Keller in "Missing" good or bad??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aginor37 View Post
    I mean, we had almost 3 full seasons to get to know Carson, and to see what kind of person he was through all that. Until Missing, keller probably had less than 45 minutes total screen time, nowhere near enough to get a good idea of who she is.
    When I first watched "Rising" years ago, the very first scene involving Carson hooked me, and I said, "I hope this guy is a reg - I really like him!" He was the cuddly teddy bear, who was scared of the unknown, but went on the expedition anyway. He was the "every day" person on the team for me - the only one I could really identify with. We've sceen Carson scared, but never saw him resort to being the sniveling coward!

I have yet to connect to Keller. I don't find her the least bit loveable, or even likeable. She comes across as a rather cold, clinical doctor, with very little self-worth, and the only emotion I've seen from her is when she was concerned for herself in "Missing".

I don't see this girl handling a busy trauma center with any confidence, much less engaging in space exploration and dealing with alien diseases and risk of mortal danger!

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

IGN gave it and her a not so great review:

http://blogs.ign.com/SCI-FI-BRAIN/2007/11/12/71462/

sigpic
      www.savecarsonbeckett.com
      Visit My Flickr!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jenner8675309 View Post

After a performance like that ...you need to walk the plank

Comment

From the TV.com review:

To begin with I loved Jewel Staite, in Firefly and she's been fairly good so far on Atlantis. I should say, I love Jewel Staite; period, but I found her too frail and whiny in tonight's episode.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenner8675309 View Post

Big surprise there they rarely like the show. I can't agree with a thing they said.
            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
              From the TV.com review:

To begin with I loved Jewel Staite, in Firefly and she's been fairly good so far on Atlantis. I should say, I love Jewel Staite; period, but I found her too frail and whiny in tonight's episode.
              Which is exactly how the character was supposed to be. Keller was supposed to be frail and self-doubting in the episode and if that's how people found her, then all the more credit to Jewel Staite for portraying the character that way.
              I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                Which is exactly how the character was supposed to be. Keller was supposed to be frail and self-doubting in the episode and if that's how people found her, then all the more credit to Jewel Staite for portraying the character that way.
                Bravo!
                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

It also would have been completely absurd for her to be completely calm and collected in the situation given that she's a civilian doctor. The only way I could fathom Keller reacting differently than she did would have been if she was a military doctor who had served time in Iraq or some other combat zone, treating wounded soldiers under fire.
                  I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                    Green for the common sense!

Keller did whine an awful lot - and I am happy to admit that at some points, it really grated. Yet despite the whine, she still crossed the bridge, she still ate the icky squid guts, she still saved Teyla. Great character development for Keller in this episode. One of the most realistic characters to date to boot.
                    : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
                    : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

She annoyed me, but I didn't question her reaction. As I said in a post in the ep thread, common sense takes a backseat when you're in a situation and your life is in danger. Most people don't react with common sense but with instinct.

Because most people don't use their brain as adrenaline is pumping throught their veins. So her fear, I understood, her reactions, I understood. So I don't fault her reactions or actions...except maybe her blind trust for that idiot Nable. I would know for sure not to trust anyone I meet besides my crew when my crew is saying don't trust someone.
                      Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
                        She annoyed me, but I didn't question her reaction. As I said in a post in the ep thread, common sense takes a backseat when you're in a situation and your life is in danger. Most people don't react with common sense but with instinct.

Because most people don't use their brain as adrenaline is pumping throught their veins. So her fear, I understood, her reactions, I understood. So I don't fault her reactions or actions...except maybe her blind trust for that idiot Nable. I would know for sure not to trust anyone I meet besides my crew when my crew is saying don't trust someone.
                        Well, I would have thought that the fact he was dressed like an Athosian despite the fact that Teyla advised her that he wasn't an Athosian would have sent up some red flags for her. Also I thought it was Nable. Good to see I am not losing my mind!

The whining was annoying. It was at its worst at the bridge. Just wanted to smack her. But I put that down to the fact that we have never had a great deal of exposure to the non military contingent. The most we got before that was Kavanagh, and he was a whiner too. Sometimes the best in their field is not the best in the field, and that too is to be expected.
                        : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
                        : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

I think her character had an honest reaction to the situation. It did become slightly grating with all the "I can't" talk, but seemed fairly normal for someone exposed to that situation for the first time.

I think we'll see her character grow from this and perhaps be a little more "can do" in future off-world travels. Confidence comes with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by WingedPegasus View Post
                            From my standpoint . . . not so good.

Yes, it was realistic for her to be scared, but it got pretty annoying. Teyla was getting fed up with her too. (Talking to her like she was a child, putting her hand over her mouth to make sure she didn't give them away, leaving her on the other side of the rope bridge . . .) Fortunately, she got a little better as the episode wore on, and I was pleased she had the good sense to give the Bolo Kai a false gate address. I was also happy when she shot Nebal in the leg.

Hopefully, the experience will have taught her enough about such situations that she won't be such a tactical disaster next time.
                            I could certainly see her being scared and feeling in over her head, but I think that sort of whiny-ess was ovedone. At some point (and earlier I think) self preservation should have kicked in.
                            I have liked Keller overall in the eps we've seen, though.

Comment

I quite like Keller's character overall. However, I found her whiny and annoying in 'Missing' add to that there were one or two scenes when I wasn't convinced by Jewel's acting.

Comment

Originally posted by GateLadyM View Post
                                Bad. The more I see her, the more I dislike her. She doesn't come across as a truly professional doctor, and all that whining, whew, I wanted to duct tape her mouth!
                                Yup my sentiments exactly. Keller sucks.

If it had been Carson there, he would have made some comment about the Bola Kai looking like extras from Br-r-r-raveheart.

Comment

Working...
                                X