No announcement yet.

Suspicion (105)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if this has been previously mentioned but in the mission to set a trap for the wraith towards the end of this episode, McKay is wearing a gray-blue uniform rather than his customary desert-beige.

Perhaps this change merely reflects his role this mission of more combat than science. However, this begs the question, why was he a part of this mission anyway? Surely Atlantis base could have spared another marine.
    To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

He did look rather uncomfortable with that P90...

Comment

I woner the same thing, he kept "voicing his opinion" about not wanting to go on the mission to capture the Wraith, which begs the question, why did he have to do it/be there. I mean, he didn't actually do that much, but before they left, he kept saying how he didn't want to do it, what ever it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz Lightyear
          However, this begs the question, why was he a part of this mission anyway? Surely Atlantis base could have spared another marine.
          Well, you could have said the same thing about Daniel at the begining of SG-1. I think this shows a growth opportunity for McKay. I hope TPTB will take advantage of it.
          No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
            I woner the same thing, he kept "voicing his opinion" about not wanting to go on the mission to capture the Wraith, which begs the question, why did he have to do it/be there. I mean, he didn't actually do that much, but before they left, he kept saying how he didn't want to do it, what ever it was.
            My guess is that they need to establish McKay as part of the main team so he has a presence even if the entire episode is off world since he's a major character. Not that it makes a huge amount of sense, because if he's the smartest guy on Atlantis you would think they would want to safeguard that and *not* put him in the line of fire... or their thinking could be that since he's the smartest guy around he can help with any problems they run into off-world. (I love how I counter my own arguments... )

Overall I liked Suspicion slightly less than 38 minutes. I don't have a huge issue with any of the characters and only minor ones with the plot/script... i.e. if they've been there for 3 months and have gone on at least 9 trips, you would think they would have found food by now - or that it would be one of their top priorities. What are they doing, just stopping by to say "hi" and introduce themselves? And the Ancients didn't have a map of the planet they had their city on anywhere in any of the databases? They had to take a ship out to discover land? That doesn't make sense at all...

Oh well. I still absolutely love the show and absolutely look forward to Fridays even more so now.

Comment

Everything in life isn't based on want to or not. Sometimes you have to do something. And since McKay is on Atlantis he has to be able to fight

Comment

Originally posted by DJFavorite
                Well, you could have said the same thing about Daniel at the begining of SG-1. I think this shows a growth opportunity for McKay. I hope TPTB will take advantage of it.
                I have no problems with any of the non-military folks having/learning the ability to fight and use weapons. But this was specifically a military mission designed with combat in mind to capture an enemy, not a recon/exploration mission where a scientist's presence makes sense, and they just happen to run into hostiles.

I guess I'll just chalk it up to a quirk of tv shows of this genre, because you're right - in many SG-1 military missions, Daniel Jackson participates when it would clearly make more sense for a career soldier to take his place.
                To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

Ack! I get left so far behind when I have to wait a week to get the dls! Posting my thoughts before reading the 150+ posts in this thread. Sorry for the inevitable repetitive comments.

I liked this ep, better than I thought I would. I'll just bet Sgt. Bates irritated the heck out of many fans, but I, naturally, thought he was okay .

Weir assigned him the task of interrogat... erm,... interviewing the Athosians, and so he went about it as any good prosecutor would. I think a prosecutor needs to strongly consider that the person(s) he's investigating could be quilty if he is to get resolution. If Weir had next told him to investigate the Earth scientists, for example, Bates would doubtless have been just as tenacious. I think that's why Weir picked Bates. Strength sometimes hides beneath an unappealing exterior.

I liked the growing relationship between Weir and Teyla - both leaders and both expecting to be treated as such.

The Athosians were in a difficult situation that was slightly reminiscent of the naturalized American Japanese during WW2, or pretty much every Middle Eastern person now living in the US(and elsewhere), since the infamous 9/11.

Distasteful as it was to see Weir focusing on the Athosians, she was acting true to human nature.

I fully expected the Athosians to be innocent, and figured it was simply a tracking device, I never suspected the necklace(I was hoping the insect from 38Minutes had something to do with it). Since discovering the Ancient "life-sign detector" on Sheppard in Rising, I'm sure the Wraith have deployed troops(or swarms? whatever they call themselves) to as many worlds as possible in the hopes of finally eradicating the old enemy. But Sheppard(in Rising) likely didn't use any tactics the Wraith had seen used by the Ancients before; they must wonder what kind of "advancements" the Ancients had undergone while the Wraith slept.

But why did the Atlanticans want to capture a Wraith and bring it home? I missed a scene, right? DLs are notorious for leaving out whole scenes, so I suspect I must have missed the briefing.

And why the self-destruct mechanism?

I wonder if the SDM(self-destruct mechanism) is standard issue only during those seasons when there is a threat of engaging the Ancients. I can't imagine another reason for its existence, unless there's some religious taboo about letting your prey catch you.

MacKay; what can I say, I love the guy. He surprises me every week. He likes military food!?! And telling that other guy to "buck up." Oh, brother! I loved the hospital scene, and the "I don't really want to go, but of course I'm going" routine with Sheppard, and the kind of trust those two have in each other.

Oh, and I just love how every scientist's first reaction when something lights up or whirs open is to jump away, reach for the sky and proclaim that they didn't touch anything.

Ford is one cool kid.
                  Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                  "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                  One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                  resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                  confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                  A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                  The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                    Oh, and I just love how every scientist's first reaction when something lights up or whirs open is to jump away, reach for the sky and proclaim that they didn't touch anything.
                    hehe, I think that would be my reaction too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                      This episode *was* the better of the two airing tonight although I didn't like it as well as last week's "38 Minutes".

Hate the security guy... Mr. weasel face. I did like Weir more in this episode so I'm hoping she's at least not going to annoy me. Teyla.....I'm still on the fence. I just am not loving her. She is a good little fighter, though.

Sheppard and McKay I totally love. McKay is still stealing all the best lines although Sheppard had some good ones tonight as well. I like that McKay is becoming a real team member while still retaining his annoying qualities. Not an easy balance. Ford is just there for back-up and the occasional comic relief so far. Can't say I really know much about him but it's still early in the series.

Overall a lot happened, they explored the planet a little, managed to get the Athosians out of Atlantis to the mainland where it looks like they're going to conveniently become farmers for the city *and* they captured a Wraith. I think the captured Wraith is a more convincing bad guy than Marilyn Manson wraith (not saying much) and I'm curious to see what happens with him. The minion wraiths, in spite of jumping back to life, just seem to be your usual cannon fodder nemesis.

So a decent episode, we're gradually learning more about the Pegasus galaxy, Atlantis and our team members and I'm enjoying the ride more than I thought I would. I think there's a lot of potential and I'm hoping it's realized.
                      I think that Teyla is a very complex character that will take a long time to get to know. She must have many layers yet to be discovered and I'm going to sit through every episode before and even after I figure out exactly what she is about. She is not your garden variety SCI-FI character, no. Much more.

Comment

Rodney with a P90 was awesome!
                        Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                          So, didn't like it as much as 38 Minutes, I'd say the series is hitting about on the better end of SG-1's first season. Their misses aren't quite as bad (we all must hang our heads in shame, Emancipation), but they aren't hitting them consistently yet.

Two problems i had: 1) The self distruct on the Wraith seemed out of place, 2) Why in the teaser did they stand and stare at the gate after they were through while they were taking fire? It seemed like begging to get hit. Cover people! Dive for cover!

Not bad. Not great. Character building. So I guess I'll do this by character.

Dr. Weir: I like her, wasn't thrilled with the way she let Bates play McCarthy for most of the episode, but it wasn't entirely unreasonable and she did the initiative to say 'these are my decisions, and I know the consequences of them.' I still like her, I'd just say this wasn't her shinning moment. Good characters have less than great moments.

Maj. Sheppard: He's growing on me, he was saying the things I kept wanting to say. Good man.

Tayla: Liked her better as far as the writing goes, the actress doesn't thrill me with her delivery, but hey. The stick fighting was nifty

McKay: Also starting to grow on me. At least he's not ANNOYING me.

Sgt. Bates: Seemed cliche and one dimentional. If we see him again I hope he gets a personality beyond 'I like Joe McCarthy, a LOT.'

Dr. Z: Thank god that's settled. It's a Czech republic flag.
                          You Forgot Ford... Never forget Ford. He's saved Sheppard in more than a few episodes.

- The First Ep - Ford enters with C4 and a head shot to save Shep from the Wraith Queen...

- 38 Minutes
                          - "The Deep End of the Pool"

Comment

Originally posted by deadpool
                            You Forgot Ford... Never forget Ford. He's saved Sheppard in more than a few episodes.
                            Ford's just not imprinted on me particularly much, just not attached to his character yet. And certainly wasn't in Suspicion.

Comment

Teyla's fight in this episode rocked!!

Comment

Ok, I just got done watching Suspicion again, and I have to tell ya that if I was Sheppard, That **** of a Bates (security ***) would have been shot after they found the locket that was a transmitter. He is just as bad as the Wraith and needs to be shot or removed the show. Whoever picked him for a character was on crack. Kick him off the show, or at least make it so that he becomes possessed by an alien and has to be SHOT.
                                Last edited by Andy867; 30 September 2004, 12:37 PM.
                                Red counter: 14 Dings and growing.

Green (positive) JELLO donations are always welcome

Mckay: Oh my god, He IS Kirk...

Comment

Working...
                                X