Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season 4 & Teyla Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Celcool View Post
    Good for you. I wouldn't wish my favorite character such a development on a scifi show with the genius writers like you know who.

That's why you get bored (if you actually pay attention to the character) because she's not doing anything.
    Or you get bored because she keeps doing the same things over and over, which you could also say about Weir. So, in the long run, it's the fault of the writers for not making both of them more interesting. It sounds like they were intending to try and do that with Teyla in S4, but the pregnancy of RL caused them to change their minds. Now we end up with yet another lame SciFi cliche. I would rather they have concealed the pregnancy and kept to their original plans.
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Good for you. I wouldn't wish my favorite character such a development on a scifi show with the genius writers like you know who.
      Well, we know you have nothing to worry about there.

Again, I have nothing against how a story is executed BEFORE I see the ep, thank you very much. I'm not about to pass negative judgement and see "DOOM" in the horizon. I respect the decisions of the writers and really I'm waiting for a bloody fantastic time.

But you're a regular poster on the anti-thread right? You wouldn't like anywhere it's going anyway, right? So my point is moot to you. ~shrugs~

That's why you get bored (if you actually pay attention to the character) because she's not doing anything.
      That's basically untrue. When I said the character hasn't been given a chance to really get out there, doesn't mean the moments SHE has had on screen hasn't been important. Basically I said that in S1, it was a Teyla arc, stories were pretty much built around the character and her relations within the PG and then our people's responses to those relations. Looking from that perspective, apparently for many that was the "SGA they remember" ; but also what's interesting it was considered the best season SGA ever had.

S2, which I really bloody well liked, wasn't very much liked. I don't knock people for that, it was geared more so toward Wraith lovers and what not. In any event, even in S2 there were things the writers tapped into but never fulfilled, such as these connections Teyla had on offworld planets searching for Ford. Why was Teyla given leadership when Weir and all the other head leaders were away, which was seen in Intruder and No Man's Land? To really what extent is Teyla able to sense other non-wraith entities--ie Epiphany? <---Something of which I'd like to learn more about.

But I guess if one doesn't pay much attention to the character, one won't see these aspects of the characer. Can Wraith's sense other Wraith non-entities? If she can they must?! Aspects of her physiology as mentioned and portrayed in Rising or even in Suspicion. What about her past people? Where are they? How did she become leader?

I mean I already put this out there. The writers, although they haven't followed through, have laid the groundwork to get the people interested in what Teyla "could" do...some people either want to see it, and some people don't. There's nothing else to say there.
      Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzotchka View Post
        Yes, I did read the article as you well know. And I do know that she filmed most of her episodes in advance. What I'm trying to say is that if she (Teyla) knows she is pregnant and is going on missions, whether they are dangerous or not and whether she means it or not, she may, inadvertantly, put her team at risk. Would she try to stay out of the line of fire? Would she be more aware of her surroundings so she wouldn't fall and injure herself or the child? Would she be too careful on missions? That's sort of what I'm trying to say.
        There's always that possibility, but I think Teyla has been presented as a very responsible person. I think she would be aware and know when it was time to call it quits and pull herself off the team. From what we've seen of Athosian society, moving around to avoid the Wraith, a subsistence livelihood, I think they would have very firm ideas on what a pregnant woman was and wasn't capable of. They're survival might depend on it.

The fact that she is able to communicate with the Wraith and possibly be taken over by one *is* a liability. I never said she had to learn how to control it right away. If her ability was discovered in S1, I would expect her to have better control of it by now. Let's hope that's the case.
        Mostly she uses her ability to warn her team of a Wraith presence. That's hardly a liability.

Finally she'll be earning her keep. It took Weir to be recurring and for Carter to come over for Teyla to get a story. She's really had nothing to do for the last 2 seasons. So I guess we'll see how her arc plays out. But lets face it, Teyla and her development has fallen short.
        Weir's cut to recurring coincides with Teyla getting a story arc in season 4, but I wouldn't say that was the cause of it. And it's about time Teyla got more screen time. I've always liked the character. I don't think her benefit is based on Weir's loss.

And what does that say about viewers that we have to blame Carter because Weir is recurring, failing that we'll blame Teyla. There are a few male characters that take up screen time. Is anyone bitter about that?
        Well I agree that she needed to be developed. It would've been interesting to see just where they would've taken Teyla if the pregnancy issue hadn't cropped up.
        I totally agree with you here. I was very disappointed when I heard of the pregnancy arc. Real life has a way of interfering, and I guess they felt there was no way to work around it.

Originally posted by alyssa
        If people have to write ESSAYS to defend a character being there, there's something wrong.Either the character isn't that great and desperately NEEDS defending, or the person has too much time on their hands.

Personally, to me, Teyla is the weakest link. She's been (in my opinion) background noise at best. That's not to insult Rachel. She's just been given nothing exciting to do most of the time.

I feel the same about Ronon. Boring.

On another note, all this talk we had early on about how fabulous S4 was going to be, and how they had a specific direction they were taking it in, etc. Obviously there was no room in their oh so specific plans for Beckett and Weir. However, Rachel tells them she's pregnant, and instead of continuing with their oh so important plans and shooting around it, they make Teyla pregnant? If the show jumps the shark (and I think it might just be doing that) it'll be down to four things IMO:

Beckett gone
        Weir gone
        Teyla pregnant (I mean really... please.. what's she going to be doing? Taking the sprog on missions? Leaving it for Zelenka to babysit??)
        Carter coming in.

I would have left Teyla out of my reasons season 4 was going to suck if they hadn't gone along with this pregnancy storyline.
        There's probably something wrong if you need an essays to say why they shouldn't be there too. Too much time on your hands?

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
        Or you get bored because she keeps doing the same things over and over, which you could also say about Weir. So, in the long run, it's the fault of the writers for not making both of them more interesting. It sounds like they were intending to try and do that with Teyla in S4, but the pregnancy of RL caused them to change their minds. Now we end up with yet another lame SciFi cliche. I would rather they have concealed the pregnancy and kept to their original plans.
        You're so right.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
          Or you get bored because she keeps doing the same things over and over, which you could also say about Weir.
          I didn't see it that way, that wasn't the reason I got bored and btw. this isn't a discussion thread for Weir.

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
          Well, we know you have nothing to worry about there.
          Yes and I'm happy about that, I still prefer anything else no matter how it ends than being pregnant.

But you're a regular poster on the anti-thread right? You wouldn't like anywhere it's going anyway, right? So my point is moot to you. ~shrugs~
          Always.

Basically I said that in S1, it was a Teyla arc, stories were pretty much built around the character and her relations within the PG and then our people's responses to those relations.
          Maybe because back then she was the only native alien and they needed a guide but that's not the case anymore, S1 is long time ago. After that I didn't notice her much, not talking much anyway.

But I guess if one doesn't pay much attention to the character, one won't see these aspects of the characer.
          Not that I don't pay attention, I do when they actually give her something to do, that's actually it, they didn't do that.

Good luck with finding out more about all the fascinating things Teyla could be according to you because according to the spoilers I've read, the characters most mentioned are Carter, Mckay and John. Teyla and Ronon are still in the background, each will get their centric episodes, yes, but how much they'll be part of all the other plots is another story. Teyla is hardly mentioned in the plot summaries.
          Torri Higginson: "Elizabeth had a mad crush on Sheppard."
          at Halfway Con - Sparktastic weekend with Joe and Torri, on October 30, 2011

R.I.P. Stargate Atlantis (S1-S3)

Comment

how can Teyla be in the background when she has got an whole season arc
            Sig Bye Me and Avi bye Luciana

Comment

The characters I seem to be hearing most about are Carter and Teyla, and to a lesser extent Keller.

Comment

Teyla is an interesting character to me in that the writers really haven't done a whole lot with her...and yet I still like her.

I just wish they would really build the character more...
                It feels good to be alive.
                Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

so do i
                  Sig Bye Me and Avi bye Luciana

Comment

In the article on the main Gateworld.net page, "Carter will have her hands full" it says Rachel Luttrell's real life pregnancy is being written into the show as Teyla's pregnancy.

I think that's a great story arc to introduce because it's something you'd never expect from Teyla. The big question on my mind: Who is the lucky guy? WHO IS THE FATHER OF TEYLA'S BABY?

Sheppard is too easy, although it would make for a great storyline IMO. It would be kind of the opposite of the Sam/Jack storyline because instead of dancing around their romantic relationship like Sam and Jack, Teyla and Sheppard just went for it. Might be kind of fun.

Ronon would be a fun storyline because he's not the sensitive type and probably wouldn't be good with a baby.

Rodney would be an awesome choice because of how hilarious it would be. The only way Teyla would sleep with Rodney is if........I don't actually don't know in what situation that would happen.

It could be the reason Carson Beckett is coming back. Kind of flashback sequence where Teyla realizes when and how it happened.

Could be when Wraith Michael captured her, he impregnated her with a Wraith/Iratus monster embryo. That would make a weird storyline.

I really don't want it to be some random Athosian that we have yet to meet. That would downplay the whole thing IMO.

I don't know, who do you all think it is?

Comment

This should be in the Atlantis section of the forum and I think your title is kind of a major spoiler it self. As for the father of Teyla's baby, I'm hoping it's Ronan. They've had chemistry since day one and so belong together, esp after all the development in season 3. Shep belongs to Weir. I'd be nice to have a nice normal baby in Stargate for once, with a nice normal couple.

Sha're's baby - Harsesus
                      Vala's baby - Adria (leader of Ori army)
                      Teyla's baby - here's hoping for normal with Ronan as the father.

I know, probably never going to happen. It's probably some mutant creature or something. How could anything be that normal and easy in the gate world?

(Credit to RepliCartertje for the beautiful sig and to Mala for smilies.)

Comment

I didn't mean for the title to be a big spoiler, I just figured most already knew this was going to happen since it's on the main Gateworld page and on wikipedia.

I'm new so I don't know what qualifies as General Stargate Discussion or Atlantis Discussion. I just figured it was all the same.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. For future reference, there is a search feature you can use. There are already at least 2 threads in the Atlantis Season 4 section on this topic.
                          sigpic
                          Sig by Luciana
                          My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Ya know... Teyla having a baby is a spoiler. Could ya change the thread title? Thanks.

Comment

1 name = Lucius Lavin
                              sigpic
                              EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                              -Liberty Prime

Comment

Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X