Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
    I also limit my surfing at GW to Sparky and the SEW thread.

I actually don't do 'fandom' stuff anymore much, because people take it way too seriously. It's sorta the same across the board on any show you watch. I LOVE Supernatural (to the point of forming a fan group at one point) but the SPN fans can be psycho at times and I felt the need to back away. My enjoyment/fandom is generally very mental; I like storyline developments and production elements like directing, etc. Having hot stars helps, of course, but that's not the only reason I watch most things.

But sometimes I just want to enjoy the show and I hate hearing people constantly bash every single little change because it's not exactly the same as it was the season before. I don't mind show changes, new characters, etc--I'm open minded as far as how creators do things (unless they're obnoxious about getting rid of particular characters with no good reason why, SGA case in point) but sometimes fan possessiveness can get really scary.

I've seen a bit of the same with House, MD, which I've just re-gotten into. I don't even try doing the fan thing with my other favorite show, LOST. I'm scared just by the few things I've seen. The one fan base that seems harmless (so far) is NCIS. But then, they also don't have as many fansites, so it might have to do with the demographic who watch.
    Gah, I totally forgot about SEW (I lurk there)! *headdesk* I iz a bad fangurl.

I hear you about the over-nitpicking of things by fans; that's usually a turn-off for me too. But I also agree that when the changes are so insanely screwed up (as they were with SGA), then I think the nitpicking is justified.

I haven't taken a look at NCIS fandom. The show itself is satisfying enough for me that I've never felt any interest in participating in that fandom. *shrugs*
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      OT:
      Spoiler:
      While packing for my Florida trip yesterday I realized I have a severe wardrobe deficiency which I just got back from correcting. I have to report that I got $360 worth of clothes for $111.84 at my favorite outlet including a $118 pair of silk pants for...wait for it...$12.25. They're clearing out all the summer stuff which since I'm going to Miami is just what I needed. *dances*
      Sweet!
      Spoiler:
      It's always great to get killer good deals! And have fun in Miami!
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

some might have seen it already, but i'd still like some more feedback if its good or rubbish

The Sparky FanFiction Book

If you as an author/beta would like to participate - please reply here: http://community.livejournal.com/the_sparky_book/

thankies!

Comment

If we win, there will be bloodshed no matter what. Evil Sparky!

It's amazing to me just when viewing vids on YouTube all the Sparky fans there. I've gotten nice reviews from people I never heard of. The Sparky fanbase will never be counted properly. *glares at TBTW*
          Being a tiny bit evil just makes life more interesting...

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
          Most of Sparky's fanbase is on LJ, though I think some may have been on GW in the early days (which were before my time). With all the politicking and general air of intimidation that seems to pervade some areas of GW, I can't really blame them for leaving. The Sparky thread is really one of the few safe and sane places left at GW.
          I do get the feeling that people are moving on to other fandoms, but when something happens to get everyone's attention, the usual comment is even though they've moved on, Sparky is still their OTP. I think Sparky will stand the test of time.

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
          I totally understand that. Though I must admit to adding to the ruckus in the rest of GW. I'm apparently getting a reputation.
          You've got a rep? Well, a girl's gotta have some fun!

True. I was here for a lot of the really exciting times, both good and bad. Everywhere you went, if you proclaimed yourself a Sparky lover you got shouted down or told you were stupid. I was called a teenage girl once. LOL

I used to frequent a number of threads but began to feel unwelcome.

It helps to have a thick skin and a big sense of humor. I always looked at the so-called ship wars the same way I do sports. It should be okay to trash talk the other team and tease each other in friendly ways, but for some reason both shippers and non-shippers take themselves way too seriously.
          I missed the exciting times. I've just heard the war stories... LOL

Sports is a good way to look at this stuff. Unfortunately, some people have no sense of humor.

Gah, I totally forgot about SEW (I lurk there)! *headdesk* I iz a bad fangurl.

I hear you about the over-nitpicking of things by fans; that's usually a turn-off for me too. But I also agree that when the changes are so insanely screwed up (as they were with SGA), then I think the nitpicking is justified.

I haven't taken a look at NCIS fandom. The show itself is satisfying enough for me that I've never felt any interest in participating in that fandom. *shrugs*
          I'm a bad fangurl, too, when it comes to SEW. But with winter coming and my tv shows getting cancelled right and left (Pushing Daisies ), I'm hoping to spend more time there, and writing Sparky.

Regarding getting involved in a fandom, this is the only one I've really been in and I think it was just because I was so totally in love with Sparky and HAD to have someone to talk to about them. And this thread was and still is full of fun people to do that with. It is interesting, though. The ship that probably comes closest to Sparky for me is Doctor/Rose, but I have no desire to get into that fandom. I don't really talk to anyone about them (except RP ), so why don't I feel the need to talk to others about them? I think it just points out how special Sparky is.

Originally posted by Torri012 View Post
          some might have seen it already, but i'd still like some more feedback if its good or rubbish

If you as an author/beta would like to participate - please reply here: http://community.livejournal.com/the_sparky_book/

thankies!
          Torri, I saw this the other night and think it's a really neat idea.
          sigpic
          sig by SueKay

My Team:

Comment

Sweet!
            Spoiler:
            It's always great to get killer good deals! And have fun in Miami!
            Thanks. It's my husband's family reunion/Thanksgiving. They're a big loud Irish family, so it will all be good. Well, his sister is an anal passive aggressive martyr, but we just ignore her. Plus we've already had several cases of wine shipped down there. I'll be gone from Nov 25-Dec 1.

Originally posted by Torri012 View Post

thankies!
            That looks great. I'll have to think about it when I get back. Remind me if I neglect you.
            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Eyes View Post
              I do get the feeling that people are moving on to other fandoms, but when something happens to get everyone's attention, the usual comment is even though they've moved on, Sparky is still their OTP. I think Sparky will stand the test of time.
              Sparky's a classic. No one will be able to forget them.

I missed the exciting times. I've just heard the war stories... LOL
              Same here.

Regarding getting involved in a fandom, this is the only one I've really been in and I think it was just because I was so totally in love with Sparky and HAD to have someone to talk to about them. And this thread was and still is full of fun people to do that with. It is interesting, though. The ship that probably comes closest to Sparky for me is Doctor/Rose, but I have no desire to get into that fandom. I don't really talk to anyone about them (except RP ), so why don't I feel the need to talk to others about them? I think it just points out how special Sparky is.
              The only other fandom I've ever really been involved in to this extent (in other words, doing more than lurking) was Harry Potter, but even my HP ship, Harry/Ginny, didn't come close to Sparky for sheer obsession and inspiration. Sparky's just that much fun.

Comment

Thanks. It's my husband's family reunion/Thanksgiving. They're a big loud Irish family, so it will all be good. Well, his sister is an anal passive aggressive martyr, but we just ignore her. Plus we've already had several cases of wine shipped down there. I'll be gone from Nov 25-Dec 1.
                Ahhhh, sounds like you're well stocked up for the festivities.

Good to know about your schedule... I was just thinking that since Thanksgiving is next week, most of us in the US will probably be busy with Thanksgiving weekend stuff and won't be available for a post-a-thon on the 29th. And then, of course, the next Saturday after that (Dec. 6) is the USC/UCLA game.

Comment

Ahhhh, sounds like you're well stocked up for the festivities.

Good to know about your schedule... I was just thinking that since Thanksgiving is next week, most of us in the US will probably be busy with Thanksgiving weekend stuff and won't be available for a post-a-thon on the 29th. And then, of course, the next Saturday after that (Dec. 6) is the USC/UCLA game.
                  Maybe, the wine is just for Thanksgiving day. 40 Irish/Americans + 2 cases of wine = just enough for a meal. For the BBQ/pool party on Friday, a cousin is buying the beer.

Ah, football. I can't do the post-a-thon tomorrow either because of the VT/Duke game. The last time I tried to do both I couldn't concentrate on either. Plus my husband and I plan to do Christmas cards during the game. Multitasking is a must these days. Sigh.
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

That sounds like fun! (Not the martyr LOL) I envy you going to a warm climate...

The only other fandom I've ever really been involved in to this extent (in other words, doing more than lurking) was Harry Potter, but even my HP ship, Harry/Ginny, didn't come close to Sparky for sheer obsession and inspiration. Sparky's just that much fun.
                    Yep - and they're purty to look at.

Maybe, the wine is just for Thanksgiving day. 40 Irish/Americans + 2 cases of wine = just enough for a meal. For the BBQ/pool party on Friday, a cousin is buying the beer.

Ah, football. I can't do the post-a-thon tomorrow either because of the VT/Duke game. The last time I tried to do both I couldn't concentrate on either. Plus my husband and I plan to do Christmas cards during the game. Multitasking is a must these days. Sigh.
                    We're having our Thanksgiving this weekend. I'll have to find a computer at my brother's so I can vote.
                    sigpic
                    sig by SueKay

My Team:

Comment

I have too much fun in this fandom still to leave yet. I may have lost interest in the show itself but not Sparky.

New Round is up for the Het Ship game. It's now on top two voting with Sparky, Carson/Teyla and Sheyla remaining.

Vote Sparky, yo.

Comment

Heh, good point! Hope the cousin is bringing one of those big pallets of beer like the one JoeF called in for "The Shrine!"

Ouch. Yeah, the other time I tried to 'thon and watch football, I got a little lucky with the timing of halftime, but it was a major distraction. I ended up rewatching parts of it in the rerun the next morning. Still crazy fun, but I don't think I want to repeat it.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
                          I have too much fun in this fandom still to leave yet. I may have lost interest in the show itself but not Sparky.

New Round is up for the Het Ship game. It's now on top two voting with Sparky, Carson/Teyla and Sheyla remaining.

Vote Sparky, yo.
                          Vote cast!

Comment

Torri, I saw this the other night and think it's a really neat idea.
                            That looks great. I'll have to think about it when I get back. Remind me if I neglect you.
                            cheers peeps!
                            we really do need a few who volunteer to give us some of their (already existing) fanfics

Comment

Game Time!

#1 They have the matching eyes.
                              #2 They are completely original.
                              #3 They're always watching over each other.
                              #4 They'll have beautiful children.
                              #5 They finish each other's thoughts.
                              #6 They care about each other.
                              #7 They make grey BDUs look sexy.
                              #8 They are both great leaders.
                              #9 They go together like peanut butter and chocolate.
                              #10 They take care of the people under their command.
                              #11 They trust each other to make the right decisions for Atlantis and each other.
                              #12 Their concept of "personal space" is much more personal than everyone else's.
                              #13 Their chemistry is hot enough to melt a sun.
                              #14 They mirror each other's body language!
                              #15 They like to hang out on balconies together.
                              #16 Their smiles can light up the entire city. Who needs a ZPM?
                              #17 They angst about each other yet still manage to get the job done.
                              #18 They can go from flirting with each other to mutually snarking an opponent into the floor at the drop of a hat.
                              #19 They would personally risk everything for the sake of the other, but not their principles, no matter the cost.
                              #20 Sparky is the obvious ship.
                              #21 He cheers her up when she is down.
                              #22 She is there for him even when he's turning into a big, ugly, blue bug.
                              #23 He risks his life to save her without thought or hesitation.
                              #24 He cries for her.
                              #25 Her face lights up when he comes home alive.
                              #26 He sits on her desk.
                              #27 She sits by his side in the infirmary while he turns into a bug.
                              #28 She fights to keep him as her second in command and he defends her honor.
                              #29 The STARE.
                              #30 He defends her when Woolsey questions her decisions.
                              #31: She's with him and he's with her, either way or eye-ther way.
                              #32: When her name is mentioned somewhere around him he gives a look that he still cares about her.
                              #33: He understood that she wouldn't want to live as a machine.
                              #34: She understood he would never want her to give in to Kolya's demands.
                              #35 He found out when her birthday was so he could give her a surprise present.
                              #36 She insisted he be promoted so he would still be military commander.
                              #37 She entered the time field to help rescue him.
                              #38: She took a chance by asking him on the expedition even though he had a black mark on his record.
                              #39 They look cute lying on side-by-side beds in the infirmary wearing their matching patient scrubs.
                              #40 They've turned saving each other into an art form.
                              #41: They're so obvious everyone else notices.
                              #42 He allowed himself to be possessed by an alien for her.
                              #43 Though their ideals may sometimes conflict, they're always willing to listen to what the other has to say.
                              #44. He knows she'll always say yes, but gives her the puppy eyes just in case
                              #45 They're canon, despite everything and everyone.
                              #46 They're old souls.
                              #47 She forgot protocol to welcome him home.

#48 He broke quarantine to save her. Twice.

Comment

#1 They have the matching eyes.
                                #2 They are completely original.
                                #3 They're always watching over each other.
                                #4 They'll have beautiful children.
                                #5 They finish each other's thoughts.
                                #6 They care about each other.
                                #7 They make grey BDUs look sexy.
                                #8 They are both great leaders.
                                #9 They go together like peanut butter and chocolate.
                                #10 They take care of the people under their command.
                                #11 They trust each other to make the right decisions for Atlantis and each other.
                                #12 Their concept of "personal space" is much more personal than everyone else's.
                                #13 Their chemistry is hot enough to melt a sun.
                                #14 They mirror each other's body language!
                                #15 They like to hang out on balconies together.
                                #16 Their smiles can light up the entire city. Who needs a ZPM?
                                #17 They angst about each other yet still manage to get the job done.
                                #18 They can go from flirting with each other to mutually snarking an opponent into the floor at the drop of a hat.
                                #19 They would personally risk everything for the sake of the other, but not their principles, no matter the cost.
                                #20 Sparky is the obvious ship.
                                #21 He cheers her up when she is down.
                                #22 She is there for him even when he's turning into a big, ugly, blue bug.
                                #23 He risks his life to save her without thought or hesitation.
                                #24 He cries for her.
                                #25 Her face lights up when he comes home alive.
                                #26 He sits on her desk.
                                #27 She sits by his side in the infirmary while he turns into a bug.
                                #28 She fights to keep him as her second in command and he defends her honor.
                                #29 The STARE.
                                #30 He defends her when Woolsey questions her decisions.
                                #31: She's with him and he's with her, either way or eye-ther way.
                                #32: When her name is mentioned somewhere around him he gives a look that he still cares about her.
                                #33: He understood that she wouldn't want to live as a machine.
                                #34: She understood he would never want her to give in to Kolya's demands.
                                #35 He found out when her birthday was so he could give her a surprise present.
                                #36 She insisted he be promoted so he would still be military commander.
                                #37 She entered the time field to help rescue him.
                                #38: She took a chance by asking him on the expedition even though he had a black mark on his record.
                                #39 They look cute lying on side-by-side beds in the infirmary wearing their matching patient scrubs.
                                #40 They've turned saving each other into an art form.
                                #41: They're so obvious everyone else notices.
                                #42 He allowed himself to be possessed by an alien for her.
                                #43 Though their ideals may sometimes conflict, they're always willing to listen to what the other has to say.
                                #44. He knows she'll always say yes, but gives her the puppy eyes just in case
                                #45 They're canon, despite everything and everyone.
                                #46 They're old souls.
                                #47 She forgot protocol to welcome him home.
                                #48 He broke quarantine to save her. Twice.

#49 They will always come home to each other.

Comment

Working...
                                X