Rodney McKay/John Sheppard Slash/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raelis View Post
    Yes, so much yes. I'm always tempted to yell, "Ugh, SHUT UP, for God's sake! This is our thing, and just because it seems normal to us does not mean it will not creep THEM out" at the person asking. This is why I rarely, if ever, watch convention videos. I'm always afraid someone will ask something that will make me cringe with embarassment. I just find these things distasteful. I even couldn't read the little story in your post - it's seriously a great squick of mine!
    Sorry didn't mean to squick you! I have the same reaction. I despise when they get asked embarassing or stupid questions or when the person just goes on and on like it's their moment in the spotlight. Didn't come to see/listen to you, Joe Schmoe, so please shut it!

And as cool as it is that David has a sense of humor about it, I'm afraid some ardent fans may take it as a hint they can start pestering him about it... or send him fanfiction or something! I know something like that happened to Misha Collins. I also remember how fans presented a box of sex toys to Smallville's Michael Rosenbaum (because he was regarded as something of a sex-crazed maniac in some corners of fandom, which he had no idea about)- good thing he also had a a sense of humor!
    Oh wow, really? *cringe* That's definitely creepy.
    I thought it was great David was tongue in cheek about it. I hope he doesn't come to regret it.

When I read McShep, I'm not even really thinking hey, it's Joe and David. i'm thinking characters in a storybook. It's removed from the actual show for me, if that makes any sense. Especially since fanfic tends to morph into fan canon and not show canon. It's a fantasy of a fantasy.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CheekyBeckett View Post
      Sorry didn't mean to squick you! I have the same reaction. I despise when they get asked embarassing or stupid questions or when the person just goes on and on like it's their moment in the spotlight. Didn't come to see/listen to you, Joe Schmoe, so please shut it!
      Yes, exactly.

Oh wow, really? *cringe* That's definitely creepy.
      Supernatural fandom is particularly awful when it comes to things like this. Some of the fans think the actors owe it to them to fulfill their sexual fantasies about them - see some Jensen/Jared RPS shippers who loathe the guys' real-life girlfriends. When Jared Padalecki announced on Twitter his wife was pregnant, some fans went nuts: "How dare he?! Doesn't he know that he belongs with Jensen?! No, there must be some conspiracy going on, he's probably deceiving us about his wife's pregnancy! She's just a beard/slut that dares to come between the true love of our boys!" Never mind that these are REAL PEOPLE, not fictional characters. Of course,not all SPN fans are like that, but quite a few are insane.

When I read McShep, I'm not even really thinking hey, it's Joe and David. i'm thinking characters in a storybook. It's removed from the actual show for me, if that makes any sense. Especially since fanfic tends to morph into fan canon and not show canon. It's a fantasy of a fantasy.
      It does make sense; I read every pairing I'm interested in like this. I always try to divorce the characters from their actors in my mind; this is one of the reasons I rarely go out of my way to learn more about the actors themselves because sometimes knowing too much about them, their way of talking in real life, their quirks, their reelationships with the rest of the cast - it all kind of meshes with my interpretation of their characters, and I don't want that.

I do prefer it when fanfic sticks close to canon, though, so that the characters I read about are actually recognizable. So it's removed from the show in the way that I know these things are probably never going to happen on screen, but at the same time I want it to have the same flavor that the show has. I want to be convinced that tbough it won't happen, it could happen somewhere in an alternate universe.

I know some people do confuse their fanon with canon, and though normally I don't mind, sometimes it becomes annoying. And sometimes people are absolutley unable to see the line between canon and fanon,and then it comes kind iof scary.

Comment

Originally posted by Raelis View Post
        I know some people do confuse their fanon with canon, and though normally I don't mind, sometimes it becomes annoying. And sometimes people are absolutley unable to see the line between canon and fanon,and then it comes kind iof scary.
        Fanon can be fun but I agree some of it becomes annoying to me as well. It gets old for me that so much of fanfic has Sentient!Atlantis. And that "her love" for Sheppard borders on the sexual almost, blah, blah, blah.
        I'm not saying it's always bad, but I get tired of seeing it so much like it's an established fact.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CheekyBeckett View Post
          Fanon can be fun but I agree some of it becomes annoying to me as well. It gets old for me that so much of fanfic has Sentient!Atlantis. And that "her love" for Sheppard borders on the sexual almost, blah, blah, blah.
          I'm not saying it's always bad, but I get tired of seeing it so much like it's an established fact.
          Hee! As a general rule, Sentient!Atlantis liking John a bit more than others does not bother me all that much, even though I don't believe the city is actually sentient. After all, John does seem to have the strongest manifestation of the gene. But I agree, it's overused. Still, two of my all-time favorite stories make use of this trope (without overdoing it), so on their behalf I'm pretty forgiving. But I always keep in mind that it's fanon, and people who insist that all fans should interpret the show in this light annoy me. And yes, that "love that borders on sexual" thing annoys me too. In some cases it just looks like the author is... projecting a little. In her mind, if someone or something does not find Shep irresistibly hot, it;s unconceivable! I mean, yeah, he's hot, but... let's not overdo it.
          Last edited by Raelis; 19 September 2012, 03:32 AM.

Comment

Trope, yes, that's the word I was looking for. I don't mind it alot, it just gets repetitive.

Projecting...hoo boy, I've seen some interesting examples of that.

In her mind, if someone or something does not find Shep irresistibly hot, it;s unconceivable! I mean, yeah, he's hot, but... let's not overdo it.
            Yep. I don't like how alot of stories are down on Rodney's looks, describing him as overweight. Seriously? I was attracted to McKay far earlier in fandom than Sheppard. And Beckett, obviously. Yes, Sheppard's hot but he's not a god and, at least early on, is not particularly ripped or equipped with hard as steel six pack abs.
            I always thought McKay was hot and round about season 3 and 4 he was smoking when they broke out the black BDU's and leather jackets.
            sigpic

Comment

Rodney is hot, and he's not fat (I've met David Hewlett and he is not in any way fat!), I think it's more that Joe is very athletic and very slim, and gives people the impression McKay should lay off the donuts. Nobody calls Beckett fat even though I'm pretty certain he's weighs more than Rodney!

Plus who cares...We all know John thinks he's hot, so that's all that matters
              sigpic
              Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

I don't like such stories either, although, to be fair, if Rodney is the one to describe himself as "fat" in them, it has a basis in canon - he acknowledged in season 4 that he's "will never be Ronon". Also, his friends making cracks about him being "fat" is also canon - see "Tao of Rodney". It annoys me, but it's understandable - for a member of a field team Rodney must be fit enough, so I see it as a way his teammates remind him to take care of himself and keep himself in shape. He's not really fat, but he was in better shape in season 1 than he was in season 5. Personally, I have no problem with it because who says that only slim, athletic people can be considered attractive? By today's standards Keller is a bit on the plump side either, but everyone treats her as the queen of beauty on the show - which is great, by the way. I just wish it happened more often in real life.

Comment

I just wish it happened more often in real life.
                  Yeah, no kidding. Rodney is more my body type anyway.
                  sigpic

Comment

I enjoy the easy friendship that they have and it made them falling in love more realistic.
                    Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

I wrote a short and silly Halloween McShep fic.
                      It's a Great Costume, Rodney McKay
                      sigpic

Comment

I am like the zombie... I find brains alluring... So Rodney was my favourite character from the get go. I loved the snarky relationship with Shepperd. The fact that Rodney would go off on one and John would snark back and get him back on task. The actors' on-screen chemistry was really good.
                        At least you aren't drinking Cartesian Dualism. I'm in two minds about that. On the one hand, you spend the night KNOWING you exist, but the hangover makes you wish your mind wasn't in your body.

Comment

Next to Rodney and John which other characters do you ship/slash in other fandoms?

I ship:
                          Nick/Greg from CSI

Harry/Draco and Remus/Sirius, Remus/Severus and Severus/Sirius from Harry Potter

Xena/Gabriel from Xena

Lassiter/Shawn from Psych

That's about it.
                          Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Clark/Lex from Smallville.

Comment

Hi all, I'm new here, and I joined up specifically to ask a little question about the SGA novels. I'm not that interested in reading all of them, especially since I read in reviews that some of them are truly awful. But I'm definitely up for reading ones that contain a reasonable amount of McShep friendshippy goodness. From googling, I've only been able to discern that Reliquary is a good one in this regard, but are any of the other SGA novels McSheppy at all, or do any even have a couple of nice R/J scenes in them?

I'm currently reading my way through all the SG1 novels, and though they're more miss than hit (for me anyway), I want to read all of them because I'm hopelessly in love with Daniel, so as long as he's there, I'm there. Lol. But with the SGA books, I'm really only wanting some nice Rodney/John interaction, and a maybe a decent Rodney-centric plotline, so if there are any aside from Reliquary that you can recommend, that would be great. TIA!

Comment

Originally posted by Sariele View Post
                                Hi all, I'm new here, and I joined up specifically to ask a little question about the SGA novels. I'm not that interested in reading all of them, especially since I read in reviews that some of them are truly awful. But I'm definitely up for reading ones that contain a reasonable amount of McShep friendshippy goodness. From googling, I've only been able to discern that Reliquary is a good one in this regard, but are any of the other SGA novels McSheppy at all, or do any even have a couple of nice R/J scenes in them?

I'm currently reading my way through all the SG1 novels, and though they're more miss than hit (for me anyway), I want to read all of them because I'm hopelessly in love with Daniel, so as long as he's there, I'm there. Lol. But with the SGA books, I'm really only wanting some nice Rodney/John interaction, and a maybe a decent Rodney-centric plotline, so if there are any aside from Reliquary that you can recommend, that would be great. TIA!
                                Frankly, Reliquary is then only book I know of that contains a lot of good McShep interaction. I know that a lot of SGA novels have terrible Rodney characterization. It's like their authors don't get the character at all (or never watcedh the show beyond a few season 1 episodes). I think you'd better stick with fanfic.

Comment

Working...
                                X