Irresistible (303)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starfox
    Sheppard returns to the planet and the colors are muted and the boobs are hidden. Because that's how you show despair, by covering of the breasts. Sad people don't have cleavage.
    I agreed with your entire post, but about died when I read the above quote. I had never really thought about that before. Feeling good, going out: cleavage. Sick and miserable with head cold: biggest, granny, comfort robe that can be found.

Too funny.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
      Dang. I gotta eat my words. I wanted to hate this episode but. . .I rather enjoyed it. *hangs head in shame*
      Same here. I hated Hathor and I found Urgo annoying but this episode was surprisingly entertaining. *joins FP in head hanging*

Admittedly, what made the episode really work for me was Joe Flanigan... He was marvellous and was given the opportunity to shine. He was every inch the Sheppard I cared about: Suspicious, snarky, scheming and resourceful. I cheered when he went up against Weir. Just like old times... sigh... just like old times.

I want Carl Binder to write for Sheppard every time now...
      Last edited by Easter Lily; 29 July 2006, 04:06 AM.
      sigpic
      "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

This was a pretty funny episode, beckett was hilarious, and "Fly Lucius Fly" was pure gold.

Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Comment

I loved this episode. I had a seriously goofy grin plastered on my face throughout the whole episode. There were so many funny interchanges and crazy character moments. Did I mention how much I loved this ep?

Many of the posts have dealt with the subject of rape. I do not think the writers meant to go in that "serious issue" direction. Some arcs, like the whole Michael/retrovirus arc, was meant to go into the realm of morality and social conscious. Irresistible was meant as fun, and not much more. I do not think they treated rape lightly in this ep, because they were not trying to go for a rape theme at all. I think the writers were going more for the "Lucius (sp?) was naughty, selfish, and was a hedonist and John and Carson enabled his own village to give him what he had coming for his deceptions."

However, one can argue that rape is so detestable that nothing that even looks or sounds remotely like rape should be brought into an episode without it being treated very seriously. In today's world, so many atrocities are becoming commonplace and feelings of social injustice are running (understandably) high. I imagine that it must be hard for writers to come up with an episode that deals with any type of storyline that would not be offensive to someone, even though that was not the purpose of the story.

IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by Captain-Peregrine
            (on a side note: Is it just a Canadian thing or does everyone except me pronounce herb with the "h"? I always thought it was "erb" minus the "h".)
            Australian, new zealand and english people call it "herb".

Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Comment

Originally posted by Sela
              First off let me say that this is just my humble opinion, not meant to insult anyone - I'm just voicing my views. While this part of the discussion might need to be taken to another thread I have to say that I don't see the rape aspect of it. Due Respect, but have none of you been out to the bars lately and come up against that one creepy guy who seems to (excuse the expression) charm the pants off of the women while you stand there wondering why? To me it's the same thing only more so. IMHO to tack a charge of rape on it I think takes it a bit over the top.
              It's rape if one person doesn't have it together enough to give consent. The herb was like a roofie. The only difference was the people exposed to it stayed awake. Still, their brains disconnected along with their willpower, as Lucius said, and they conducted themselves like happy little robots or puppets or whatever. Putting someone on the herb and having sex with that person would meet the elements of rape in my state.

We were supposed to be creeped out by him, IMO. The scene with Sheppard in the brig was a high point for me. Lucius promising Sheppard that he, Sheppard, will eventually be "with the program" and love it, got this response, "Just a warning, Lucius. You get close to me, it'll be the last thing you do." It wasn't the threat so much as Sheppard had just pointed out the six wives and Lucius had smugly dismissed it with a disgusting comment. Then Lucius followed with his comment about Sheppard getting over his cold and responding to the herb. Clearly, Sheppard didn't want to be Lucius's puppet and Lucius didn't care. Creepy.

I did like the episode. I knew it was supposed to light. I enjoyed that aspect. His hair? Nice goof. Yet that brig scene and the scenes after the team gets back from the "herb planet" weren't so light. I enjoyed that too. I didn't get a bad vibe from them sending Lucius back to face his own people. My imagination didn't need any help as to what he'd face but I do agree they could have added a line about it that maybe matched the tight, dark expression on Sheppard's face when Lucius was doing his "come clean" moments.

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                Admittedly, what made the episode really work for me was Joe Flanigan... He was marvellous and was given the opportunity to shine. He was every inch the Sheppard I cared about: Suspicious, snarky, scheming and resourceful. I cheered when he went up against Weir. Just like old times... sigh... just like old times.

I want Carl Binder to write for Sheppard every time now...
                Ditto to the Carl Binder comment. I've always enjoyed his writing.

I LOVED Sheppard in this one. He had the funniest expressions on his face. And I thought everyone else fawning all over Lucius was very amusing.

My biggest LOL moment was when Shep punched Carson in the chest and said "buck up Carson". And then poor Beckett weeping like a baby. I was grinning the whole time.

Made me a fangirl of Sheppard again and I'd kind of fallen out of love with that character.
                Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

PIGGY'S USELESS OPINION
                  of 'Irresistible'

Okay... It didn't suck or anything, but it also was not that great. I like humorous episodes. But while this episode succeeded in making me laugh, I don't think I laughed any more than I do during most episodes. I think my favorite bit was McKay's and Sheppards' discussion of the old Batman show. ("Eartha Kitt played Catwoman" - "Not in season 3... You didn't know that?")

The good news is, between this episode and last week's, Beckett has gotten some serious amount of screen time and things to do. Certainly in this episode the character was treated more like the series regular he is than ever.

The talk of making an intergalactinc bridge was very interesting. I wonder how that's going to work? How do you dial a gate between galaxies? How will the coordinates work if a gate address is six symbols to determine a point within a specific three dimensional space, and every galaxy has its own set of glyphs - wouldn't that imply that a six symbol address will only work inside a galaxy? But hey, if it works, it'll be cool.

An avarage episode in any case, if that. Maybe next week we'll be back in business.
                  Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                    and every galaxy has its own set of glyphs - wouldn't that imply that a six symbol address will only work inside a galaxy? But hey, if it works, it'll be cool.
                    No galaxy has it's own set of glyphs, you have to dial to another planet in that galaxy by using an eigth chevron, denoting the location more than likely in the local group assuming the 9th chevron is to dial outside the local group.
                    http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24
                      No galaxy has it's own set of glyphs, you have to dial to another planet in that galaxy by using an eigth chevron, denoting the location more than likely in the local group assuming the 9th chevron is to dial outside the local group.
                      Yeah, but each galaxy does have a unique set of glyphs. I suppose they just look different (to match local stars) while serving the same function, though. But the point is; the MW gates and the Atlantis gates have different glyphs, don't they?

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                        Yeah, but each galaxy does have a unique set of glyphs. I suppose they just look different (to match local stars) while serving the same function, though. But the point is; the MW gates and the Atlantis gates have different glyphs, don't they?
                        I think the gates can be interchangable...
                        Spoiler:
                        ...because an MW gate was used in "Pegasus Project."
                        I think the position is more important than the glyph. Position 1 on a Milky Way gate might be the constellation Orion, while position 1 on a Pegasus gate might be the constellation Scrunt, but they are effectively the same thing.

If you took a Pegasus gate to the Milky Way and wanted to use it there (because it's so preety ) all you would have to do is remember which PG symbol corresponded to which MW symbol. If the address needs you to to dial "Orion" you would dial "Scrunt" instead, and so on. You're effectively "hacking" into the Milky Way gate system with a PG gate.
                        Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

None of the men or women under the influence of the pheromone gave consent. So, it was rape.

This episode was worse than the Tower. I was seriously disturbed by the episode. What is wrong with TPTB? Between the war criminal behavior of the Atlantis crew in the retrovirus arc and this sleazy episode that gives a wink and nudge at rape, I don't think I can watch this show anymore.

Comment

Not a bad ep at all. Really loved Carson and Weir in this, they were halarious.
                            I notice people have mention about the rape context but sorry I did'nt see it that way, maybe I'm oblivious to it or just did'nt interperet that way.
                            sigpic

Comment

I enjoyed it. Didn't think I would after watching the first 10 minutes but it got better and better and by the end I found myself thoroughly enjoying it.

Lucius was really irriitating but he played the part well. It had some fantastic moments and Joe Flanigan was the star of the show. Great to see him getting more to do and seeing that Sheppard fire back again. Loved the way he stood up to Weir and the scene between him and Carson was priceless.

Lots of great moments for all the characters and I'm not going to dig too deeply into the darker aspects of Lucius. I have a feeling though that he won't be getting away with anything once the people on his planet are free of the drug.

8/10 and surprisingly an episode I will definitely be watching again.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                                If you took a Pegasus gate to the Milky Way and wanted to use it there (because it's so preety ) all you would have to do is remember which PG symbol corresponded to which MW symbol. If the address needs you to to dial "Orion" you would dial "Scrunt" instead, and so on.
                                I agree. What I don't understand is how this will work between galaxies.

Comment

Working...
                                X