No announcement yet.

Keller in "Missing" good or bad??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like her and I was not a fan of firefly. I liked Carson as well. Through all Kellers' fear, in the end she came through.She shot the guy in the leg leaving him alive. If the guy hadn't gotten away during them being rescued, Teyla would have had a chance to question him.
    Last edited by Atlantis1; 12 November 2007, 11:49 AM.
    "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
    'Eleanor Roosevelt'
    Individuality is freedom lived.
    'Janis Joplin'

Comment

From a realistic standpoint, her performance was good.

From my standpoint . . . not so good.

Yes, it was realistic for her to be scared, but it got pretty annoying. Teyla was getting fed up with her too. (Talking to her like she was a child, putting her hand over her mouth to make sure she didn't give them away, leaving her on the other side of the rope bridge . . .) Fortunately, she got a little better as the episode wore on, and I was pleased she had the good sense to give the Bolo Kai a false gate address. I was also happy when she shot Nebal in the leg.

Hopefully, the experience will have taught her enough about such situations that she won't be such a tactical disaster next time.
      || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

Originally posted by WingedPegasus View Post
        From a realistic standpoint, her performance was good.

From my standpoint . . . not so good.

Yes, it was realistic for her to be scared, but it got pretty annoying. Teyla was getting fed up with her too. (Talking to her like she was a child, putting her hand over her mouth to make sure she didn't give them away, leaving her on the other side of the rope bridge . . .) Fortunately, she got a little better as the episode wore on, and I was pleased she had the good sense to give the Bolo Kai a false gate address. I was also happy when she shot Nebal in the leg.

Hopefully, the experience will have taught her enough about such situations that she won't be such a tactical disaster next time.
        i loved him when she shot nebal she turned all bad ass and jumped on him woooooo go keller did you see her face it was wicked and hallrious
        sigpic
        [[[[[Dr Keller]][[For Ever]]]]]

Comment

If anyone thinks that was cowardice, you haven't lived. Considering the situation, I think she did herself proud not to freak out. Sounds like some people watch too much TV...

Comment

Great. I was skeptical at first but when I saw her in First Strike she seemed prommising and I went into season 4 with high hopes and I havent been disapointed. She is a great character and has been growing constantly. Almost have forgotten about Carson.
            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

The only whimpy bit I can see about Keller is that she doesn't have much faith in herself and seems to constantly question her position and whether or not she's suited for it.

Her character, however, is quite believable... not all Doctors are epicly brave, seriously stoic or macho.

During the wilderness survival scenes, I could really relate to her character in the way that she was afraid and defenseless in the woods. I enjoyed being able to relate to her feelings and felt her acting and reactions to be very genuine.

The character has different sides to her in different situations. When she calls up the courage, she can do great things. I have faith in her as a developing character and addition to the Atlantis expidition.

Comment

From the perspective of someone outside looking in (this is my first actual post here, though I have been lurking for over a month now) it really does seem that people have somewhat of an unrealistic view on Keller.

I mean, we had almost 3 full seasons to get to know Carson, and to see what kind of person he was through all that. Until Missing, keller probably had less than 45 minutes total screen time, nowhere near enough to get a good idea of who she is. Even after Missing, it seems too soon to make an accurate judgment as to how well she fits in, both in terms of "in the show" and as one of the characters.

Personally, I found her performance in Missing to be pretty much spot on considering what we have seen of her so far. I will go one further and say that her responses are pretty much exactly what we would have seen from Beckett or McKay in the 5th or 6th episodes of season one. Keep in mind, the same Beckett that became such a strong character before the end also whined and complained about having to help the Athosians secure their village before the hurricane. Heck, Teyla had pretty much the same "I am so about to smack you" look on her face during Keller's "Oh no, too high" tirade that she had with Beckett's "I'm not wearing the right boots for this" whine.

Another thing the two have in common is the huge difference in how they respond to stress in offworld situation vs. how they respond to stress in medical emergencies. In the sickbay, they are in their element and in control; Outside they are as helpless in unknown situations as any relatively sheltered civilian (which non batlefield doctors certainly qualify as)

I do have to say that it's refreshing to see a civilian not turn into a gun-toting hero from exposure to the main team. I liked that she was vulnerable, scared witless and completely out of her element. At the end when she jumps the wraith worshipper, you can almost see the "That's it, I just snapped!" on her face, where she has gone about as far as she is willing to and she is going to lose it.

In the end, I guess I feel like she is doing well so far, but being about 3 seasons behind the rest of the crew in terms of character development makes it harder to relate to her than it should be. If she is going to stick around and be a real part of the group, more episodes will need to be focused on developing her.

Comment

I think Keller was very interesting in this episode. Yes, the whining was annoying, but she was just in way over her head. Since the moment Weir promoted her, she's felt overloaded. I mean, here she was, on a simple "house call" with candies, and then she's being chased by cannibals. That'd be a little much for anyone.
                  I like the non-machoness of SGA. On SG1, everyone was military (except Daniel). There's a mentality associated with that in regards to all the personnel that would be on the show. On SGA, they can explore more character types, like Keller, and we can watch them grow. That's what dedicated viewers look for, I think.
                  sigpic

Comment

The last three posts are all green worthy.
                    I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

I really like Jewel's character and think she's a lot like Carson was in season 1, a brilliant doctor but unsure of herself whenever she goes off world. This was i think the first time we've seen her off world and on a mission and i think she did pretty well. I hope they continue to develop Keller like this and not just write her off when Carson comes back.

Comment

i like her and what she brings to the show, i also thought her to be spot on in mission. she was out of her element and in a situation that she wasn't prepared for how is she suppose to act.

if keller would have gone an rambo on us it would have been unbelievabe

Comment

Definitely good! I think she was very realistic, and she was the perfect character to balance Teyla. She showed real growth by the end of the episode. Hey, she Shot the man she'd just stitched up the night before. Honestly, Keller is becoming one of my very favorite characters. I almost feel like a trader for saying it. I mean I hate that Carson isn't around, and I'd love to see an ascended Carson in as many episodes as possible.
                          Last edited by Gate gal; 12 November 2007, 09:08 PM.

Comment

I really liked it- Keller went though a great character journey throughout the episode which was exactly what she needed at this point. We now know her and who she is. Who wouldn't love her at the sight of that giant jar of lollipops? I wanted to giver her a hug right there she was so awesome!

And throughout the ep.....sure Keller whined, but really, she was a trooper and by the end I was just thrilled when she fought that guy and got the gun, because she earned that scene and that moment.

I really loved the duo of Keller and Teyla- nicely contrasting, and two awesome ladies! I hope to see more of them on screen together in the future.

My only tiny nit-pick was that I though JS's acting was a bit off in a couple of scenes- mainly right before the bridge (maybe they shot that scene first or separate from the rest of the ep?), but throughout the rest she was fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by nekoi View Post
                              The only whimpy bit I can see about Keller is that she doesn't have much faith in herself and seems to constantly question her position and whether or not she's suited for it.
                              That's the problem I have with her. The IOC, or Stargate Command, or whoever is doing the hiring for the Atlantis program, has the ability to pick the cream of the crop, the absolute BEST to go live off world, knowing completely that they may not make it home, especially since Atlantis has been invaded before. Why would anyone hire Keller? A very young girl, with little experience, and no self-confidence in herself? It astounds me that she was given this post!

Carson was a chicken, yes, but he had also worked in Antarctica, and for the military and was well schooled in the Ancients, aliens, the whole Gate program. He was a nervous dude, but he did the work, and he wasn't a whiny wimp like Keller.

Comment

I wish the Wraith end up eating her

Comment

Working...
                                X