Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season 4 & Teyla Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starxgate View Post
    Spoiler:

ROFL!

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

I'm hoping it is Shep, but I have this feeling it's going to be some weird...type of baby that isn't actually hers (possibly similar to Vala)...but who knows, I really hope it's Shep that sly dog
    I Am Locutus_Of_Borg Resistance Is Futile, Hallowed Are The Ori, We Go Out With Our Phasers Firing

[QUE] Founder/Admin - Observation Of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Entanglement On Supraquantum Structures By Induction Through Nonlinear Transuranic Crystal Of Extremely Long Wavelength Pulse From Mode-Locked Source Array

Comment

Comment

I think the father of the baby is

Spoiler:
        the love interest that RL talked about in the SciFi Wire interview.

Atlantis embraces Luttrell's Pregnancy

To me, it makes no sense that they would introduce a pregnancy and a love interest in the same season without them being connected. If they did, that would give Teyla a 3rd arc for Season 4, the first two being her pregnancy and her missing people. I know she's been underdeveloped but I don't think they'll go so far as to give her three completely separate arcs.

I think they'll establish this guy's existance pretty early in Season 4, but he won't actually appear onscreen until the later part of the season, since RL said the part hadn't been cast yet.
        - Life after Stargate -
        Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
        Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
        sigpic

Comment

I see the missing Athosians, the love interest and the pregnancy storylines more as layers of Teyla's life rather than as separate, all encompassing arcs. So, if TPTB handles this well (*crosses fingers*), then Season 4 could be a good Teyla season without it appearing to be all about Teyla.
          sigpic
          Sig by Luciana

Comment

I feel the whole Athosian culture should have been explored back in season 1, which would have done wonders to establish Teyla as a leader. At least TPTB are talking about doing it, even though it may be too late to generate a lot of interest.

I don't think the pregnancy thing will cover many episodes, especially when Rachel says they have filmed fight scenes out of sequence, which means Teyla will be back to normal later in the season. I'm pretty sure I read something on JM's blog that said none of the regs were involved in the pregnancy (but I can't swear to that - it may have been wishful thinking). Its probably of alien origin and will disappear like Sha're's harcisis child on SG1. If the Ancients swoop in to take it for protection, I'm gonna start screaming about stealing SG1 eppys again.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
              I feel the whole Athosian culture should have been explored back in season 1, which would have done wonders to establish Teyla as a leader. At least TPTB are talking about doing it, even though it may be too late to generate a lot of interest.
              Agreed. TPTB either has little interest in exploring the Athosians or can't figure out how to write them in, outside of the occasional "Oh noes, impending doom - we must save the Athosians!!" scenario. And Teyla, who is the leader of the Athosians, is diminished because of it. They could have developed her by developing the Athosian culture or put in a major storyline for her about being torn between her Athosian leadership and Atlantis, the Ancients, and the Earther team. As it stands, we have no idea about the hierarchy with Athosian leadership - is there anyone on the Athosian settlement who is acting as leader there? Were they appointed by Teyla or appointed by the Athosians? Are there Athosians who are upset that Teyla is with the Atlantis team instead of being with her people? So many missed opportunities...

Teyla's pregnancy storyline is one of my major worries for s4.

Comment

Oh boy... I don't think this thread has a very long future ahead of it, but I'll bite (or ramble).

I don't think the writers needed a pregnancy to develop Teyla further. They already said that they were in the middle of taking her in another direction when RL found out she was pregnant. However, because of real life situations and them writing the pregnancy in, I do think we'll see another side of Teyla that gives her more depth.

The writers (hopefully) won't take anymore cliched routes with this storyline. Hopefully Teyla has the kid with another Athosian - an old flame, perhaps - who is abducted in "Missing" with the others.

However, because they'll essentially be bringing this character out of nowhere, I hope they don't make it like some cheap, lame one-night stand where Teyla never sees the guy again because he's a moron. That would be too much.

I hope to see more development between Teyla and Rodney... Just because Rachel Luttrell and David Hewlett seem like such good friends, and I'd like to see that play out in their characters. I'd also like to see some Teyla/Zelenka moments, and I wouldn't be wholly opposed to Teyla/Keller.

I know RL and AT are friends in real life, but I'd actually like to see some trepidation on Teyla's part when it comes to Carter coming in and taking over. I hope Ronon is skeptical, and I think Teyla should be as well, because she was just starting to get close to Liz.

Most of all, I think this would be a good time to get away from any "shippy" stuff. I know that's like heresy in some parts, but I'd much rather see Teyla get away from potential shippy moments with Ronon and Sheppard, and develop a very clear, very obvious platonic relationship with them. We don't need her kid calling either one of them "Dad" in a couple years, or anything.

Comment

Yep, TPTB should have explored the Athosians more in Season 1, and also in Seasons 2 and 3, however, that didn't happen because like too many of their ideas, they didn't have any plans for the Athosians beyond using them to move the plots along. And, I suspect that we won't see much of the Athosians in an episode entitled Missing, so TPTB's track record of using them as plot devices will likely remain unbroken.

Although I understand, and appreciate, that the pregnancy storyline arose due to real life circumstances, I remain concerned about how this storyline will play out. Whatever happens, I don't want to see a baby on board for the long-term and at this point, I'm hoping for some good Teyla moments even if I'm disappointed in the overall storyline.

As for ship, I would be surprised if TPTB tried to overtly tie ship to this storyline because JM had already said that because they didn't want two main characters to be involved with a pregnancy storyline, Rodney's pregnancy storyline (with Katie Brown?) was scraped.
                  sigpic
                  Sig by Luciana

Comment

I was actually shocked to hear that they were going to make a pregnancy storyline for Rodney and Katie. I would think that they avoid pregnancies if they can help it.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                      I was actually shocked to hear that they were going to make a pregnancy storyline for Rodney and Katie. I would think that they avoid pregnancies if they can help it.
                      I know, that's a scary thought, isn't it? Why would they plan for a pregnancy storyline? Perhaps it was only planned to be a pregnancy scare (rather than an actual pregnancy) and just last one episode - as the B storyline, but still...
                      sigpic
                      Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
                        I know, that's a scary thought, isn't it? Why would they plan for a pregnancy storyline? Perhaps it was only planned to be a pregnancy scare (rather than an actual pregnancy) and just last one episode - as the B storyline, but still...
                        Yeah... Even as a one-episode scare as a B-plot, I would've been cringing.

Comment

I would think so too, it's a scifi show not a soap. I can't imagine watching the show and hearing a crying baby. So knowing they wanted to go that road before, that argument of theirs, that this would happen on the show only because of the real life pregnany of an actress, doesn't exactly hold water.
                          Torri Higginson: "Elizabeth had a mad crush on Sheppard."
                          at Halfway Con - Sparktastic weekend with Joe and Torri, on October 30, 2011

R.I.P. Stargate Atlantis (S1-S3)

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
                            I see the missing Athosians, the love interest and the pregnancy storylines more as layers of Teyla's life rather than as separate, all encompassing arcs. So, if TPTB handles this well (*crosses fingers*), then Season 4 could be a good Teyla season without it appearing to be all about Teyla.
                            That's probably a better way to put it - you're right. And I hope it really doesn't become all about Teyla. I like Teyla right now, and I hope they don't ruin the character for me. I still think, though, that they wouldn't go to the trouble of introducing a love interest with everything else Teyla's got going this season unless he was tied to the pregnancy somehow. I could be wrong.

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                            Agreed. TPTB either has little interest in exploring the Athosians or can't figure out how to write them in, outside of the occasional "Oh noes, impending doom - we must save the Athosians!!" scenario. And Teyla, who is the leader of the Athosians, is diminished because of it. They could have developed her by developing the Athosian culture or put in a major storyline for her about being torn between her Athosian leadership and Atlantis, the Ancients, and the Earther team. As it stands, we have no idea about the hierarchy with Athosian leadership - is there anyone on the Athosian settlement who is acting as leader there? Were they appointed by Teyla or appointed by the Athosians? Are there Athosians who are upset that Teyla is with the Atlantis team instead of being with her people? So many missed opportunities...
                            I agree. All of these would have been great ideas. Just as comparison, we knew quite a bit more about Jaffa culture by S4 of SG-1. That's to be expected I suppose, since they were directly tied in with the enemy that the SGC was fighting, but.....

Teyla's pregnancy storyline is one of my major worries for s4.
                            Mine as well. I was looking forward to an arc emphasizing her role as leader and warrior. The pregnancy storyline was a huge disappointment, although I understand them trying to accomodate RL's pregnancy. Hopefully we'll still get to see a stronger side of her.

I don't think the writers needed a pregnancy to develop Teyla further. They already said that they were in the middle of taking her in another direction when RL found out she was pregnant. However, because of real life situations and them writing the pregnancy in, I do think we'll see another side of Teyla that gives her more depth.

The writers (hopefully) won't take anymore cliched routes with this storyline. Hopefully Teyla has the kid with another Athosian - an old flame, perhaps - who is abducted in "Missing" with the others.

However, because they'll essentially be bringing this character out of nowhere, I hope they don't make it like some cheap, lame one-night stand where Teyla never sees the guy again because he's a moron. That would be too much.
                            I agree.

I hope to see more development between Teyla and Rodney... Just because Rachel Luttrell and David Hewlett seem like such good friends, and I'd like to see that play out in their characters. I'd also like to see some Teyla/Zelenka moments, and I wouldn't be wholly opposed to Teyla/Keller.

I know RL and AT are friends in real life, but I'd actually like to see some trepidation on Teyla's part when it comes to Carter coming in and taking over. I hope Ronon is skeptical, and I think Teyla should be as well, because she was just starting to get close to Liz.
                            More Teyla/Rodney friendship moments would be wonderful. I think we'll get Teyla/Keller. Spoilers make it sound as if they go off world together looking for the Athosians in Missing. Teyla/Zelenka - never thought about that, but I'm sure it would be good.

Teyla/Carter - I completely agree with you on. I don't know how much we'll even see them together though. It sounded like the writers were going the route of having Keller be Carter's friend. Teyla wasn't mentioned (that I've seen). Although that doesn't rule anything out I suppose.

Most of all, I think this would be a good time to get away from any "shippy" stuff. I know that's like heresy in some parts, but I'd much rather see Teyla get away from potential shippy moments with Ronon and Sheppard, and develop a very clear, very obvious platonic relationship with them. We don't need her kid calling either one of them "Dad" in a couple years, or anything.
                            It's not heresy to me! I completely agree!
                            Last edited by Killdeer; 13 July 2007, 11:58 AM.
                            - Life after Stargate -
                            Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                            Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                            sigpic

Comment

Anyone else assuming that Teyla's not keeping the baby?

My bet is that it's either a freaky alien kid like Adria or the Harcesis. Or, if it is a normal healthy human baby and she doesn't miscarry (which would be a great storyline in itself), that the father chooses to raise it or she gives it to some Athosian family. I can't see Teyla being happy at home with a kid. She already made the decision to leave her people on the mainland and live the the Atlanteans because she thought that was best for them; it's more likely that we'll see her struggling with her place once more - especially with Carter replacing Weir - than it is that we'll hear the pitter-patter of little feet.

But yeah, I'm still leaning towards alien baby. In the world of sci-fi, it's probably a good bet that kid ain't yours.
                              They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
                              Spoiler:
                              Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

I'm assuming that there won't be a baby in Atlantis at the end of Season 4. Although it's been done in SG-1 recently, I'm leaning more toward the alien baby possibility rather than a miscarriage or baby off-screen possibilities.

I have yet to see a series that successfully added a baby/child without ruining what I enjoyed about the show/characters so I hope that's not how they plan to resolve this arc.
                                sigpic
                                Sig by Luciana

Comment

Working...
                                X