Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
    Shhhh. Someone might call you ignorant or even racist for saying something like that. One must not offend polyamorous nomads because they know how to live their lifes without silly culturological restraints we Earthlings suffer from.

On a serious note, here's one thing that always bugged me. Just how advanced ARE Athosians? I haven't seen eps in a while (I'm planning a rewatch) but from what I remember they live in tents, grow plants and hunt for food. I don't remember seeing technology of any sort in their settlemnts, minus that wraith pendant Teyla thought was jewlery. Could it be said then that they can't tell a piece of technology from a non - technological object? Especially if their, ahem, leader, can't tell the difference?

Also, it wasn't explained who built that ruined city on Athos. Athosians? If they did at some point of time, then why were they living in tents? Also, is there just one tribe of Athosians in whole Pegasus? And how many are there? I didn't get the impression there were many of them, which probably caused some problems of practical nature when it came to marriages and procreation. Which kind of blows away the polyamorous nomads thing, because if you don't keep it staright with whom you slept and whose baby you had and who is your close relative you could end up with serious genetic problems. Just sayin'. I doubt they would practice the polyamorous mentality then.

Marrying among other Pegasus nationalities seems reasonable, but I have a feeling the Athosians are pretty strict when it coms to not abandoning your original group. Remeber how Teyla is all about mypeoplemypeopleMYFREAKINPEOPLE. Which possibly means whoever married a Athosian also becomes an Athosian (which is another reason why I just don't see John with Teyla. He picked a side at the very beginning, in 'Suspicion' andit wasn't Athosan side. I higly doubt he would become one. Hey, don't glare at me. It's canon. )

On safe sex, I wouldn't say they don't know how to protect themselves from unwated pregnancies. Many old cultures from Earth had a very good idea about preventing pregnancies. Do you know that Ancient Egyptians used condoms? Granted, those weren't as efficient as modern ones, but I wouldn't assume that Athosians are completely unaware of how procreation works. Not advnaced doesn't equate to being completely ignorant. (that still doesn't prove they're polyamorous nomads, lol).

Also, if Athosians (obviously) don't use technology, how much of a treat are they to Wraith? "My people are strong and proud" and they're fierce warriors yadda yadda yadda is all nice, but you can't really go to fight with couple of sticks against space vampyres with stunners. Just few things that bother me when Athosians are in question.

IMO, they are not technologically advanced and rely on farming, hunting and hiding strategies when Wraith hunt them down. I doubt they actuall fight against wraith. They are obviously traders, and trading for information probably helps them stay safe and hidden/avoid the Wraight (which is simply my assumption, because it wasn't mentioned in canon, but tell me - how logical it is for a relatively small group of people to stay on the sameplanet, relatively unprotected and not move when they learn the Wraith are about to strike? Then again, if the Wraith attacks happened once in fifty years....).
    I assume Athosians have useful connections, specially for trading for crops and other kinds of food, but on large scale of things? I doubt they're big players in Pegasus.
    The problem I've always had with the Athosians (and the pegasus natives in general) is that even after a culling, it's not like their knowledge base has completely disappeared. Earth didn't revert to the 1800's after WWI & WWII.

I'm also not sure on the lineage of the Athosians. In The Gift, we learn that the Athosians actually split in two, when the group that the Wraith had experimented on were expelled from the rest of the community. I got the general impression that the Athosians were a much larger population, perhaps spread out over quite a few settlements.

Originally posted by Fionnait View Post
    Celebration Day! *cough* I just had breakfast and put it immediately away into the dishwasher and now the kitchen is tidy and clean again. Wohoooo!

Back to on topic. I don't think Torri looks old in general. I think she does in the pilot and at the beginning of S1, because she is way to thin there. She doesn't look at pretty as she does some time later, either.
    It's just because of that first impression and the fact that usually women are cast younger than the age of their role that people claim that crap. Look at Hugh Grant and Emma Thompson. In Sense and Sensibility they play a couple and people complained that she was way too old for him, when they are really the same age, give or take 2 years.
    It totally annoys me, but I don't think I'll suffer from this kind of ageism any time soon, as I still look like 15 at the age of 25... *sigh*
    It really irks me, mostly because of the double standard (and Torri does not look old). From what I've observed, the people that say Weir looks too old for Shep use that as a justification for a Shep/Teyla pairing. Teyla is supposed to quite a bit younger than John (and I find Teyla looks older than Rachel, that wig ages her). But age is a secondary issue anyway.

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
    The only piece of real technology that I remember them using was the cool lighter in 'Hide and Seek'.
    And I think they got them through trading, because I can't see them assembling that themselves.

They are good fighters, but I think they mainly use those skills to protect themselves when they're attacked (either by Wraith or off-world). I don't think they'd actually hunt them down like Ronon did.

We've had ways against unwanted pregnancies for almost as long as people figured out how kids were made. Some (condoms) better than others (eating mule droppings). So I'm sure the Athosians figured out something too.

They are a proud people who'd prolly do anything to protect themselves and their culture. It's a shame tptb/tptw never went deeper into them... but what else are we used from them?

I think there's a longer period between the larger cullings than 50 years. The small ones happen regularly, because the guardians need food. John woke them up about 50 years too soon, but I'm not sure if it's ever been said how long it takes between the large planet- and culture killing cullings.
    Which, given how important the Wraith are to the show, you'd think we'd know.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
      It really irks me, mostly because of the double standard (and Torri does not look old). From what I've observed, the people that say Weir looks too old for Shep use that as a justification for a Shep/Teyla pairing. Teyla is supposed to quite a bit younger than John (and I find Teyla looks older than Rachel, that wig ages her). But age is a secondary issue anyway.
      Maybe they confuse age with maturity? (Although Teyla is pretty mature, but that is rarely apparent, because she is reduced to wallpaper and does not have a truly responsible position anymore.)

Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

Comment

Elizabeth doesn't seem at all older than Sheppard IMHO, but if she did ... does it matter?
        We're in 2010 for crying out loud! Do really age, race, even gender still matter? I don't think so.
        Sheppard and Weir are meant to be. Period.

And stealing Steve Perry's song title:

Spoiler:

Young hearts forever
        Don't wait one moment in time
        Love is forever
        (with somebody like you, yeah)
        The young hearts survive

Comment

Maybe they confuse age with maturity? (Although Teyla is pretty mature, but that is rarely apparent, because she is reduced to wallpaper and does not have a truly responsible position anymore.)
          It was always a bit of a grey area - she was the leader of her people, but left them. They never actually said who was in charge after that (presumably it was Halling, but he was the only other one we actually heard about).

As for maturity, Teyla is very mature. It seems she had a lot of responsibility from a young age.

Originally posted by nephtys59 View Post
          Elizabeth doesn't seem at all older than Sheppard IMHO, but if she did ... does it matter?
          We're in 2010 for crying out loud! Do really age, race, even gender still matter? I don't think so.
          Sheppard and Weir are meant to be. Period.

And stealing Steve Perry's song title:

Spoiler:

Young hearts forever
          Don't wait one moment in time
          Love is forever
          (with somebody like you, yeah)
          The young hearts survive
          Not to me. It's an illogical arguement IMO. There's a lot more to compatability than age
          sigpic

Comment

There are many things to say but I will comment on it.lol

OT
            Spoiler:
            Oh my god, I think we're going to win the European Song Contest! I never thought this would happen during my lifetime!
            But very few points from France, je suis decue, Probie!
            And I have a dishwasher!!
            Don't be sorry. We are always behind but for me Eurovision is more a politic thing and a very old show. Politic because countries vote for their neighbor or their friends (Greece, Malta, Cyprus and Russia, Ukraine and Spain, Portugal, France, England). It always like this. It's not a suprise if some countries don't want to participate in this show. But hey France had a bad song so not a surprise. And old because those songs are strange and the costumes are weird too.
            And congratulations Germany!

Just saw that Portugla was 18. It's not so bad.lol

But Hey we have the Europe football cup.lol
            Last edited by Probie; 30 May 2010, 03:14 AM.
            sigpic
            Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Surprisingly, NZ actually won a game at the world cup. I wish I'd put money on that.

And to get the thread vaguely back on topic

Spoiler:

And then, he moved behind me and started to....
              STOP!! I don't know why you're telling me this Elizabeth
              Because I think I might've fused a disc in my back. I'm stuck in this position Carson
              sigpic

Comment

surprisingly, nz actually won a game at the world cup. I wish i'd put money on that.

Spoiler:
                [ATTACH]26076[/ATTACH]
                Stop!! I don't know why you're telling me this elizabeth
                Because i think i might've fused a disc in my back. I'm stuck in this position carson
                lol
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                  lol
                  Too much?
                  sigpic

Comment

Too much?
                    It was short I know but I didn't sleep so don't expect long post.lol
                    But yes your post was funny.
                    sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                      [ATTACH]26076[/ATTACH]
                      STOP!! I don't know why you're telling me this Elizabeth
                      Because I think I might've fused a disc in my back. I'm stuck in this position Carson
                      ROFL!!!! Hilarious!!!!!!!!

Sig by me

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                        It was short I know but I didn't sleep so don't expect long post.lol
                        But yes your post was funny.
                        I'm not really too sure what the boundaries are here for good taste, so presumably they'll get modded if I cross the line
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm not really too sure what the boundaries are here for good taste, so presumably they'll get modded if I cross the line
                          No it was just perfect. I like your special humor. For me, you didn't cross the line but I'm not a moderator. Just don't change.

Time to spend some time with my mom for her day. Yes mother's day in France.
                          See you later if I survive.
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm watching Raines, not sure if any of you watch this too, so a quick recap of what it's about.
                            There's this cop who has the murder victims of the crimes he's investigating bugging him in his mind and walking around (sorta investigating with him), talking to him (making it look like he's talking to himself, cause no one else can see them), they drive along in his car, wake up with him in bed. Really, just bugging him endlessly until he solved their murder.
                            And I was just thinking that Torri would be excellent in the role of murder victim. Bugging the crap out off Raines until he found her killer And I'd like to see the chemistry between Torri and Jeff Goldblum. I don't know why, but I think they'd have some good chemistry. Nothing that'll come close to the Sparky chemistry, but you get what I mean, right?

Sig by me

Comment

Ya'll got so far ahead of me last night I may never catch up, but I'm going to back up and try.

[ATTACH]26070[/ATTACH]
                              No need to do your review this year, Richard. Apparently I'm being fired, I don't look hot enough
                              :woolsey: Puhleeease. What idiot told you that?

Atlantis came home (the real one), SK was our eye on the sky for that.

Joe said to someone at the UK con that the stupid PTW fired Torri for not looking sexy enough. He then went on to say that he thinks she's hot, and looks sexier in person (he allegedly said that, and I'm paraphrasing).

We had a discussion on John's depression, or lack of it. And how if people think that he has it, then surely Carter would be at a greater risk of having situational depression than him.

SR cooked a stroganoff for Mr SR, then they went to a vineyard.

That's just off the top of my head, there's plenty more

Edited to add:

And apparently the Athosians are polyamorous nomads. And John likes Teyla to do things with him that I can't say on GW. But it involves tools. No they are not building a house This is all according to the author of the new novel, hence what started the depression discussion
                              Excellent summary. You may have to become our official historian.

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                              *LOL* That was perfect and I think all I needed! Though I will add a SQUEE MAJORUS for Joe and his total awesomeness!

Polyamorous what??? Since when does a race of people who have only moved twice in their lives been considered nomads? And polyamorous? Where the heck did that come from? Seriously screwed up, some people... =\
                              I got so caught up in the polyamorous part of that statement I forgot that they're really not nomads. I'll have more to add on that later.

Yep, the man is pretty cool. If he'd just come out now and said that, I might've thought it was simply him having a gripe with TPTW, but he's been pretty supportive of Torri all the way through. Cool in my book.

And their moving was a direct result of Earth's interference. They never did explain what happened to that city in Rising (was it another Atlantis??).

Maybe the novel wont be that bad, it'd have to be toned down considerably from what is in the author's fanfiction *shrugs*
                              Emphasis on the word considerably.

I could be objective (or open up a packet of killjoy) and say its because it's easier for the cameraman to get the two-shot when he's sitting on the desk as opposed to being further away. But that would imply they've had the discussion and been told to invade each other's personal space by TPTW.

That leaves the only logical conclusion, Joe thinks Shep is crushing on Weir. What?
                              I noticed that at times he sort of leaned against Carter and Woolsey's desks but never actually sat. Now I wonder if that was a conscious choice. You know how paranoid these people were about things looking shippy.

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
                              Good morning Sparkies

On the polyamorous nomads (my gosh, I even know how to write it now): it's weird that when they're polyamorous, Haling only has one son an Teyla doesn't have a whole bunch of kids running around when the SGA team runs into them. Because, well, nomads with such low living standards and low technology wouldn't know a way to have "save" sex, would they?
                              Oh, my dear, another element in the new novels is that Torren is not Teyla's first child. So I'm sure all the little kiddies got culled. LOL
                              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                                Oh, my dear, another element in the new novels is that Torren is not Teyla's first child. So I'm sure all the little kiddies got culled. LOL
                                Oh yes, and obviously Teyla is crushed by loosing all her little kiddies and looks for comfort in John's arms... and since she's polyamorous, in every other men's arms... maybe with some women too

Sig by me

Comment

Working...
                                X