Progeny (305)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    Actually, I could see Carson and Zelenka in joint control with Lorne banging his head against the wall at their waffling and general jabber. LOL!
    Poor Lorne, I bet he wonders how he got himself in amongst a bunch of insane people. Ha. Great visual.
    ----
    There is something extraordinarily delightful in getting intensely
    serious about something intrinsically silly.

Comment

The CGI was awsome.

Especially
      Spoiler:
      A glimps of a new class of Ancient warship durring the flashback scene

Comment

Asurans: the Stargate Cylons?

God I hope not. At least the Cylons had Sharon.... the Asurans don't really have much.

Comment

You know what I find fascinating is that twice now (if we're counting the replicators) the Ancients have been responsible for the creation of artificial intelligence. We've come across no evidence of other artificial intelligence on that high a level and they've been around for tens of millions of years. If nothing else, this indicates to me that at some point they must have realized this wasn't a good idea. And yet they not only created these nanites but allowed them to gain intelligence that wasn't really of any use to their goal to destroy the Wraith.

What the hell kind of experiment goes on so long that they develop human form and intelligence before they decided this is a bad idea? How many years has science fiction argued the ethics of this and we haven't yet developed it yet but these ancient Lantean geniuses... oy.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by coolove
            Wasn't there supposed to be an episode possibly last year's Intruder that was supposed to tell us the direct chain of command? I still think Shep and Weir have issues as to who is leading / making negotiations with whom. At least that's the vibe I got from the episode. I'm trying to to nitpick this episode/show to death but it's quite hard not to.
            You're right, I don't remember which episode but I do distinctly remember McKay and Caldwell arguing over the chain of command and apparently its in non-military situations then its under the civilian expedition control but in military situations the chain of command of decision making falls with the military presence there. So in this case at the time Weir and Shepperd both left to visit Asuras then either Beckett or Zelenka would have been in charge.

Comment

I thought this ep was awesome, until the betrayal plots came up and I started groaning at the TV, like "didn't you try this already, with disastrous consequences?" But nevertheless, even with it being such a ripoff of the SG-1 replicator plots, I really enjoyed it. I find the Asurans to be quite a bit more exciting than the Wraith, so I'll take what I can get here gladly.

Comment

Overall a nice episode! I loved the flying city. Too cool! In fact, their whole city was pretty amazing.

Comment

Well, to the naysayers, because I loved this episode. Yes, I've seen Unnatural Selction. No, I didn't like that episode. I hated it, actually. So Progeny worked in a lot of ways US didn't, at least for me.

I actually like that the Ancients are continually getting darker and crueler. I never liked the idea of them at all in SG-1 and always thought they weren't nearly as good as they seemed, and this is more proof of that.

As for Reese, do we know who created her? Her father could have been an Ancient himself, and then she was able to create her toys fashioned form her own technology. But the Assurans evolved from a nanite, not the "bugs". I'd like to see that connection made later on, because letting it go feels too cheap.

I loved the character interaction. Weir is my favorite character (yes, she is. ), so I liked seeing her off-world and with the rest of the team. The Shep/McKay banter was great. I was ROTFLMAO when McKay poked Shep in the side of the head and Shep smacked him.

Shep's mindprobe scene was so intense and very well done. My heart was literally beating a mile a minute, even after I figured out what was happening. That whole scene remains the highlight of the episode to me; I felt so sorry for Sheppard when he closed his eyes at the end and waited to die. That boy has issues, but I like it anyway.

I felt so sorry for Niam at the end. I knew something had to go wrong because there was no way they could keep him around. The actor did a good job at making him sympathetic, so it was an "Aw" moment when he realized what was happening to him.

Overall, adored Progeny and I absolutely cannot wait for TRW next week. Season 3 has been phenomenal for me thus far and I am very pleased (wish I could say the same about SG-1 )
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GateLadyM
                    Andy Mikita was the WRONG choice to direct this episode since he was the director for "Unnatural Selection". In the hands of a different director, this might have come off a bit more original. Brad Wright (who wrote Unnatural Selection) also needs to have a chat with Carl Binder and tell him to stop dusting off old scripts.

If the writers can't come up with anything more original than rehashing old SG1 stories, then maybe this show shouldn't be on the air (and I can't believe I even said that). The worst part is that Unnatural Selection is one of SG1's best and didn't deserve to be remade.
                    Haven't seen this episode and am unlikely to until next year but I doubt if Carl is the one dusting off the old episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by aeromathlete
                      I thought this ep was awesome, until the betrayal plots came up and I started groaning at the TV, like "didn't you try this already, with disastrous consequences?" But nevertheless, even with it being such a ripoff of the SG-1 replicator plots, I really enjoyed it. I find the Asurans to be quite a bit more exciting than the Wraith, so I'll take what I can get here gladly.
                      You'd think they would at least glance at the mission reports from Sg1. Hell, Mitchell read all of them and is practically the walking Sg1 encyclopedia.

And I'm finding it rather amusing watching Torri's hair throughout the episode. It goes from flat to curly to flat to curly the entire time.

Love the Lorne | The F.O.R.D shall rule the earth.... | Fly boys do it in the air
                      Quirk - The Paul McGillion fanlisting | Grace - The Rachel Luttrell fanlisting

Comment

Finally, an episode that comes close to the quality of the 1st season's promise. McKay is not the buffoonish butt of some writer's incredibly childish joke, but the more rounded person he was becoming in the original season. The team actually seemed to respect and care for one another. Weir's moral compass remains shaky, or else why try to save only Niam and not the 2 women who also tried to help?

Although the CGI were truly spectacular, I still think that some of the better episodes were with more limited sets (Hot Zone, The Defiant One, Suspicion, etc.). I hope they don't start suffering from George Lucas syndrome.

Mr. Binder's script was spot on with the dialogue , so true to the characters. It would have been nice if the wonderful Mr. Stiers had more to do. The problem with this one was again a weak ending. I think that often his scripts either fizzle out or seem chopped off. Of course, that could be due to budgetary or editing concerns.

I do feel that this was the best directed episode of this season, so far. The blocking and pace were excellent. There was also no excessive scenery chewing.

All in all, it would have been nice if this were the 1st episode shown this season. To me it is much closer to the Stargate Atlantis I fell in love with.

V5

Comment

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks
                          Haven't seen this episode and am unlikely to until next year but I doubt if Carl is the one dusting off the old episodes.
                          Well, its obvious that this episode wasn't a Carl Binder "original". Someone higher up the food chain handed him a good old SG1 script and told him to make lightening strike twice. Gotta feel for the guy.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by coolove
                            And I'm finding it rather amusing watching Torri's hair throughout the episode. It goes from flat to curly to flat to curly the entire time.
                            I was more entertained with Teyla magically finding a tube of lip gloss when they were about to make a run for it. Her hair was messy, but danged if those lips didn't have a new coat on. Would have been nice if she had bothered to share her gloss with Weir. *LOL*

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
                              Elizabeth does seem to be quite happy to manipulate, betray, and destroy entire civilizations these days, doesn't she? She seems to have lost perspective. She needs a vacation.
                              I still don't see her character bringing anything of real value to the Atlantis mission. She has no skills and she's not much of a diplomat. At least in the beginning of the series she seemed to possess some integrity. Now she's lost that and I think any of the other characters, especially Teyla (who is MUCH better with people), could do her job just as well and probably a whole lot better than she's currently doing it. Even Sheppard could do it better, and that's saying something.

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
                              Beyond the bad plan, it was an excellent episode. David Ogden Stiers showed his acting prowess (though I must admit, I have problems separating any character he plays from Charles Emerson Winchester III).
                              Before I saw this ep, I thought I would, too--so I was agreeably surprised to find I could separate him from Charles. He was that good.

Comment

Originally posted by smushybird
                                Before I saw this ep, I thought I would, too--so I was agreeably surprised to find I could separate him from Charles. He was that good.
                                Well, having recently seen the Star Trek TNG ep "Half a Life" in which Stiers plays the alien-of-the-week, it was a bit easier to separate character and actor. Plus he's just an excellent actor anyway.
                                Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Working...
                                X