Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    Between that and cleaning the stadium, I think Japan is schooling everyone in How To World Cup this time out.
    Oh dear. Good luck to Croatia! But at least if they lose, it's to a decent team and not one who is playing dirty. Monday, 10am EST. Reminder to myself.

Comment

I was about to say "good luck team USA" but when I just turned it on, the Netherlands just scored their second goal right before half-time. USA has 0.

I'll stick with Croatia.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
        I was about to say "good luck team USA" but when I just turned it on, the Netherlands just scored their second goal right before half-time. USA has 0.
        Saw a tweet from the official presiden Biden account where he goes "It's called soccer" and my first reaction was "That's cute... soccer... *snort*...It's called Football, my friend! Football!".
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family and College Football Saturday! I'd normally say good luck to everyone's teams, but none of them are playing today...

...except mine did last night. On this week's College Football Roundup: After a promising start, USC crashed and burned against Utah in the Pac-12 Championship, 47-24. Ye gods, that game got ugly in a hurry. So, we won't be continuing to the college playoffs, but with an 11-2 record, we'll end up in a bowl game somewhere. Next week, Navy has it's annual showdown against Army to close out the regular season. On to glory!

Oh dear. Good luck to Croatia! But at least if they lose, it's to a decent team and not one who is playing dirty. Monday, 10am EST. Reminder to myself.
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

USA lost to Netherlands 3-1. I still don't understand how the time works. I get that there's extra time added on for breaks in the game, but it still seems strange.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

Saw a tweet from the official president Biden account where he goes "It's called soccer" and my first reaction was "That's cute... soccer... *snort*...It's called Football, my friend! Football!".

Well, it's soccer here. Then again, we're the only ones still not using Metric, so..... we're a little *different* here. I mean, really, our "football" only occasionally has a foot hitting the ball. So it's oddly named for sure.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty
            Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family and College Football Saturday! I'd normally say good luck to everyone's teams, but none of them are playing today...

...except mine did last night. On this week's College Football Roundup: After a promising start, USC crashed and burned against Utah in the Pac-12 Championship, 47-24. Ye gods, that game got ugly in a hurry. So, we won't be continuing to the college playoffs, but with an 11-2 record, we'll end up in a bowl game somewhere. Next week, Navy has it's annual showdown against Army to close out the regular season. On to glory!
            Sorry about the loss to Utah!! Overall, a very good record though!! Let us know which bowl they end up playing.​

Comment

Good afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday!

USA lost to Netherlands 3-1. I still don't understand how the time works. I get that there's extra time added on for breaks in the game, but it still seems strange.
              Agreed, it's weird.

Well, it's soccer here. Then again, we're the only ones still not using Metric, so..... we're a little *different* here. I mean, really, our "football" only occasionally has a foot hitting the ball. So it's oddly named for sure.
              I suppose we just wouldn't be the USA if we weren't contrary in something, LOL...

Sorry about the loss to Utah!! Overall, a very good record though!! Let us know which bowl they end up playing.​
              Looks like USC will be in the Cotton Bowl on January 2, playing against Tulane. Whee, 10am (Pacific) start time!
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Extra time is added for those times the game is halted because of something happening on the field, like for example a tackle happening and the player needs medical care to get back up, or players being switched during the game. Any delay during the official play time of 45 minutes is basically cause for extra time.

And also, it should be noted that in these knock-out games, if the score is still 0-0 after 90 minutes (+ extra time) then they have to play an extra 30 minutes -- 2 games of 15 minutes each. If at that time, it's still 0-0, they go to shoot-outs. Each team gets 5 penalty shots, and if the score is still a draw after those 5 (10 in total), it goes to sudden death -- the first team to score a point wins.

Mark Rutte -- the Dutch prime minister -- actually responded to Biden's tweet about it being called soccer and better luck next time to the US team. The Biden team replied that it was actually "voetbal" in Mark's case.

Comment

I just lost an entire post. GW ate it and pretended it was a security token issue lol.

The gist of it was, I really need to start following football/soccer. That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Zandras_Ashes View Post
                    The gist of it was, I really need to start following football/soccer. That is all.
                    Nah... it's not as exciting as you might think.

Just a bunch of woosies running after a ball and crying out when another players steps on their toes (literally speaking).

Actually, the female soccer competition is a lot more fun. They don't roll around the grass that much. Made of much tougher material.

Comment

I'm watching Croatia vs. Japan and I'm annoyed with the drums. Like, enough already!!

Annnnd Japan just scored. Ugh!!

I suppose we just wouldn't be the USA if we weren't contrary in something, LOL...
                      This is true. I was chatting with some online friends from England and apparently they use both metric and imperial which sounds confusing!

Looks like USC will be in the Cotton Bowl on January 2, playing against Tulane. Whee, 10am (Pacific) start time!
                      Cool!!!

Originally posted by Falcon Horus
                      And also, it should be noted that in these knock-out games, if the score is still 0-0 after 90 minutes (+ extra time) then they have to play an extra 30 minutes -- 2 games of 15 minutes each. If at that time, it's still 0-0, they go to shoot-outs. Each team gets 5 penalty shots, and if the score is still a draw after those 5 (10 in total), it goes to sudden death -- the first team to score a point wins.
                      Has it ever gone down to sudden death??

Mark Rutte -- the Dutch prime minister -- actually responded to Biden's tweet about it being called soccer and better luck next time to the US team. The Biden team replied that it was actually "voetbal" in Mark's case.
                      Okay that's funny.

Just a bunch of woosies running after a ball and crying out when another players steps on their toes (literally speaking).

Actually, the female soccer competition is a lot more fun. They don't roll around the grass that much. Made of much tougher material.
                      Yeah, the "acting" going on with some of these falls is just soooo bad.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

Extra time is added for those times the game is halted because of something happening on the field, like for example a tackle happening and the player needs medical care to get back up, or players being switched during the game. Any delay during the official play time of 45 minutes is basically cause for extra time.
                        Huh. Very different from American football, the clock stops for various things (points scored, ball/ball carrier down, ball out of bounds, end of quarter/half, medical hold for a player, coach calling a timeout, etc.), and then resumes when the next play starts.

Ah, overtime. Oh the shenanigans that entails...

*snorts*​

I'm watching Croatia vs. Japan and I'm annoyed with the drums. Like, enough already!!
                        Eh, it's their thing. Like cleaning up the stadium afterward.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Comment

Croatia beat Japan in penalty shots! Next up... Brazil. That's on Friday.

Comment

Lol, noted. I just had a lovely mental image of men running around in sheer chaos while the women get it done

Comment

Has it ever gone down to sudden death??
                                Yes, it has.

There have been 2 sudden deaths or golden goal's (as they are sometimes called) in football history:
                                Germany vs France
                                The semi-finale of the 1982 world championship -- 12 attempts to finish the game in favor of Germany

Roumania vs Sweden
                                The 1994 world championship in the US -- 12 attempts to finish the game in favor of Sweden

They are also known as the longest shoot-out. A record which has yet to be broken by any other country.

Yeah, the "acting" going on with some of these falls is just soooo bad.
                                Sometimes they also fake a fault, but when they are caught doing it, they get carded (yellow for a first offence -- 2 yellows make a red which is expulsion from the game and no substitute).

Neymar (Brazil) is infamous for his "schwalbe's" -- faking a fault. He's also not ashamed to fall down within the 16 meter lines which would grant the team a penalty (generally speaking those are easy goals to make).

There are entire youtube video's of his antics on the field.

However, in order to stop players from "faking" it, they get carded and you carry them with you the entire tournament. 2 yellows in separate games means you're missing the next game. 2 yellows in the same game, equals a red and expulsion as I mentioned above.

One of the most hilarious moments as of yet was Vincent Aboubakar of Cameroon. He had received a yellow card earlier in the game for a fault, then he scored a goal at the end (by that time Cameroon was already out of the competition anyways) and took off his shirt (which they can't do -- there are rules) and thus got a second yellow, and was send off the field with a red card.

However, the situation was so funny that he got a pat on the head from the referee and everyone was just laughing.

Huh. Very different from American football, the clock stops for various things (points scored, ball/ball carrier down, ball out of bounds, end of quarter/half, medical hold for a player, coach calling a timeout, etc.), and then resumes when the next play starts.
                                Stopping the time has been discussed as an alternative for extra time.
                                It would make more sense to do that, though time-outs don't exist in our football.

Eh, it's their thing. Like cleaning up the stadium afterward.
                                And a lot better too than the boo'ing and whistling of the Moroccans.

Comment

Working...
                                X