Weir in Adrift and Lifeline (Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
    When I had heard about that scene, that's exactly what crossed my mind. We know as of now that if Weir is taken over by nanites they won't killer or anything of that nature...since we have been given nothing to say that the Asurans kill those who are like them. They would most likely reprogram her, but at that point we could have McKay working up on a backdoor method to alter those nanites and sort of bring back the "old Weir" (if we can call her that---at this point her memories as weir are sort of like imbedded memory programs--"undeletable cookies"). At least she still has a chance and it would give the team to organize and then try to rescue her...I also heard the nanite guns stopped working...they were definitely in need of a retreat and attack later.
    She's too valuable to them to kill her. All along i've wondered why they see them (Atlantis) as such a threat, and so for me, this gives the writers a chance to explore that. The only thing I'm concerned with is that with her being joined into the collective (maybe) they would have access to all her memories of Earth etc, and can become an even bigger problem than the Wraith. it's not so much a concern about an ep, more what they're going to do with that information. Maybe behind the scenes we'll see Rodney working on the 'kill switch' to find out what went wrong. It's possible that given the time frame they were able to override the switch. Hopefully Rodney as you said put in a back door, and we'll see the fruits of his labour.

But, for me, the team had no alternative but to retreat. Outgunned, out manned and against a ticking clock. It wouldn't have been a wise move to try any attempts at rescue. They had the ZPM at their disposal, Atlantis was hours away from disaster and that was their priority.

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
    Thanks Skydiver for opening this thread! Finally somewhere to discuss this storyline!

I liked Weir's arc here. What I liked most is that she sacrificed herself to save the team. No doubts, no hesitation. She ordered Sheppard to go and save himself and his team, and he obeyed her order. It was an heroic exit, and not meaningless or random in any way. She went up in my estimation for being so selfless.

I really liked that she beat Oberoth at his own game. I had no idea that the scenario where the team were captured was a creation by Weir in Oberoth's head, and I liked her strength of mind and character here. It was a great twist.

I loved the look of horror on Weir's face when she understood what Rodney had done by re-activating the nanites. She honestly would rather have died, I think. I liked that Sheppard knew that much about her, and didn't want her to have to endure the nanites taking over parts of her body, so she couldn't live if they weren't activated. He knew she'd hate that and she did. Weir didn't want to be a risk and the security and safety of Atlantis was her first priority at all times. That was good to see.

Her capture didn't surprise me, but I was glad she didn't go bad or turn against the team. She looked helpless and over-powered and that was sad to see, but I like that.
    Great points. I agree, there were so many things about this ep that I loved and got me very excited to see where they go from here. That for me what you've mentioned is a pivitol point, Weir sacrificing herself for her people shows how far she would go for her team. That's one thing we haven't seen so far in SGA, just how far she would go to make sure her people live. To me it made her character that much more interesting. The whole Oberon scene surprised me and was a great plot twist. I do wonder if she will be integrated or they'll just use her to gai information about her team, their strategy's, Earth etc. And that ep for me has opened a whole realm of possibilities.

What made it for me was the sheer desperation of the team and her situation, it was very touching. And the Ronon scene, and Shep's look made me grab the tissues.

Comment

Wow, Weir was useful for once. I was honestly surprised that she played that big of a role in these episodes (especially the 2nd one). I guess the writers wanted to give her the goodbye she really deserved (?)

I just wish they would've killed her off completely OR completely cured her from the nanites. I didn't like the whole human-replicator hybrid thing because it is too much like what happened with Ford. Also, this means that we're going to get even more replicator episodes in the future which I'm not liking.

But as we know, characters never REALLY die on Stargate.

And, yes I did chuckle when they shaved her hair off (sue me), of course it wasn't permanent (curse you reset button).

Even though Weir has never been my favorite character I was still kind of sad to see her go. I mean she's been in SGA from the beginning so in that way I do respect her.
      We're whalers on the moon,
      We carry a harpoon.
      But there ain't no whales
      So we tell tall tales
      And sing our whaling tune.

Comment

Were we watching the same thing? How was it anything like Reckoning? The 7 of 9 thing, there are similarities, granted, but did you honestly see this coming? As for the killing off of characters, isn't it nice that they get a meaty story arc before their departure? And why would you want them to kill weir off?
        I might be wrong with the episode title, but didn't Daniel Jackson do the same thing Weir did? Daniel controls and freezes the replicators so our good guys can do their job, Weir controls and freezes the replicators so ,once again, our good guys can finish the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
          I liked that Ronon tried to shoot down Oberoth, but they became resist to gun fire too. So they could do nothing for her there.

I liked the Sheppard wanted to transport back Weir with Apollo, so he didn't give up.

We should wait 4x03 to get whole picture about Weir's fate and Carter's "real" arriving.
          Agreed. There may be no mention in Reunion, but I think there will be in that or Doppelganger. We also don't know which is Weir's 3rd episode. We know her fourth, but not her third.
          Originally posted by Pegasus_SGA View Post
          She's too valuable to them to kill her. All along i've wondered why they see them (Atlantis) as such a threat, and so for me, this gives the writers a chance to explore that. The only thing I'm concerned with is that with her being joined into the collective (maybe) they would have access to all her memories of Earth etc, and can become an even bigger problem than the Wraith. it's not so much a concern about an ep, more what they're going to do with that information. Maybe behind the scenes we'll see Rodney working on the 'kill switch' to find out what went wrong. It's possible that given the time frame they were able to override the switch. Hopefully Rodney as you said put in a back door, and we'll see the fruits of his labour.

But, for me, the team had no alternative but to retreat. Outgunned, out manned and against a ticking clock. It wouldn't have been a wise move to try any attempts at rescue. They had the ZPM at their disposal, Atlantis was hours away from disaster and that was their priority.

Great points. I agree, there were so many things about this ep that I loved and got me very excited to see where they go from here. That for me what you've mentioned is a pivitol point, Weir sacrificing herself for her people shows how far she would go for her team. That's one thing we haven't seen so far in SGA, just how far she would go to make sure her people live. To me it made her character that much more interesting. The whole Oberon scene surprised me and was a great plot twist. I do wonder if she will be integrated or they'll just use her to gai information about her team, their strategy's, Earth etc. And that ep for me has opened a whole realm of possibilities.

What made it for me was the sheer desperation of the team and her situation, it was very touching. And the Ronon scene, and Shep's look made me grab the tissues.
          I've never seen how far Weir would go for the team and expedition before either. We all know about Shep, Ronon et al. But Weir? Nope. I liked that she cares so passionately about them all. It's all well and good thinking that she does, but actually seeing it first hand was great! It did give Weir new depths, I agree
          sigpic

Comment

I thought it was fine. I didn't expect the other characters to freak out or sob over Weir's demise, because they've been at this job for going on four years. They're definitely used to loss and pain and death. This is nothing new, and they're accustomed to having to move on.

As long as they continue to mention her in eps where Weir is not featured, I'll be OK. If the characters continue to show that they care about her even when she's not in the episode, it'll show that that they haven't forgotten about her.

The eps felt rushed in many ways - a lot of info shoved in 42 minutes a piece. But they were still good.

Sheppard, McKay, Ronon and Teyla all expressed their concern for Liz's well-being, her safety and state of mind. They each had moments with her amongst all of the action, and I'm glad they took the time. That moment between Teyla and Ronon at the end of Lifeline was very poignant, as was Sheppard's affirmation at the end.

Rodney showed his concern throughout the whole episode, and I'm glad the actors and writers pulled it off without it seeming OTT. If the characters had allowed their feelings for Weir to distract them from the purpose of their mission, it would've be unrealistic. These are professionals who know what they're doing and who can get the job done beyond their personal feelings. At the same time, they're not giving up hope.

I think was handled well. But, as others have said, Reunion and Doppelganger will be the real tests.

Comment

So, please, don't be sad. The writers can find a solution to save her if they want. Never forget, that SG is only a television show and it's not worth to hate each other because of the series.
              The big question here however is -> Are they willing to bring her back for more?

Her capture didn't surprise me, but I was glad she didn't go bad or turn against the team. She looked helpless and over-powered and that was sad to see, but I like that.
              Probably something we have yet to see. -speculation- But since TPTB used Ford as a reference, I take it evilness isn't that far off.

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
              As long as they continue to mention her in eps where Weir is not featured, I'll be OK. If the characters continue to show that they care about her even when she's not in the episode, it'll show that that they haven't forgotten about her.
              Plot-driven, not character-driven -> Which basicaly means they won't even mention her. -speculation- I suppose they will, but as soon as episode 4 has passed, so has she.

I loved the little scenes between the actors... Teyla/Liz-moments have definitely let loose some of my more rabid plotbunnies. The scene at the end of Lifeline between Ronon and Teyla was nice. It was nice to see the latter cleaning out Elizabeth's office. At least it shows there was friendship and respect, albeit we as viewers had to insert all that bonding off-screen or in fanfic.

Adrift was a very boring episode. Have nothing to say about it.
              Lifeline had only one "Didn't see that one coming moment" and that was when Elizabeth tricked Oberoth. See Sheppard morph in Elizabeth was weird.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                See Sheppard morph in Elizabeth was weird.
                Yes, I'd agree. That was really weird.
                sigpic

Comment

Yes, I'd agree. That was really weird.
                  I actually jumped back a little. I was literally pressed against the screen of my laptop.

Comment

I actually jumped back a little. I was literally pressed against the screen of my laptop.
                    I jumped too! It took me by surprise, but also seeing Shep as a girl and Weir as a man was totally strange!
                    sigpic

Comment

That was an interesting twist with her tricking Oberoth. I didn't realize it until she started to morph from Sheppard to herself. I like the twist they did on her leaving. I'm glad it wasn't just her dying or getting replaced. The idea behind it is also interesting. I do hope that they use the opportunity and not throw it all away after her fourth episode, like they did with Ford, who also had four episodes as recurring.
                      Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                      encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                      3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                      4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                      5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

I liked that Ronon tried to shoot down Oberoth, but they became resist to gun fire too. So they could do nothing for her there.

I liked the Sheppard wanted to transport back Weir with Apollo, so he didn't give up.

We should wait 4x03 to get whole picture about Weir's fate and Carter's "real" arriving.

Hmm, more like 4x04, 4x10.... I do, however, get the feeling they will 'pull a Ford' and Weir will vanish after her last appearance. Out of sight out of mind, y'know?

Comment

Yeah, the "we will find her, if she lives" sentence is very similar to Ford.

I haven't said she will be in 4x03. I think she will appear in 4x10-4x11.
                          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Yeah, the "we will find her, if she lives" sentence is very similar to Ford.
                            TPTB's wouldn't have referenced her situation to Ford if they weren't planning on doing the exact same stunt.

I haven't said she will be in 4x03. I think she will appear in 4x10-4x11.
                            Which contradicts what JM said about Weir only being in the first half of the season, and 411 is the second half.

Comment

TPTB's wouldn't have referenced her situation to Ford if they weren't planning on doing the exact same stunt.

Which contradicts what JM said about Weir only being in the first half of the season, and 411 is the second half.
                              TPTB are stuck with the problem of they can't kill Weir. SciFi producers have learned that permanently killing a regular is bad. Fans don't like it. Nope, not at all. Leaving a character in limbo/flux/whatever gives the illusion you can always bring 'em back (sort of like Beckett, although I have no idea how they'll bring him back in a realistic manner). Seeing as how TPTB felt the need to get rid of Weir (I can't recall the exact quote), I don't see her coming back fulltime and we'll be lucky if we see her in season five, if there is one.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                                TPTB are stuck with the problem of they can't kill Weir. SciFi producers have learned that permanently killing a regular is bad. Fans don't like it. Nope, not at all. Leaving a character in limbo/flux/whatever gives the illusion you can always bring 'em back (sort of like Beckett, although I have no idea how they'll bring him back in a realistic manner). Seeing as how TPTB felt the need to get rid of Weir (I can't recall the exact quote), I don't see her coming back fulltime and we'll be lucky if we see her in season five, if there is one.
                                Personally I hate it more when they leave a character of which they don't have the intention of keeping them around, hanging in limbo, then that they would just kill it and be done with it.

That illusion burst a long time ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X