. You'd expect a bit more from someone, who - in her own words - "signed up to be a chief of medicine in a whole other galaxy". Which, by the way, is not quite true, as she was appointed CMO by Weir following Carson's death, and was anxiously awaiting a quick reassignment. I know that the story about visiting her father at the end was a kind of thank-you to Teyla, but considering that the Athosian just lost a village full of her people and a man she loved, it was incredibly insensitive of Keller to say that. Jewel is a good actress and I loved her in Firefly, but there's only so much she can do with the material she's given, which IMO is substandard.
              Well, actually, if you work it all out properly, she had no idea what she was signing up for at all. In intruder they explained that they have to sign a blind one year commitment. The wording is slightly off and could have been better... But with all that prior knowledge of how it all works and how it happened, its easy to accept that it may have been meant that way.
              : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
              : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

Originally posted by SG13-NightOps View Post
                Well, actually, if you work it all out properly, she had no idea what she was signing up for at all. In intruder they explained that they have to sign a blind one year commitment. The wording is slightly off and could have been better... But with all that prior knowledge of how it all works and how it happened, its easy to accept that it may have been meant that way.
                I'll have to re-watch that episode, but I don't remember that specific comment. I thought that all they had to do was sign a confidentiality agreement so that they could be briefed about the position they were being considered for. I don't think they would require a blind commitment and then send someone to another galaxy without their consent. I think they let them know what they are getting into and give them the opportunity to continue to be considered for the position or withdraw themselves from consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
                  She annoyed me, but I didn't question her reaction. As I said in a post in the ep thread, common sense takes a backseat when you're in a situation and your life is in danger. Most people don't react with common sense but with instinct.

Because most people don't use their brain as adrenaline is pumping throught their veins. So her fear, I understood, her reactions, I understood. So I don't fault her reactions or actions...except maybe her blind trust for that idiot Nable. I would know for sure not to trust anyone I meet besides my crew when my crew is saying don't trust someone.
                  She did me too at first but upon more watchings she didn't annoy me one bit. As to the trusting Nabel well she had no reason not to not to mention her ethics wouldn't allow her to just leave him.
                  Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                  "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                  Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by CalmStorm View Post
                    I'll have to re-watch that episode, but I don't remember that specific comment. I thought that all they had to do was sign a confidentiality agreement so that they could be briefed about the position they were being considered for. I don't think they would require a blind commitment and then send someone to another galaxy without their consent. I think they let them know what they are getting into and give them the opportunity to continue to be considered for the position or withdraw themselves from consideration.
                    Here's that whole passage:

FLASHBACK. SGC. BRIEFING ROOM. Carson is sitting at the briefing table, going through a huge pile of personnel files.
                    BECKETT (indicating the file he’s looking at): Look at this! Four years’ relief work in the Sudan and Ethiopia; graduate studies at John Hopkins and Harvard; half a dozen research grants – oh, and she also enjoys judo, horseback riding, origami and something called base jumping.
                    WEIR: Parachuting from cliffs and tall buildings.
                    BECKETT: Oh! Of course(!)
                    WEIR: You said you wanted the best.
                    BECKETT: But all these people are more qualified than I am! How am I supposed to choose between them?
                    WEIR: Carson, you are my chief surgeon. No-one is more qualified than you. (She smiles at him. He smiles back.)
                    BECKETT: Well, I’ve managed to make a shortlist. (He hands her the list.) I was hoping you’d make the final selections.
                    WEIR (looking at the list): This is your shortlist?! (Carson smiles ruefully. She looks at the list.) Did you review the file of a Doctor Simon Wallace?
                    BECKETT: Why? He was also more qualified than I am.
                    WEIR: Why isn’t he on the list?
                    BECKETT: Well, the candidates were required to sign off on a blind commitment to a one-year term.
                    WEIR: Doctor Wallace has been given security clearance. He knows what this is all about.
                    BECKETT: Maybe that’s the problem.
                    WEIR: What do you mean?
                    BECKETT: He hasn’t signed.
                    http://www.moon-catchin.net/gatenois...heintruder.htm

Comment

Sure enough, there it is. Gateworld also has transcripts available too, including this episode at:
                      Intruder Transcript

I would be surprised if it is a totally "blind commitment." To me, I think it means, that if they go through the selection process, their blind commitment of one year, is a commitment to be able to dedicate their time for that year. To be able to walk away from their life and everything in it for a year. I would think that they would have to know at some point that they are being sent to another galaxy where life sucking aliens will threaten their very existence. If they cannot dedicate a year or do not want to, they can be removed from consideration without the need to divulge the info on assignment or the stargate.

In regards to Keller, perhaps she did take part in the blind commitment, however, it also sounds like she made a conscious commitment as well. I think anyone singing a blind commitment has two commitments to make. The initial one that is required, and then a second one to themselves and the situation once they learn what it is.
                      Last edited by CalmStorm; 15 November 2007, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yay4CarsonBeckett View Post
                        Yup my sentiments exactly. Keller sucks.

If it had been Carson there, he would have made some comment about the Bola Kai looking like extras from Br-r-r-raveheart.
                        Carson would have **** himself if the same thing had happened on his first mission off Atlantis back in the first season. It took him some time to get comfortable with the idea what leaving Atlantis can be very dangerous.
                        I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by CalmStorm View Post
                          Sure enough, there it is. Gateworld also has transcripts available too, including this episode at:
                          Intruder Transcript

I would be surprised if it is a totally "blind commitment." To me, I think it means, that if they go through the selection process, their blind commitment of one year, is a commitment to be able to dedicate their time for that year. To be able to walk away from their life and everything in it for a year. I would think that they would have to know at some point that they are being sent to another galaxy where life sucking aliens will threaten their very existence. If they cannot dedicate a year or do not want to, they can be removed from consideration without the need to divulge the info on assignment or the stargate.

In regards to Keller, perhaps she did take part in the blind commitment, however, it also sounds like she made a conscious commitment as well. I think anyone singing a blind commitment has two commitments to make. The initial one that is required, and then a second one to themselves and the situation once they learn what it is.
                          Sorry but the SGC and Atlantis is classified beyond top-secret so that means they sign off blindly then are told just what they got themsleves into. Keller included.
                          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Neither. She was GREAT! I enjoyed getting to find out a bit more about her past and how much she can handle/endure. What really had me interested was her interaction and relationship with my favorite Stargate Atlantis character; Teyla! She brings a whole new element into the show. She's new, young, fresh, unsure of herself/insecure, somewhat shy, eager, intelligent, and a little geeky. In my opinion that is a very nice combination. I think that in the short time that she has been on the show she has definately made it better and more entertaining. That's saying something considering how awesome and entertaining the show was before her character was introduced into the show!

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                              Sorry but the SGC and Atlantis is classified beyond top-secret so that means they sign off blindly then are told just what they got themsleves into. Keller included.
                              Why the need to apologize?

As far as the 'beyond top-secret' nature of the stargate that is understandable. However, plenty of people seem to be aware of the stargate and many without signing a blind commitment. The stargate is not as big a secret as it might have once been.

The bottom line is that Keller said she knew what she was signing up for. So, to me, it is entirely believable that she meant just that. From the information that has been provided, we I cannot be certain without a doubt that she had to sign a blind commitment. There are plenty of others who did not have to do so.

It is hard to imagine the SGC forcing someone to travel to another galaxy without their consent upon knowing what they would be doing. I don't see Landry, Oneill, Hammond, or any one else in that position doing such a thing. Even Weir gave everyone at the start of the journey the chance to back out of it.

I think they are just looking for someone who is willing to start out by signing a blind commitment. Someone not afraid to do such a thing. Almost a test of sorts. More importantly, to me, it seems like it is also a gauge to see if they have the ability to sign up for a year and be able to drop everything and everyone to fulfill the job.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                                WEIR (looking at the list): This is your shortlist?! (Carson smiles ruefully. She looks at the list.) Did you review the file of a Doctor Simon Wallace?
                                BECKETT: Why? He was also more qualified than I am.
                                That transcript STILL irks me. He says Aye, not Why.
                                : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
                                : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

Working...
                                X