Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to let you all know...

I AM a shep/weir shipper, but I'm not getting involved in this thread...

...I put in too much energy in S/J ship, and while I'm certain we'll get our resolution...I'm not prepared to go through that again.

I want John and Liz to explore their friendship first before anything romantic happens.
    sigpic
    Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Personally, I think Simon's a mistake. Not necciserily the character, Just who plays him. It's the same guy that played narim, the Tollan. If Atlantis and SG-1 ever crossover, there would be some simon problems.

Back on topic, I personally think that Sheppard/Taelia(Don't know how to spell it) will actually be a real relation ship. I think this because of the moment they shared when Sheppard found taelia's necklace. It ultimately may have cost them their lives, but that's not the point.
      You look but you do not see. You listen but you do not hear. You cannot accept us, but we are here to stay. You think we are just a shadow, a bad memory that will go away if you ignore us long enough but we won't.

We are human too whether you like it or not. We are here and our time is now. Together we can only soar. We will remain strong forever more, and nothing can quell our pride.

-LGBT-

Comment

The problem with that theory is that it's so early in the show — it was probably filmed before the Atlantis publicity abandoned Sheppard/Teyla. There for a while they talked about it (though interestingly, it all said that Teyla was initially seen as a romantic interest for Sheppard), but sometime before the first publicity pictures were released it was abandoned.

So now the only person talking about Sheppard/Teyla as a viable possibility in the show is Rachel Luttrell, and I suspect it's just something that she wants to happen. When Joe Flanigan is asked about it, he usually says something along the lines of "we're friends" or "we're not going that direction." It was the original plan, sure, but that doesn't mean it's stuck around or that it means anything anymore. There have been plenty of opportunities for them to develop Sheppard/Teyla as a viable ship, and they've been passed by — often filled with Sheppard/Weir interaction. Teyla's line about expecting too much from Sheppard in "Letters" seemed to me to mean that she's acknowledging that her little crush on him isn't going to go anywhere, because it's too much to ask of him.

Hmm. I may have to write up something on Sheppard's treatment of Teyla as opposed to his treatment of Weir. The latter he treats as an equal (most of the time) and a friend, whereas Teyla he treats as a subordinate.
        Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
        Last update: 14 April 2006
        Melyanna's Multimedia
        Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

I too have noticed the Rachel comments about Teyla/Shep, while everyone else seems to be backing away.

With Beckett becoming a reg in Season 2 and new characters being introduced, I'm hoping Teyla becomes a more minor character as time goes by. I really don't like the character of Teyla at all - she just doesn't have any "spark" to her.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I think Teyla had the potential to be interesting, but with four other people in the credits and Beckett getting his own episode in the first half, it would have been difficult to develop her. On top of that, I don't think Rachel Luttrell is a terribly good actress, to be honest. She just doesn't have the subtleties of reaction that Joe Flanigan, Torri Higginson, David Hewlett, and Paul McGillion display in every scene they're in. Part of that is a matter of experience, though — those four actors are all older than she is and have done a lot more work.
            Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
            Last update: 14 April 2006
            Melyanna's Multimedia
            Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Hmm. I may have to write up something on Sheppard's treatment of Teyla as opposed to his treatment of Weir. The latter he treats as an equal (most of the time) and a friend, whereas Teyla he treats as a subordinate.

I think Teyla's 'position/role' causes some interesting problems. As she is not either a military or civilian member of Atlantis like everyone else she is in a unique relationship with everyone. Sheppard treats both Weir and Teyla as equals when engaging with them on a personal level but it's different when he is in his role as the senior military officer. Weir is his superior but as a civilian commander she defers to him on military issues and most of the time he refers back to her for the go ahead on his decisions. Teyla however has been added to his team for missions and therefore whether off -world or in a military situation on Atlantis is under his authority. He does treat her as a subordinate then but she still has more freedom, and has shown this, than say Ford to question Sheppard's descisions.

Maybe it was because of Teyla's unique position that it was thought early on to pair her with Sheppard to try and circumvent the usual SG relationships across ranks problem. I know the rules don't apply quite the same to Weir/Sheppard that they did to Sam/Jack but she is still in overall charge and it makes it messy. However the chem between Teyla and Sheppard just isn't there and her character just hasn't been given enough personality so far to make any ship that interesting. I am not sure why the monosyllabic-blank expressioned 'alien' thing worked with Teal'c but doesn't with Teyla but it just doesn't.

Esther
              ~ Esther~ My Live Journal
              FBI - Body Preservation Division

Comment

Originally posted by Battera
                Personally, I think Simon's a mistake. Not necciserily the character, Just who plays him. It's the same guy that played narim, the Tollan. If Atlantis and SG-1 ever crossover, there would be some simon problems.

Back on topic, I personally think that Sheppard/Taelia(Don't know how to spell it) will actually be a real relation ship. I think this because of the moment they shared when Sheppard found taelia's necklace. It ultimately may have cost them their lives, but that's not the point.
                *cough* this is the Shep/Weir discussion thread, not the Shep/Tey'la thread, or the Atlantis ship discussion so unless you want to discuss Shep/Weir...or why Shep and Tey'la shouldn't be together because it might mean Shep/Weir, then there is a Atlantis ship discussion thread somewhere else...

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay

...I put in too much energy in S/J ship, and while I'm certain we'll get our resolution...I'm not prepared to go through that again.

I want John and Liz to explore their friendship first before anything romantic happens.
                  Aw SueKay, aw... come and play. We dont care about canon in Weir/Shep land, if canon suits us fine, if it doesn't we just blithely ignore it and continue playing...

Agreed, re friendship..

Comment

Teal'c may have the "blank" alien look - but Chris Judge has a way of putting humor or menace into that blank look. The face is flat. . but you always know what he is thinking. That is what makes a good actor, and Rachel just doesn't have that ability to leap beyond the words in a script.

Sorry for the "rag on Rachel" tirade. Now back to our regularly scheduled "ship".

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Definitly agree with you about their friendship.

As for going through what we've been put through with S/J... I was reluctant to get into it again with W/S, but unfortunately I just can't seem to stay away from ship...

Comment

Originally posted by astronomicalchick
                        Aw SueKay, aw... come and play. We dont care about canon in Weir/Shep land, if canon suits us fine, if it doesn't we just blithely ignore it and continue playing...
                        I agree. Come on, Sue! :-)

This feels all exciting and new. After being an S/J shipper for nearly eight years, it's nice to be at the beginning again.

(Why do I have RDA's "Talk to me in eight years" in my head now?)

In a world that seems to be increasing in conformity
                        it's harder and harder to be who you wanna be
                        It takes a lot of courage to stand up and get what you need
                        And lots of us are happy in a different kind of family

Comment

I just...Ship on SG1's flagging, but I'm still hopeful for a resolution...I wanna make sure that ship is sailing smoothly before I move on.

I'm enjoying Atlantis more than SG1, but I'm more loyal to SG1 as I have invested more in it.

It's also very dissheartening when most of the original GW shippers have moved on
                          sigpic
                          Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

I just...Ship on SG1's flagging, but I'm still hopeful for a resolution...I wanna make sure that ship is sailing smoothly before I move on.

I'm enjoying Atlantis more than SG1, but I'm more loyal to SG1 as I have invested more in it.

It's also very dissheartening when most of the original GW shippers have moved on

(((((((((sueKay))))))))) I know how you feel. I agree with EVERYTHING you just said. And yes, it's kinda sad. I feel a little torn in two by all of this, the disappointment and the anger on the J/S side and the giddyness on the S/W side. It's confusing. I might need a couple of weeks in Tibet or somewhere where I have a lot of time to think.

In a world that seems to be increasing in conformity
                            it's harder and harder to be who you wanna be
                            It takes a lot of courage to stand up and get what you need
                            And lots of us are happy in a different kind of family

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                              Yes. I've bitten the bullet, I want a place to talk about the possibilities of a budding emotional relationship between Major John Sheppard and Dr. Elizabeth Weir on Stargate: Atlantis.

This is for pro-ship discussion, anti-ship discussion will be considered off topic. Please let's have fun, and be nice to each other.

So, you may be asking, why would anyone see ship in Atlantis? Didn't TPTB learn their lesson from the Jack/Sam ship in SG1? Didn't they publicize Sheppard/Teyla ship? Is or is not Weir married? What are the scenes where people see John/Elizabeth ship?

Sounds like grounds for good discussion to me
                              Doesn't Dr. Weir have a husband or boyfriend (the guy who played Narim from the Tollan epis on SG-1) at home? I wonder if she realized how long she'd be gone from him and whether she knew she might develop feelings for someone on Atlantis?

I think Dr. Weir respects Major Sheppard (soon to be LTC Sheppard), and he sure respects her, but do you really think she could give up on her guy at home that easily? Dr. Weir also seems to try very hard to control her emotions, so maybe falling in love, to her would be a sign of weakness? What do you guys think?

IMO, I think maybe Maj. Sheppard and Teyla might have more in common and might hit it off better.

Comment

Possible Spoiler Pic.

OK, sorry if i'm intensely dense, but who the heck is that? That's Weir, isn't it... and someone who's NOT Sheppard!?!??! :O

I couldn't find it in anywhere on actual GW, but it was just a header...

WHY IS IT NOT SHEP!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
                                The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                                |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Working...
                                X