No announcement yet.

Irresponsible (313)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not surprised (although quite saddened) that Atlantis shows have gone into the toilet. Almost every SG1S9 episode Joseph Mallozzi & Paul Mullie wrote was basically useless filler. Don't get me wrong many of the S3 episodes have been awesome but ABSOLUTELY NONE of them were written by these two hacks. Did they sell their souls to the devils to be writters on this show? Why is it that only the fans can see they cannot write worth a damn? If the rumours are indeed true about S4 that is sad.

REMOVE Joseph Mallozzi & Paul Mullie, forcefully if necessary, from writing any more episodes. Please.
    Science is but a perversion of itself unless it has
    as its ultimate goal the betterment of humanity.

Conservatives, like most americans, tend to deny the american empire exists

Children, like most conservatives, are naive and tend to believe in lies, like santa clause

Comment

This episode pulled me right out of lurkerdom.

The horror! The horror! Now, how do I get my lost hour of life back?

Comment

To be fair to Joe and Paul --

I have to say that the script for "Irresponsible" was without a doubt the funniest I had read of the entire season. Seriously -- I was on the floor more than once. I loved this script. But, as with all productions, there are miscommunications along the way, and sometimes -- through nobody's fault - the tone and nuance doesn't always get translated to the screen.

I'll give you one example. This was meant to take place in more of a western kind of town. Thus the high noon-inspired finale. But when it came time to find a location we found ourselves settling for more of a dutch village. It didn't really have the same sense of gravitas -- but that couldn't be helped.

There were many more little instances of this that went on -- and it's unfortunate, because if the original production script had been fully realized on screen, I think you would all be jumping for joy that J&P were spearheading the fourth season of SGA. It was that good!

And I say this unbiased and unsolicited -- as my involvement with season four will likely be minimal to non-existant, due to the cancellation of SG-1.

Ken C

Comment

Originally posted by ken_is_here View Post
          And I say this unbiased and unsolicited -- as my involvement with season four will likely be minimal to non-existant, due to the cancellation of SG-1.

Ken C
          That is unfortunate as many of us feel you have a good handle on the SGA characters and would be a huge asset to the show.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I have to say that the script for "Irresponsible" was without a doubt the funniest I had read of the entire season. Seriously -- I was on the floor more than once. I loved this script. But, as with all productions, there are miscommunications along the way, and sometimes -- through nobody's fault - the tone and nuance doesn't always get translated to the screen.

I'll give you one example. This was meant to take place in more of a western kind of town. Thus the high noon-inspired finale. But when it came time to find a location we found ourselves settling for more of a dutch village. It didn't really have the same sense of gravitas -- but that couldn't be helped.

There were many more little instances of this that went on -- and it's unfortunate, because if the original production script had been fully realized on screen, I think you would all be jumping for joy that J&P were spearheading the fourth season of SGA. It was that good!

Ken C
            Thanks for posting and trying to instil some faith in the loyal viewers about miscommunications etc.

I have to say, I'm looking forward to the other episodes you've written. I was thouroughly (Can't spell today LOL!) impressed by CG

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
              That is unfortunate as many of us feel you have a good handle on the SGA characters and would be a huge asset to the show.
              i second that

Comment

And as for the question of why Lucious was wet when dunked in the barrel (or how he was able to be dunked in a barrel at all...) -- I asked this same question during a script meeting -- and Rob C (patiently) explained that for the shield to work, it had to react to kinetic energy. So bullets, falling bricks, even punches and kicks all register -- but anything moving at low speeds, like being held underwater - would have no effect. (and I'm sure if you really nitpick you can find fault with this definition-- but there has to be at least a small degree of suspension of disbelief when it comes to sci-fi, yes?)

I believe Rob C referenced an episode of SG-1 where they got past a personal shield by, very slowly and methodically, inserting a dagger through it, and stabbing the person. So there you go...you learn something new about pseudo-science everyday.

By the way -- I was the guy in the room that always had a million questions about how everything worked. And between Brad and Paul, they had an answer for everything. They're both walking tech-clopedias.

Ken C

Ken C

Comment

Ken C
                  Oh no!!! We are I am sure very sad to hear that because we just loved Common Ground and we were looking forward to getting lots more from you

It is a shame that Irresponsible didnt work like it was supposed to - it is actually the only episode this season that I have no real interest to rewatch - and that is saying something as I usually cant get enough of them!!!!

Comment

And as for the question of why Lucious was wet when dunked in the barrel (or how he was able to be dunked in a barrel at all...) -- I asked this same question during a script meeting -- and Rob C (patiently) explained that for the shield to work, it had to react to kinetic energy. So bullets, falling bricks, even punches and kicks all register -- but anything moving at low speeds, like being held underwater - would have no effect. (and I'm sure if you really nitpick you can find fault with this definition-- but there has to be at least a small degree of suspension of disbelief when it comes to sci-fi, yes?)

I believe Rob C referenced an episode of SG-1 where they got past a personal shield by, very slowly and methodically, inserting a dagger through it, and stabbing the person. So there you go...you learn something new about pseudo-science everyday.

By the way -- I was the guy in the room that always had a million questions about how everything worked. And between Brad and Paul, they had an answer for everything. They're both walking tech-clopedias.

Ken C

Ken C
                    Thanks for clearing those questions up for us Ken. Can I just take this opportunity to say - no disrespect to M&M intended - that i wish to goodness you had written this episode. I quite enjoyed it, it certainly ewasn't a bad episode, but I can't help feeling that mixing Lucius with Kolya and particularly the rather light-hearted, comical feel given to the episode overall rather wasted the wonderful build up of bad feeling etc between Sheppard and Kolya that you gave us in Common Ground.

Edit: Just seen your other post about how the script has perhaps not translated to the screen as well as it could have and that's a shame. There were some elements of the writing that I really did enjoy - I just felt that the overall atmosphere given to the episode didn't allow for it to really, properly deal with the very serious history between Sheppard and Kolya.

Sorry to hear your involvement in Season 4 will be limited too - if I'm not being too cheeky.. you say it's due to SG1 being cancelled.. how does that affect your work on SGA? Were you hired more for SG1 or SGA or is it because writers previously writing for SG1 will now be working on SGA, thus meaning less writers required overall? Sorry, my understanding of how such things work is limited...
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                      Thanks for clearing those questions up for us Ken. Can I just take this opportunity to say - no disrespect to M&M intended - that i wish to goodness you had written this episode. I quite enjoyed it, it certainly ewasn't a bad episode, but I can't help feeling that mixing Lucius with Kolya and particularly the rather light-hearted, comical feel given to the episode overall rather wasted the wonderful build up of bad feeling etc between Sheppard and Kolya that you gave us in Common Ground.
                      After common ground I was certainly expecting more of a reaction than we got not just from Shep but the rest of the team too!!!!!

Comment

Ken C
                        Hi Ken, the problem here is that this is a Sci-Fi show. If anybody wants to try out for Def Jam, then that'd be fine to do all the comedy stuff. I don't think it really would have mattered much more had it been a western type setting, backgrounds are just that. 'Irresistable' was the same...Far too campy for everybody's liking. Simply the introduction of the Lucius character was misconceived. If you think back to what the character did with the drugging women etc, there is honestly nothing funny about it. Especially if you know someone like me who had this happen to them.

Devoting 2 whole eps to this character was a complete waste. It would have been much better spent using it on someone like Ford or whoever. Heck after =seeing these 2 eps. I'd even prefer to go back to the 'Sancuraty' or 'The Tower' planets again (& that's saying something).

As for the unbiased opinion , you'd have to say that to stay on their good sides for more scripts to be given to yourself in S4. Although that may be a tad difficult being they like to take all the limelight, nevermore now as they are in charge next season.

Comment

Ken C

NOOOOOOOOO !! - you have to lobby to be MUCH more involved in season four otherwise I am beginning to worry about the standard of eps we will be be getting. No disprespect to the afore mentioned writers but you rock when it comes to writing for SGA - I hope the PTB realise that!!

Thanks for dropping by
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SLC View Post
                            After common ground I was certainly expecting more of a reaction than we got not just from Shep but the rest of the team too!!!!!
                            yeah i would have expected to have Kolya and John's showdown as a seperate episode really. and done without lucius

Comment

<snip> But, as with all productions, there are miscommunications along the way, and sometimes -- through nobody's fault - the tone and nuance doesn't always get translated to the screen.
                              <snip>
                              I can appreciate that. Production difficulties have a way of changing even the best of scripts. It's unfortunate that this one, as you say, fell victim to such problems.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by obsessed1 View Post
                                yeah i would have expected to have Kolya and John's showdown as a seperate episode really. and done without lucius
                                Kolya deserved his own episode dedicated to his demise, it was such a waste, and what an undignified dead for such a great character to have to share screen time with that piece of crap called Lucius in his final episode.
                                Can't we all pretend this one didn't happen, and have Kolya back?, it wouldn't be too hard for me. He deserved better, that stupidity with that idiotic Lucius piece of scum doesn't go with Kolya.

Comment

Working...
                                X