No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I killing you guys with the discussion posts? Should I stop? I feel like this is one of the the Sparkiest episodes, yet only one person has responded with anything...

Let me know if it's not something y'all are interested in and I'll stop.

But NOT UNTIL TOMORROW! *teeth*

Last part...

First...Rodney and Elizabeth playacting...

Hee! I think Rodney's ability to lie has improved since the pier. I love the daggers Elizabeth shoots at him when he asks for her 'second' sequence of numbers (at this point are they still worried Kolya would only spare her because of her 'codes?')

Elizabeth's Speech to Kolya

I'm a bit biased, but this speech still gives me chills. She was strong, yet Torri plays her as though she's frightened and desperate, too.

I don't have a picture of it, but another favorite line is John's laying out of the plan to ambush Kolya. He's so...military. I like how he short-answers Teyla, too--very no nonsense, as in 'this isn't the time to question'. But he's not mean--just commanding. And what he says to Ford...*whoosh* "You don't need that thing. Shoot to kill." Yikes, people, look out. Of course, his decision to shut the gate on over 50 soldiers was also a 'yikes' moment.

And the Coup d' Grace--the rescue sequence:

I love how Torri looks in this picture...so scared. And Robert's holding her so closely--it really was a tense moment.

Look at those EYES. *shivers*

What do you think she's thinking? Shoot? Don't Shoot? Oh, God, I'm going to be killed? Please, help me? Don't let him take me? I honestly have no clue.

Um, how confident is John? Apparently he's had markmanship training.

What's really interesting is how much he's willing to risk not to let Kolya take her. It was a close, close shot, but what would the consequences have been if he'd not fired, and let Kolya take Elizabeth as a hostage? (I know Wormhole has tried to answer that *shameless plug for An Eye for an Eye*)

Why wasn't John willing to let that happen? Was it already too much, after thinking he lost her, to run the risk of losing her again? Did he believe Elizabeth would have wanted him to take the shot? Was he thinking at all?

On the commentary, one of the writers said they loved how Torri says the line "No" after John asks her if she's alright. I agree--great line, great acting. No, of course you're not alright, the person who took you hostage just took a 1-2 shot to the chest about 1/2 an inch from your shoulder. She probably should have been a little hard of hearing, too.

I like how John sort of 'breathes' after Kolya's gone. He doesn't stop, but he breathes--the fire's gone from his eyes. He hasn't come down off the hunter's high, yet, but he's got everyone back, safe, and alive. I love he grabs her hand to get her moving again.

And back in the control room...

Here's John as...John. Not G.I. Joe Sheppard, just John. The interesting note here is now that Elizabeth's safe (and Rodney, too) he's back to being just commanding, but not crazily or fiercely so. He asks Rodney to wait a few moments to let Teyla and Beckett get there. But he does it in that half-lazy, half-stern command voice of his, with a touch of urgency but not desperation ('then give them two minutes!'). Notice how they are standing together in the above picture, too...like they've both gained strength and normalcy from each other. They're back to Sheppard and Weir. I love that.

And our final scene. My second favorite line of the episode:

Elizabeth: Maybe we can release her as a sign of good will...
    John: You're very optimistic, you know that?
    Elizabeth: You think so?

You know what gives me warm fuzzies about this scene? How he says that line--as though he's thinking "I almost lost this. I'm glad I didn't." That's the feeling I get, anyway <----------Sparky SHIPPER.

Rodney's bandage trick was a little stupid--even Rodney would know not to bandage his arm around his jacket...but I let it slide because the episode is so darn good.

Notice Liz's turtleneck is unzipped! John's tac vest is gone! Ah, comfort--the subtlety is never lost on us!

Finally, the look she throws him after his final line...priceless.

Thanks to the freakin' powers that be we'll never see another storm on Lantea, will we? Ah, the symbolic irony of that statement now. >8D

And yes...you notice I didn't mention the catfight. Why? I think it's one of the stupidest plot points evah. I don't object to catfighting, but PLACEMENT! I give no credence to whomever thought that was a good idea. I'd love to have seen Teyla kick Sora's A$$, but don't you think it would have done for another episode? Why then? To break up the suspense of the control room stuff? To see two women duke it out? Why on Earth would either Teyla or Sora have decided that was a good time to duel? I thought they were both smarter than that.

It's the only thing in "The Eye" I completely skip over every time.

Anyways, so ends the Erika summary of her favorite episode. Let me know if this gets to be too much. Bye bye and thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Eri13; 25 March 2008, 02:29 PM.
    Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Too tired to comment on episode - will do tomorrow before most of you wake up. I just have to say that AoT really sucked and that I have new fic for you.

http://anuna-81.livejournal.com/57239.html?#cutid1

Hope you like. Goodnight!
      I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
        Okay, Round 2...*nudges Sparkies*

Into the Rain...

Listening to the commentary on this (yes, I did that too) is funny, to hear how miserable everyone (namely, Torri and David) were at this shoot. Gero comments on how he had written this great script about a storm pounding Atlantis, and Weir and McKay being held hostage in it and it's all very dramatic wind-pounding, thunder booming stuff. Torri and David (who's also on the commentary) thought it was fantastic--until they were stuck on this set for about 3 days of shooting. The water was INCREDIBLY cold, which you can see by the redness of DH's face (he calls himself Santa Clause ) and by Torri's pale, pale complexion.

As the only ones in costume other than Robert Davi, they had to endure these horrid conditions without anything to keep them warm. All the crew, directors and equipment were wrapped in parkas and rainproof gear, but the actors had to maintain their appearance, and there wasn't enough time between takes to send them blankets--plus there was no point, everyone just got soaked again. You'll notice Robert pacing quite often in the back of the set, but Weir and McKay, as the hostages, were forced under the main parts of the water. At one point David laughs because he had positioned himself under an awning in the intent of keeping water off Torri, but didn't realize that it would pour down just to his right--completely on top of her.

One of the fave scenes of Mckay/Weir shippers, where McKay wraps his arm around Weir, was because David felt incredibly sorry for Torri, who, being very skinny, was absolutely freezing. He's trying to keep her warm, and it made it into the episode, which he was surprised at.

I forget how many gallons of water it took to shoot these scenes, but the pier was specially built inside the studio, and the freezing water was recycled in massive amounts. By the end of the shoot, Torri's face was almost blue with cold, and you can see it in the final scene where McKay fixes the grounding station.

MY FAVORITE SCENE

John: "Weir's alive??"

I LOVED THIS SCENE. Every minute of it. Kolya's face, realizing what a screw up he made telling Sheppard Weir was dead, John's very casual/killer attitude until Kolya tells him Elizabeth's death was just a bluff--and then *BOOM!* he's all business and worries and desperation as he tries to get to the generators in time to save her--again.

yes, you fool, that WAS a big mistake telling him she was dead, wasn't it?

One little tidbit I notice in particular--did anyone else catch Rodney's expression as he listens to this over the walkie convo? Seemed like he was surprised...

One interesting note is the fact that John's emotions and actions change over Weir's 'death/life' and only that. Never mind that after Kolya 'killed' Weir, he still had Rodney as a hostage--Sheppard didn't care. And once Weir's found to be alive, John's commando spree stops and he's all about doing what he can to save her. I don't think that this is completely intentional so much as the writers needed an excuse for John to go ballistic, but the fact that it happens is there on film.

Poor Rodney. John doesn't love you as much. :McKay:

Finally--my one and only gripe about the episode--Torri's dialogue. On the commentary, Gero reveals that Torri's actual dialogue was misprinted, and no one caught it. Since refilming was essentially out of the question for two little words, they left it in. The scene goes like this:

John: Let me talk to her!
        Elizabeth: Sheppard! We're both here!
        John: It's good to hear your voice.
        Elizabeth: Yeah, it's good to hear!

It should have read like this:

John: Let me talk to her!
        Elizabeth: Sheppard! We're both here!
        John: It's good to hear your voice.
        Elizabeth: Yes, it's good to hear yours, too!

*clenched fist* OH FATES! WHY SO CRUEL! How Torri could have played that! How John could have reacted. *headdesk*

As far as the Carson, Teyla and Ford parts, I really enjoy the Carson&Ford moments--especially Ford being bossy. I thought that suited him well, and I wish we could have had a bit more time leading other squads, a la Lorne.

Next part...the end. *sigh*
        Because this was just brilliant and worth re-posting!!!! *goes off to watch commentary*

! All Aboard The Shipper Train!
        I Heart ! Proud Member of Thunk For Club!
        Don't wait for your ship to come in. Swim out to it.

Comment

Originally posted by nogigglingmajor View Post
          Because this was just brilliant and worth re-posting!!!! *goes off to watch commentary*
          Enjoy! Some things might not all be in the commentary--I know there's a 'making of' thing on the DVD too, so you may want to check that out.
          Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Am I killing you guys with the discussion posts? Should I stop? I feel like this is one of the the Sparkiest episodes, yet only one person has responded with anything...

Let me know if it's not something y'all are interested in and I'll stop.
            NO!!! Keep 'em coming! I really like reading them, even though I may not always have something insightful to say in response.

First...Rodney and Elizabeth playacting...

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...ll/111x495.jpg

Hee! I think Rodney's ability to lie has improved since the pier. I love the daggers Elizabeth shoots at him when he asks for her 'second' sequence of numbers (at this point are they still worried Kolya would only spare her because of her 'codes?')
            That was how I interpreted that scene. Now that Kolya's played (and wasted!) the "fake-out Sheppard" card, they all know he'd have to go through with it for real next time.

Elizabeth's Speech to Kolya

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...ll/111x536.jpg

I'm a bit biased, but this speech still gives me chills. She was strong, yet Torri plays her as though she's frightened and desperate, too.
            She's got strength in her desperation. I think at this point, she figured she had absolutely nothing to lose.

I don't have a picture of it, but another favorite line is John's laying out of the plan to ambush Kolya. He's so...military. I like how he short-answers Teyla, too--very no nonsense, as in 'this isn't the time to question'. But he's not mean--just commanding. And what he says to Ford...*whoosh* "You don't need that thing. Shoot to kill." Yikes, people, look out. Of course, his decision to shut the gate on over 50 soldiers was also a 'yikes' moment.
            Yup, he went totally cold while he was on his commando rampage earlier; finding out Elizabeth was still alive thawed the chill a little bit. But just a little bit. After all, he's still got to save the girl.

And the Coup d' Grace--the rescue sequence:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...ll/111x556.jpg
            I love how Torri looks in this picture...so scared. And Robert's holding her so closely--it really was a tense moment.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...ll/111x561.jpg
            Look at those EYES. *shivers*

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...ll/111x558.jpg
            What do you think she's thinking? Shoot? Don't Shoot? Oh, God, I'm going to be killed? Please, help me? Don't let him take me? I honestly have no clue.

Um, how confident is John? Apparently he's had markmanship training.

What's really interesting is how much he's willing to risk not to let Kolya take her. It was a close, close shot, but what would the consequences have been if he'd not fired, and let Kolya take Elizabeth as a hostage? (I know Wormhole has tried to answer that *shameless plug for An Eye for an Eye*)

Why wasn't John willing to let that happen? Was it already too much, after thinking he lost her, to run the risk of losing her again? Did he believe Elizabeth would have wanted him to take the shot? Was he thinking at all?
            Special Ops mad skillz. The training is so intense that it becomes instinct, and one really doesn't have to think at all. He did deliver the coup d'grace to Sumner in Rising, and I wonder if he may have had to do something like this even before that.

Elizabeth may well know the answer to that; she's seen his record, and probably was cleared to see the covert stuff that he could never tell Nancy about. Still, reading it in a file couldn't have prepared her for being thrust into the middle of such a situation and coming face-to-face with John in his element as a professionally trained warrior.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...ll/111x562.jpg
            http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...ll/111x564.jpg
            http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...ll/111x563.jpg

On the commentary, one of the writers said they loved how Torri says the line "No" after John asks her if she's alright. I agree--great line, great acting. No, of course you're not alright, the person who took you hostage just took a 1-2 shot to the chest about 1/2 an inch from your shoulder. She probably should have been a little hard of hearing, too.

I like how John sort of 'breathes' after Kolya's gone. He doesn't stop, but he breathes--the fire's gone from his eyes. He hasn't come down off the hunter's high, yet, but he's got everyone back, safe, and alive. I love he grabs her hand to get her moving again.

And back in the control room...

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...ll/111x571.jpg

Here's John as...John. Not G.I. Joe Sheppard, just John. The interesting note here is now that Elizabeth's safe (and Rodney, too) he's back to being just commanding, but not crazily or fiercely so. He asks Rodney to wait a few moments to let Teyla and Beckett get there. But he does it in that half-lazy, half-stern command voice of his, with a touch of urgency but not desperation ('then give them two minutes!'). Notice how they are standing together in the above picture, too...like they've both gained strength and normalcy from each other. They're back to Sheppard and Weir. I love that.
            They balance each other. They really are a great pairing of opposites, and because of that, having her there, knowing she's safe, makes him feel safe. He can finally let his guard down.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...ll/111x608.jpg
            http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...ll/111x613.jpg

And our final scene. My second favorite line of the episode:

Elizabeth: Maybe we can release her as a sign of good will.
            John: You're very optimistic, you know that?
            Elizabeth: You think so?

You know what gives me warm fuzzies about this scene? How he says that line--as though he's thinking "I almost lost this. I'm glad I didn't." That's the feeling I get, anyway <----------Sparky SHIPPER.
            *squees* In some ways, I see this bit as a bit of a parallel in spirit to the "you're a hopeless romantic" line in The Long Goodbye...

Notice Liz's turtleneck is unzipped! John's tac vest is gone! Ah, comfort--the subtlety is never lost on us!
            They found the closet in Elizabeth's office and had a quick make-out session...

Thanks to the freakin' powers that be we'll never see another storm on Lantea, will we? Ah, the symbolic irony of that statement now. >8D
            Of course, didn't they say those big freak storms only come around every 20 years or so? So I guess we wouldn't have seen another one, anyway.

And yes...you notice I didn't mention the catfight. Why? I think it's one of the stupidest plot points evah. I don't object to catfighting, but PLACEMENT! I give no credence to whomever thought that was a good idea. I'd love to have seen Teyla kick Sora's A$$, but don't you think it would have done for another episode? Why then? To break up the suspense of the control room stuff? To see two women duke it out? Why on Earth would either Teyla or Sora have decided that was a good time to duel? I thought they were both smarter than that.

It's the only thing in "The Eye" I completely skip over every time.
            Given how Sora was doing the whole spoiled brat routine the whole way through, I'm not surprised she went for the fight. As for Teyla, she had to take down Sora to keep her from getting in the way of Teyla getting Beckett back up to the gateroom before Rodney had to turn the shield on. So it wasn't really breaking up the suspense of the control room scenes, more like adding to it.

That said, the fight itself was gratuitous. Just have Teyla do some mad banto sticks skillz and whack Sora over the head, and be done with it.
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Enjoy! Some things might not all be in the commentary--I know there's a 'making of' thing on the DVD too, so you may want to check that out.
              Your analysis has been so good we don't have much to add.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post

Special Ops mad skillz. The training is so intense that it becomes instinct, and one really doesn't have to think at all. He did deliver the coup d'grace to Sumner in Rising, and I wonder if he may have had to do something like this even before that.

Elizabeth may well know the answer to that; she's seen his record, and probably was cleared to see the covert stuff that he could never tell Nancy about. Still, reading it in a file couldn't have prepared her for being thrust into the middle of such a situation and coming face-to-face with John in his element as a professionally trained warrior.
              I think even though Elizabeth had seen his record, she must have been unprepared for Rambo!John in reality. This was the first time she had seen him in commando mode and it must have been a shock. She was looking at him in a whole new way. But you know what, it didn't scare her. She was able to accept him as he is. He was still John to her and she knew he would save her.

That shot would have been impossible at the best of times. The best Marine sniper couldn't have done it.
              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                I think even though Elizabeth had seen his record, she must have been unprepared for Rambo!John in reality. This was the first time she had seen him in commando mode and it must have been a shock. She was looking at him in a whole new way. But you know what, it didn't scare her. She was able to accept him as he is. He was still John to her and she knew he would save her.
                Exactly. Once she got over the inevitable "OMFG, I nearly got killed!" shock, she was able to look at him and think, "This is who he is. This is what he is. And that's what will save our *sses from the Wraith." And she was right on the money on that one.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                That shot would have been impossible at the best of times. The best Marine sniper couldn't have done it.
                Well, we Sparky shippers all know that John had motivation even the best Marine sniper wouldn't have had. Kolya had John's woman, and there was no way in hell that Kolya was taking Elizabeth through that gate. Rawr! Go Sparky!
                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                  OT but important for your fellow poster:

Spoiler:
                  I'm moving! I'm gonna live on my own! Please cross your fingers for me people!
                  Yay for Anuna!!! You go girl!!

No, don't stop! I don't have time for anything in depth at the moment, but I'm loving your reviews with pics. Good stuff.

And now it's time for Sparky urban legend #2. (I'm pretty sure JF was the one who told this one.) When John grabs Elizabeth's hand, it wasn't scripted. Joe was afraid Torri was so cold she couldn't move so he grabbed her hand to help her along. Just one more example of how well they worked together.
                  sigpic
                  sig by SueKay

My Team:

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Eyes View Post
                    And now it's time for Sparky urban legend #2. (I'm pretty sure JF was the one who told this one.) When John grabs Elizabeth's hand, it wasn't scripted. Joe was afraid Torri was so cold she couldn't move so he grabbed her hand to help her along. Just one more example of how well they worked together.
                    Awww, that's a sweet story! JoeF is such a gentleman!

Comment

did he? aww.. how cute
                      though with unplanned stuff like that they put our sparky!hopes up and then they dont know why we ship them because it just happend by accident *rofl*

Comment

Originally posted by Torri012 View Post
                        did he? aww.. how cute
                        though with unplanned stuff like that they put our sparky!hopes up and then they dont know why we ship them because it just happend by accident *rofl*
                        We ship them because they act naturally with each other, and they act naturally because it wasn't scripted it was just helping out a friend. Although if it was scripted it probably would have worked anyway because TH and JF have great on screen chemistry and seem to let their characters have a life of their own. Its the reason the tension the ptb were going for in the 1st season didn't work because it wasn't what the characters were like particularly as Weir was meant to be an expert at diffusing tense situations lol.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ice Wolf View Post
                          We ship them because they act naturally with each other, and they act naturally because it wasn't scripted it was just helping out a friend. Although if it was scripted it probably would have worked anyway because TH and JF have great on screen chemistry and seem to let their characters have a life of their own. Its the reason the tension the ptb were going for in the 1st season didn't work because it wasn't what the characters were like particularly as Weir was meant to be an expert at diffusing tense situations lol.
                          lol true.
                          i was just wondering before what else could have been 'unscripted' what made us squeeee the kiss sure wasnt *rofl*

Comment

Originally posted by Torri012 View Post
                            lol true.
                            i was just wondering before what else could have been 'unscripted' what made us squeeee the kiss sure wasnt *rofl*
                            I'm betting Torri's tone and mannerisms in Inferno were unscripted or at least not what the writers had envisaged. That whole scene might have been unscripted considering all the flirting. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the Sheppard/Weir scenes involved some adlibbing and playing around with after the scripted version had been filmed. A lot of the moments I think have more to do with the actors, directors and editors than with the writers. i.e. the people who see what works as opposed to those who generally write what they want to work. That's what I love about this ship its all the little things. It's how the lines are said, how the scenes are edited more than what is said. Also that so many of the moments are just them by themselves playing off each other. They could probably have a whole episode just with them playing off each other and it would work.

WOW my 1000th post. Jor wants to have a costume party but can't decide between his Devil costume, System Lord costume or Pirate costume.
                            Last edited by Ice Wolf; 26 March 2008, 03:03 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

I don't think they stick to the script much. Maybe in the first year of filming but as the show progresses, i think the actors say their lines and add extra stuff jsut to make it sound or look better. In season 4 Of SG-1 the Window of Opp episode was almsot completly improv by RDA and CJ. The Hug between Sam and Vala in The Road Not Taken wasn't scripted.

I think as the show gets older the more daring the actors come to adding their own thing.
                              Thanks to Nad for my awesome sig!
                              Proud member of the SSHSOP, S.H.I.P and MOP!

Comment

Yay for Anuna!!! You go girl!!

No, don't stop! I don't have time for anything in depth at the moment, but I'm loving your reviews with pics. Good stuff.

I can completely believe that. Just like DH trying to shield Torri from the rain story that actually made it onto the commentaries.

What is the urban legend #1 though?

Congratulations on the 1000 posts Ice!! Have some green.
                                sig made by me

Comment

Working...
                                X