Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season 4 & Teyla Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i am absolutley certain that the baby is alien so i dont think they will keep it on the base long
    Sig Bye Me and Avi bye Luciana

Comment

This will be a little long but.
      I am not a shipper being a 66 year old retired USAF bomb disposal tech, but.
      Now is the chance for the writers to break out of the "comic book mould" that so much sci-fi TV is in. Some of the most vocal fans seem to think the show is a 1930's B western; the hero kisses his horse instead of the girl and his only job is to kick alien butt and do other manly pursuits.
      As i see it, there is several ways teyls's pregnancy could be treated.

A. She was inseminated by some horrible alien race and the child will be a monster who grows up in 3 days and tries to take over the universe. God I hope not, every sci-fi TV show has done it at least once, so been there-done that. This option justs says that the writers can't use of a new idea when it drops in their laps.

B. The kid is the result of a marriage/relationship with someone in her tribe. she is the heireditary leader and her duty is to wed/get pregnant so the tribes future is assured. The writers have her birth the kid who immediately gets handed to some "wise village elder" for rearing and she immediately gets back to kicking alien butt. Both of these options say that a woman getting pregnant is strange and unnatural and the kid is something to be gotton rid of ASAP.

Third possibility, and the one I think the writers are taking; The daddy is one of the guys on the show. After her upcoming birth was announced, I started looking for clues. My guess; the candidate for upcoming daddydom is Shepard. Ronon has taken himself out of the race, Rodney has a personality that no woman could take for long,the doc is dead and the writers have been dropping subtle hints lately about Shep/tyela.

a few random thouights; Teyla, Ronon, Teal'c are not true aliens; mearely h. sapiens that have been outside the main evolutionary line for many thousands of years. Thor was an alien, not our girl.
      A military/civilian outpost with hundreds of citizens with no sex, marrage, "relationships", babies,:very unlikely. I spent 28 years in the USAF and, regulations notwithstanding, when you put hundreds of young healthy testorone laden men together with loads of young nubile maidens, nature is going to take the same course that nature has always taken.

What is your idea? Are the writters going to take the easy, already done that route or do something novel?

Comment

Originally posted by masterblaster View Post
        Third possibility, and the one I think the writers are taking; The daddy is one of the guys on the show. . . . .Ronon has taken himself out of the race. . .
        He did? Must have missed that episode.

What is your idea? Are the writters going to take the easy, already done that route or do something novel?
        Actually, Mallozzi already said "daddy" won't be any of the regular guys.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

My guess; the candidate for upcoming daddydom is Shepard. Ronon has taken himself out of the race, Rodney has a personality that no woman could take for long,the doc is dead and the writers have been dropping subtle hints lately about Shep/tyela.
          "Rodney has a personality that no woman could take for long" - and Shep is better? This is a man who has proven repeatedly that his team, the expedition, and the random puppy he saw in the market on P3X-what-the-hell-ever are all more important to him than his own life. And you want to give him a kid, so he'll have someone else to leave behind next time he makes a suicide run? I saw a lot of people speculating that Sheppard was the father before Mallozzi told us it wasn't going to be one of the main team, and I just couldn't understand it. Sheppard would have to go through a huge personality change were he to become a father, which might be interesting for an episode or two, but would destroy the character we all know and love in the long run. Who's going to be making reckless decisions and nearly getting himself killed if Sheppard's become responsible family man? No kids for Shep - the hero types make for great lays, but sucky relationships.

And back to Teyla and how this affects her.

Do you really see Teyla as the type to stop going out with the team to raise a kid? I don't. Teyla has more or less given up her role as Athosian leader to stand with the Atlanteans because she believes that to be the best way to fight the Wraith. She's walked away from lifelong relationships with her people to do this. I have a really hard time believing she would go back on that life-altering decision because the birth-control failed. And yes, I do think this pregnancy is an accident, simply because she's keeping it quiet, and she's far too responsible a person to hide it and try and keep fighting if this is something she planned. If this is a normal human baby and she doesn't miscarry, I think she'll give it up. It's more in line with her character than Teyla-the-mom. Babies are great for those who want to/are in a place to raise them. I don't see Teyla at this point right now. Having kids may be natural, but having Teyla give it up is more in character, and shows that there's more than one choice a woman can make.

Teyla hinted at an unrequited crush in the beginning of "Sunday." I'm leaning towards that guy being the father, or else it's someone in Teyla's little black book. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that the writers shelved a pregnancy/pregnancy scare storyline with another character because they didn't want two main characters facing parenthood in the same season. That was a good choice. It keeps the idea of parenthood from overwhelming the show. It also means that the writers can concentrate on how this affects Teyla, and the emotional effects on everyone else can be secondary to other, more important plot points.

All that said, I'm still leaning towards alien baby/alien complications, even if the conception was completely normal. It's more in keeping with what we've seen of Stargate so far, and it's easier to sweep under the rug at the end of the day (also in keeping with Stargate tradition).
          They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
          Spoiler:
          Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

This will be a little long but.
            I am not a shipper being a 66 year old retired USAF bomb disposal tech, but.
            Now is the chance for the writers to break out of the "comic book mould" that so much sci-fi TV is in. Some of the most vocal fans seem to think the show is a 1930's B western; the hero kisses his horse instead of the girl and his only job is to kick alien butt and do other manly pursuits.
            I agree with you. It seems unnatural. A romantic relationship, as long as it's kept subtle, often makes for a more interesting story and helps develop the characters. It works in the movies, so why not on television?
            As i see it, there is several ways teyls's pregnancy could be treated.

A. She was inseminated by some horrible alien race and the child will be a monster who grows up in 3 days and tries to take over the universe. God I hope not, every sci-fi TV show has done it at least once, so been there-done that. This option justs says that the writers can't use of a new idea when it drops in their laps.
            I hope the pregnancy doesn't result in a wonder child or monster baby. Besides being overdone, these types of plots alway make me wonder why an alien race would require beings of a totally different race to play a part in their reproductive process. And why would they single out Teyla in particular. If all they need is a random human, there are many populated planets in Pegasus.
            B. The kid is the result of a marriage/relationship with someone in her tribe. she is the heireditary leader and her duty is to wed/get pregnant so the tribes future is assured. The writers have her birth the kid who immediately gets handed to some "wise village elder" for rearing and she immediately gets back to kicking alien butt. Both of these options say that a woman getting pregnant is strange and unnatural and the kid is something to be gotton rid of ASAP.
            I agree with you. Even if Teyla did feel required to have a child as part of her duty as an Athosian, I can't see her letting go of her child so easily. This would probably mean her leaving the team and Atlantis. Since, she seems to feel that Atlantis is the best hope for her people right now, I don't think it would be her choice. I think she would put it on hold until she felt she'd accomplished all she could on Atlantis.
            Third possibility, and the one I think the writers are taking; The daddy is one of the guys on the show. After her upcoming birth was announced, I started looking for clues. My guess; the candidate for upcoming daddydom is Shepard. Ronon has taken himself out of the race, Rodney has a personality that no woman could take for long,the doc is dead and the writers have been dropping subtle hints lately about Shep/tyela.

a few random thouights; Teyla, Ronon, Teal'c are not true aliens; mearely h. sapiens that have been outside the main evolutionary line for many thousands of years. Thor was an alien, not our girl.
            A military/civilian outpost with hundreds of citizens with no sex, marrage, "relationships", babies,:very unlikely. I spent 28 years in the USAF and, regulations notwithstanding, when you put hundreds of young healthy testorone laden men together with loads of young nubile maidens, nature is going to take the same course that nature has always taken.

I don't think the writers would take this route. They've said that only one of the team will face parenthood this season. Even if they did go the route of it being a natural pregnancy with someone on the expedition being the father, I think that would just make Teyla look irresponsible. With the Wraith and Asurans threatening Atlantis, it's a less than ideal time to decide to have a child. And if it's an accident, she looks even more irresponsible.

I'm hoping that whatever the source of the pregnancy, it ends up in a miscarriage. Atlantis is no place for a child and it's too awkward to write a child into an action series.

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
            He did? Must have missed that episode.
            I think masterbalster meant Sunday when Ronon asked John if he was interested in Teyla. I should hope if Ronon was sleeping with Teyla he wouldn't be suspicious that she was also sleeping with John.

Originally posted by starfox View Post
            "Rodney has a personality that no woman could take for long" - and Shep is better? This is a man who has proven repeatedly that his team, the expedition, and the random puppy he saw in the market on P3X-what-the-hell-ever are all more important to him than his own life. And you want to give him a kid, so he'll have someone else to leave behind next time he makes a suicide run? I saw a lot of people speculating that Sheppard was the father before Mallozzi told us it wasn't going to be one of the main team, and I just couldn't understand it. Sheppard would have to go through a huge personality change were he to become a father, which might be interesting for an episode or two, but would destroy the character we all know and love in the long run. Who's going to be making reckless decisions and nearly getting himself killed if Sheppard's become responsible family man? No kids for Shep - the hero types make for great lays, but sucky relationships.
            I think if you use this logic, you have to rule out everyone on the expedition as parent material. They're all taking a great risk just by being there. Some may take more risks than others, but no one there is safe.

And back to Teyla and how this affects her.

Do you really see Teyla as the type to stop going out with the team to raise a kid? I don't. Teyla has more or less given up her role as Athosian leader to stand with the Atlanteans because she believes that to be the best way to fight the Wraith. She's walked away from lifelong relationships with her people to do this. I have a really hard time believing she would go back on that life-altering decision because the birth-control failed. And yes, I do think this pregnancy is an accident, simply because she's keeping it quiet, and she's far too responsible a person to hide it and try and keep fighting if this is something she planned. If this is a normal human baby and she doesn't miscarry, I think she'll give it up. It's more in line with her character than Teyla-the-mom. Babies are great for those who want to/are in a place to raise them. I don't see Teyla at this point right now. Having kids may be natural, but having Teyla give it up is more in character, and shows that there's more than one choice a woman can make.
            I totally agree with you here except for Teyla giving up the child. I don't think she would be able to do that. I guess we see her differently.

Teyla hinted at an unrequited crush in the beginning of "Sunday." I'm leaning towards that guy being the father, or else it's someone in Teyla's little black book. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that the writers shelved a pregnancy/pregnancy scare storyline with another character because they didn't want two main characters facing parenthood in the same season. That was a good choice. It keeps the idea of parenthood from overwhelming the show. It also means that the writers can concentrate on how this affects Teyla, and the emotional effects on everyone else can be secondary to other, more important plot points.
            I thought the crush in Sunday was referring to John. But that was before there was a need to have Teyla be pregnant. So it's possible the writers could use that as a convenient explanation. That was fast work though, if Teyla wasn't even sure her unkown crush was interested and now they've progressed far enough that he's going to father her baby.

All that said, I'm still leaning towards alien baby/alien complications, even if the conception was completely normal. It's more in keeping with what we've seen of Stargate so far, and it's easier to sweep under the rug at the end of the day (also in keeping with Stargate tradition).
            I think you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post

I think if you use this logic, you have to rule out everyone on the expedition as parent material. They're all taking a great risk just by being there. Some may take more risks than others, but no one there is safe.
              It's less that it's not safe and more that he routinely disregards his own safety and goes into situations that he only survives because he's the hero and we need him to live until the next episode. Take "The Ark" for example. There was no way in hell his plan should have worked. It didn't work. Sheer luck was the only thing that saved his (and by default, everyone else's) life in that episode. He got in that shuttle not because he thought it would work, but because he couldn't do nothing. He's the type of character who takes the risk himself instead of letting other people take it, and I can't see him have an easy time sending someone else off to a suicide mission because he's got a woman and kid counting on him and therefore can't take it himself. Sheppard's ready to die for the people under his command; I think he might have more of a problem living for them.

That is, of course, just my opinion. Feel free to disagree. I also think Sheppard as written is incapable of having a functional long-term romantic relationship at this point in the show. If you can't tell, I like my John happy and single.

I totally agree with you here except for Teyla giving up the child. I don't think she would be able to do that. I guess we see her differently.
              Teyla's pretty strong; I think if she had a child then she would be determined to do the right thing for said child in regards to how he/she/it/the-tentacle-baby-from-the-deep were raised. She gave up a life among her people to live with a bunch of strangers. Compared to that, giving her child to a family she trusts so that it may be raised in safety while she continues to fight the good fight with her friends seems a much simpler choice.

I thought the crush in Sunday was referring to John. But that was before there was a need to have Teyla be pregnant. So it's possible the writers could use that as a convenient explanation. That was fast work though, if Teyla wasn't even sure her unkown crush was interested and now they've progressed far enough that he's going to father her baby.

The crush in "Sunday" was ambiguous enough that we all used it as evidence of our favorite Teyla ships.

And it's not necessarily moving that fast. We don't know exactly how much time is passing between the episodes in Season 4 or between the episodes at the end of the third season. And besides, if all the necessary bits and bobbles are working, it only takes one time (and one faulty condom and/or skipped pill) to make a baby.

spoilers for "200"
              Spoiler:
              Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Comment

a few other thoughts
                Doc mac could be the father but he is dead and that would be in keeping with the writers never taking a chance. But I still think it is Shep. He has been changing lately but who knows. Remember the eppy where She was fed into a computer on a alien ship along with everyone else in this race. Remember the look she gave hime when he risked his life to save her. Teyla is the product of a small barbarian agricultural tribe. She is conditioned to look for the hero type. On the surface, she may seem a modern woman but, subconsciencly, she is preprogramned to think of the military hero as the proper husband type. Ronon is the same, but when she asked him, he said that he was still not over his wife. Rodney would be the last type of man she would pick for a life mate.
                Of course, Sci-fi channel writers are widely know for having the spine of a ce of a-dente pasta. Logic notwithstanding, the daddy will be a nobody with the life expectancy of Ensign Jones beaming down to a new planet with Kirk, Bones, and Spock. The kid will disappear quicker than a supreme pizza at a frat house.
                There seems to be a group of fans who are against any form of relationships on sci-fi shows and I wonder why.
                Remember the last few eppys of "Farscape" when Claudia Black's character finally admitted that she was in love with Ben. The show much improoved. It was a blast to see how the two had became one and worked together much closer than before. If you own the shows on disc, watch them again and you will see what I mean. But I keep forgetting that Farscape had award winning writers.
                I keep forgetting that the characters are not real and will do whatever the writers tell them to. If the script says so; John retires and starts flying for Jet blue, Rodney gets a teaching job for a community college, and Teyla, Sam and Elizabeth start a 3 girl pole dancing act. Humm, not a bad idea, I think I could come up with a few 20's to stuff in Sams g string. LOL

Comment

The Athosians are not barbarians and we've seen no evidence that Teyla is "conditioned" to want what you say, or if she's even the marrying type at all. With her background it's hardly likely she's looking for a big, strong man to protect her. It's okay for the woman to be the physically superior one in the relationship, you know. As Teyla would be in a relationship with any of the main characters (with the exception of Ronon). She's shown herself to be a superior fighter; I think the only times we've seen her bested by one of her teammates were when Sheppard was infected with the mutant Iratus virus and when she and Ronon were hopped up on Wraith enzyme.

Not that it matters, because we've already been told that the father is not one of the main team.

And a quick question: How does a reluctance to turn a strong alien character into a baby-making poster child for the heteronormative reproduction-centric aspects of society show a lack of spine on the part of the writers? If this were Katie Brown, maybe I'd buy the husband and kid and Ancient crystal picket fence around the living quarters, but none of this rings true for Teyla. So why would it be a good move to give her that?

spoilers for "200"
                  Spoiler:

Comment

But the athosians are barbarians, by our standards. They lived in a pre-industrial agricultrial society. Sure, once they had a higher society but that was pre-culling which forced them into earlier tribal culture.
                    I find it very hard to understand some of the fans who seem to think that, just because this is sci-fi, that all human values and needs do not exist. Humans have kids, atosians have kids, hell, for all I know, wraith get married and have kids. Why should Teyla, Shep, or any other of the denisons of Atlantis be different. Just because they are Sci-Fi TV heros, must Teyla live a sexless monastic life. Do you want her to be a fully rounded human woman who happens to be a hero or a 2 demensional cardboard cut-out comic book character who happens to be female?
                    If sci-fi books have human characters, if sci-fi movies have human characters, why should sci-fi TV be different?
                    P.S. You say Teyla is not conditioned, Wrong we are all conditioned at a very early age You may be a hard core feninist but , give me your kids to raise for two generations and I will give you a happy dutifull housewife.

Comment

a few other thoughts
                      Doc mac could be the father but he is dead and that would be in keeping with the writers never taking a chance. But I still think it is Shep. He has been changing lately but who knows. Remember the eppy where She was fed into a computer on a alien ship along with everyone else in this race. Remember the look she gave hime when he risked his life to save her. Teyla is the product of a small barbarian agricultural tribe. She is conditioned to look for the hero type. On the surface, she may seem a modern woman but, subconsciencly, she is preprogramned to think of the military hero as the proper husband type. Ronon is the same, but when she asked him, he said that he was still not over his wife. Rodney would be the last type of man she would pick for a life mate.
                      Of course, Sci-fi channel writers are widely know for having the spine of a ce of a-dente pasta. Logic notwithstanding, the daddy will be a nobody with the life expectancy of Ensign Jones beaming down to a new planet with Kirk, Bones, and Spock. The kid will disappear quicker than a supreme pizza at a frat house.
                      There seems to be a group of fans who are against any form of relationships on sci-fi shows and I wonder why.
                      Remember the last few eppys of "Farscape" when Claudia Black's character finally admitted that she was in love with Ben. The show much improoved. It was a blast to see how the two had became one and worked together much closer than before. If you own the shows on disc, watch them again and you will see what I mean. But I keep forgetting that Farscape had award winning writers.
                      I keep forgetting that the characters are not real and will do whatever the writers tell them to. If the script says so; John retires and starts flying for Jet blue, Rodney gets a teaching job for a community college, and Teyla, Sam and Elizabeth start a 3 girl pole dancing act. Humm, not a bad idea, I think I could come up with a few 20's to stuff in Sams g string. LOL
                      I believe that RL said in an interview that they had not yet cast the man that was to be her love interest. It's not one of the already established characters.

To the bolded statements:
                      *I believe Shep would have flown that craft in The Ark if it had been Ronon, Rodney, Lorne, Beckett, or any of his people in there. He said in Sateda that he would do anything for his "family".
                      *I don't recall Teyla asking Ronon. What ep was that? I know he and Shep had a conversation in Sunday.

But the athosians are barbarians, by our standards. They lived in a pre-industrial agricultrial society. Sure, once they had a higher society but that was pre-culling which forced them into earlier tribal culture.
                      I find it very hard to understand some of the fans who seem to think that, just because this is sci-fi, that all human values and needs do not exist. Humans have kids, atosians have kids, hell, for all I know, wraith get married and have kids. Why should Teyla, Shep, or any other of the denisons of Atlantis be different. Just because they are Sci-Fi TV heros, must Teyla live a sexless monastic life. Do you want her to be a fully rounded human woman who happens to be a hero or a 2 demensional cardboard cut-out comic book character who happens to be female?
                      If sci-fi books have human characters, if sci-fi movies have human characters, why should sci-fi TV be different?
                      P.S. You say Teyla is not conditioned, Wrong we are all conditioned at a very early age You may be a hard core feninist but , give me your kids to raise for two generations and I will give you a happy dutifull housewife.
                      I disagree that the Athosians are barbarians. Being a pre-industrial society does not make you barbarian. I would not consider life in the US or Europe in the late 1800s as barbaric. These people are not neanderthals. They simply have not had the opportunity to progress at the same pace as Earth.

I also don't think Teyla is looking for a he-man to fulfill her. She is completely capable on her own. She stated in Sunday that the ways of her people were different so she wasn't going to approach "the crush". I'm not advocating any ship, but I could easily see Teyla with a man like Beckett or Zelenka - quiet, sensitive souls. Just as easily as I could see her with a man like Sheppard or Ronon - valiant and heroic. I personally don't see her with any of them, but I don't think you can box her in.

I don't think the baby will be anything other than a product of a relationship that she has with a man whose identity has yet to be revealed. I'm not sure what will happen to the child. I can't quite imagine her just handing the baby over to someone to raise (and we don't know the fate of the Athosians anyway - Missing is where she discovers she is pregnant I think). The child might not even be born this season. The dad may be on Atlantis and raising the baby who gets an occasional mention.
                      sigpic
                      Sig by Luciana
                      My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

I didn't say Teyla wasn't conditioned, I said we've seen no evidence to support that she's been conditioned the way you say. All evidence points to Teyla being trained as a leader to her people. Anything else is pure speculation, and in this case unfounded speculation.

Secondly, you say humans have kids. Not all humans do. There are plenty of people who have no desire to have children. Maybe they find other things more important, maybe they don't have the patience for parenthood, maybe they just don't like kids. I'm not saying that Teyla has to fall into any of these categories, but I'm saying that just because humans as a species reproduce to create the next generation doesn't mean that each individual person has the same desire to do so.

I also disagree with/take mild offence to the idea that a woman has to be a mother to be considered fully rounded. And this isn't anything against motherhood, either. There's more to a person than what they do with their reproductive bits. Teyla has friendships and arguments and conflicts and crushes and is a strong fighter and in one episode was interim leader of the city. Exploring any of these things would help to flesh her out as a well-rounded character. As I said earlier, there are plenty of people who don't have to make babies to feel fulfilled.

And as for the barbarian comment, the definition of barbarian given by Merriam-Webster is as follows -

1 : of or relating to a land, culture, or people alien and usually believed to be inferior to another land, culture, or people
                        2 : lacking refinement, learning, or artistic or literary culture

(http://mw1.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/barbarian)

The Athosians do not lack refinement or learning, as at least some of them are able to read Ancient (as demonstrated by Teyla in "Epiphany", they have traditional stories, and from what we've seen of Teyla's quarters, they are able to blend form and function in their craft-work, showing that they are capable of producing works of art, even if their lifestyle means that such things must be practical rather than just pretty. Furthermore, while the Tau'ri and the Ancients may have been superior to the Athosians in terms of technology, the Athosians kick Atlantean behind when it comes to farming and trade. Agricultural society does not make one barbarian. Lack of industry does not make one barbarian. It simply means that we're looking at a society with a different focus than our own.

Also, I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but correct spelling and punctuation would encourage me to take you more seriously.
                        Last edited by starfox; 30 July 2007, 12:54 PM.

spoilers for "200"
                        Spoiler:

Comment

sorry about the barbarian arguement but, if there is one thing I hate, it is political correctness. I know thaat many people today hold that all cultures are equal, be they H. erectus or a harvard graduate but i can't buy that. There probably hasn't been an advance in intellegance in the last 50 KY but our culture is an accumulation and sum of all the citizens.
                          You are right, all woman, and men, do not have children, but the big part of the bell curve says that women as a whole do have children. Ruling familys like teyla's are especially prone to this. you only have to look at European history to see rulers that were homo-sexual but had the duty to continue their line by marrying and having children even though marriage and hetrosexual sex must have been a mental hell.
                          Sorry about the spelling. I freely admit that i have several Olympic gold medals in the bad spelling catagory.

Comment

sorry about the barbarian arguement but, if there is one thing I hate, it is political correctness. I know thaat many people today hold that all cultures are equal, be they H. erectus or a harvard graduate but i can't buy that. There probably hasn't been an advance in intellegance in the last 50 KY but our culture is an accumulation and sum of all the citizens.
                            You are right, all woman, and men, do not have children, but the big part of the bell curve says that women as a whole do have children. Ruling familys like teyla's are especially prone to this. you only have to look at European history to see rulers that were homo-sexual but had the duty to continue their line by marrying and having children even though marriage and hetrosexual sex must have been a mental hell.
                            Sorry about the spelling. I freely admit that i have several Olympic gold medals in the bad spelling catagory.
                            Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of being PC, but the word "barbarian" is usally used for societies that have barely advanced at all since the evolution of Homo sapiens sapiens, and I think we can agree that the Athosians don't fit into that category.

And I think we're getting closer to agreeing on the Teyla wanting babies thing. Judging by some of the spoilers I've seen for "The Seer", Teyla will probably feel obligated to keep/raise the child if it turns out that it's a normal human pregnancy, but I think that would be more because of a sense of obligation to the Athosians than because she's actually ready to settle down and be a mom. We'll just have to wait and see, though.

spoilers for "200"
                            Spoiler:

Comment

Teyla is the product of a small barbarian agricultural tribe. She is conditioned to look for the hero type. On the surface, she may seem a modern woman but, subconsciencly, she is preprogramned to think of the military hero as the proper husband type.
                              Teyla isn't out to grab herself a hot, hero husband. Give her some credit. As a leader, she will always put her people ahead of herself.

*Hell hath frozen over. . . I'm defending Teyla*

No one is against "friendship", but outright romance between two regs causes the arcs to revolve around them at the expense of other characters, and because it turns scifi into soap. This isn't "As The Stargate Turns".

Remember the last few eppys of "Farscape" when Claudia Black's character finally admitted that she was in love with Ben. The show much improoved.
                              Part of the fun of Farscape was knowing John and Aeryn were in love, but too stubborn to admit it. When they did, I lost interest because the fire between them was gone for me.

If the script says so; John retires and starts flying for Jet blue, Rodney gets a teaching job for a community college, and Teyla, Sam and Elizabeth start a 3 girl pole dancing act. Humm, not a bad idea, I think I could come up with a few 20's to stuff in Sams g string. LOL
                              Sort of a disrespectful way to look at these characters, especially the women.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by starfox View Post
                                Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of being PC, but the word "barbarian" is usally used for societies that have barely advanced at all since the evolution of Homo sapiens sapiens, and I think we can agree that the Athosians don't fit into that category.

And I think we're getting closer to agreeing on the Teyla wanting babies thing. Judging by some of the spoilers I've seen for "The Seer", Teyla will probably feel obligated to keep/raise the child if it turns out that it's a normal human pregnancy, but I think that would be more because of a sense of obligation to the Athosians than because she's actually ready to settle down and be a mom. We'll just have to wait and see, though.
                                I see Teyla a little differently. I don't think she would view a baby as an obligation to the Athosians. Life is a precious commodity in the Pegasus Galaxy. The Wraith threat hangs over their heads constantly. I think she (and the Athosians) would celebrate a new life the same way they cherished Charin's natural death in Critical Mass. I'm not sure it would occur to her to not have the baby. It will be very interesting to see how this is handled, and it may give us a great look at Athosian culture and traditions.
                                sigpic
                                Sig by Luciana
                                My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Working...
                                X