Progeny (305)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    I was surprised they didn't send a wossname glowy bomb thing to blow him up. And I'm also surprised that they figured a simple explosion would completely eradicate the Reps in orbit- not only because SG-1 history has proven that a false assumption but because Weir had just witnessed a flashback wherein the Ancients tried to blow up the city but a few blocks (or whatevers) survived to rebuild. Isn't that a bit of a "duh" thing? And being in orbit really wouldn't help stop them.
    Egads, you expect them to think!?!? What kind of inhuman fiend are you?
    Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

BTW, was I the only one expecting Fifth to morph into Oberon Oberoth? Must be too much Matrix. I suppose it's meant to be more poignant when AR-1 has to face down a former friend/ally who's now an enemy.
      no
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Elles
        Don't forget about Menace... That girl was supposed to have created the replicators... not the ancients... But I suppose TPTB have an explaination for that...
        Ah, but someone created Reese first and OBVIOUSLY her creator was an ANCIENT!! Duh.

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella
          Again I keep seeing complaints on rehashed eps, and I'm like other shows had the same eps, and shows before them had the same eps. I mean everyone is ripping everyone off. I would just not bother watchign television if I wanted serious originality. Everything is fairly comparable...the point is, our characters are different.
          But you should also remember, Atlantis is a spin-off from SG-1, and it's supposed to be it's own thing. There were concerns brought up when the first spoilers were released that it sounded exactly like Unnatural Selection...it's one thing to bring the replicators into Atlantis. I'm fine with that. And really, the first half of this was so incredibly good. I loved it.

But the second half was just like watching an episode I'd all ready seen, plus, the basics of it were just wrong. It wasn't just Niam trying to help them, there were others, and they very callously decided to just blow them up without letting the program have a try. And would Niam really turn his back on his people, those that felt the same as he did, and just let them be blown up like that? I just...it doesn't work. This is what I feel is Binder's weakness, he writes things that sometimes just don't work. Condemned was the same way, it didn't work.

But, the effects, the characters (Oberoth was fantastic), the acting, the banter, the character moments, I did enjoy those, immensely, but in a show that is a spin-off they should not blantantly copy episodes from the other show.
          sigpic

Comment

BTW, was I the only one expecting Fifth to morph into Oberon Oberoth? Must be too much Matrix. I suppose it's meant to be more poignant when AR-1 has to face down a former friend/ally who's now an enemy.
            I totally expected it before the reset happened. It would have been a bit Matrix-like, but I want to know that David Ogden Stiers can return.

Hopefully the destroyed reps will be recreated.
            Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
              Fans who don't watch SG1, or who have never seen Unnatural Selection, will call this a classic.
              So finally, never having watched SG1 (well, except TPP) can be an advantage!

Woo! I knew it would eventually.
              ----
              There is something extraordinarily delightful in getting intensely
              serious about something intrinsically silly.

Comment

Well yeah... I liked it... But the whole part of the plot that involved Niam was relatively uninspired.

600 posts... Hurray?

To see a picture of me in the Miss Teen America pageant, click here.

Comment

I don't think that I have ever seen an episode of SGA or SG-1 be this bad. (If you really loved the episode, you may want to stop reading right now.)

How does an obivious rip off of Menace, Unnatural Selection, and bits of other replicator episodes become such a disaster of muddy characterization, blantant plot recycling, and usless special effects.

My only positive for this episode was that the CGI of the city flying was nice. Too bad that it couldn't make up for the rest of the episode.

I have to admit that until late Season 7, I did not care for the replicator plot with the exceptions of Menace and Unnatural Selection. Therefore, the reuse of these plots already annoyed me; however, I am even more annoyed that SGA ripped off of SG-1 again, and didn't even try to steal from an early episode that the fans might have forgotten about. The Asurans even attack the mind in the same way and create visions just like Fifth, but anyone who has seen Season 8 of SG-1 knows that.

My next problem came with the characters. For once, I was fine with Ronon, but I would like McKay and Sheppard to grow up. Useless banter has its points, but it was poorly timed this week. I also wanted to see more of the visions, and Shepperd's was not that convincing given that every wraith ship in the galaxy would have had to ally to produce that kind of attack. I also want to know when exactly did SGA became the Wraith? Weir acting like Jack was bad enough, but the team has betrayed Michael, abused their few allies, and can't seem to make friends anywhere in the galaxy because people wind up dead for helping them. Sounds like the wraith to me. This week, our team arrives on this world with the proposal of "we'll find some tinker toys to give you, but you must give us your energy supply of ZPMs immediatley, even if we are a lesser developed and strange species." I'm kept waiting for Weir's hands to change before sucking the life out of the nearest Asuran. At least that would have been surprising.

I was so mad that I didn't care to even see the episode end. I've never been so annoyed as to shut an episode off, especially ten minutes from the end. I'm giving what I saw a 0/10. Unfortunately, this act also led me to another decision.

As some of you know, I have been unhappy with SGA for awhile now, and this was the last straw. Maybe, I'll see a trailer that will compel me to come back, but even knowing that
                  Spoiler:
                  Jack will be in next week's episode
                  can't make me watch it because it looks like the recycling of an SGA plot and numerous SG-1 episodes. Unless I hear of major changes, I'm done with SGA.
                  "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

The shot of Random Soldier #4 standing on deck or whatever and looking up to see the explosion was... okay, but shouldn't Atlantis have noticed a big frackin' cityship in their orbit? Wouldn't this be something communicated to everyone with a radio?

And speaking of radios, couldn't the team have radioed Atlantis once they came out of warp hyperspace? Some added firepower at least might have been nice- as backup in case Rodney's overload plan didn't work.

Comment

Great episode IMO. Nice way to introduce the Replicators to the Atlantis Universe. I can't wait to see more of these Asurans, because you know it's only a matter of time.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma
                        Maybe, I'll see a trailer that will compel me to come back...
                        Oh, you mean the trailer that included a scene directly lifted from Legacy? That trailer will inspire you to come back and watch more?

Comment

You know I would have enjoyed this much more had I never seen SG-1. I loved the flying city, loved seeing it occupied and in action. I even liked the whole destroying Atlantis scenario.

I can't fault the team for what they did but I found some things about these replicators very confusing.

The Ancients designed these replicators, knew everything about their makeup and weaknesses and yet seemed intent on attacking them using conventional weapons? That's odd. given what they're made of, blowing them up seems awfully inefficient. It's hard to believe they waited until after they returned to the Milky Way to develop the disruptor technology.

If the Asurans wanted to destroy Atlantis did they really need to haul the entire city to Atlantis to do it? They could have gotten all the information they needed from the team, and efficiently destroy the city via stargate... they're machines, how hard could it be?

Why didn't Mckay complete the merge before the freeze? Wouldn't that order of events have worked more to their benefit? As for their violent tendencies, for violent peeps they've been awfully quiet for a long time minding their own business. It seems to me, they're no less violent than their creators.

Why would the Ancients create a nanovirus and give it so much time and material to replicate a human form? It took the replicators several years and the right materials to do it? What kind of experiment were they doing and since when did they have time to wait for that development before using it on the Wraith?

As for this ascension bit. By their own story, the Ancients are no less violent than their creators. So why would the Asurans need to eliminate their violent tendencies to ascend when it seems the Ancients hung on to theirs and had no issues.

What really bothered me the most though is Weir's comment about if the Asurans could come after them they would have. That strikes me as a stunningly naive thing to say. They have ZPMs and a flying city... it's not a matter of "could". It's clearly obvious they can.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

The shot of Random Soldier #4 standing on deck or whatever and looking up to see the explosion was... okay, but shouldn't Atlantis have noticed a big frackin' cityship in their orbit? Wouldn't this be something communicated to everyone with a radio?

And speaking of radios, couldn't the team have radioed Atlantis once they came out of warp hyperspace? Some added firepower at least might have been nice- as backup in case Rodney's overload plan didn't work.
                            Judging from the size of the explosion in the random soldier's view, I don't think the replicator city had quite made it into orbit. I don't recall anyone saying they were in orbit. I could have missed that though.
                            Cogito ergo dubito.

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
                              If the Asurans wanted to destroy Atlantis did they really need to haul the entire city to Atlantis to do it? They could have gotten all the information they needed from the team, and efficiently destroy the city via stargate... they're machines, how hard could it be?
                              All they would need to do is create a Repliteam to go back through the gate- they'll have absorbed enough from the real AR-1 to pass inspection- not that folks will be much inclined towards suspicion- then simply enter the self-destruct code that Shep so conveniently provided for them and BOOM, no more Atlantis.

And then the next stop would be Earth, since that info was also accessible during the mindmeld.

Comment

Oh, you mean the trailer that included a scene directly lifted from Legacy? That trailer will inspire you to come back and watch more?
                                Did it? I didn't stick around to see it. Oh well. I can cringe next week during SG-1.
                                "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Working...
                                X