No announcement yet.

Hide And Seek (103)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really liked this episode. Sheppard is still my favourite character, with McKay a close second. Lots and lots of humour and character development.

I adored the opening scene with Beckett and McKay:

"I am manipulating your DNA... (then cheerfully) Here we go!"

And I loved Shappard´s sheepish remark, "Just checking", right after they find out that McKay´s invulnerability-device may not be such a good thing after all.

All of McKay´s "I´m a dead man" comments were hilarious. As were the fainting/passing out remarks.

Weir still bothers me. So does Teyla and her people. Can´t really explain it, I just don´t feel any kind of connection to them yet.
    Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

I wonder what would happen if McKay walked into the Stargate with the sheild on?

Comment

Good question. Would it prevent him from being dematerialised?

Comment

And would the personal shield prevent McKay from getting beamed up by the Darts too?

SGA fans' ages poll

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            Good question. Would it prevent him from being dematerialised?
            and if so would Mckay be hurled through space? Becuase maybe the gate breaks down things because thats the only way they could come out the other side in one piece?

Comment

Just revisiting this thread since the episode is being shown again tonight.

I didn't reread all of this thread, so I don't know if this was mentioned the first time, but I noticed something when I was rewinding my tape last night.

At the end of the episode when we first see McKay passed out on the floor of the Gate Room from the point of view of the Control Room, he's flat on his back with his legs straight out in front of him. His legs are pointing toward the Gate, like he was backing away, and then passed out. He was at the side of the MALP when he threw the generator into the Gate. When the Darkness cleared, the MALP is in front of McKay, so I presume he took a couple of steps back toward the stairs before he passed out.

But when we see Sheppard at McKay's side, McKay has his right leg bent. Later on, before McKay wakes up, we see again see McKay with his legs stretched out straight in front of him.

Just a little "Huh?" that caught my eye. I usually don't see these things, I'm so involved with the story.

My kind of guy:
              "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
              Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
              (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Watch the rerun tonight. So I don't if this has been mention or not.

What I notice that MacKay wasn't hungry until Grogan and Beckett mention food, when he had the shield operated. Not to MacKay fan mad at me, this made me think that sometimes that the food thing is in his head.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
                  ....this made me think that sometimes that the food thing is in his head.
                  I'd bet it's most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
                    What I notice that MacKay wasn't hungry until Grogan and Beckett mention food, when he had the shield operated. Not to MacKay fan mad at me, this made me think that sometimes that the food thing is in his head.
                    Well, how many times do you discover that you're hungry when somebody else talks about food? I know that happens to me. He was probably so worried about just trying to get the shield off, he didn't realize that he was hungry.

It's funny what you notice when you already know the story. Sorry if any of these points were made the first time around, but I didn't want to reread the whole thread.

Apparently McKay and Beckett have had at least one talk together where they've discussed women since Beckett didn't object when McKay talked about their mutual uncoolness with them. Maybe at that party in Rising, part 2?

I loved how Sheppard was like a little kid playing with a new toy when he tossed McKay over the side of the balcony.

Later, back in the infirmary, when McKay tries to drink the cup of coffee and it runs down the front of the shield, it didn't occur to me that the coffee must have been a special effect.

In that scene in the briefing room when Teyla volunteers her people to help with security, Weir kind of brushes her off. "We'll find other ways the Athosians can contribute." Ugh, how formal! Sheppard seemed more diplomatic towards Teyla than Weir appeared to be. I liked how Sheppard says it's not that they don't trust the Athosians, but they have to be trained in the weapons and tactics. And he had a funny line when he said, "We're very cautious intergalactic explorers." Here's one of the first times we see Sheppard going with his gut. He just knew Teyla was trustworthy. Weir has to think about it. Her training makes her more cautious. It looks like a good balance.

I noticed more twitchiness by McKay that I didn't remember the first time I saw the episode. He does this finger wiggling thing I didn't remember seeing before. I don't think McKay does this any more, I think this was just to show how nervous he was in the first days at Atlantis.

Also, I think this is where we first see that distracted, "doom and gloom" look on his face we've come to know so well. You see it when they were watching the football game. How awful to be sitting between 2 bowls of popcorn and not be able to eat any!

I didn't notice the first time that it looks like they were watching the football game in one of the conference rooms off of the Control Room. You can see the Gate in the background when Weir walks in.

When Halling was saying his prayer to the Ancestors, I missed that wide eyed look McKay had as he watched Halling speak. I wonder what was running thru McKay's mind right before he passed out?

After Sheppard and Grodin encounter the Darkness, they're up in the Control Room discussing the experience with Weir and McKay. When McKay says "if this thing feeds off of energy, then we could be in big trouble", he's talking with a power bar in his hand, evern though he can't eat it. I thought it was funny that you could see the word "Power" when he was talking about energy.

When Sheppard and McKay go into the "closet" and then are suddenly in the research lab with Jinto, McKay says, "It must be a transporter." Sheppard comes back with, "We can name it later." McKay's name stuck, since in future episodes they are still calling it a transporter. I'm such a scifi person, I didn't realize that McKay was making a Star Trek reference when he called it a transporter. I wonder what it looks like from the inside after the doors close.

When McKay turns on the console in the research lab, it makes a sluggish noise as it powers up, like it hadn't been on in centuries. That was a nice touch.

That was a cute line when Sheppard told Ford that he was "going to be back to pretty boy in no time."

There was also a nice sound effect when the personal shield turned off when Weir was volunteering McKay to stay with the Darkness container. That's how McKay knew to put his hand up to catch it, else it would have fallen to the floor.

What was that thing McKay was eating in the Control Room when Sheppard was trying to catch the Darkness? First I thought it was a sandwich, then I thought it was some kind of meat turnover. I have a small tv and not so clear cable.

I see the Atlantis uniform jackets have inside breast pockets since McKay had stashed away his personal shield in the left one.

When the Darkness came rushing into the Gate Room, it was massive. But it came thru entrances on both sides of the staircase. In order to do that, the two corridors must come together behind the staircase.

Hmm, that's all I can think of for now.

My kind of guy:
                    "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                    Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog

Comment

Just rewatched this episode and made a point to look out for the things you listed, watcher. It really is interesting the things you discover when watching it several times and concentrating more on the details than the main story.

Originally posted by watcher652
                      I loved how Sheppard was like a little kid playing with a new toy when he tossed McKay over the side of the balcony.
                      Loved that too.

Also, I think this is where we first see that distracted, "doom and gloom" look on his face we've come to know so well. You see it when they were watching the football game. How awful to be sitting between 2 bowls of popcorn and not be able to eat any!
                      I really didn't think about that until you mentioned it, but it's so true, he looks positively ready to jump out of his skin (well, okay that might be overstating it a bit, but he sure does look a bit jittery). 'Course he could just as well be contemplating his impending doom.

What was that thing McKay was eating in the Control Room when Sheppard was trying to catch the Darkness? First I thought it was a sandwich, then I thought it was some kind of meat turnover. I have a small tv and not so clear cable.
                      Not sure, but it looked like a half-eaten sandwich to me.

One thing that I reacted to, this time around, was when McKay was explaining to Ford how to work the chrystal thingies to open the door just as the Dark!Cloud was approaching. Ford stops in the middle of everything and asks "You sure about this?" which made me wonder: what's the point of a question like that? (Rhetorical question, on my part ). Just about anything that could happen at that point is better than being attacked by a large Dark Cloud that wants to essentially eat you alive, IMO.
                      Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

And Weir had that "I'm stuck in another galaxy with a bunch of ten year olds..." look Good moments.

Comment

I think MacKay was eating one of those power bars, they seem never to run out of in Altantis.

Comment

Originally posted by Liv
                            Not sure, but it looked like a half-eaten sandwich to me.
                            Yeah, I guess, but it seemed a little thicker in the middle and less so near the edge. That's why I thought it was one of those meat turnover things. Maybe it was just a thick sandwich that they had to thin out at the edge so stuff wouldn't fall out as McKay ate it.

Originally posted by Liv
                            One thing that I reacted to, this time around, was when McKay was explaining to Ford how to work the chrystal thingies to open the door just as the Dark!Cloud was approaching. Ford stops in the middle of everything and asks "You sure about this?" which made me wonder: what's the point of a question like that? (Rhetorical question, on my part ). Just about anything that could happen at that point is better than being attacked by a large Dark Cloud that wants to essentially eat you alive, IMO.
                            At that point, they weren't quite sure what would happen if the Darkness touched you. Maybe Ford was worried that he would get something like an electric shock crossing the crystals like when you touch live wires in an electric outlet. Little did he realize his encounter with the Darkness was going to turn out like being struck by lightning.

I get the impression that Ford doesn't really believe McKay is "the smartest guy here", to quote Weir (and McKay!). Maybe Ford is letting McKay's bragging attitude color his judgement.

My kind of guy:

Comment

Might Jinto have the Ancient gene, to have activated the transporter in the first place? Some Earth people put the boxes in the 'closet' and obviously didn't notice or activate anything.
                              Or would the tech reactivate when anybody did the right thing?

Comment

Originally posted by HIj'Qa
                                Might Jinto have the Ancient gene, to have activated the transporter in the first place? Some Earth people put the boxes in the 'closet' and obviously didn't notice or activate anything.
                                Or would the tech reactivate when anybody did the right thing?
                                That ot the people from Earth did not go far enough into the closet to activate the transporter.

Comment

Working...
                                X