No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forget if this is angst or smut or fluff day but this fic is too good not to read on any sort of day. All of the above but not so much fluff. Heavy on the smut.

http://ed-84.livejournal.com/35759.html
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Nearly finished first chapter; your thoughts required? Or any improvements you feel are needed?

Spoiler:
      For the first time in almost two years, a month had passed without any problems from hostile parties.

--

Dr. Weir accompanied SGA-1 for the first time in months. Laura Cadman from SGA-2 guided them to a stone slab, in the form of a rock-bed, which she and her team had discovered on a recent mission to this forestry planet. It was found miles out from the gate, so they had a long walk to endure through the rough terrain.

The photos Major Lorne had shown her during a briefing had peeked her interested and she wanted to get a closer look at the engraved markings since they were barely visible on them.

“Just because it can’t be seen, doesn’t mean they aren’t there.” She remembered telling Lorne as he said they would be difficult to read.

--

Once they had arrived Elizabeth immediately got to work; opening her supply bag and pulled out various pieces of equipment, including some paper and pastels before sitting down in the long grass to begin her work. “This may take some time.” She warned them, as John hovered behind her.

--

“Laura. Is this the only stone your team has discovered?” asked Elizabeth once she’d finished scribbling on the paper that had been placed on top.

“Yes Dr. Weir, we scouted the immediate area and found nothing else. Why do you ask?”

“This stone indicates there are four more dotted about. Doesn’t indicate if they are on this planet though.”

“If my translation is correct there should be…” Elizabeth attempted to lift the stone slab from the lump of rock it sat on, only to find it was too heavy and looked for assistance.

John didn’t need telling, he saw the adventurous look in her eyes and he moved over to help. “What are you expecting to find?”

“On the count of three, we’ll find out.”

John took up a position next to her, and readied his muscles to lift the lid.

As Elizabeth counted down to three, Rodney tried to decipher some text near the bottom he just discovered. He was surprised Elizabeth had missed it. If her hunch was correct their problems would soon be over; for a while at least, on the other hand it could also be the… “Stop!”

Shouted Rodney as Elizabeth hit three and both she and John removed the covering.

Elizabeth had known she was right. A Zero Point Module, sat lifelessly underneath, situated in a machine like slot. Only it wasn’t the usual colour she had expected it to be, this was shaded in blue and green.

The device started glowing the minute the top was removed. A few markings on the stone lit up in the light it created.

“I think we should leave!” Announced Rodney as the sky darkened and electrified clouds started to form overhead.

“Why?” asked John seemingly not afraid of a little storm despite how it had manifested.

“I think I just let the cat out the bag.” answered Elizabeth.

“Meaning.”

Rodney was already moving away. “Meaning we’re in trouble. If we don’t leave soon!”

John sighed and rubbed his face and looked at Elizabeth. “This is definitely the first and last time I let you out.”

“Where’s you sense of adventure?”

“It just opted out. Come on. Everyone back to the gate!”

Elizabeth quickly gathered her things together, but John pulled her away. “Forget it! No time.”

Elizabeth clasped her hand around the last piece of paper she needed before John pulled her to her feet and rushed her towards the gate.
      BEST OF BOTH WORLDS

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
        Hello guys - it's one day before my exam and I'm a wreck of nerves. This learning period I had was more or less successful, I wish I had more time, and certainly more willpower for this.... also, all the legal stuff I had to stomach definitely isn't my kind of thing..... so, the "mission most likely to end up badly is a go", or whatever the quote was. Rec me something fluffy to read? And cross your fingers for me tomorrow.
        Good Luck!!!
        BEST OF BOTH WORLDS

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
          Not sure if anyone has rec'd this vid, and if so, I apologize.
          But if not, it's really good (and sad).
          (spoilers for GiTM)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_unI...s-set-the-fire
          Bad you! You made me cry!
          It was beautiful and so sad... I'm gonna read some fluff now to cheer myself up...
          *sniffle*
          Thanks for sharing btw

Sig by me

Comment

Originally posted by Wormhole View Post
            Nearly finished first chapter; your thoughts required? Or any improvements you feel are needed?

Spoiler:
            For the first time in almost two years, a month had passed without any problems from hostile parties.

--

Dr. Weir accompanied SGA-1 for the first time in months. Laura Cadman from SGA-2 guided them to a stone slab, in the form of a rock-bed, which she and her team had discovered on a recent mission to this forestry planet. It was found miles out from the gate, so they had a long walk to endure through the rough terrain.

The photos Major Lorne had shown her during a briefing had peeked her interested and she wanted to get a closer look at the engraved markings since they were barely visible on them.

“Just because it can’t be seen, doesn’t mean they aren’t there.” She remembered telling Lorne as he said they would be difficult to read.

--

Once they had arrived Elizabeth immediately got to work; opening her supply bag and pulled out various pieces of equipment, including some paper and pastels before sitting down in the long grass to begin her work. “This may take some time.” She warned them, as John hovered behind her.

--

“Laura. Is this the only stone your team has discovered?” asked Elizabeth once she’d finished scribbling on the paper that had been placed on top.

“Yes Dr. Weir, we scouted the immediate area and found nothing else. Why do you ask?”

“This stone indicates there are four more dotted about. Doesn’t indicate if they are on this planet though.”

“If my translation is correct there should be…” Elizabeth attempted to lift the stone slab from the lump of rock it sat on, only to find it was too heavy and looked for assistance.

John didn’t need telling, he saw the adventurous look in her eyes and he moved over to help. “What are you expecting to find?”

“On the count of three, we’ll find out.”

John took up a position next to her, and readied his muscles to lift the lid.

As Elizabeth counted down to three, Rodney tried to decipher some text near the bottom he just discovered. He was surprised Elizabeth had missed it. If her hunch was correct their problems would soon be over; for a while at least, on the other hand it could also be the… “Stop!”

Shouted Rodney as Elizabeth hit three and both she and John removed the covering.

Elizabeth had known she was right. A Zero Point Module, sat lifelessly underneath, situated in a machine like slot. Only it wasn’t the usual colour she had expected it to be, this was shaded in blue and green.

The device started glowing the minute the top was removed. A few markings on the stone lit up in the light it created.

“I think we should leave!” Announced Rodney as the sky darkened and electrified clouds started to form overhead.

“Why?” asked John seemingly not afraid of a little storm despite how it had manifested.

“I think I just let the cat out the bag.” answered Elizabeth.

“Meaning.”

Rodney was already moving away. “Meaning we’re in trouble. If we don’t leave soon!”

John sighed and rubbed his face and looked at Elizabeth. “This is definitely the first and last time I let you out.”

“Where’s you sense of adventure?”

“It just opted out. Come on. Everyone back to the gate!”

Elizabeth quickly gathered her things together, but John pulled her away. “Forget it! No time.”

Elizabeth clasped her hand around the last piece of paper she needed before John pulled her to her feet and rushed her towards the gate.
            It makes me want to read more, so that's good

Sig by me

Comment

Discussion Questions for The Game

1. How did you feel about 'the game's' effects on the planet involved? Were you amused, annoyed, surprised, shocked? Or something else?

2. This story focuses on the 'bickering' element of the McShep relationship--do you think they should be over it at this point, or just par for the course?

3. Were the changes made to the countries of Hallona and Geldar by the Lanteans realistic in your mind?

4. This was a script written by Carl Binder, who has churned out such stories as "Before I Sleep", "The Real World", and "Echoes". How was this story the same (or different) from some of his other episodes?

5. What did you think of the supporting roles of Ronon and Teyla in this episode?

6. Lorne and Zelenka have amusing and character building roles in "The Game" do you approve or disapprove?

7. If you had your way, what would have been accomplished on Atlantis as far as treaty talks before the two country leaders were allowed to return to their lands?

8. Did you buy the line that this episode was sort of an 'ethical dilemma' like the Baby/crowd question McKay poses at the beginning of the episode? How?

9. Did you think the Daedalus and McKay's hologram 'virtual war' was smart? Hokey? Realistic?

10. Elizabeth is seen as being a stern, commanding leader in this episode. Did you like that characterization of her? Was she too tough, too stern, or just right?

--Sparky bonus--

1) What was the Sparkiest moment you found in a relatively un-Sparky episode?

2) How would you have made this episode more Sparky without being too un-canon-like?
              Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Discussion Questions for The Game

1. How did you feel about 'the game's' effects on the planet involved? Were you amused, annoyed, surprised, shocked? Or something else?

Amused. It didn't seem real so the moral implications didn't bother me. I liked the way Rodney's country was so much more advanced than John's. John had obviously not been thinking outside the box and had been sticking strickly to the rules.

2. This story focuses on the 'bickering' element of the McShep relationship--do you think they should be over it at this point, or just par for the course?

Bickering is the way these writers defined the McShep relationship. Without bickering they would not know how to write them. In this one I think they tried to show that they are best buds who hang out and play games on a regular basis. It softened Rodney a bit and made John seem more like a geek. I think it failed on both counts because it seemed to come out of the blue and was OOC on both counts. But that is par for the course with TPTB.

3. Were the changes made to the countries of Hallona and Geldar by the Lanteans realistic in your mind?

Hard to say because it was part of the game. I think Rodney got bored and just started doing all kinds of things, mostly sticking with the Industrial Revolution period. John seemed to be stuck in a medieval warfare mindset. Frankly, John didn't show very much imagination. As usual, I blame the writers.

4. This was a script written by Carl Binder, who has churned out such stories as "Before I Sleep", "The Real World", and "Echoes". How was this story the same (or different) from some of his other episodes?

I wouldn't have guessed Binder, but I guess the little character moments were similar to the stuff he's done before. The Lorne/Zelenka part was similar to how he's written Ronon/Teyla or even John/Rodney before. He just took the McShep bickering a bit too far. And Elizabeth as Mama Bear was a little grating. She seemed way too cranky.

5. What did you think of the supporting roles of Ronon and Teyla in this episode?

I liked the way they were exasperated with the boys. Teyla especially gave them some great looks and eye rolls. Those two will just never understand the Earthlings. They supported yes, but seemed to be a better part of the plot than in later seasons. Maybe less like wallpaper and more like what I think they are meant to be, secondary characters.

6. Lorne and Zelenka have amusing and character building roles in "The Game" do you approve or disapprove?

I very much approve. It fleshed out their characters and made them more real. Those two have great chemistry. Too bad we don't see them together more often. And I liked the way their game seemed to mirror the McShep game. Maybe the intent of CB was to show how addictive the game is. Anyway, it was nicely done.

7. If you had your way, what would have been accomplished on Atlantis as far as treaty talks before the two country leaders were allowed to return to their lands?

Weir would have gotten to the bottom of the conflict. It seemed obvious to me that there was a personal connection between the two leaders. Weir should have picked up on that and made them tell her what it was really all about. She should have been more forceful and less like a kindergarten teacher scolding a couple of kids for fighting on the playground. CB dropped the ball there and gave fuel to the Weir critics.

8. Did you buy the line that this episode was sort of an 'ethical dilemma' like the Baby/crowd question McKay poses at the beginning of the episode? How?

Good grief no. That scene was like a hammer to the skull. Aesop's Fables were more subtle. But it didn't work. And I think John was just pulling Rodney's leg. T and R were genuinely confused.

9. Did you think the Daedalus and McKay's hologram 'virtual war' was smart? Hokey? Realistic?

Hokey and unrealistic, but smart considering who they were dealing with. It would only have worked on the really stupid. Or a culture with no sphere of reference to anything outside their own towns.

10. Elizabeth is seen as being a stern, commanding leader in this episode. Did you like that characterization of her? Was she too tough, too stern, or just right?

Wishy washy. Not too stern in the sense that shutting down the game was the best plan but she seemed to be already ticked off about something else. She was too quick to scold J and R. What was wrong with them not telling her about the game? Do they have to account for every minute of their time? It was understandable when she found out the countries were real that she be mad, but they didn't know so why go off on them like a stern mother. I think this is one of those times when they found it hard to pinpoint what her character was intended to be and it led to all kinds of problems with the viewers. Mostly it led to a lot of the threads on this very forum that were overly critical of her and gave ammunition to those who wanted to find a reason to dislike her and say she was a mother figure. But all that said, I think it was unintentional. Someone should have picked up on that and had them soften her with the boys and make her more leaderly with the leaders.

--Sparky bonus--

1) What was the Sparkiest moment you found in a relatively un-Sparky episode?

I mentioned yesterday that I thought Elizabeth gave John an extra glare in every scene. It seemed more personal with them, like he was disappointing her on a whole other level than Rodney. And if I'm not mistaken I think they finished each other's sentences a couple of times.

2) How would you have made this episode more Sparky without being too un-canon-like?

In the last scene I would have had her either lean over him and maybe move one of his chess pieces and him look up at her. Or I would have had her go over on Rodney's side and distract John with Rodney noticing and taking advantage by cheating.
                sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Good afternoon, Sparkies!

Hello guys - it's one day before my exam and I'm a wreck of nerves. This learning period I had was more or less successful, I wish I had more time, and certainly more willpower for this.... also, all the legal stuff I had to stomach definitely isn't my kind of thing..... so, the "mission most likely to end up badly is a go", or whatever the quote was. Rec me something fluffy to read? And cross your fingers for me tomorrow.
                  *hugs Anuna* Gah, legal mumbo jumbo makes my head turn into goo (and not in a good way!).

Fluff ye want (and hey, it's Fluff!Day, too!), then fluff ye shall have!

Night Moves, by Mama Jo. A late night in the rec room brings out a competitive streak in John and Elizabeth. Not that they didn't have one already.

Happy reading!
                  (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                  Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                    Good afternoon, Sparkies!

*hugs Anuna* Gah, legal mumbo jumbo makes my head turn into goo (and not in a good way!).

Fluff ye want (and hey, it's Fluff!Day, too!), then fluff ye shall have!

Night Moves, by Mama Jo. A late night in the rec room brings out a competitive streak in John and Elizabeth. Not that they didn't have one already.

Happy reading!
                    Awwwwww...that was so cute! Thanks for the rec!
                    Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                      Awwwwww...that was so cute! Thanks for the rec!
                      You're welcome! The mental image of Lizzie and John playing Wii table tennis until dawn just cracks me up.
                      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Anybody who hasn't voted for sparky. Vote please.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...=63473&page=66

Spoiler:

ROUND 25

1. John/Ronon vs Elizabeth/Daniel

2. Carson/Laura vs John/Nancy

3. Teyla/Ronon vs Rodney/Jennifer

4. Teyla/Carson vs Teyla/Michael

5. Elizabeth/Steven vs Rodney/Carson

6. Rodney/Laura vs Jennifer/Evan

7. Elizabeth/Carson vs Ronon/Jennifer

8. John/Elizabeth vs John/Teyla

9. Elizabeth/Ronon vs Evan/Laura

10. Elizabeth/Rodney vs Elizabeth/Radek

11. Teyla/Kate vs John/Vala

12. Carson/Alison vs John/Rodney

13. Chuck/Amelia vs Teyla/Kanaan

14. Ronon/Sam vs Rodney/Katie

15. John/Sam vs Ronon/Amelia

16. Teyla/Rodney vs Teyla/Evan
                        sigpic
                        My OTP's LEAP with passion. Weir did it better.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post

In the last scene I would have had her either lean over him and maybe move one of his chess pieces and him look up at her. Or I would have had her go over on Rodney's side and distract John with Rodney noticing and taking advantage by cheating.
                          THIS. Actually I was expecting something like this. I was like what why did something not happen?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ruined_puzzle View Post
                            THIS. Actually I was expecting something like this. I was like what why did something not happen?
                            So was I! It just seemed like a perfect opportunity for Elizabeth to do something, say something profound to them. But she just stands there and then walks away? Argh.

Comment

Exams are evil.
                              Yes, they are.

And don't forget to to your Patriotic Duty. Vote John/Elizabeth!

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                                So was I! It just seemed like a perfect opportunity for Elizabeth to do something, say something profound to them. But she just stands there and then walks away? Argh.
                                Such a waste. But then that's SGA for you. Wasting away potential awesome.

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
                                Yes, they are.

And don't forget to to your Patriotic Duty. Vote John/Elizabeth!

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
                                We are tied.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X