Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season 4 & Teyla Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
    And another interview with Rachel Luttrell. I've posted this in several places, and I think it should also go here. Spoilers for Season 4, especially one big one in particular. This is for Ruffles, since she said:

Source: http://www.annecarlini.com/ex_interviews.php?id=816
    As a fan of Sheppard and Teyla, I say ...

Spoiler:
    ... Thank God for fanfiction.

As a fan who was cringing ...
    Spoiler:

... from a monster storyline, I say okay, bring it on. Hmm. 300, as in 300 the movie? There were some forms in that film that played easy on the eye.

Comment

OK. I dug this thread up specifically to throw something out for discussion. I don't think we'll have long to wait to find the answer, since I'm betting that
      Spoiler:
      the pregnancy reveal comes in BAMSR.

But here's what I was thinking about. Does anyone else think that there might be a good chance that Ronon knows
      Spoiler:
      Teyla is pregnant? I was just rewatching some episodes, and it struck me that he's been awfully protective of her lately, and I'm not meaning that in a shippy way. I'm wondering if Ronon might not have some medical knowledge? In Tabula Rasa, he was the first one to clue in that the fact that he and Teyla were not sick was significant. And I think Ronon probably knows Teyla better than anyone else on the base (again meaning that in a non-ship way). If anyone were to notice it, it would be him IMO. My theory, which I would love to turn out to be true, but it probably won't , is that Ronon knows Teyla is pregnant, but he's just waiting for her to tell everyone when she's ready.

He seemed
      Spoiler:
      concerned for her in Tabula Rasa. In Missing, he was the one that noticed that they hadn't checked in, and got the ball rolling to rescue them.

But in The Seer (this is the one that got my attention and really made me sit up and start thinking about this),
      Spoiler:
      when the team goes through the gate to the Seer's planet and is met at the gate, Ronon is on the opposite side of the team from Teyla. When the people approach, he turns and walks behind John and Rodney over to stand behind Teyla. I mean - he's not just standing a little closer to her. He deliberately crossed over to where she was. That's...kind of odd, don't you think? Unless he really does know that she's pregnant and is watching out for her.

Just some thoughts! I'm not sure what needs to go in spoiler tags here.

Also, second question for discussion, which episode do you think the team will find out in? As I've already said, my vote is
      Spoiler:
      for BAMSR. The scenario I'm envisioning has something happen on the mission where she is helping John and Ronon evacuate people, and she ends up having to tell them before she's ready.
      Last edited by Killdeer; 26 December 2007, 06:09 PM.
      - Life after Stargate -
      Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
      Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
      sigpic

Comment

I really hope the preganacy reveal comes soon. With the emotional punch of the Altantis team being told that Elizabeth is dead (is she, really? or were the replicators lying?) it would be a powerful counterpoint for the characters and the fans alike to come to terms one way or another with another major change in the team dynamic.

My worst fear is that the writers and producers drop the ball, somehow, and we end up with nothing more than an aside in the story line, an asterick in the plot synopsis, rather than an integral part of Teyla's character development and the plot line.

ladyjanus

Comment

Originally posted by ladyjanus View Post
          My worst fear is that the writers and producers drop the ball, somehow, and we end up with nothing more than an aside in the story line, an asterick in the plot synopsis, rather than an integral part of Teyla's character development and the plot line.

ladyjanus
          Yep, that terrifies me as well. But there's nothing to be done for it but hope and pray.

And write in to them telling them that we want more Teyla next year.

Sel.

Comment

Yup, I definitely want more Teyla than we've been getting. More ferocious, mama-lioness Teyla, kickin' butt and doing what it takes to save her people, her team, her young'un, maybe even her man, whoever that turns out to be.

You know, although I am an unrepentant shipper — and I do definitely ship Shepherd/Teyla — I would just about settle for any of the characters to get a storyline that involves a mature romantic/sexual/emotional relationship of some sort. One of the things I have always loved about the Stargate universe is that it is rooted in reality, set in a world that's just one step removed from the one we really live in, the here and now. And in the real world, stuff like love and sex and marriage and breakups happen. And they do not HAVE to detract from the action/adventure parts of the stories. Not if they are handled with even a little bit of effort and committment on the part of not just the writers and producers but the audiences as well.

Besides, don't the actors deserve some material they can sink their teeth into? Something really emotional?

ladyjanus

Comment

Some bits from a recent JM interview:

SoSF: Speaking of character development, which character do you think really shined this season and which one has changed the most?

JM: Well, second question first. “Teyla” for obvious reasons The character is pregnant and I mentioned in other interviews we had originally set out to do a dark “Teyla” turn, the mystery of the missing “Athosians” kicks off, I guess sort of a decent for her character with more of an edge. We saw a bit of it in “Missing”, but ultimately wouldn’t be able to pursue because of the pregnancy and the fact that the pregnancy story took precedence, so that played through Season 4 with the missing “Athosians” and the mystery with what’s up with “Teyla”, then we find out in the back half, or the team finds out, she’s pregnant and they all react somewhat differently to the news and as the back half of the season progresses, this pregnancy actually dove tails into a couple of story lines. Teyla’s’ story and pregnancy take a bit of a dark turn at the end of Season 4, then ultimately have the baby and that will impact the character and is something for Season 5. So with reference to which character changes, she is definitely the character that changes the most in Season 4 and sorry the first half of the question was which character…
              EDIT: An addition:

SoSF: Every fan of SGA wants to know if you guys plan to further develop the relationship between Shepard and Teyla beyond [a platonic] friendship?

JM: I can answer that one directly. There are no plans to pursue either a Teyla/Sheppard or a Teyla/Ronon romantic relationship. We find that very early on that the father of Teyla’s baby is neither of them. Teyla will be attached, shall we say.

SoSF: Oh, ok.

JM: Sorry about that.

SoSF: We know in ‘Missing’ she makes mention of a new beau but we also know from the prior three seasons there’s been this teasing between Shepard and Teyla.

JM: True. I would say for the time being, she will be attached in Season 4, obviously her beau is in absentia. One thing the fans might be interested in seeing or read into it…what they will…what is Shepard’s reaction to the news she’s pregnant?

Well, there are always fanfics.

http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2007/12/...-joe-mallozzi/
              Last edited by PG15; 29 December 2007, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the update PG15.

And that's why I'm such an aggressive multi-shipper...I've become borderline non-shipper since I think everyone should mack everyone at this point. Hopefully, we'll get some intense scenes between Teyla and her Kanan (300 hottie), I hope he's my fave, then I can live vicariously through her.

Michael Fassbender
                (Azazeal), let it be you, please, please!!! Oh, please, oh please, I can't beg enough!!! Michael Fassbender in a loin cloth and oil. ~sigh~ With Teyla oiled...wow~~ Almost as good as the kiss below.

I still find Teyla/John a viable ship, but all ships on tv, let alone scifi are a based on a roll of a die. They really shouldn't exist but they keep the ladies happy and/or love sick saps who like scifi.
                Click statement above to read article.

Comment

You know, if a ship actually existed for sure on Atlantis (that it was obvious it was going to get development), then I'll probably be shipping it. That's the thing I discovered from loving another show, Avatar: The Last Airbender, which turned me into a fullfledged shipper for that series.

I'm just a romantic at heart.

Comment

Thanks for the link to the interview PG15! Great information about Teyla - looks like her arc will continue on into S5 - that's good news!

There was something else buried in that article - did you notice? I posted over in the S5 thread....
                    - Life after Stargate -
                    Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                    Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                      You know, if a ship actually existed for sure on Atlantis (that it was obvious it was going to get development), then I'll probably be shipping it. That's the thing I discovered from loving another show, Avatar: The Last Airbender, which turned me into a fullfledged shipper for that series.

I'm just a romantic at heart.
                      Scifi men, what saps!!!
                      Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                      Thanks for the link to the interview PG15! Great information about Teyla - looks like her arc will continue on into S5 - that's good news!
                      JM had already stated her arc would go onto S5 if there was one around July of his blog--give or take a month.

Comment

*dies of an underdose of Teyla*

It seems my interpretation of character development and JM's is quite different. 4.5 will have to make a 180° turn concerning Teyla.

And oh yeah, not every fan cares about shipping Teyla and Sheppard. My ship, of course, sank in Doppelganger (not in my verse though).
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          *dies of an underdose of Teyla*

It seems my interpretation of character development and JM's is quite different. 4.5 will have to make a 180° turn concerning Teyla.

And oh yeah, not every fan cares about shipping Teyla and Sheppard. My ship, of course, sank in Doppelganger (not in my verse though).
                          But FH you can't battle a underdoes (S2 and S3) with an overdose. I like Teyla and am satisified with the amount of development we have had for her. In Missing, we had character development for both Keller and Teyla. I guess my point is that you can't expect several episodes that are only about Teyla. I sure do love her arc.

*waits for FH's retaliation*
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            But FH you can't battle a underdoes (S2 and S3) with an overdose. I like Teyla and am satisified with the amount of development we have had for her. In Missing, we had character development for both Keller and Teyla. I guess my point is that you can't expect several episodes that are only about Teyla. I sure do love her arc.

Sorry, no retaliation... It appears that having Sheppard and McKay rule Atlantis is enough. And Teyla having her token-episode as well. I have yet to see anything new about her that we didn't know yet... so far, nothing.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post

As unfortunate as it is for me to agree with Falcon Horus, I have to say that I didn't find Teyla with development in Missing. Except for several minute eps throughout S2/S3 after her introduction in S1. Beyond that, she's had nothing of serious quality just more confirmation on assumptions rather than development of mysterious things or a complex identity we didnt know about (Ronon as per example). I've tolerated and liked Teyla for the last few seasons. I don't agree with the people who make it seem as though she's in need of rescuing and there's nothing to garner from the character.

I think the above assumptions are completely incorrect and really are a testimony to people's favoritism sensibilities. But I won't deny that many times over that it's not that Teyla gets character development, it's mainly confirmation on who Teyla is based on assumptions fans have made on the past or can assume because of a generic and ultimately weak understanding of characters of the same elk.

For example, Teyla has been compared to Teyla on many an occasion and on some level sure. There are times like I see Teyla and I think she can be easily a hybrid of Xena/Gabrielle had sex with Storm---there's Teyla. Unforunately, altough I like her she's fairly generic.

But then I feel that way about all the women of SGA. There's sort of revolutionary Step-ford wifish aspect to them. Like if you had created this ideal strong woman who can do almost everything---on many levels you'd have the ladies of SGA in different degrees. Excluding Carter from SG, the ladies of SGA have been carbon copies of something and clearly under utilized compared to the men and especially compared to great characters like Ronon--who came in so late while the women were there from the beginning.

This is unfortunately the crutch of the matter. Sure, I have hope there may be something juicy and I have hope in S5, but really the facts are plain to see. There have been several episodes that have fallen down the drain that have had Teyla and I just saw nothing, while people thought Teyla was Godlike and made me go, "huh". Missing wasn't really development in my book, but more so a history lesson. Something that was needed on Teyla back in Season 2. S4 was just too late to bring that in, in my estimation.

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
                                ... Except for several minute eps throughout S2/S3 after her introduction in S1. Beyond that, she's had nothing of serious quality just more confirmation on assumptions rather than development of mysterious things or a complex identity we didnt know about (Ronon as per example). I've tolerated and liked Teyla for the last few seasons. I don't agree with the people who make it seem as though she's in need of rescuing and there's nothing to garner from the character.

I think the above assumptions are completely incorrect and really are a testimony to people's favoritism sensibilities.
                                I think you're right about assumptions going to show the viewer's interests. I think, too, you may be right to a certain extent about Missing.

"Development" comes from relevant interaction, new choices, growth, and Teyla, apparently, arrived on the show fully grown.

Your comparison to Ronon has a ring of truth. He arrived with no use for (or memory of) eating utensils (which was a bit over the top, but okay), let alone companions, and **grew** to an attachment to Atlantis and its people that was so profound the writers used loss of both ...

Doppleganger spoiler:
                                Spoiler:
                                ... as one of his worst nightmares.

The (reluctant) connections to others and to a place, at least from Ronon's POV, were grown in increments, over many episodes.

Even that awkward period in season one between Teyla and Bates can't compare to the Ronon saga because Teyla's character (and Bates') stayed unchanged, and because Bates didn't represent Atlantis per se or the expedition collectively.

Me, I am going to like a character who's been given a load of adversity but doesn't cart it around like a badge. Yeah sure, it's always a mixed bag. Ronon was too surly in the beginning for me to really like him, but I felt sorry for him and I liked to watch him fight. He's also easy on the eyes.

Teyla's strength appeals to me in symbolic terms (in a heroic way) far more than Sheppard's, and when I say that, I mean that Sheppard is the "type" of warrior that arrives on the scene bruised. He's brusque and adamant, typically a loner.

Teyla is soft-spoken, she likes others, she's generous when she has every reason to be (instead) wary, surly, cynical, etc. She could be an archetype for the noble warrior-- but not the road-weary or scarred type we see in what's called modernized warrior tales. Not Xena or Gabrielle. Not even Storm, who has been around a long time. Xena and Gabrielle brood. Teyla does what she has to, but she doesn't angst in the "what's it all for?" manner.

Makes me wonder if the Teyla character expanded or grew, would she do it by learning to brood in just the way Ronon learned to stop brooding.

Erase gender from the equation, and Teyla can be an archetype for an old-style western sheriff or marshal, an even-tempered widower with a kid and ties to a town that fuel his determination to protect it at all costs. The bad guys come, and he shoots ... he shoots effectively but with innate understanding that he has taken human life. Then he goes on with his simple, pleasant life, tipping his hat to his fellow townees, never boastful, trying to be a positive example for his son.

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
                                But then I feel that way about all the women of SGA. There's sort of revolutionary Step-ford wifish aspect to them. Like if you had created this ideal strong woman who can do almost everything---on many levels you'd have the ladies of SGA in different degrees. Excluding Carter from SG, the ladies of SGA have been carbon copies of something and clearly under utilized compared to the men and especially compared to great characters like Ronon--who came in so late while the women were there from the beginning.
                                Erase gender and the same can be said about all the characters ... except the Stepford-ish part, which I don't see at all.

Most of the regular faces represent a "type", and if they got no development they stayed part of that "ideal" set, and then we the viewers fleshed them out.

Weir could have been a man, Teyla could have been a man, and McKay (in the beginning) could have been a woman.

Ronon passed everyone but McKay in development, and so they aren't types anymore.

Although Sheppard has shifted in several ways, he still has the core traits that make him a "type" and I'm almost afraid the writers like it that way. If they don't break the mold and turn him one way, but not another, essentially let him break out, then viewers can continue to fill in the gaps with the things they like (or don't like) and there's no risk-taking.

I wish I knew what made Ronon and McKay so interesting to their writers. To me, Teyla was by far the most interesting of the "types," with Sheppard coming in second. Maybe that's why they were pretty much left alone, who knows?

Comment

Working...
                                X