Weir in Adrift and Lifeline (Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
    Weir is not the momma any more and that is a good sign. Too bad they gave her a good part now when she got the boot .
    She'll be back!
    My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa
      She has four episodes. That's it.. All this "Oh, she'll be back" business is wishful thinking.

I highly doubt she'll ever be back on the show after her four episodes.

Brad Wright originally said she'd be back "for some time" in a recurring role. That "some time" seem to add up to four episodes, which sucks, because Weir is a way more interesting character than certain others.
      Actually you are half right. All we know is she is in four of the first half we have no idea if she will be in any of the others. JM refuses to say. As to the wishfull thinking mabey but she might stay on as a recurring character. Only time will tell.
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa
        She has four episodes. That's it.. All this "Oh, she'll be back" business is wishful thinking.

I highly doubt she'll ever be back on the show after her four episodes.

Brad Wright originally said she'd be back "for some time" in a recurring role. That "some time" seem to add up to four episodes, which sucks, because Weir is a way more interesting character than certain others.
        I wonder if she will die in the end.

Let's think back to when she first appeared on the show she was the blonde politician who couldn't believe it when she was told there was a Stargate program. Eventually, she led her own Stargate program, and 3 years later became part Replicator, and then disappeared indefinately.

I think on the course of 3 seasons she had adequate evolution. More than Teyla anyway.
        My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

Originally posted by metabog View Post
          I wonder if she will die in the end.

Let's think back to when she first appeared on the show she was the blonde politician who couldn't believe it when she was told there was a Stargate program. Eventually, she led her own Stargate program, and 3 years later became part Replicator, and then disappeared indefinately.

I think on the course of 3 seasons she had adequate evolution. More than Teyla anyway.
          But you know, the writers were saying it was cool to bring Carter over because she was an established character- ten seasons worth of development, yet she gets heaps of opportunities to continue in SGA and the movies. So while I get your point about evolution [and when you timeline her like that- whoa!], it seems unfair that this is all she gets.

And you've said what I go on about: the lack of Teyla development! She's the one out in the field and yet I noticed Weir more in her 'sitting in the office/angsting in the gate room' scenes. Then comes Adrift, where Weir's in a coma for all but two minutes, yet I STILL remember her few lines more clearly than anything else Teyla did. And same with Lifeline, where Weir's out in the field, doing her thing- compare her mission role with Teyla's three years worth of missions and they are on such uneven playing fields in terms of character depth and visibility [to me, anyway, I get that my slight obsession might obscure my vision, lol].

I just think it's ironic that the writers really start cranking out the good stuff and splurging their talent on a character they're writing out anyway.
          'I am frightened that the flame of hate will burn me
          will scorch my pride, scar my heart
          It will burn and I cannot put it out...'

Sig by Falcon Horus- thank you!

my LJ of squee *myspace of angst * my fic of random

My OTP forever, by Stef, who is awesome:
          Spoiler:

Thanks, Stef!

Comment

My feeling is that after Weir puts in her four appearances, she'll be history. I don't *think* they'll kill her, but with TPTB's track record, who knows? She might get displaced... just lost somewhere, not on Atlantis, perhaps not wanting to return as the OIA or IOA or whoever will go "danger will robinson danger, she's got nannites in her" and will always consider her a risk. I could accept that better than just 'out of sight out of mind' or blowing her up (again).

Weir was good in both "Adrift" and "LIfeline" and I always wonder why the writers can do great exits for characters, but for the life of them can't decently write the characters for the rest of the season...

Comment

Originally posted by borgprincess View Post
              But you know, the writers were saying it was cool to bring Carter over because she was an established character- ten seasons worth of development, yet she gets heaps of opportunities to continue in SGA and the movies. So while I get your point about evolution [and when you timeline her like that- whoa!], it seems unfair that this is all she gets.

And you've said what I go on about: the lack of Teyla development! She's the one out in the field and yet I noticed Weir more in her 'sitting in the office/angsting in the gate room' scenes. Then comes Adrift, where Weir's in a coma for all but two minutes, yet I STILL remember her few lines more clearly than anything else Teyla did. And same with Lifeline, where Weir's out in the field, doing her thing- compare her mission role with Teyla's three years worth of missions and they are on such uneven playing fields in terms of character depth and visibility [to me, anyway, I get that my slight obsession might obscure my vision, lol].

I just think it's ironic that the writers really start cranking out the good stuff and splurging their talent on a character they're writing out anyway.
              But if the writers hadn't utilised Weir's screen time effectively, no doubt that they'd get slammed for it somewhere down the line, saying that this was her opportunity to shine, this was her storyline, but she wasn't used. It's a double edged sword sometimes. I agree with you about Teyla though, i'm hoping that this will be rectified and from the bits of seen, she will have a bigger arc and storyline. I do miss the Teyla of season 1 where her screen time was more balanced and am hoping that in S4 we'll get to see that back.

I understand your feelings on the irony, although I don't share them. Weir's primary role has been diplomat/guardian/gatekeeper of Atlantis, so her 'role' primarily from my stand point was never going to be up front and center. It wasn't that way in SG1, so for me her role in SGA was how it should be. With that said, the few times she's gone off world, it's created a nice little Arc for her.

The Asuran storyline is something I didn't see coming and it's been a nice continuity arc for her character. This storyline will effectively open the door for lots more stories, some may focus on their search for Elizabeth others, not so much. But what I loved about this episode is to see how far she would go for the team, how cleverly she utilised the nanites and gained control of the city when she needed to save her team. I liked the fact that she pushed aside her own mortality in favour of doing what's right. When she told Sheppard to kill her when/if it became necessary, she had no doubts, no hesitations and she knew the team would comply. I do wonder if the 'kill switch' will be used from a distance (if it hasn't been reprogrammed) and I like the idea that we don't know what the Asurans are going to use her form. So when she next shows up, will she be traumatised? Will she be integrated into the 'collective'. Will she be the leader of the commuity? Is she going to be the next main enemy, and how the team will deal with those issues interests me.

Comment

Originally posted by female Wraith View Post
                I was surprised by the way they got rid off her. And I didn't like it. As a matter of fact these two episodes were awlful. I don't understand how JM could describe them as something that will become the favourite of the fans! I am a fan and I didn't like them.

I am ok with Weir and nanniets, but to leave her so easy?? They were just a few meters aways when she screamed to Sheppard and Ronon to go. Why Sheppard din't try to resque her? Did only Rodney care about Weir? If it was left to Sheppard's decision she would have died from her injures. Somehow the way Sheppard acted in Adrift - she is better dead, then with naniets and his other action in Lifeline - to leave her - did not cover the image that was built for him in Season 1 - Season 3.

Yea, I know some of those that watched and liked the two episodes will say Weir ordered Sheppard to leave her, but since when he has followed her orders without questions?? I hope the other 2 episodes in which Weir will be to be better than that.
                That was a self less act on his part.

Comment

Originally posted by borgprincess View Post

Well I think opinions will vary a lot as to who thought which character was the most interesting and who left the most impression, so lets not go there and stick to the topic at hand. The writers decided to write Weir out of the show and I think they did a fairly good job of it. Weir finally had some purpose and her presence made a difference and it was interesting to see. But I don't think this storyline could be kept up through the whole of season four, so again it would be difficult to give her a purpose to remain full time on the show. But it has made it possible for Weir to be recurring and only time will tell as to how often she returns to the show.

Weir was given plenty of opportunity to shine... whole ep dedicated to her in TRW so I don't think it's the first time she has been given good stuff .. but she still never drew me in. At the end of the day tptb decided that she didn't fit into the direction they were taking the show but at least they gave her a great send off.
                  sigpic

Comment

I agree that Weir had at lease one ep each season that was dedicated to her. And that's all well and good, considering they're so hard to come by when the focus is on Sheppard and McKay a majority of the time.

That said, I think we got to see more about Sheppard and McKay's integrity, weaknesses and foibles without having to have an episode dedicated to them. That's mainly because they're seen in action all the time.

Instead of having a handful of eps that focused on Weir, it would've been good to see some more depth in the action episodes where she had to make tough decisions. TH mentioned more than once I believe that there were some decisions Weir made that would have greatly affected her - yet I don't think they touched on those.

These two eps showcased more of TH's talent and Weir's actual character than many of the other episodes. I'm glad it worked out that way, and I hope she plays an integral part in the midseason two-parters.
                    Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 18 September 2007, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
                      I think this storyline for Weir has to mean she won't be around as much. If Rodney found a way to deactivate the nanites and get Weir healed, then she'd be back to the same charaacter as before, and clearly, for whatever reason TPTB had, they didn't want that, which is why Weir has been reduced in the first place, I suppose. She couldn't be in charge of Atlantis in her current state, or even be a member of the team because the IOA would deem her a security risk. I think as a recurring character, there is the potential for Torri to get her teeth into some great stuff, while also having a good arc running through the series. I do see your frustration though and sympathise
                      I can understand that, definitely, and you're right about her not being able to be a part of Atlantis in that state. Although a part of me feels like it's not all that different than Teyla's situation with the Wraith, except for the fact that Weir can communicate with the Asurans over large distances. And I think that she could be a strong asset to the team. She proved that she can help them out big time with the use of her abilities - so long as she could find a way to avoid the Asurans digging into her mind. Unfortunately, you're all too right about the IOA... although I've hated them since day one anyways, so they can take a flying leap as far as I'm concerned.

I guess I was speaking more generally. The point I was trying to make is that they had the ability to think up great ways to get her more involved... but never really did so until the end.
                      "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
                      My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Originally posted by freetoken View Post
                        IMO, the first two episodes have some of Tori's best work in the series.

Never was a big fan of the character, or of Tori's interpretation of her, but the first two episode arc are as much about her as anything.
                        Really? I thought the two episode had some of the weakest acting on all involved parties' part that I've ever seen in the show.

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
                        I think this storyline for Weir has to mean she won't be around as much. If Rodney found a way to deactivate the nanites and get Weir healed, then she'd be back to the same charaacter as before, and clearly, for whatever reason TPTB had, they didn't want that, which is why Weir has been reduced in the first place, I suppose. She couldn't be in charge of Atlantis in her current state, or even be a member of the team because the IOA would deem her a security risk. I think as a recurring character, there is the potential for Torri to get her teeth into some great stuff, while also having a good arc running through the series. I do see your frustration though and sympathise
                        They could have reduced her role in a way that a) wasn't a complete copy of what they've done with Ford and therefore would have benefited some originality, and b) had a bit more of risk taking story-wise. This way, tehy're getting rid of a problem. They want to reduce TH's part to recurring - and by recurring, I mean occasionaly guest starring - and they do it by finding a way for a character that doesn't want to go anywhere to have to go without killing her. I mean, come on. They could have reduced the character by, I dunno, causing limited brain damage that would make her unable to function as base leader but still useful enough to keep around in Atlantis, that way you get both the opportunity to bring in a new leader and reduce TH to recurring and give her enough substential storyline, an abiloty to see her every once in a while and a real challenge to both her acting abilioties and their writing skills. Or I'm sure there are 1001 other possibilities they could have used. They went for safe and boring, and mainly safe, because now they can forget Weir the same way they forgot Ford.
                        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                        Yes, I am!
                        sigpic
                        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

ok if you watched the previews, theres something about Weir and the nanites

so am i to understand that Weir becomes the Bionic Woman now???

i know they said they were going to do a remake of that show

also the new planet is cool, i didnt think i would like it but i like the really alien look to it and plus i hope the wraith in this region of space are vastly different to the ones over by the original planet, because they were very warrior like and perhaps these wraith out here could be more treacherous and weird, like some sort of HILL BILLY wraith

any thoughts
                          please comment

Comment

Well i don't think anyone can disagree with you there , shes officially part Repli ... and apparently can do all they can and better

As for the new planet i also thought it was pretty cool loved that last seen with the moon(s) was pretty cool and the sortive green sky.

as for your hill billy wraith ...... seems very far out there but then again this is stargate so i wouldn't put it past them.

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                              Really? I thought the two episode had some of the weakest acting on all involved parties' part that I've ever seen in the show.
                              Yes, really. More believable on the Weir character (not so sure about the others, but at least for Weir.) Too often the acting on SGA is, to me, a bit over the top (=trying to hard.) Commonly in past episodes (and one of by beefs with SGA) the charcters are too snarky, too... whatever, they are trying to be too much. Real life is usually more laid back, subtle, and suggestive and not demonstrative. That is what I got from Tori in the first two episodes here... more reality. Perhaps because in real life her role on the show is disappearing, the emotions from that spilled over into the character's imminent demise...

So, cheers for Tori...

One note... be careful of being influenced by lack of music and sound effects in the review copies. It makes the whole viewing experience a little less prone to the adrenaline rush. You may have more of an emotive experience when you watch the final version.

<snip> They could have reduced the character by, I dunno, causing limited brain damage that would make her unable to function as base leader but still useful enough to keep around in Atlantis, that way you get both the opportunity to bring in a new leader and reduce TH to recurring and give her enough substential storyline, an abiloty to see her every once in a while and a real challenge to both her acting abilioties and their writing skills.
                              That sounds like it would be very difficult to do in a show like SGA. Since SGA tends to be an action heavy fantasy/SciFi show with a target audience that is probably not honed for long, possibly introspective, melodrama your idea probably wouldn't be so popular with the ratings. Even on SG-1, the writers had to lighten the burden of Janet's death by having her keep coming back via alternate realities, and also in lightening Daniels radiation sickness with his "ascension." If they had made Weir a vegetable (or near one) and kept her that way it would probably be too heavy a dose of reality for the show's life. Even if they had merely made her slightly mentally damage that would have been too much. After all, how many (permanently) handicapped characters have we seen on SGA/SG-1 before? These are shows portraying healthy and often beautiful people, not hard doses of reality.

Comment

Really? I thought the acting from everyone was absolutely wonderful. Some of the best acting I've seen on the show, in fact. Certainly in terms of emotional expression, frustration, anger, bravery and deep friendship.

They could have reduced her role in a way that a) wasn't a complete copy of what they've done with Ford and therefore would have benefited some originality, and b) had a bit more of risk taking story-wise. This way, tehy're getting rid of a problem. They want to reduce TH's part to recurring - and by recurring, I mean occasionaly guest starring - and they do it by finding a way for a character that doesn't want to go anywhere to have to go without killing her. I mean, come on. They could have reduced the character by, I dunno, causing limited brain damage that would make her unable to function as base leader but still useful enough to keep around in Atlantis, that way you get both the opportunity to bring in a new leader and reduce TH to recurring and give her enough substential storyline, an abiloty to see her every once in a while and a real challenge to both her acting abilioties and their writing skills. Or I'm sure there are 1001 other possibilities they could have used. They went for safe and boring, and mainly safe, because now they can forget Weir the same way they forgot Ford.
                                I'm sorry, but I absolutely don't want to see a brain-damaged Weir. That would be absolutely awful for the character, in my opinion No way, would a person with brain damage we allowed to stay on a high risk expedition like Atlantis. Not just that, significant brain injury takes months of specialist care to overcome. People who've had brain surgery are on anti-epileptic drugs for a long time afterwards for starters, which cause problems in themselves. That's just one example of why that wouldn't work. Would I want to see an arc for Weir where we see her battle with her disability? Absolutely not. Atlantis isn't ER or a drama show of that sort.

I don't actually think so far, Weir's storyline is like Ford's per se. Though, of course, we haven't seen TMC yet.

Weir was a prisoner of war when we last saw her, Ford ran off hyped up on enzyme, having being altered personality wise by that powerful drug. He went rogue. So far that hasn't happened to Weir. Her story was heroic and self-sacrificing. She sacrificed herself to save the team and Atlantis knowing what it would mean for her. So, as far as I'm concerned the two storylines, as yet, aren't even similar, other than they're both 'out there' somewhere and not on Atlantis.

I have no problem saying Weir has never been my favourite character as leader of Atlantis, but I really liked her part in Lifeline, particularly. I felt sad at her situation, and admired her courage, and I have never felt that way about her before. If this storyline means when she comes back that she plays a similar role, evoking heartache and pain for the team as well as being the instigator of a good story, then I'll be happy. I'm actually now in the position of finding myself looking forward to seeing what her role is in TMC. Is she going to be 'bad'? Will there be some humanity left there? Will her integration into the 'collective' humanise the Asurans? Will them incorporating Weir into their society have far reaching effects for them that they haven't seen coming? The potential is there for something really exciting to happen with this character, I believe.

If a character is to be written out from the regular cast, or reduced, for whatever reason, I can't think of a better and more sympathetic storyline personally.
                                Last edited by Linzi; 19 September 2007, 12:44 AM. Reason: typos
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X