Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    Good idea, but probably impossible to stick to. I think we'll end up with no schedule. The fans will have to be patient.

The schedule hasn't been published, but I did answer a couple of comments on the writers' blog with a pretty good explanation of what we're doing. Needless to say, I'll have to do a big "whoopsie nevermind" post. I think people are hooked now and will understand. After all, this is fandom and real life comes first, so I will explain that our writers have full time jobs and so on. I'm sure they will all rather it be the best we can do.

ITA with the idea of getting the eps out to the next 2 writers ASAP. I need to see Trust as soon as it's finished, for example, just to read for TBaF and the editing can be done later. Plus, I think we need to go over our treatment of various characters and plot points with each writer also.

As far as Kanaan is concerned,
    Spoiler:
    I think he would still have a few weak moments. He's not going to turn into super strong leader all at once.
    No, no...

Spoiler:
    He's not all super leader yet. But given his defense of Teyla in RTP II, the tone he uses in my story is just a little off now. Same with Mayel--I have her a little goober-y with John in Trust, but still a little cold in terms of distance, which is not quite right either, given she's cleaning a cut on his forehead in RTP II. Neither are major tweaks, just small ones, but ones that, if I didn't alter them a little, would feel a bit discontinuous.
    Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

*pats gateraid on the back* You did a marvelous job representing SGARising on that other thread. And I was wrong, it turned out fine. I'm sure we'll get more discussion after Trust. LOL
      Well, I don't know that I did that good a job, but you're right in that the wraith discussion is all one of perspective. I'm the first to admit that Todd can be useful, even helpful on occassion, but his motivations are never clear. Other people see it differently. I guess it just comes down to whether or not he's trustworthy, and I don't think he's worth complete trust *shrugs*

Re the timeline discussion, RTP & RTP II are essentially the same episode. You could always stick to the schedule you have now for the remainder of these eps, then have a bigger break before the next one. The schedule as it stands now is actually pretty quick - especially when these have to be written and beta'd. Even stretching out the breaks between chapters would give you guys a little more breathing room
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
        Well, I don't know that I did that good a job, but you're right in that the wraith discussion is all one of perspective. I'm the first to admit that Todd can be useful, even helpful on occassion, but his motivations are never clear. Other people see it differently. I guess it just comes down to whether or not he's trustworthy, and I don't think he's worth complete trust *shrugs*

Re the timeline discussion, RTP & RTP II are essentially the same episode. You could always stick to the schedule you have now for the remainder of these eps, then have a bigger break before the next one. The schedule as it stands now is actually pretty quick - especially when these have to be written and beta'd. Even stretching out the breaks between chapters would give you guys a little more breathing room
        You're right, and I think, baring anything going haywire in the next 24 hrs, we may just make our schedule on the first 2 eps. But #3 will definitely be late. We should have anticipated the carry over between eps, but live and learn, I guess. This means we probably won't make the mid-season break before the Joe/Torri con, but we can tease it at that time. At this point we have to play it by ear. Luckily no one is paying us, so nobody gets fired.
        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Good afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

I've found the posting of each episode segment to be a little fast as well (and that was before my computer had a meltdown this weekend; I had to spend a day sorting out that mess before I could get back to editing). I definitely agree that we need to send out episodes in advance to the next couple of writers. One of the biggest problems I had with working on RtP 2 was that I really needed to have a firm understanding of just what was going on in Part 1 so that Part 2 would pick up right where 1 left off. That was complicated by the whole mess of sorting out the timeline issues with SGU, and I know Eri had serious problems with that as well. Anyone who's writing a story that's going to tie into previous episodes, even if it's just a simple reference, will want to have that information at their fingertips to make sure they get everything right.

As I recall, we had initially plotted out the schedule so that the release of Primum Movens, Part 2 (and thus, the return of Elizabeth) would fall right before that convention in Marseille at the end of October where Joe and Torri will be making a joint appearance. Since Primum Movens is our mid-season two-parter, and there's always been a longer break between the two halves of the season, we could simply stretch the schedule out so that only Part 1 will be posted right before the con, though I don't know if that's really going to give the upcoming writers enough extra time.

ETA: Ah, SR beat me to the con scheduling issue! Yeah, I think we'll just have to try playing this by ear. After all, we've never done this before, so we've still got a learning curve.
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

^^^One of the first things we learned in psych class it takes a few trials to get it right.

Anyway just finished my checkup had to get a shot. But luckily for me I was watching Stargate Atlantis on my Ipad...I love having a fandom.
            BALCONIES
            The Breeding Ground of Ships.
            sigpic

Comment

Continued kudos to Atlantis Rising writers, continuity experts and promoters - I haven't been able to get through all the new chapters yet (da#n RL), but it looks like the project is going well, has been received well and is generating lots of discussion which is a good thing.

Ahhhh.....a few people have mentioned the "blog of doom". I was there too - was kinda an active poster on it for a while back in the day when I was hard core lobbying for Torri's return. Fat lot of good that did me. LOL.

And - just to end on a positive Sparky vibe.....

E - John, we can't leave yet! Our appetizers haven't even arrived yet and that would be rude to Carson & Rodney....

J - Elizabeth, c'mon - I haven't seen you in weeks. I missed you. We have a lot of, um....catching up to do.....
              sigpic
              Signature by Erin87

Comment

Hola, everybody!

I got RL whumped today.
                Spoiler:
                My bratty, thinks-she-can-do-whatever sister took my mom's car to drop off a friend who lives an hour north, then "conveniently" made dinner plans with her boyfriend who's a total jerk and got home 5 hours late. She yelled at my mom and Mom was extremely upset up last night so I stayed up and talked with her.

Then I woke up late this morning and found out we have to move out of our current residence because our landlord broke up with his girlfriend and needs his place back. And we thought we weren't moving again!

Now we're just waiting to see if my sister makes good on her threat to move out and get married before we move in a few months ...

All of this before I had coffee. I am ready to strangle someone.

So other than that, life is same ol, same ol. Fics are still patiently waiting for some TLC, but right now I'm just in a slump and don't want to do anything.

Except read SGA Rising, that is.

Loved what I've read on RtP 2 so far, it was awesome!

I've got some work to do at home, but I'll be lurking!

And yes, 'Nuna, you totally get the nerd badge. *highfive*

Comment

Originally posted by SMB_BOOKS View Post
                  Continued kudos to Atlantis Rising writers, continuity experts and promoters - I haven't been able to get through all the new chapters yet (da#n RL), but it looks like the project is going well, has been received well and is generating lots of discussion which is a good thing.

Ahhhh.....a few people have mentioned the "blog of doom". I was there too - was kinda an active poster on it for a while back in the day when I was hard core lobbying for Torri's return. Fat lot of good that did me. LOL.

And - just to end on a positive Sparky vibe.....

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...turn1_0440.jpg
                  E - John, we can't leave yet! Our appetizers haven't even arrived yet and that would be rude to Carson & Rodney....

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...turn1_0439.jpg
                  J - Elizabeth, c'mon - I haven't seen you in weeks. I missed you. We have a lot of, um....catching up to do.....
                  Perfect, Sharon! Thanks for making me laugh!

Comment

Okay, I'm posting a fic rec quest:

Sparky
                    Comedy
                    Junk food

Any recs??? I desperately need a pick-me-up right now. Moose Tracks just isn't doing the trick at the moment ...

Comment

: I think she likes me, she wants to hug me, she wants to kiss me ...

... Okay. I feel a little better now.
                      Last edited by ShipperWriter; 21 June 2011, 05:51 PM. Reason: Not enough caffeine.

Comment

Hey, quick question to whoever's responsible for the posting of banners and etc on SGARising: one of them is mine. *sheepish shrug* It's credited to Erin, but I was wondering if I can get it credited to me, or reedit it and include my name in the corner, or something???

It's not really a big deal, but just wondering ...

Comment

watching the bounty hunter tonight and i was thinking it would be pretty funny to See John as a bounty hunter trying to take Elizabeth in.

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                            Hey, quick question to whoever's responsible for the posting of banners and etc on SGARising: one of them is mine. *sheepish shrug* It's credited to Erin, but I was wondering if I can get it credited to me, or reedit it and include my name in the corner, or something???

It's not really a big deal, but just wondering ...
                            Sorry about that. Which one is it?
                            sigpic

Comment

You're right, and I think, baring anything going haywire in the next 24 hrs, we may just make our schedule on the first 2 eps. But #3 will definitely be late. We should have anticipated the carry over between eps, but live and learn, I guess. This means we probably won't make the mid-season break before the Joe/Torri con, but we can tease it at that time. At this point we have to play it by ear. Luckily no one is paying us, so nobody gets fired.
                              I don't know what the schedule actually is, but I know from pre-reading them that they come in surprisingly fast, and that they are posted pretty quickly. I assume the readers will be like us - they'll have work committments, or home responsibilities too. I've only been on the SGA Rising site a few times since the first ep was released, so I'm not up with what was actually posted there, or what is expected in terms of deadlines. In fact, until I read a comment on the other thread, I wasn't even aware that an ep had been edited (my what? that wasn't in the original draft was vaguely reminiscent of the sGA commentaries where TPTB weren't aware of what had happened in other eps).

I look at it this way: there's at least a week gap between eps on any aired series. Given that you're posting in greater than one week intervals already, there's a little leeway in the schedule. I'm not saying push it out indefinitely (deadlines can be a good thing), merely slow it down a little. As TLM mused, there's a lot of trial and error in these sorts of things.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                              Good afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

I've found the posting of each episode segment to be a little fast as well (and that was before my computer had a meltdown this weekend; I had to spend a day sorting out that mess before I could get back to editing). I definitely agree that we need to send out episodes in advance to the next couple of writers. One of the biggest problems I had with working on RtP 2 was that I really needed to have a firm understanding of just what was going on in Part 1 so that Part 2 would pick up right where 1 left off. That was complicated by the whole mess of sorting out the timeline issues with SGU, and I know Eri had serious problems with that as well. Anyone who's writing a story that's going to tie into previous episodes, even if it's just a simple reference, will want to have that information at their fingertips to make sure they get everything right.

As I recall, we had initially plotted out the schedule so that the release of Primum Movens, Part 2 (and thus, the return of Elizabeth) would fall right before that convention in Marseille at the end of October where Joe and Torri will be making a joint appearance. Since Primum Movens is our mid-season two-parter, and there's always been a longer break between the two halves of the season, we could simply stretch the schedule out so that only Part 1 will be posted right before the con, though I don't know if that's really going to give the upcoming writers enough extra time.

ETA: Ah, SR beat me to the con scheduling issue! Yeah, I think we'll just have to try playing this by ear. After all, we've never done this before, so we've still got a learning curve.
                              re getting to that con deadline, that may make for an interesting conversation for whomever gets to speak with The Flan - how running a show can be fraught with difficulty at times. Again, I'm not saying slow things down too much. Maybe go with a longer (deliberate) gap between RTP II & ep 3, then dial back the release of chapters after that (scale it back 20%?)

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                              Hola, everybody!

I got RL whumped today.
                              Spoiler:
                              My bratty, thinks-she-can-do-whatever sister took my mom's car to drop off a friend who lives an hour north, then "conveniently" made dinner plans with her boyfriend who's a total jerk and got home 5 hours late. She yelled at my mom and Mom was extremely upset up last night so I stayed up and talked with her.

Then I woke up late this morning and found out we have to move out of our current residence because our landlord broke up with his girlfriend and needs his place back. And we thought we weren't moving again!

Now we're just waiting to see if my sister makes good on her threat to move out and get married before we move in a few months ...

All of this before I had coffee. I am ready to strangle someone.

Yeah, there's been some personal dramas here lately too, but thankfully I don't have to live with them like you do
                              Last edited by gateraid; 22 June 2011, 06:41 AM. Reason: removing any potential coffee stains
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                                I don't know what the schedule actually is, but I know from pre-reading them that they come in surprisingly fast, and that they are posted pretty quickly. I assume the readers will be like us - they'll have work committments, or home responsibilities too. I've only been on the SGA Rising site a few times since the first ep was released, so I'm not up with what was actually posted there, or what is expected in terms of deadlines. In fact, until I read a comment on the other thread, I wasn't even aware that an ep had been edited (my what? that wasn't in the original draft was vaguely reminiscent of the sGA commentaries where TPTB weren't aware of what had happened in other eps).
                                You realize that you are now TPTB also, right? I don't know about you, but my sympathy for them grows daily.

On the schedule, I think what we will do is let the writers use the time they need and we'll publish when everything is ready to their satisfaction. So we'll say Trust will be delayed and then give everybody the heads up when it's close to ready. Maybe when it is in the final editing process. I've given this a lot of thought and have gotten several comments from people who want to know exactly when the next one will be up. They also want more places to comment aside from the discussion thread on GW and the writers' blog on the website. I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't go around every day writing essentially the same comments in 4 or 5 different places. It's hard enough now with these 2-3. I like the discussion thread, but if you don't come here, you feel left out. Sorry to those people but we are already spread very thin, especially the writers and getting more websites will just lead to more duplication. Trying to please everybody is always a bad idea. I have more free time than any of you, so I'm happy to deal with the blog and the comments there. And I will call in reinforcements when I don't know the answer.

Maybe, though, we need to talk to our webmaster about a comment section directly with each chapter. I will also be glad to monitor that.

* I msy have gone too far with that one
                                Uh, maybe. Now I have to clean up all the coffee I sprayed on my computer.

Note to ShipperWriter: Yes, I was up at zero dark thirty replying to your email, but I forgot to send sympathy for your situation. Hope everything works out.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X