Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
    Ok, I've had this idea in my had for a couple of days and this morning I decided to start working on it...
    It's a Season 6 website. I don't know if anyone else was already working on this. But we have to create something for webdesign in school and this seemed like the perfect subject
    It's not online yet, because I want to discuss names. sga6.com or sparkyseason6.com or sgaseason6.com
    It's basically a website that shows the progress of the episodes, but doesn't show what's happening behind the scenes. We'd still be using LJ for that.
    But this would be the place to direct interested parties too, like, for example, actors
    Anyway, let me know what you guys think about it and if I should continue with it for our cause or not.

Below is a print-screen and the larger version can be found here.
    From the moment we decide what address we want, I can put it online.
    Also, it's obviously still a WIP
    While a website is certainly something we should discuss once we start writing and get a few episodes for people to read, I think it's a little premature at the present. I like what you've done but launching it now would only frustrate people when they have nothing to read. Fanfic is a funny grey area that up until now has been off limits for discussion with anyone connected with an actual show. I'm not sure how that unwritten rule applies after a show is canceled. Plus we may have copyright issues.

We need mucho feedback from everyone on this.
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Ok, I've had this idea in my had for a couple of days and this morning I decided to start working on it...
      It's a Season 6 website. I don't know if anyone else was already working on this. But we have to create something for webdesign in school and this seemed like the perfect subject
      It's not online yet, because I want to discuss names. sga6.com or sparkyseason6.com or sgaseason6.com
      It's basically a website that shows the progress of the episodes, but doesn't show what's happening behind the scenes. We'd still be using LJ for that.
      But this would be the place to direct interested parties too, like, for example, actors
      Anyway, let me know what you guys think about it and if I should continue with it for our cause or not.

Spoiler:
      I think this is a brilliant idea and I had the same idea for the episode once they were written.

However, I think we could use this for displaying our banners and icons and avas and stuff. Thoughts?

Two things, though--

1) for the actual episodes I'd love to have a little more 'glitz', like Flash, involved.

2) For the episodes, I was thinking about reaching out to our 'creative' community and seeing if there were any really talented artists who might be willing to draw headers depicting scenes from our stories. Killdeer presented a link to one from an artist a little while back that showed Teyla holding Rodney next to a fire and we all compared it to SR's eppy "To Build a Fire" and I thought it might be fun to see if we could find some artists to render depictions from each of the stories.

I know we could do manips using old photos, but if we have artists who might be willing, it would be neat to have completely new images for this...

Double thoughts?
      Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
        I think this is a brilliant idea and I had the same idea for the episode once they were written.

However, I think we could use this for displaying our banners and icons and avas and stuff. Thoughts?

Two things, though--

1) for the actual episodes I'd love to have a little more 'glitz', like Flash, involved.

2) For the episodes, I was thinking about reaching out to our 'creative' community and seeing if there were any really talented artists who might be willing to draw headers depicting scenes from our stories. Killdeer presented a link to one from an artist a little while back that showed Teyla holding Rodney next to a fire and we all compared it to SR's eppy "To Build a Fire" and I thought it might be fun to see if we could find some artists to render depictions from each of the stories.

I know we could do manips using old photos, but if we have artists who might be willing, it would be neat to have completely new images for this...

Double thoughts?
        Okay, now that sounds like a good way to use the website even before the eps get written. Maybe a little artsy preview of each?

I've also been thinking about the "Sparky" name. Do you guys think this might turn away potential readers? Should we find a more generic title like Kris suggested?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
          Okay, now that sounds like a good way to use the website even before the eps get written. Maybe a little artsy preview of each?

I've also been thinking about the "Sparky" name. Do you guys think this might turn away potential readers? Should we find a more generic title like Kris suggested?
          I hate to lose the 'Sparky' because that's who we are--if readers are interested enough, they're going to find out who we are. But it may give people the wrong impression if they think it's 22 episodes of nothing but shippiness. Perhaps we change the Season 6 titles and make it written/produced by Sparky Season 6 productions?

Comment

While a website is certainly something we should discuss once we start writing and get a few episodes for people to read, I think it's a little premature at the present. I like what you've done but launching it now would only frustrate people when they have nothing to read. Fanfic is a funny grey area that up until now has been off limits for discussion with anyone connected with an actual show. I'm not sure how that unwritten rule applies after a show is canceled. Plus we may have copyright issues.

We need mucho feedback from everyone on this.
            It's not that because we get it online, we have to start promoting it everywhere. We can keep it low profile at first and once we start uploading the eps, we can start promoting it. The upside of getting it online, is that you guys can log in, and post stuff yourself. The writers can upload their own texts, the artists can upload their own artwork and other stuff like that. I just have to give you permission to do that
            I don't think there will be copyright issues. We're not making any money out of it and I can put a disclaimer on there that all rights still belong to MGM or whoever it belongs to.

Two things, though--

Double thoughts?
            1) I don't know if using Flash for the actual episodes is such a good idea. Most people like a basic outlay to read fic. Not flashy things that keep distracting you. I can however make a Flash intro or something along those lines. Although most people just skip that.
            Also a Flashy site is fun the first couple of times you open it, but it gets mundane after that.

2) Those headers or banners that differ per episode is a great idea!

I hate to lose the 'Sparky' because that's who we are--if readers are interested enough, they're going to find out who we are. But it may give people the wrong impression if they think it's 22 episodes of nothing but shippiness. Perhaps we change the Season 6 titles and make it written/produced by Sparky Season 6 productions?
            I've been thinking about the Sparky title too. I've had friends on LJ who told me they wouldn't read our season 6 because it was Sparky, until I told them that it was only written by Sparky writers and that there wasn't any more Sparky in it than you could see on screen in the other seasons. So I really think we'll chase people away if we keep the Sparky title.
            But yes, saying it's produced by Sparky writers is a good idea.

Sig by me

Comment

It's not that because we get it online, we have to start promoting it everywhere. We can keep it low profile at first and once we start uploading the eps, we can start promoting it. The upside of getting it online, is that you guys can log in, and post stuff yourself. The writers can upload their own texts, the artists can upload their own artwork and other stuff like that. I just have to give you permission to do that
              I don't think there will be copyright issues. We're not making any money out of it and I can put a disclaimer on there that all rights still belong to MGM or whoever it belongs to.

1) I don't know if using Flash for the actual episodes is such a good idea. Most people like a basic outlay to read fic. Not flashy things that keep distracting you. I can however make a Flash intro or something along those lines. Although most people just skip that.
              Also a Flashy site is fun the first couple of times you open it, but it gets mundane after that.

I've been thinking about the Sparky title too. I've had friends on LJ who told me they wouldn't read our season 6 because it was Sparky, until I told them that it was only written by Sparky writers and that there wasn't any more Sparky in it than you could see on screen in the other seasons. So I really think we'll chase people away if we keep the Sparky title.
              There will always be a copyright issue--please don't overlook that or brush it off. I don't think anyone will follow through with it but it is always something we must be sensitive of.

Secondly, having mused on SR's reasoning, I do think she's right in a sense, and that putting up a website now is premature. Our writers haven't even put pen to paper yet. We still don't know how long this process will take. Promoting heavily right now will very much make people forget about us if it takes us 6 months to put out something they can read. Banners and vids only go so far in a viewer/reader's mind.

I agree that promoting beforehand is a good idea, but once SK & I come up with our first drafts of The Return to Pegasus episodes, then perhaps we go ahead and launch the website with previews. Until then, though, I agree with SR that a website plus here plus a LJ site is a bit too much too early.

As for Flash, I was referring to the interface--more an overall flash 'site' rather than flash elements. I am not a fan of splash pages.

Comment

That's what I was thinking too. Sparky says ship to 99% of people.

I guess due to my husband's occupation as a web admin and seeing what happens when the users get posting access...*shudders*... I'm a little leery of letting anyone but the site admin have posting powers. I think all our authors are very trustworthy but we need to have the eps as letter perfect on grammar, etc as humanly possible before they go up. I don't want to look in there one day and have to go "WTF?". If you know what I mean. This includes artwork or anything else also.

And it looks like we're all on the same page with the Sparky title.
                sigpic

Comment

That looks great! I kinda agree that it might be a little early, but I'm definitely liking this idea for the future.

Two things, though--

Double thoughts?
                  I'd be willing to volunteer for drawing some headers. You all have seen some of my stuff before (although it has been a while), so you can decide if I'd be up to standard.
                  sigpic
                  Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

Spoiler:
                    Great idea!
                    It seems so official now.

Two things, though--

Double thoughts?

I wanted to say "me!!!!!" but I can't draw people. But I can draw others stuff. I'm specialist of Stargate, jumpers and others things.

Talking about drawing. Erin I need your help. I'm sick so I didn't work today and I wanted to draw something but I'm a lazy girl so I watched my old drawings to see if I can do something with them. I tried to put some colors in it but I can't do it. And there is one drawing that I always wanted to see what it will be with colors.

Spoiler:

You already do this for me once and I was thinking that maybe you can do it for this one (put colors in it). If you don't want, I can understand and it's not an emergency.

I'd be willing to volunteer for drawing some headers. You all have seen some of my stuff before (although it has been a while), so you can decide if I'd be up to standard.[/QUOTE]
                    Last edited by Probie; 21 May 2010, 07:12 AM.
                    sigpic
                    Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Erin87 View Post
                      That looks great! I kinda agree that it might be a little early, but I'm definitely liking this idea for the future.

I'd be willing to volunteer for drawing some headers. You all have seen some of my stuff before (although it has been a while), so you can decide if I'd be up to standard.
                      Just my opinion--but I was thinking we might commission the art from people outside the thread--for one thing, it would get more SGA fans involved in a general way; and, secondly, I hate to keep piling stuff on the people in here who will already be slammed with the writing requirements for this.

Outside artists mean the Sparkies can all vote together in unison over which artists/art they like best.

Comment

Just my opinion--but I was thinking we might commission the art from people outside the thread--for one thing, it would get more SGA fans involved in a general way; and, secondly, I hate to keep piling stuff on the people in here who will already be slammed with the writing requirements for this.

Outside artists mean the Sparkies can all vote together in unison over which artists/art they like best.
                        An open website. I like this idea more and more.

OT
                        Spoiler:
                        Nice work people. I watched the whole first season of Castle. I love it. Your propaganda works on me.
                        sigpic
                        Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

I love this idea and I think removing the Sparky name will help with that endeavor. People have to first realize that our S6 is not all about the ship. We won't be changing or twisting canon or reinventing characters just to get our ship together. Hopefully the non-shippers can be openminded enough to work with us if they know we're not writing a romance novel.

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                          An open website. I like this idea more and more.

OT
                          Spoiler:
                          Nice work people. I watched the whole first season of Castle. I love it. Your propaganda works on me.
                          Yay! OT

Spoiler:
                          Welcome to the Castle universe. This is the only show that Mr. SR and I watch where we don't FF through the opening sequence. LOL "ruggedly handsome" LOL
                          sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

I definitely like the idea of a website to host the stories and artwork, but I agree that it's probably way too soon to put something up. I see it as very much like how Big Bang works; using LJ to organize the effort, then only once the product is completed, putting it up on a website for the public to enjoy.

I also agree that we should drop the "Sparky" from the title and instead note that Sparky authors are working on the stories. This season is about far more than just Sparky, and the title should reflect that fact.

On a related note, I do think that we should also not use "Season 6" in the project's main title and the web address (.com, .org, whatever we pick). The thing is, we already have plans for a Season 7. So perhaps a more generic "Stargate Atlantis Virtual Season Project" or something like that, to be subtitled with "Season 6," "Season 7" (once we get to it), and so forth. Let's not pigeonhole ourselves too much.

I like that!

I guess due to my husband's occupation as a web admin and seeing what happens when the users get posting access...*shudders*... I'm a little leery of letting anyone but the site admin have posting powers. I think all our authors are very trustworthy but we need to have the eps as letter perfect on grammar, etc as humanly possible before they go up. I don't want to look in there one day and have to go "WTF?". If you know what I mean. This includes artwork or anything else also.
                            I'm rather leery of that, as well. Again going back to the example set forth by Big Bang, the 2-3 organizers are the ones who are site admins and have posting powers; the authors and artists submit their work (and are responsible for making sure that their work meets formatting requirements so that everything will look the same on the website), and the admins are the ones who post it.

I also like this idea! As we've all said, this season is about more than just Sparky, and it would be good for as much of the creative output as possible to reflect that viewpoint.
                            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Spoiler:
                              It's nice, but I feel a little sad not seeing Carson between the main characters.
                              And I believe it should be out when at least the first episodes are written and published.
                              IMHO, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by nephtys59 View Post
                                It's nice, but I feel a little sad not seeing Carson between the main characters.
                                And I believe it should be out when at least the first episodes are written and published.
                                IMHO, obviously.
                                Yeah, I think we need to get the website ready to go when the first eps are published to the comm. We can have a big launch party.

I also agree with taking out the Season 6 part for the title of the website. We could use something like Virtual Atlantis. Something short and not too wordy but gets the point across.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X